Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus and Lily's honeymoon is marred by a secret shame.
Scars of the Past

Rome, Italy

August 15th, 1982

 

Severus and Lily left the little pizzaria and walked leisurely through the cobblestone byways back to their hotel facing the Fountain of Trevi, that brilliant masterpiece of marble that invited visitors to the Eternal City to throw a coin into its aqua depths and wish to return there someday. They had already done that, even though Severus thought it mere superstition. Still, what could it hurt? It was his honeymoon, and he would indulge himself and his beloved wife shamelessly.

Lily had tucked her arm casually in his as they walked, her skin had taken on a slight golden glow under the Mediterranean sun, despite the myth that most red-heads burned in the sun. Lily seemed to be the exception, as she was about most things. The sun had also caused her hair to become highlighted with strands of brilliant gold, making it seem as if she were wearing a fiery helmet sometimes. Severus reached up and played absently with a wayward curl, a smile stealing over his features.

"How was your dinner, Lily?"

"Delicious, as always. I don't think I've eaten anything here that I haven't loved," his wife replied, smiling back at him. "How about you?"

"Yes, the food is incredible. I think it has something to do with the fresh produce."

"Yes, everything tastes better fresh," Lily agreed. "Are you happy, Sev?"

"I am, Lil. For the first time in my whole life, I can actually say that I am truly happy." He halted abruptly, they were near a statue of some victorious Roman warrior, Rome had marble statues upon nearly every street corner, or so it seemed. Then he drew Lily into his arms and murmured, "And do you know the reason why I am happy, Mrs. Snape?"

"Why?"

"Because you are now a part of my life, Lily. For always. I love you." Then he bent his head and kissed her.

He had become much more practiced at kissing during this honeymoon, he thought wickedly, putting said practice to good use now.

Lily returned his kiss as ardently, finding that a Severus Snape in love was a man she had never known, all passion and fire, and she couldn't get enough of him. At first, she had been the one to initiate most of their intimacy, since she was the more experienced partner, but after a week under the blazing Italian sun, Severus had proved himself a quick study, and now it was he who began most of these intimate interludes.

She fit comfortably in his arms, nestling into his embrace, thrilling to the feel of his hands upon her, those elegant fingers could make her shiver all the way down to her toes with a single caress. There was a hidden strength in those hands, but she knew she need never fear them, the way Petunia had cautioned. Severus was no Tobias, he would sooner chop off his hand than ever lift it against her. No, those lean hands that could perform the most delicate spell surgery and sew flesh so deftly would never inflict harm upon her ever. In fact, those fingers were running ever so lightly up her back, making her gasp in delight.

"Sev!"

"Yes, flower?" he murmured.

"You shouldn't . . .touch me that way here."

"What way? This way?" he teased, repeating the gesture, a mischievous sparkle in his eyes.

Lily felt as if she were about to self-combust. "Severus Snape! You are . . .you are . . .Merlin help me!" she gasped as his fingers wound in her hair and he tilted her head back and captured her mouth again.

"You were saying, love?" queried her rogue of a husband, once he could talk again. "I'm a what?"

"A wicked devil and also the love of my life." She smiled up at him, her green eyes shining with barely controlled passion. "Come on, Sev, let's go back to our room. We can see the Spanish Steps by moonlight another time."

"Tomorrow night," he agreed, then the wicked devil scooped her up in his arms and Apparated into their room, which was conveniently known as the bridal suite, and featured a most comfortable bed and a couch and bath with a fantastic whirlpool.

"Severus, put me down," she ordered, laughing.

"Why? This is where you belong. Right here in my arms."

"If you don't put me down, how will I be able to take my dress off?" she inquired coyly.

"That, Lily love, is why they invented banishing charms," he said with a sly secret smile, and whispered one.

After that, they were too busy to talk for quite awhile.

* * * * * *

 

One of the things that Severus loved best about Italy was the way the sun crept into the room in the early morning, tiptoeing on cat's paws across the sienna plush carpet and gently teasing his eyelids open. He stretched and yawned leisurely, savoring the sensation of not having to wake up and jump out of bed to go to work or the hospital, and also the sensation of waking with a sweet little enchantress beside him, who showed him in so many ways that she loved him best of all. There were times when he still felt like an awkward schoolboy lout around her, but with a single look, she could banish that fumble footed boy to the shadows and summon instead the poised passionate Master Healer.

He rolled over, eyeing the sleeping witch with a tenderness he rarely allowed to show upon his face. He had learned long ago during his childhood that he must hide those softer emotions, Tobias taught him well. Boys didn't cry and they didn't write poems and send chocolates to women they admired, unless they were wimps and sissies. Lily might not be beautiful in a conventional sense, but to Severus she had the face of a Boticelli angel, and he had seen plenty of Renaissance artwork as they toured the museums and churches of Rome, Florence, and Venice. To him she was a masterpiece, a living breathing work of art, and he thanked God daily that she had consented to be his wife.

He had no illusions about himself, he knew he was flawed and imperfect, a temperamental perfectionist Healer, a workaholic who always managed to shove forty-eight hours into a twenty-four hour day, and without using magic, either. He was sarcastic and sharp-tempered and he knew that he was no one's idea of Prince Charming, the way James had been. He was as flawed outside as inside, he bore the marks of Tobias's drunken rages on his backside and thighs, faint white scars that nevertheless branded him as a victim, and which he could never ever let her see.

That was why whenever they made love, he made sure the lights were dimmed and he always changed out of her sight. It was awkward, to be sure, but necessary. He did not want her seeing the scars, the shameful badges of a broken childhood, and pitying him or worse. He wanted to be a good husband, he loved her with everything he had, but there were some things he could not share with her, and though she knew that his father was a drunk and had struck him on more than one occasion, she did not know it all. She knew nothing of the scars, the counseling, the flashbacks. He could not bear for her to learn of it, to know that the man she married was an emotional wreck, haunted by a father he had not seen in over four years. Physician, heal thyself, he thought mockingly, before pushing the awful memories aside and bending down to place a kiss on the sleeping Lily's hair. Sweet dreams, angel of mine, he thought, and then slipped from the bed to take a soothing hot bath.

* * * * * *

 

 

Lily awoke from a very pleasant dream to the sound of water running and splashing. Hmmm . . .sounds like someone's taking a nice hot bubble bath. She yawned hugely, uncurling herself reluctantly from the nest of blankets. Last night had been amazing, she had never felt that way with anyone before, not even James. Severus was a very considerate and sweet partner, but at the same time he could be wild, and his passion matched hers. When they were together, he focused exclusively on her, the way he did on a potion he was brewing or a patient he was examining, and she was the center of his world. It made her feel very cherished and very loved and so incredibly lucky.

Who would have thought that shy, awkward, gawky Severus Snape would turn out to be such a handsome thing, or that she would crave his touch and his presence almost like an addiction? With James, she had been rather in awe of him, and he had been the one with more experience, and she had been willing to take what he gave her. But with Severus, it was different. With him, she was adored, he spoiled her, and he was quite content to share and share alike.

The sound of water running ceased abruptly, and she heard a rather loud splash and then silence. She arched an eyebrow and smirked naughtily. Wonder what he'd do if I went in there? She had noted that her husband seemed rather shy about her seeing him naked, he always undressed in private and preferred a single light on when they were in bed together. Truth be told, she found his little boy shyness charming, but a part of her did wonder why he felt so awkward around her. Did he imagine that she would be mentally comparing him to James and he would come up wanting?

Ridiculous! Sev is Sev and there really IS no comparison between him and James. They're two different people. James had been very muscular and buff from all his Quidditch playing and his face made teenage girls and grown women hyperventilate. Severus was lean and sleek, and graceful as a cat, and while his face didn't stop traffic, it was rugged and noble and handsome in its own way. James was cocky and arrogant at times, he would have never felt the need to prove himself to me. But Severus, a part of him is still that insecure fifteen-year-old, and he needs me to reassure him that he doesn't need to live in James's shadow. That we can make our own life together, and it will be a wonderful one.

Filled with a new determination to erase the awkwardness from her husband's mind once and for all, Lily rose and threw on a lacy pink wrapper, since the balcony curtains were slightly ajar and she didn't want a scandal, and turned the knob on the bathroom door.

"Sev, honey? Mind if I come in?"

Severus froze, then jerked as if shot, the towel half-wrapped about him. "Wait! I-"

Too late.

Lily had already stepped into the steamy tiled bathroom, her bare feet making no sound upon the tile, and Sev had his back to the door and she could not help but run her gaze down him, taking in everything, including the faint white lines crisscrossing his bottom and thighs.

Severus went rigid, breathing raggedly, longing to vanish. Ah, Merlin, why me? What must she think of me now? That I was a coward who let a Muggle thrash me? He felt his face flame with awful shame and embarrassment and he could not bear to turn around.

Lily stared at the scars, uncomprehending for a moment. Then all at once she realized what she was looking at, and suddenly all the missing pieces came together and she understood. Oh, God. My poor Sev! I knew your father was a drunken bum and nasty, but I never thought he hurt you that badly. She recalled Severus at age eight, skinny and startling at the slightest quick movement, flinching like a wild animal when her dad laughed too loud, or spoke in a stern tone, always wearing secondhand clothes and never spending any time with his father unless he was forced to. How did I miss that? Why didn't I see? she thought remorsefully. Tears pricked her eyes for the pain her friend had endured so silently, and she came up and put her arms about him, hugging him.

"Oh, Sev. Your father?" He nodded, unable to speak from embarrassment and she only hugged him tighter. "Was this what you were hiding from me?"

 

"Yes."

"Sev, those are nothing to be ashamed of. You were a child, a victim, he was wrong, not you."

"I-I thought . . .if you saw . . .that you'd think . . ."

"What? That you were less of a man? That you were weak? No, Sev. You are the child survived, beloved, and that takes courage beyond measure, more courage than even James had. More courage than I would have had. And you not only survived, Severus, you became a better man than he was."

"How do you know, Lily?"

"Because I love you, Sev. And I could never love a man like your father."

Then she kissed him, her hands gently cupping his face, reaffirming that she still loved him, despite his shameful past, despite the scars, and her words broke something inside of him.

He turned to her abruptly, burying his face in her shoulder and crying, very softly, he who almost never cried, raised in Tobias's household where boys didn't cry ever.

Lily simply held him, not saying anything, for there was nothing she could say that would ease the old hurt, and so she said nothing. But her mere presence comforted him, easing the sting of embarrassment and shame, and Tobias's specter was banished into the abyss, to dwell in exile forever. It was a relief, to know that she knew the truth, and accepted it, and loved him still.

After a few moments, he lifted his head and said softly, "Thank you, Lily, for understanding."

"Did you really think I wouldn't?"

"I . . .had hoped you would, someday . . .But I didn't dare to hope . . .until now." He gave her a tentative smile. Then he cast a glance back at the still full tub. "The water's still hot, little flower."

She grinned and yanked away the towel. "Let's not waste it, Sev."

This time there was no hesitation.

* * * * * *

 

The rest of the time they spent in Italy was semi-idyllic. By day, Lily shopped in the market for fresh produce, both she and Sev shared a passion for Imperial figs and tomatoes and mozzarella, along with crusty bread drizzled with herbs and olive oil washed down with a sweet red wine. After they went sightseeing, wandering the old ruins of the ancient Forum, where Julius Caesar and Cicero gave their great speeches, and where Caesar was betrayed and murdered. They saw the Colosseum, once considered the greatest architectural wonder of the ancient world, climbing the steps where once the feet of Roman citizens, slaves, and emperors had trod, though now only tourists and cats roamed.

Severus half-fancied he could almost hear the roar of the crowd and the snarls of wild beasts and the clash of sword upon armor as the gladiators fought for their lives and a kind of bloodsoaked honor upon the shifting sands.

And yet, the architecture was astounding, especially considering it had all been done by hand, and had stood the test of over a thousand years. But there was a dark side to the construction of the amphitheater too, it had been built with the labor of over two million Jewish slaves, taken in chains from sacked Jerusalem by the Roman army.

They visited cathedrals and walked the Via Appia, toured the Castle of Angels, and ate at small cafes and family owned restaurants where their status as newlyweds was celebrated, much to Sev's embarrassment, though Lily thought it was sweet.

Lily took dozens of pictures, especially when they were in the pastoral hills of Tuscany, outside Florence. Among the vineyards they wandered, drinking in the peaceful countryside, sampling the local wines and cheeses and fruit from the friendly wizard farmers and their families. "Bellissima!" was the comment Severus heard the most regarding his beautiful new wife, and he had to agree, ignoring the tiny spark of jealousy engendered by some of the men who looked lingeringly at Lily.

But he also found camaraderie among the local healers and Potions Mistresses and Masters, all of whom were eager to learn new techniques from a guest and welcomed his expertise. He found their hospitality was second to none, and they insisted the couple stay in their villas for the price of a few new spells and recipes for original drafts.

And while he swapped recipes and healing techniques, Lily learned how to cook like an Italian and made some new friends, who teased her about her tall, dark, and attractive husband.

Gradually, Severus's awkwardness faded, though one night he had a dream about Tobias chasing him in a drunken fury threatening to whip the hide off his seven-year-old self and woke trembling and sweating, his heart pounding like a crazed wild animal. Somehow, Lily roused too and surmised it was a nightmare, and just curled close to him, humming and stroking his hair for once, until he calmed down.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"Never apologize, Sev. I'm always here for you. As you were for me." Her hands began to knead the tenseness from his shoulders, and he relaxed in her embrace. One thing led to another, and the nightmare was vanquished by a pair of emerald eyes and skillful hands and a passion that burned hotter than the fires of Mount Vesuvius.

When they departed from Italy a week later, it was with a hostful of memories, several albums worth of pictures, and a newfound sense of pride and self-confidence, the scars of the past scabbed over and beginning to heal. Together, they looked forward to a bright future, as a husband and wife, raising their son and hopefully other children as well, a new generation of Snapes born out of love instead of tragedy.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked that one! I was in Italy eight years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Next: The Evans host a family reunion, and Petunia, Vernon and Dudley show up. Will they spoil everyone's good time?