Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow. Two chapters in two days. I'm on a roll!
Warning: ANGST and FLUFF ahead!!!
Decisions

Harry ran as fast as he through the corridors. This was not happening. It wasn't right. He couldn't be Snape's son! Right?

Harry's feet pounded on the stone floors, making his shoulders hurt as he ran. He tried to quiet his running, praying that he wouldn't wake anyone.

He didn't want them to see him cry.

Finally, Harry stopped running, and with a choked, dry sob, sunk down against the cold stone wall. He began to shiver as he thought of all the things that were desperately wrong with this situation.

For years, Harry had dreamed of having parents. Of having a father, especially. He had wanted a father for as long as he could remember.

Someone strong, who could protect him from dementors and Uncle Vernon. Someone that wouldn't get angry at him.

Harry was afraid of thunderstorms; he wanted someone who wouldn't mind if Harry came to him in the middle of the night because he was frightened.

Uncle Vernon had minded. Harry had been five years old.

"What are you doing, freak?" Uncle Vernon yelled when Harry shook him awake.

"I-I got scared of the thunder, Uncle Vern-"

"Scared? I'll show you scared!" Vernon grabbed Harry by the arm and began pulling him toward the back door. Once there, Vernon yanked the door open hard enough to nearly pull it off its hinges. He shoved Harry out roughly.

"We'll see how scared you are now, boy!" he said, and slammed the door in the boy's face.

Trembling, little Harry curled up on his side, trying to sheild himself from the rain and cold. He cried himself to sleep, jumping violently at each clap of thunder and streak of lightning.

Harry buried his face deeper in his hands, trying to erase that memory. Of all the horrible memories he had of the Dursleys, that was the worst. Worse than all the slaps and kicks and punches. Worse than all the yelling and belittling.

It had been the first time he realized that they really didn't care.

Harry began to sob; deep, anguished sobs that wracked his frame and made him hurt.

He felt so alone.

* * * *

Severus raced down the corridor, watching the map as closely as possible. He was getting close to Harry, he knew it.

As he was running, Severus mentally beat himself up. How could he have been so selfish? To spring the news on Harry like that? He had just wanted to get it over with, to have it done as quickly as possible.

The poor thing had looked so shocked...and betrayed. Severus cursed.

Turning one last corner, he finally found Harry. The child was curled up against the wall, his face pressed into his knees and his shoulders shaking like he was...crying.

Severus felt more guilt in that moment than he had in his whole life, even more than he had felt after Lily died.

He had made his son cry. The last thing he had wanted to do.

Slowly, hesitantly, he went to his son. For a little while, he stood in front of the boy, unsure of what to do. But finally he simply sat down beside him on the ground.

If anyone had been awake to see this, they would never have believed that Severus Snape was sitting on the floor, reaching over to touch Harry Potter's shoulder, trying to calm his crying.

But that was exactly what Severus did.

"Harry?" he murmured softly. The boy looked up, startled. Apparently he hadn't heard Severus at first.

"Oh, Merlin, those eyes..."

Harry dashed his hand at his face angrily to wipe away the tears.

"Harry, I...I regret that I didn't...thoroughly prepare you for what I was going to say. I did not mean to....startle you. I'm sorry."

His apologies only served to make the situation worse, because Harry turned away from him, putting his head back down on his knees, still sobbing.

"I...I know that...you probably feel as though you do not need a father, after all these years...I'm sure that your uncle was a perfect surrogate," at this Harry lifted his head, turning to look at the professor with wide eyes that screamed no.

Severus continued, although that look confused him.

"And...I'm sure that even if you did want a father, I'd be the last person in the world that you'd want...but..."

Harry shook his head emphatically. "No, sir! Uncle Vernon wasn't a father...he was...but sir, no! Of course I want a father, just..."

"Just not me, right?" Severus said, preparing himself.

"N-no, sir," Harry said, his voice shaking a bit. "Y-you were nice to me, you know, on the train...but I just...I don't know!" Harry said, biting his lip.

"It's hard to think...after all these years...I've wanted a dad for forever, and then when I get one, it's one that hates me!" Harry said, to upset to think about what he was saying.

Severus flinched like he'd been slapped.

"Harry...I don't hate you. No matter what you might have seen me do, I cannot hate you. That stopped at the beginning of the summer, when Lily..." Severus trailed off, looking at Harry's confused expression.

"Harry, I can't explain it now. Just know, that I do not hate you."

"You don't?" Harry asked, his eyes suddenly taking on a look of hope.

"No. I don't. And if you would try along with me, I...I'd like to make this work." Severus said, putting all his hopes on the line.

Harry thought for a moment. "Okay." he whispered.

Severus looked at him, shocked, but managed to keep enough composure to whisper:

"Alright, then."

For a long time, they just sat in silence. Finally, Harry whispered:

"Sir? Would...would you tell me about my mum?"

Severus smiled, shocking Harry he was sure.

"Of course, Harry. I'd love too."

For atleast a half hour, Severus entertained Harry with stories about his mother, making the boy laugh at Lily's temper and stare off longingly when Severus described her laughter, and how much she had loved Harry.

"She really loved me, then?" he said.

"Yes, Harry," Severus nodded. "She loved you so much."

Harry smiled. "Tha's good then," he murmured, his words growing slurred with sleepiness. Severus looked over at how the boy's eyelids were drooping. He knew it would only be a few moments until he fell asleep.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"Did you love my mum?" he said as he leaned agaist Severus' shoulder. Sev was sure the boy had no idea what he was doing, but Severus wasn't about to point it out to him.

"Yes, Harry. I loved your mother very much." Severus whispered, but Harry was already asleep.

* * * *

When Severus came back to his rooms carrying Harry in his arms, Remus was shocked to say the least.

"Sev?" he said, standing up from the chair he had been resting in.

"Sshhh!" Severus said as he walked through the sitting room into his guest room. The guest room had been something he had protested about when Dumbledore had built his rooms, saying he would never have guests. Dumbledore had insisted, that since all the other staff had a guest room, so would Severus.

He was glad, now, that Dumbledore had insisted.

He gently layed his sleeping son on the bed. Remus came behind him to stand in the doorway. The werewolf didn't have the heart to tell Sev that he was treating the thirteen-year-old like a three-year-old.

"Might as well let him. It will probably be good for both of them, anyway." he thought.

He watched, grinning as Severus transfigured the boy's jeans and t-shirt into a pair of warm pajamas and tucked the covers up around the boy. With a final satisfied look, Severus brushed a bit of the boy's messy hair out of his eyes and pulled off his glasses, laying them by the bedside.

"Sweet dreams, Harry," he whispered.

Turning around, Severus blushed when he saw Remus standing in the door and grinning.

"I told you you were good at the daddy thing," Remus whispered.

"Oh, shut up, werewolf."

Remus followed Severus into the sitting room, pulling the door to the room closed behind him as Harry snuggled deeper into the pillows.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked! REVIEW!!!! :)