Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Three letters arrive, bearing some unexpected news.

I would like to thank Jade Sullivan for her portrayal of Sirius in her story, Starting From Scratch, which served as an inspiration for my own rendering of him in this chapter.
Unexpected Tidings

It was a day before the Healers agreed to allow Draco out of their care and Severus returned to the manor with his sons, Smidgen, and Sarai. The two boys were recovering well from their physical injuries, though both had nightmares and had to be soothed back to sleep by Severus and Sarai. Draco had dreamed of the darkhound attacking him and Harry of not being able to save his brother, both rather harrowing dreams, requiring the adults to reassure and hug them, though the Potions Master refused to give them any Dreamless Sleep.

"Smidgen shall keep watch over your dreams, and if you need us, we'll be right in the next room," Severus said, after tucking Draco back into bed.

Once they had departed, Draco stared at the wall and muttered, "I feel like such a wimp, waking up screaming and crying over a stupid dream. I mean, my arm's nearly healed and now I'm dreaming of the damn dog eating it all over again."

"Tell me about it." Harry said feelingly. "That's how it was with me and my nightmares."

:Memory is a powerful thing, younglings: purred Smidgen, floating gracefully over their heads in lazy spirals. :Sometimes your mind shoves emotions away because it cannot handle them at the moment, and they return in dreams, because then you have let your guard down, and your mind is trying to deal with them that way.:

"Yeah, but does my mind have to embarrass the hell out of me by making me bawl all over my godfather like a baby?" Draco queried irritably.

:There is no shame in tears and fear, young Malfoy. Fear is what keeps you alive and tears are necessary for releasing sorrow and anxiety. You have both experienced far more than your share of either for your age, so none of us find it surprising you should react this way over a "mere" dream, as you say.: the shimmerling said serenely. :In fact, it would be abnormal if you didn't react like this, and you would require more of me than to just watch your dreams.:

"Maybe so, but it's still damn embarrassing," grumbled Draco.

"Yeah," agreed Harry. He blushed hotly as he recalled clinging to Sarai and weeping into her shoulder that he had let Draco die and he was sorry. At first, he had thought his father had come, but then he realized it was Sarai after a moment, and had wanted to die. Thank Merlin the warrior had not spoken to him save to whisper that it was just a dream and hold him until he had stopped crying. He bet she had never woken up crying like a little kid over a dream. Although, for an instant, he had reveled in her gentle touch, thinking wistfully that this was what it must be like to have a mother.

:Silly children, there are much worse things to be embarrassed over. Now close your eyes and go to sleep.:

Both teenagers obeyed her after a minute, and Smidgen slipped into their minds after a few minutes had gone by and ensured they would sleep the rest of the night through soundly, and wake the next morning refreshed and calm.

 

* * * * * *

 

"You leave tomorrow morning," Severus whispered sadly into Sarai's slightly pointed ear. "I wish . . . " he trailed off, for they both knew what he wanted to say, but couldn't articulate. I wish you never had to leave. I wish you could forsake your duty and remain here with me.

"I know," she whispered back, nestling deeper into his arms, as they attempted to go back to sleep after the night's drama. "I wish that too."

"It's too bad we never get what we wish for," he sighed, his breath tickling her ear and making her quiver.

"I wouldn't say never, Sev. I have you for a little while."

"But it's never enough."

"True, but we appreciate each other all the more, beloved. And I can make this moment stretch into eternity, so it sustains me when we're apart."

"But I want to give you so much more," Severus said, frustrated.

"You give me more than any man ever has, fae or mortal, Severus. Only with you can I be just Sarai, and not the Captain. You alone have seen past the mask of honor and duty to the woman beneath."

"Perhaps because I wear the same mask."

"Not anymore. You can let it go now, Sev." One finger came up to caress his cheek. "I look forward to the day I can do the same."

"You have two more years," he sighed.

"And what is that? Two years is nearly nothing, it will be over before you know it, Sev. Then nothing will ever separate us again."

"I'm sorry, this wasn't how I wanted to spend our last night together," he admitted. "I had planned on something a little more romantic." He sighed ruefully. "Typical. I try for romance and end up comforting two scared kids. Not that I'm blaming them, but this wasn't what I'd wanted to leave you with."

"Severus, you have nothing to be sorry for. I don't mind helping you with your sons, you know I like children, hard though that may be to believe of a hardass warrior like myself. Did you think I'd just stand there and watch Harry sobbing his head off and not do anything? Because if you say yes, I'll punch you out," she said indignantly. "Nobody knows better than I do what it's like to hold a comrade in your arms and pray he doesn't take his last breath in them. Or a relative. And if I can offer that boy comfort, I'll do so, and to the crows with lost sleep. I've wept over too many graves to ever be cavalier over another's pain, especially a child's. Especially your child's."

"You truly don't mind?"

"Ask me that one more time, Snape, and I'm going to hit you good and hard," she threatened, smacking him on the top of the head. "Fool man, that is what it means to be part of a family, you take the good with the bad, and if I'm to be part of yours, like you wish, then I have to start somewhere, right?"

"Yes, but . . ."

"Hush, Sev. Let us have this night and not worry about what has been or will be. Tomorrow is soon enough to say goodbye." She began to kiss him.

"You never say goodbye," he murmured inbetween them. "You always say until we meet again."

"Because we will meet again, beloved. Someday soon. Now quit talking and show me some of that romance you mentioned, Potions Master," she ordered, smiling.

"Your wish is my command, my love," he laughed, and then he did as she had ordered, making their last night truly unforgettable.

* * * * * *

Dawn came far too swiftly for the inhabitants of the manor, as the three wizards bid a reluctant farewell to the half-fae Captain, who departed as quickly as she had come after one last kiss from Severus and a promise to both boys to return next summer and teach them more of the art of being a shadow and perhaps take them on a hunt that did not end in disaster.

"You two behave for your father, you hear?" she mock-growled.

"We'll try," Draco said. "Be careful, Sarai."

"Yeah, don't go getting yourself hurt while Dad's not there to patch you up," Harry cautioned, grinning.

"I won't, you impudent whelp," she chuckled, giving him a playful swat.

Then, after one last round of hugs, Sarai turned and waved, calling over her shoulder, "Until we meet again, my wizards!"

Then she summoned the Gate to her and stepped through it, and the last thing she heard was Severus calling, "Until we meet again, love. Keep yourself safe, Sarai Valinek."

Then the Gate closed and the three men returned to the manor, to count the days until next summer and prepare for the upcoming school year.

* * * * * *

Severus checked the hourglass clock upon the mantle, pleased that his calculations had been correct, and by dawn tomorrow, the manor's time would have caught up with the real world's once again, and they would be back where they had started, when he had first gone to fetch Draco from the orphanage, a week before school started.

It had been a summer of unexpected surprises and changes, he thought, not at all what he had thought it would be when term had ended back in May. He wondered what the new term would bring, and prayed it wouldn't cause him to have an early coronary. Being a spy and a teacher had not prepared him for being a father, but he was doing his best, and they would all muddle through somehow.

Quit brooding, Snape, and take your two sons shopping for school supplies, he ordered himself briskly. If they timed it right, they could be in and out of Diagon Alley without answering any awkward questions from people. Or make that refusing to answer any awkward questions, Snape amended.

Three hours later, they returned to the manor, laden down with purchases-school robes and uniforms, quills and parchment and ink, potion ingredients, new cauldrons, books, the latest Quidditch magazine (Ireland had won the World Cup), sweets, and a copy of the Prophet.

Once they had finished putting all of their new school things away, the two boys settled down to read the Quidditch magazine and The Daily Prophet while munching on the sweets they'd bought.

 

"Not too many of those, else you won't eat dinner," their father cautioned.

"What are we having?" asked Draco, skimming the Quidditch section of the paper first.

"I haven't decided yet. You'll know when you're eating it," answered Severus.

"Whatever," the teenager shrugged, flipping the paper over to read the headlines.

The gray eyes opened wide in shock.

"Bloody damn hell!" he cursed softly, reading the main headline rapidly.

 

LUCIUS AND NARCISSA MALFOY TO STAND TRIAL

 

Wednesday August 24th Wizengamot Convenes for Death Eaters

 

 

By Myra Newsie

 

 

It's the trial of the decade, no other criminal family had garnered as much press coverage as that of the Malfoys, husband and wife, who are charged with being known active supporters of You-Know-Who and his most ardent followers. Not since the trial of Sirius Black have the courts seen such a turn-out for spectator presentation. It's rumored they may have to open up another gallery to accommodate all those who wish to witness the proceedings. Lucius Marcus Malfoy, age 35, and his wife Narcissa Audrey Malfoy ne Black, also 35, are accused of being cold-hearted Muggle-hating, child torturing supporters of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, a scandal that has rocked the pureblood wizarding world like none before it. The Malfoys were previously known for their generous donations to Hogwarts School and the Ministry of Magic, where Mr. Malfoy had a seat upon the Board of Governors and as an advisor to the Minister of Magic. But could those seeming philanthropic acts have been a mere cover to hide his true purpose, to gather information for his Death Eater allies and gain a foothold in the government in preparation for some nefarious takeover? These questions and many others will hopefully be answered at their trial, which is set for August 24th. If proven guilty, the couple will be sentenced to life in Azkaban, and their estate and their fortune will be held in trust for their only child, Draco Michael Malfoy, who is currently in custody of his godfather and guardian, Professor Severus Snape. Snape, a Potions Master and former spy for the Order of the Phoenix is rumored to have been summoned as a witness for the prosecution at the Malfoy trial. What secrets does he hold and what will he reveal about the true nature of the Malfoys? Attend the trial on Wednesday to find out!

 

 

"What is it?" Harry asked, coming to examine the paper Draco was staring at. "Oh, holy Merlin!"

"What's wrong?" asked Severus, peering over Harry's shoulder to see what was making the two so upset. "Damn and blast! I was afraid of this."

"Are you going to serve as witness, Uncle Sev?" asked his ward, pale with anger and embarrassment.

"I can't answer that, Draco, as I have not yet received an official summons from the prosecution."

"But if they do ask?"

"Then I shall do my civil duty and act as witness on behalf of the prosecution, Draco. I have no reason to protect your father and every reason to want him put away for life," stated Severus firmly. "For several lifetimes, considering all the misery and harm he has caused. And your mother is just as guilty, for she knew what he was and what he did at those meetings and she covered up and supported him. Albus has my official reports of what occurred at the Death Eater meetings I attended as evidence, but I will not hesitate to add details to them if required. This is justice, no more and no less, and it is about time She turned her eyes towards Lucius and Narcissa."

"I know that, Uncle Sev. I wasn't going to say anything against you prosecuting them. I wanted to know if you were going so I could go too." Draco said, a fierce gleam in his storm-gray eyes.

"Draco, are you sure that is wise?"

The youngest Malfoy nodded. "Yes. I want to be there. I want them to know that I'm not their little puppet anymore, that I don't support anything they stand for, and that I never did. I want to watch and listen to the trial, so I can see them get what was coming to them. Please, sir, may I go?"

He was silent for a moment, considering. He knew the trial was sure to be a media circus, and he wasn't sure if it was all that safe for Draco to be there, but at the same time he knew the boy needed to get closure for good regarding his parents. Perhaps the trial would help him do that, and hopefully the outcome was favorable for the prosecution.

"Very well. You may accompany me if and when I am summoned to act as witness. Otherwise, you may go with me as a spectator."

"How about me, Dad? Can I go too?" Harry asked.

"You may, provided you stay under cover beneath that cursed Invisibility Cloak of Potter's," Severus ordered. "I don't want Dumbledore catching a glimpse of you and trying to accost you before you're at Hogwarts."

"Okay, Dad. Speaking of Hogwarts, what am I gonna tell everyone when I go back? I mean, will I be allowed to be your son there, or am I still going to have to pretend to be Harry Potter?"

Severus rubbed a hand over his eyes. "I haven't decided whether or not to reveal your true parentage, Harry. I need to think about it some more, but I'll have an answer for you before you get on the train to Hogwarts."

"Okay." Harry agreed, then turned back to reading his Quidditch magazine, wondering uneasily if the Malfoys' money and influence would manage to sway the jury and save them from Azkaban. And what would happen to Draco then? Harry knew that his brother would probably run away rather than be sent back to live with his parents again after living here with Severus. The trial was in three days, then they would see if justice truly was blind and impartial.

 

* * * * * *

 

 

 

The next morning, three unfamiliar owls descended upon the manor, sending Hedwig, who was trying to teach her fledglings to fly, into an absolute tizzy. She attacked the first intruder, pecking him badly until the poor owl nearly flew headfirst into the window, trying to get away from the furious mother owl.

"Hedwig! What's gotten into you?" Harry scolded, yanking open the kitchen window just before the brown owl collapsed under his snowy bird's assault.

He cradled the brown owl in his hands, noting with relief that it seemed more shaken than hurt.

Hedwig hissed angrily at it before gliding away, ignoring Harry's scolding.

"She's very defensive and territorial because of her fledglings, Harry," explained Severus, rising to take the message the brown owl was trying to deliver to him. "She wants to protect them and any strange owl is seen as a threat." He untied the message from the brown owl's leg and thanked it with a handful of owl treats.

The outside of the envelope bore the official seal of the Ministry of Magic. "Ah. The letter I've been waiting for."

"Is it the summons, Dad?"

"Yes," replied the Potions Master, breaking the seal and scanning the contents. "It's official now. We shall all be attending the Malfoys' trial."

"Well, that's a good thing, I guess." Harry said, then was drawn back to the window by another screeching row outside.

He watched in dismay as another unfamiliar owl, this one a nondescript gray-barred barn owl, attempted to flee from both Hedwig and Stormrider, who were dive bombing the poor creature.

"Hey! Cut it out, you two!" Harry yelled. "He's only doing his job, you ought to know that! Merlin, have you both gone bonkers?"

Severus rose and went to the window as well. "It's no use shouting at them, Harry. Parenting instinct is very strong in owls with young at this time, and they are simply reacting according to their nature."

"But they're trying to kill the darn messenger, Dad!"

"No, not kill, simply drive him off." Severus corrected, then he waved his wand and summoned the owl inside the manor before Hedwig or Stormy injured him badly.

The little barn owl hooted gratefully as soon as it was inside the kitchen, then stuck out its leg to Harry, who raised an eyebrow and removed the proffered letter. "Thanks. It's from . . .Sirius!" he gasped. "Hell's bells, he's finally written me back." He turned back to the owl and fed it some treats. "Sorry about that, whoever you are. Hedwig's normally nice."

The barn owl chirruped, then flew out the window and quickly away from the manor.

"You wrote to your, ah, godfather?" Severus queried, just managing to keep the sneer from his tone.

"Yeah, ages ago, back when you first came to the Dursleys." Harry admitted. "I wanted to tell him the truth about me, I felt he should know, so I wrote him, but this is the first time I've gotten a response to my letter."

"Perhaps he was too shocked to offer congratulations," said Severus sarcastically.

Harry ignored him, tearing open the envelope and reading the following letter.

Dear Harry,

Sorry I haven't written a response to the letter you sent way back at the beginning of August, but the truth was I didn't quite know how to respond to it at first. Okay, at first I damn near had a heart attack when I read it, I'll admit it. But then, once I calmed down some, I had to admit that it made a kind of sense.

I had always known that Lily and . . .and Snivellus-I mean Severus, sorry force of habit, had a thing for each other. I never understood what she saw in him, but Lily was never what you'd call an ordinary girl. She always went her own way, and to the devil with what anybody thought or said. She got into plenty of fights over her dating a Slytherin, I can tell you, and not just with James either. Once she clocked a girl named Leticia Brown for saying that Slytherins were nothing but scumbag whoremasters and baby rapers, and asking her how she could bear the touch of one? I think Brown drank the rest of her meals through a straw for a week.

After that all the girls were careful to shut up around Firebrand Lil, as they called her, and nobody ever said anything offensive about Snape in her hearing again. Except James, of course, because he never seemed to know how to keep his mouth shut, and he was jealous as all get out that Lily preferred Snape over him.

Guess that's why he was so shocked when Lily agreed to marry him. Well, of course we all thought Snape was dead, but we never thought Lily was pregnant by him. Stupid, right? Guy was her fiancee, it was only natural they'd be . . .I'm sure you can draw your own picture here. James was over the moon, of course, and he didn't seem to care that he was playing second fiddle to a dead man.

I was happy for him, don't get me wrong, but I always thought Lily was a bit . . .distant from him. But I guess she would've been, since her heart was already given to Snape, and she was carrying his child. I wish she had told James, though. He would have understood. At least I think he would've. He loved you, Harry. He was a reckless idiot and he loved a good time too much, like me, but he loved the idea of being a father. He used to play all kinds of games with you and take you flying on his broom.

But the bottom line is that he raised a kid that wasn't his, or tried to, until Moldywarts came and wrecked everything. And then Dumbledore sent you to live with your Muggle relatives and Pettigrew framed me and you lived in hell until Snape rescued you. I'm sorry I didn't go with my gut instinct when I lent Hagrid my motorcycle and take it and you and run away somewhere. From what you told me, your uncle was as bad as any Death Eater, and for once in my life I'm in total agreement with Snape, he gave the bastard exactly what he deserved and then some.

As for Albus, I can't say I'm shocked, not after being in Azkaban and seeing the kind of double-dealing that goes on there. Bribes are common between guards and prisoners there, they aren't all dementors, and if you've got the right connections or information, you can get things . . .anyway, I stopped worshipping the ground Albus walked on the day I was sent to prison and he refused to utter a word in my behalf. So your secret is safe with me, Harry.

I'm glad that you've got a father who cares about you and doesn't hurt you, at least Snape's done one good thing in his life by taking you away from the Dursleys, and so long as you're happy with him, I can live with the fact that you're a Snape and not a Potter. I know how important that is, trust me, and I hope Snape does too and treats you decent. But if not, you write me and I'll come over and kick his skinny arse, okay?

Harry bit back a chuckle at that last statement, and flipped the parchment over. Merlin, Sirius! What'd you write, a biography? He continued reading.

And now for the real shocker. I can't tell you my location, just in case this letter is intercepted by agents of Old Snake Face, but I know you must be wondering what became of your aunt and cousin once Dumbledore took them away from Privet Drive after the Death Eaters killed your uncle. I have the answer to that question.

They're living with me.

Pick yourself up off the floor, kid. I know, it's a shock.

It was for me too, when Dumbledore shows up out of the blue with them on my doorstep. "You'll be safe here," he tells your Aunt Petunia and Dudley, and then vanishes without so much as a by your leave. Crazy old man!

Anyhow, they've been living here for two weeks so far and at first it was no bed of lilies, but now we've learned to get along, and it's not bad. At least I've got company besides the hippogriff and your aunt's not a bad cook either. I was eating crackers and tinned beef-nasty stuff-before she came along and badgered Albus into getting us real food and she cooked it. She's got spunk, I have to admit. Don't know how she ever stayed married to that beast for all those years. Guess you'll endure a lot for your kid, huh?

Speaking of her kid . . .when I first met him, he was like the worst spoiled brat on the planet. Whined, complained, threw tantrums, I thought he was nine instead of fourteen sometimes. Tuney kept on him, though, so he wasn't totally a brat. Though he was trying to make her feel guilty about Vernon dying for a bit, least till I took him aside and gave him a rather stern talking-to and warned him about his behavior towards his mother. I've never been able to stand disrespect towards a woman, especially not from a husband or her own son.

Dudley probably picked it up from his old man, but that's no excuse, and the last time he mouthed off to Tuney I gave him what my dad gave me when I did that to my mother . . .a good smacking with a wooden spoon. No, I'm not kidding. I, Sirius Orion Black, solemnly swear that I did it. Kid deserved it, though I shocked the bloody blazes out of both of us, I'll say.

James is probably laughing his arse off up there at me-the rebel who thumbed his nose at authority-actually being a disciplinarian. I felt kind of weird too, at first. And I thought Tuney was gonna have my hide, but she didn't, and she told me all about how Snape did kind of the same thing when he was there. She said that Dudley needs a positive male influence in his life.

And all I said was, "Lady, I don't know how much of a positive influence I'm gonna be, seeing as I was framed and in prison, but I'll do my best, if you'll like." So . . .I guess I've become sort of a surrogate dad or something to Dudley now. I try and treat him like my dad did me and my little brother, with patience and kindness and respect, but also firmness when he needs it.

Guess I haven't done such an awful job of it, ‘cause he's a lot better than when he first came here and he calls me Siri now instead of "wizard" or "freak" and he's lost some weight living here, since we really don't get a lot to eat, so if you ever see him again, you just might not recognize him. I've no idea what plans Albus has for any of us, but I hope he doesn't think he can just waltz in here and take them off somewhere like they were bloody groceries, because I'll have a few things to say about it, damn straight I will!

Okay, I've rambled on long enough, my fingers are starting to get cramps and I haven't written this much since I went to Hogwarts and got detention from McGonagall. Hope you and your father are getting along and I'll write you soon, promise!

 

Love,

Padfoot

Harry re-read that last page two or three times before he actually comprehended it. Then he just stared at the parchment for a few minutes.

"Harry? Is something the matter? Did that-that man say something to upset you?" demanded his father.

"No, Dad. Just something that really surprised me, is all. He says he accepts the fact that you're my dad and-"

"How charitable of him!" sneered Severus.

"Dad, please! He actually said that he was glad you're my father and that you treat me decently and then he told me that Aunt Petunia and Dudley are staying with him."

Severus did a doubletake. "Excuse me? Did I hear you right? Sirius Black is living with two Muggles? And he gave me a compliment?"

"Yup. And he's trying to reform Dudley too. Here. Read it for yourself." Harry gave the letter to his father.

Severus gazed at it skeptically, then sat down at the kitchen table to read it.

When he had done at last, he said, "It's a bloody miracle! Black's finally grown up at last. Who would have thought?"

"See? Miracles do happen after all," Harry said, taking the letter back and tucking it in his pocket.

Just then Draco entered the kitchen, and blinked at seeing Harry and Severus sitting there, then said, "How can you two be so awake at this hour?"

"Draco, it's eight o'clock in the morning." Severus pointed out.

"I know, Uncle Sev. That's my point." He yawned hugely. "So, what's for breakfast?"

"We were waiting for you, Draco," said Harry, smirking. "Since you're supposed to make it this morning."

Draco groaned. "I say we need some new rules around here."

"Such as?" asked Snape.

"Such as whoever gets up first makes breakfast."

"But then you'd never have to," Harry objected.

"I know, dunderhead," Draco rolled his eyes heavenward. "That's the whole idea."

"Well, Mr. Malfoy, since this is not a democracy and the rules aren't open to negotiation until next summer, I'd suggest you start cooking something." Snape told him.

Draco scowled and went to see what was in the icebox, muttering under his breath about evil old dungeon bats that lived to torture children.

After breakfast, the third owl came, only this one was smart and flew in from the opposite end of the manor, so Hedwig didn't see him until he was already beside the kitchen window and she only screeched at him in warning instead of attacking him.

This time it was a letter from Ron.

Harry retreated to the library to read it, since he was almost positive it contained something derogatory about Malfoy in it and he didn't want the blond to see and get all mad over it.

 

Harry,

 

You must have the most awful Bad Luck Hex over you, to get stuck with Malfoy, of all people, as your . . .ugh . . .foster brother or whatever you call it. How can you stand living with that prat? I'd have thrown myself out of the window by now. Either that or strangled the git while he was sleeping.

What rotten luck, mate!

Don't know what more I can say, except don't let the prat lord it over you and make sure he doesn't try and cozy up to your dad too much, the little kiss arse! Hope you survive the rest of the summer and I'll see you next September.

Try to stay cool and not give in to temptation. Killing one's foster brother is a sin, you know. (But it would probably be very satisfying.)

 

Ron

PS: Mum says to give this recipe to your dad-it's for her chicken pot pie, and it's incredible!

Harry took the recipe card enclosed in the envelope and smiled. He'd had Mrs. Weasley's pot pie before and Ron was right-it was amazing. Guess now Dad knows what he can make for dinner tonight.

As for the rest of Ron's letter, he just shook his head and sighed. Once he might have agreed wholeheartedly with what his friend had written here, but things had changed between him and Draco over the summer, and now Malfoy was no longer his rival, but his brother. He wondered if Ron would keel over once he learned that? Harry grinned. Not to mention what the redhead would think if he ever learned that Draco had a thing for Hermione! Of course, that was one secret Harry would never tell, but it was fun just imagining the look on his best friend's face.

He exited the library, the recipe card in his hand, though before he did so, he fed the letter to the hungry flames in the fireplace, no sense in stirring up discord between Ron and Draco any more than what was already there. And Draco had enough to worry about the upcoming trial without getting all bent out of shape over Ron.

Chapter End Notes:
How did you like this one?

Next: Get ready for the trial of the Malfoys! Who wants to see them get put away?