Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
"Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring - quite often the hard way."
Pamela Dugdale
Goblins and Galleons

Hayden's mind buzzed with Hagrid's story. It repeated itself over and over in his mind, again and again he heard Hagrid tell him that he wasn't really Harry's brother. That he was just an anomaly, a freak born from magic.

And of course Harry was so – so... So Magic. So special. So wanted.

Of course Hayden was not.

He'd only just entered the wizarding world and already everybody hated him – Oh sure Hagrid said he didn't and there were others who didn't. But he probably just added that to make Hayden believe that.

But then again, Hayden couldn't really believe any of it.

He was a boy made out of half a soul and the "magic of the night?" It was absolutely ridiculous. It was quite possible that Hagrid was just pulling his leg, a kind of initiation into the wizarding world. Perhaps everyone who was raised by non-magic people were told this story. But then Hayden thought of the wizards and witches in the bar...

They seemed fairly certain that Harry was the Boy-Who-Lived. Maybe they were in on it too?

Or perhaps not.

Hayden rested his head against the wall and just sat there thinking. The sound from the bar below rose up to meet his ears. He could hear Hagrid's booming voice telling the barkeep that he was just stepping outside for a bit with little Harry, to get the boy a drink and give his brother some peace.

Hayden wasn't sure he wanted peace. If there was no peace, he'd be too busy to think these thoughts. To be wrapped up in whatever it was to care.

But right now all he had was peace and quiet, and his traitorous thoughts kept coming.

What if now that Harry was famous, he wouldn't need Hayden any more? He wouldn't want a whiny brother now that he had everything else. Hayden would get sent back to the Dursleys at the end of the week. Harry would not. Harry would end up staying with Hagrid.

Harry would be happy, Hayden would not.

<li>

Harry's stomach felt bloated with the amount of lemonade in it. Or maybe it was just the guilt that Hayden's stare had inflicted. He had wanted to hug his brother like he normally would, he wanted to tell him he was sorry and that everything would be fine --

"But why couldn't I go to him?" Hayden blurted out.

Hagrid looked down at the young boy in surprise, but then his craggy eyebrows shifted on his face to a thoughtful position. "Well, yer see. Whenever I feel upset I like ter just be alone, maybe take a walk through the forest with Fang... But also, it’s more than that. Dumbledore reckons that Hayden is more than just half of your soul, he reckons Hayden is your conscience." Hagrid paused to take a sip of his drink. "Now, I'm not questioning him, Dumbledore's a great man, but Hayden's only half a person then. Now, I've had to deal with people who look down on me, people who reckon I'm not a real person either. Dumbledore helped me when the world would not, and gave me a job when all employers would not."

Harry looked at the giant man incredulously. He could not imagine anyone looking down on him. Besides, what could Hagrid do to make anyone think he was not a real person? If this Dumbledore was smart enough to give Hagrid a second chance, perhaps he would help him and Hayden too.

“What? Hayden is as human as me, he's my brother!” Harry inisted.

“Aye, he might as well be. But not everyone thinks so. I believe he's your brother in heart an' mind, and that's what matters.” Hagrid said. Harry shook his head, he was going nowhere with this giant man.

Harry asked Hagrid a question that had been nagging in his mind, "But... Doesn't this all mean only I have half a soul? Won't people reject me as well?"

"But... But yer the one who defeated You-Know-Who! 'Nd 'nd since you’re the original one... The soul would grow back, wouldn't it?" Hagrid seemed a bit desperate to back up his argument. "Anyway, I reckon there's nothing wrong with Hayden. I jus' reckon that he's got to stop usin' you as a crutch if he's going to be yer conscience. If he's going to be your guide, then he needs to figure out himself first 'nd he needs to be alone for that."

"Why would I need him as my guide if we," Harry put a lot of emphasis on that word, because in his mind when it came to Hayden there was no 'I', only ‘us’, "got rid of You-Know-Who ages ago?"

"Well Dumbledore reckons that You-Know-Who did not die that night," Hagrid said mysteriously. "He reckons he was just weakened... And I of course agree with him.”

Harry sat there, mulling Hagrid's words over. "Hagrid, does absolutely everyone call You-Know-Who by a name that is not his real one?" The young wizard asked after a moment of contemplative silence.

"No one says it, Harry, 'cept for maybe Dumbledore." Hagrid said, fear mingled in his deep, booming voice. "I mean, not even his real name can be his real name. No mother would call their child that."

"Please tell me, Hagrid. Tell me what his real name is?" Harry asked politely.

"Gulpin' Gargoyles, Harry, you can't just go round asking for You-Know-Who's real name! People are still scared. Blimey this is difficult." Hagrid gulped. "His name was -" but no words came out. Hagrid coughed instead.

"Could you write it down?" Harry suggested.

"Nah – can't spell it." But Hagrid then saw the dismayed look on Harry's face. "All right then – V-Voldemort." Hagrid shuddered. "Don't make me say it again.

"Thank you, Hagrid." Harry said politely, but Hagrid just watched him sadly. He could tell that something very painful was going on in Harry's mind.

And it was. It had been going on all day, ever since Hagrid told him and Hayden story of what happened the night his parents died. In his head, the old visual that haunted the nightmares of his childhood returned once more. But this time, in addition to the flash of red and then green light, he heard a high pitched mocking laugh.

"You alright, Harry?" Hagrid asked with concern.

"Yeah, just a bit to get my head around is all... I-I'm going to go see Hayden now." Harry replied, he got up and left before Hagrid could say anything in response.

Bushy eyebrows met in the middle of Hagrid's craigy face. He just could not understand why Harry was being like this. Surely he wanted to hear of his parents more than anything right now? Hagrid had seen it in his face. But surely he understood that Solitude was good for man, now and then.

 Harry diddn't notice or care.

Hagrid watched the young wizard leave his side to go to his brother's.

<li>

"Hayden," a soft voice called. Hayden's head whipped round in response, to see his brother standing three meters away from him. "Did you want to talk?"

"Ha. What about?" Hayden replied.

"All of this."

"Well maybe I don't-," Hayden bravado failed. His shoulders slumped and he stared at the ground. "Sorry. Not at the moment let’s j-just go downstairs and see if we can go shopping for our school books."

"That sounds more like the you that I know. Only thinking about learning and books." Harry laughed weakly, and extended his hand to his brother. Hayden took it, Harry hoisting his brother off the ground, embracing him in a quick hug. They walked back to Hagrid, as if there hadn't been a chance that their friendship might break.

Hagrid look up from his mug and saw the two boys. He gave a huge grin, "'ello, Hayden. Look at you, all smiles. Feeling better for a lil’ bit of alone time?"

Hayden was attempted to tell the man that he wasn't, and he was only happy because he knew no matter what, Harry wouldn't abandon him. But he just smiled and nodded at Hagrid, although he didn't understand children or their emotions, Hagrid was a good man inside.

"Right then, I was thinking you boys might like to see Diagon Alley in all its glory on a busy weekend." Hagrid said happily. "Then we set up yer bank account and get a few of your school things, how does that sound?"

"Good!" The twins chorused, Hagrid laughed and showed them the way to a door. It led into a small, walled courtyard, where there was nothing but a dustbin and a few weeds.

Hagrid grinned at the twins, and then pulled out his umbrella.

"You'll love this," Hagrid assured them and then tapped a certain brick three times with the umbrella.

The brick he had touched wiggled, and small whole appeared in the wall, till it grew bigger and bigger. It turned into a Huge archway that even Hagrid could fit through with easy.

"Welcome to Diagon Alley, lads." Hagrid said, grinning his largest grin. Hayden all but fainted at the sight of it.

<li>

The main street of Diagon Alley buzzed with life. Hayden had never seen so many people in his life. The Dursleys never took the Potter twins out, they were too ashamed of them and didn't want to be seen with the freaks. Hayden and Harry's school had been relatively small, and all those occupants had teased them.

Hayden walked closer to Hagrid, hiding behind the man's large gait. He was shy, pure and simple. But he'd never admit it. When a man came up to Hagrid and told him his order of anti-flobberworm pellets had just come in, Hayden hid his shyness with a scowl upon his face.

Harry of course just saw everything as something amazing, and took it all in. His joy was evident in everything he did. The way he looked at everything, smiled and waved to everyone, the way he was all but skipped alongside Hagrid. He was happy.

"First things is first, to Gringotts." Hagrid said. He pointed out the building to them, it was huge. It towered over the other shops, Gringotts was snow-white with burnished bronze doors. Standing outside them was a creature... It was strange with a uniform of scarlet and gold.

"Yeah, that's a Goblin, best ter never get on their bad side." Hagrid said, noticing Hayden's look, who nodded in return. They walked up the white stone steps, both Hayden and Harry were silent at Hagrid's side.

They approached a second set of doors, silver this time, and engraved on them look to some kind of poem. Hayden naturally went forward to take a closer look at it.

Enter, stranger, but take heed

Of what awaits the sin of greed

For those who take, but do not earn,

Must pay most dearly in their turn,

So if you seek beneath our floors

A treasure that was never yours,

Thief, you have been warned, beware

Of more than treasure there.

"Like I said, yeh'd be mad ter get on the Goblins bad side an' try an' rob it," Hagrid said. Two goblins bowed and the silver doors opened to reveal a vast marble hall.

Hundreds of goblins were talking to people at their small desks. There were too many doors to count leading out of the hall.

"Amazing," Hayden breathed out. At his side Harry turned to give his brother and gave him a small smile.

"Yeah, amazing." He agreed.

Hagrid chuckled and led the two boys to a free counter, the Goblin behind it looked up expectantly at them.

"Morning," Hagrid cheerfully greeted the Goblin. "We've come ter take money outta Misters Harry and Hayden Potter's safe."

"You have Mr Harry Potter's key, sir?" The goblin said, completely ignoring Hayden.

"Yes. And Hayden's."

"Sir, you know as well as I that Mr Hayden is not real, and we simply cannot serve those who do not exist." The Goblin said condescendingly.

"He is so!" Harry protested for his brother's sake. Hayden shrank down.

"But yer can see 'im right there! How is that not real?" Hagrid's voice grew louder and Hayden shrank down lower.

"Well, if you insist upon it, we can take a blood sample of Mr Hayden and have him fill out the necessary paperwork so that we can set him up a account. You must have more than 50 Galleons to open an account. But, Mr Hayden is not a true Potter, and thus I cannot allow him to access the Potter vault." The Goblin explained impatiently.

"Use the money from my account to open his. Split the money equally." Harry said quietly, hoping he had more than 50 Galleons, whatever they were.

"Har-" Hayden started to protest.

"No, Hayden, the money is as much mine as it is yours." Harry interrupted him and then turned to the Goblin. "Um, can we do that, sir?"

"Very well, Mr Potter. We can do that, provided you have the key." The Goblin said and eyed Hagrid.

"Right, I got it here somewhere," Hagrid responded and promptly began empting his pockets onto the counter. The goblins pointy nose wrinkled with disgust as Hagrid piled mouldy dog biscuits and other items onto his desk in his search for the key.

"Got it!" pronounced Hagrid triumphantly and handed a small key over to the Goblin.

The Goblin looked at it closely.

"All seems to be in order, I shall take Mr Hayden here, to one of our more private offices to sort out his affairs. You and Mr Potter will go with Griphook to the vaults." The Goblin announced.

"An' I also got a letter here from Profes-"

"Then I advise you to also show that to Griphook." The Goblin interrupted Hagrid, obviously the small rude Goblin had had enough of Hagrid. He then turned slightly and shouted "Griphook!” Summoning the other goblin over who, after waiting for Hagrid to shove the dog biscuits back into his pockets, said "Follow me, sir." to Hagrid, and then led him, and Harry, away from Hayden. Abandoning him all by himself with the Goblin.

<li>

The Private Offices were indeed private. They were small little rooms with white stone walls and a thick wooden door. At the back of the room was a simple sink and counter with drawers, all of which were bulging out with their contents. In the centre of the room that the Goblin had led Hayden into was a round table with two simple wooden chairs. In the middle of the table an abnormally bright candle burned away slowly.

Hayden nervously scratched his arm, on the burn mark on his left forearm, and looked at the Goblin. He was filling a small bowl with a bright blue liquid, and next to it a sheet of white fabric was lying with what looked like a bird’s feather on it.

"Sit down, Mr Hayden." The Goblin commanded, Hayden obliged quickly, remembering Hagrid's warning from earlier about not getting on a goblin's bad side.

"Don't look so petrified, Mr Hayden. It won’t hurt. Now put your wand hand into the potion." Catching Hayden's confused, and still terrified face, he went on, "Are you right or left handed?" Come on now! Don't be shy, I don't have time for shy little boys. No matter how much money they have."

"Er. Right. Um... What kind of potion?" Hayden said.

The Goblin let out an expressive sigh. "You, Mr Hayden, are going to require a lot of work. I hate extra work."

"Sorry," Hayden said weakly. "But I know nothing of the wizarding world."

"What, and you expect me to tell you? No. Now, put your dominant hand in the potion, it's so we can test what species you are. And if giving you an account will break Ministry regulations." The Goblin said tersely.

"Er. Right." Hayden said, he distrusted this goblin but put his hand into the potion anyway. He found it to be surprisingly warm, yet it was all slimy and smooth. The potion began to get hotter and hotter until Hayden yelped and pulled his hand out.

Looking back into the bowel, Hayden could see the potion's colour had changed to blood red and a smoky steam was coming off the top of it.

The goblin pulled what looked like a stirring rod out of one of the counter drawers. He dipped it into the bowl, it barely even fit, and then pulled it quickly out again. Laying the rod out on the white cloth he had set up besides the bowl. The feather that had been there beforehand, he lightly brushed it against the rod. And much to Hayden's surprise, it jumped up and began to write.

Human... 95% ... Acceptable

"Very well, Mr Hayden, you are eligible for a Gringott's Bank account. Do you wish to have one?"

"Yes, please." Hayden said, all but bursting with joy. He was practically euphoric, he was human. Hagrid and everyone else was wrong. He was real.

"We'll just conduct a simple blood test, to see if you are related to Mr Harry Potter, and have you fill out the necessary paper work." The Goblin told Hayden in a bored tone.

"What do I have to do for that?" asked Hayden, nervous once more. What if the others were right? What if he was actually related to this You-Know-Who character? Would the Goblin kick him out? Would Harry hate him? He would be, of course, descended from the man who killed their parents.

"Arm." The goblin commanded, oblivious to Hayden's emotional turmoil. Hayden held out his right hand once more, the Goblin seized it and before Hayden could protest, or even know what was going on, the Goblin turned a large knife on him.

Chapter End Notes:
http : / / ii - jennyfish - ii . deviantart . com / art / Harry - and - Hayden - 109099101 (Remove spaces.) A picture of Harry and Hayden that I drew. No laughing allowed.

Please review, constructive criticism is welcome with open arms. After all it is the only way to improve.

Thanks, Jennifer.