Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

New Faces

The Hogwarts Express pulled to a stop, rousing Harry from his slumber. He realized the strong arms were no longer encircling him, and he suddenly felt very cold and alone.

"Harry, mate! You're awake!" Ron said. It was only then that Harry realised he had been laying propped up against Ron's shoulder, and that Professor Lupin and Snape were gone.

"Oh, Merlin!" The reality of what had happened hit him like a sledgehammer. He had been sleeping on Snape.

And Snape had held him.

He sat in a paralyzed stupor for a few moments, wondering how in the world he would ever live that down, and worrying about all the torture he would go through in Potion's Class for it, until Hermione waved a hand in front of his face.

"Harry. Harry? We've got to go. You had better change into your robes. You're still in your muggle clothes."

Harry didn't miss the way she wrinkled her nose just slightly as she looked at his ripped jeans and oversized t-shirt.

He nodded, grabbing his robes from the over head compartment where Hermione had hung all three sets. He shooed her out of the compartment and changed quickly, then followed her and Ron, who had escaped the compartment after Harry woke, and had been chatting with Seamus a little farther down the train.

"Hey, mate," he said as Harry came up beside him.

"Hey."

They didn't say anything more until they reached the carriages. Ron, Hermione, Harry, Seamus, and Dean all piled into one, Hermione ending up nearly sitting on Harry's lap.

Seamus, and Dean quickly huddled into a corner of the carriage, obviously looking at something. A copy of Playwitch, knowing them.

This left Harry, Ron and Hermione staring at each other uncomfortably.

"So..." Ron said, looking nervous.

"Oh, just spit it out, Ron. What happened?" Harry said, slighlty annoyed and very worried. Not to mention mortified.

Ron looked at Hermione quickly, and then, leaning closer to Harry he said,

"He held you the entire time, mate. Till about ten minutes before we stopped. Him and Professor what's his face talked a lot, and he just let you sleep on him, and he had his arms around you the whole time. And he didn't even look that mad about it!"

Ron stopped, and looking around a bit to make sure the others weren't listening, he leaned even closer to Harry and Hermione.

"You don't think he's, you know, a ped-"

"Ronald Weasley!!" Hermione screeched, halfway covering her ears. "Get your filthy mind out of the gutter and be quiet! That's the most atrocious thing you've ever said!"

"But Hermione, you didn't even let me say it!"

"Well, it's the most atrocious thing you ever almost said. Professor Snape is your teacher, and Harry's your best friend! How could you even think something so, so...horrible?!" she said, fixing him with a disgusted glare that would have made Snape proud.

"I was just saying-"

"No, I don't even want to know, Ronald Billius. Just...just hush."

She took a deep breath and turned to Harry.

"Don't worry, Harry. The way he was holding you was more...parental than anything."

"Parental?" Harry asked, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Yes, Harry. I hate to say it, but Snape, kind of...well, he..." she trailed off.

"Come on Hermione! What is it?!"

She took another deep breath. "He, he kinda looked like...a father holding his son, Harry."

She took one look at the shocked expression on his face and said hurriedly:

"I'm sorry! Did I gross you out too much?" then she glared at Ron. "Not that I could do any worse that Ronald here."

"For goodness sakes Hermione! I was just-"

"Guys, will you stop it? You sound like an old married couple when you bicker like that, and it's kinda freaking me out." Harry said, grinning softly.

Hermione slapped him on the arm playfully.

"Ow!" he yelled in mock anger, and the subject of Snape was forgotten Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger. But even as he laughed and joked with his friends, Harry's mind was reeling.

'Parental'? Why in the world would Snape look parental? And towards Harry of all people?

***

Harry, Hermione, and Ron all sat at the Gryffindor table, staring at the first years, willing them to hurry up and get sorted.

They did move quicker than normal, and after Gryffindor had cheered loud enough to break the windows, because they got five more first years than Slytherin (Percy was cheering loudest), the Headmaster stood.

Harry didn't have to look at Ron to know that he was deep in prayer, staring at the ceiling, fervently trying to persuade whatever deity that was residing there to please make Dumbledore's speech short.

"Hello, students," the old man said, smiling. "Now, most of you know, that after the unfortunate loss of professor Lockhart last year," all the boys gaped in horror at him (losing Lockhart unfortunate?) "We would have been short a Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. Luckily, I had the extreme pleasure of meeting an old student of mine by chance one day in Hogsmeade."

"Mr. Remus J. Lupin," everyone clapped as the Headmaster motioned toward the man sitting next to him. Professor Lupin waved slightly, smiling. "Has graciously agreed to teach you all for the term. And possibly next term as well, if you all behave."

He fixed the students with a mock glare, making them laugh just a little bit.

"I'm sure you'll all be on you best behavior, as always."

His eyes twinkled merrily, and all the teachers (save Snape, who was rolling his eyes heavenward) grinned.

"Now, I know you're all ready to eat," A few students yelled yes and the rest nodded emphatically. "But there's one last thing that must be done before you can all tuck in."

A collective groan could be heard across the great hall.

"Now, now. As most of you know, it is a very rare occurence that we accept a wizard to Hogwart's that is over the age of eleven. But this year, we are doing just that. We have two new exchange students this year, and I hope youll all make them feel welcome. Girls, you can come out now," he called.

A door at the left side of the hall, near the table that the Headmaster was currently standing behind, slowly swung open. Two girls stepped out, clutching hands and looking slightly nervous.

They were obviously twins, that much was for certain. They had identical dirty blonde hair that reached to their thighs.

The one on the left wore hers straight, letting it cascade down her back in a way that made it glitter when the light hit it just so.

The one on the right wore hers in a long braid down her back. And that was the only difference between the two. They both wore identical jeans and black t-shirts, so it would have been impossible to tell them apart had their hair not been different.

"This," Dumbledore said, motioning to the girl on the left, "Is Elisabeth. And this," He motioned toward the girl on the right, "Is Arynn."

Arynn was obviously the more daring of the two, because when Dumbledore said her name, she flashed him a peace sign and a grin, making the whole hall laugh. Even Snape smirked.

"Well, now that we've met them, it's time for them to be sorted. Elisabeth, if you will?" he led the girl over to the sorting hat, and gently placed it on her head.

It took a while, but the hat finally declared: "Slytherin!" in a loud voice. The Gryffindors groaned and the Slytherins cheered. But not for long.

After Elisabeth had been seated at the Slytherin table, Dumbledore led Arynn to the hat, and it was only on her head for two seconds before it screamed "Gryffindor!" The Gryffindor table cheered loudly. Arynn bounced over to the Gryffindor table, taking a seat next to Harry. She smiled at himand he gave her a lopsided grin back.

For just a moment, Harry thought he saw her mouth a few words to him, but the next instant, their plates filled with food, and she turned to talk to Fred and George, who were congratulating her on the peace sign.

Harry turned and locked eyes with Hermione. He knew what she was thinking. It wasn't every day that siblings were sorted into rival houses. And with twins it was even more rare.

The two smiled a bit at each other, "This should be fun," written all over their faces, and then started eating.

And for just the smallest moment, Harry thought he heard little giggle, like a fairy voice on the wind.