Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A shopping trip becomes a nightmare for Sev when Harry hits the terrible twos.

Chapter dedicated to any parent who has ever had this happen to them.
Severus Snape & the Terrible Two-Year-Old Brat

November 15, 1982

Snape residence

Aspen Avenue

It had been a month since the Evans family reunion and the quarrel with the Dursleys. Lily had not seen or spoken to her sister since then, and told her husband that frankly she wasn't going to lose any sleep over it. "We were close once, as kids, but ever since she learned that I had magic and friends other than herself, Petunia has become more like an acquaintance than a family member, sad to say. If she would just learn to let go of her snotty attitude, i might be willing to forgive her, but until then I'm not holding my breath."

In the interim, Severus and Lily had been very busy settling into their new roles as family members. One of the first orders of business had been finalizing the adoption papers for Harry to become Severus's son. The adoption was now official, though both Lily and Severus agreed to let Harry keep Potter as his surname, to honor his father, James. If he wished, when he came of age, he could change it to Snape, but that decision was far in the future, and for right now, all that mattered was that Harry was legally Severus's son. Harry had taken Sev's new role as a father surprisingly well, switching from calling him "Sevvy" to calling him "Daddy" within a few weeks of Severus living with then on Merlin Avenue. He loved the fact that Severus was there all the time now, and he could see him every day and ask him ten million questions and play with him and be read to every night.

 

The Snapes had recently purchased a brand-new house with a fenced backyard, selling their old residences and combining the money from the sales to purchase the little house on Aspen Avenue, which was a wizarding residence on a long windy street ending in a culdesac, with a small park on one side and lots of neighbors with children Harry could play with. Most of the families living there knew Master Healer Snape, he was their Healer, or had delivered them, in the case of the children, and they were happy to welcome the Healer's new family into the neighborhood.

Since Severus worked long hours, Lily opted to stay at home with Harry for most of the time, though Severus encouraged her to go back to the Auror Department and fill in one or two days a week, as a temporary Auror, if someone were sick or injured or needed help on a case. Lily was only too happy to revive her career, and put Harry in the facility daycare if Severus weren't home to watch him.

"I see nothing wrong with you working again, Lil, if that is what you wish to do," Severus had told her earnestly the day they signed the papers for the closing on the new house. "Plenty of women who are mothers have careers nowadays, and you can too."

Lily was profoundly touched by her new husband's outlook and understanding. For while she adored her son to pieces, a part of her had longed to go back to being a dark wizard catcher, she had missed the challenge of hunting down criminals and helping others. Being a mother had its own set of challenges and rewards, to be sure, but a lot of it was routine, and Lily had sometimes felt as if she were stagnating.

Sirius, Remus, Alice, and Captain Moody had welcomed her back to the fold, and now she worked two days a week, assisting with difficult cases and so forth. Harry got to play with the other children of Aurors at the center, like Neville and learned how to interact with children his own age, sharing and taking turns and playing.

Harry was bright and friendly and generally didn't display much of his mother's fiery temper, but lately he'd been testing his boundaries more than usual, as he was now at the stage known as "The Terrible Twos". The little boy could be stubborn as ten mules when he chose to be, and when he made up his mind, it took the patience of an angel to change it. Thus far, he hadn't really tested his new father all that much, until about six weeks or so before Christmas, when he woke up moody and cross, wanting Lily to stay home and read to him.

But Lily had work that day, and Severus was off, so she regretfully kissed the sulky boy goodbye and left for the Auror Department, leaving Harry and Severus to eat breakfast together. "Be good, Harry. I love you, bye!" Lily blew the toddler a kiss before departing through the Floo network.

Harry waved, frowning, then whined when Sev picked him up and brought him into the kitchen to eat breakfast. "I is not hungwy, Daddy. I want Mummy to come home."

Severus set him in his special booster chair so he could reach the top of the table easily, and said, "Mummy will be home soon, Harry. After you eat breakfast, how about we go do some shopping for Christmas?"

"Kistmas?" Harry repeated, still pouting. "Do I get a toy?"

"Maybe, if you behave. But we need to go Christmas shopping for a present for Mum, all right?"

Harry nodded. "For Mummy and me!" he sang.

"Just so, scamp!" Sev reached over and ruffled his son's hair. "Now, finish your cereal with bananas and we'll get you dressed and then we can go."

Harry frowned, he didn't want to eat, he wanted to leave now, and go to the toy store. "No, Daddy. No beakfast! I want to go buy a toy."

Severus eyed the little boy sternly, for he didn't like the imperious tone Harry was using. It reminded him far too much of a certain other little boy, Harry's cousin, Dudley. "After you eat breakfast, Harry. Otherwise no toy."

Harry sniffled and pouted, staring at his bowl of corn flakes and bananas rebelliously. "Not hungwy."

Severus frowned, he didn't like this new attitude of Harry's at all. "You love corn flakes and bananas," he reminded his son. Then he picked up the spoon and held it out to the reluctant toddler. "Here. Open wide."

Harry clamped his mouth shut, ignoring Sev's attempts to put the cereal and fruit into his mouth.

Severus decided to try a different approach. "Fine. Then I'll eat it." He promptly ate the cereal.

"No! You eat you OWN, Dad!" wailed the stubborn little imp. "That is MINE!"

"Oh? But if you're not going to eat it, Harry, then I have to, since I won't waste good food." Severus countered.

"No! No! It mine, not yours!" perversely, even though Harry didn't feel like eating, he didn't want anyone else eating his food either.

"Well, Mr. Potter, you'd better eat it then, or else."

Harry shook his head mutinously. "NO! I not!"

Severus scowled. "Harry James Severus, either you eat your breakfast this instant, or else you can sit in time out and we can skip going to Diagon Alley today. Understand?"

"I not want to!"

"One."

Harry kicked the table.

"Two."

The little boy gazed up at his father, and seeing Severus wearing his "mad face", decided he was a little hungry after all, and picked up his spoon.

Once Harry had eaten at least half of his cereal, Severus quickly dressed him in a warm pair of blue sweatpants and a sweatshirt with a cauldron on it that read "Little Potions Prodigy", tied on his pair of glow-in-the-dark trainers, and then got dressed himself in a casual set of black pants, fleece-lined boots, and a blue shirt, complete with an ankle-length brown duster and scarf. This November was unusually raw and nippy for London, and he made sure Harry was wearing his mittens, scarf and jacket as well.

The little boy fussed, he hated getting bundled up, but Severus simply ignored the whining and then picked up his son and Apparated to Diagon Alley. He hoped to find something extra special for Lily for Christmas, and Diagon Alley was the best place to find unusual one-of-a-kind presents.

Harry squirmed to get down. "Down, Dad! I walk!"

"Only if you hold my hand, child," Severus ordered.

"‘Kay." Harry agreed, and held Severus's hand as they made their way through the cobblestone streets towards a small store called Brunhilda's Treasures, which sold everything from teapots to original signed grimoires.

On the way, they passed Eeylop's Owl Emporium, and Harry suddenly tore free of Sev's grip and ran into the store, yelling, "Birdies! Pretty birdies! I see them!"

The owls, startled by a little child shrieking and running towards them, flew off their perches and around their cages frantically.

Harry laughed, not understanding he was scaring them and tried to touch one.

The owl nearly nipped his finger, but the proprietor, a wizard named Mark Flicker, grabbed his hand away in the nick of time. "Hey, kid! You can't pet those owls, some of ‘em bite," he scolded. "And don't shout, you'll scare ‘em. Owls don't like loud noises."

"Birdies a'scared?"

"Yeah, they are. Where's your mum or dad, kid?"

"Harry! Harry, come back here!" came Severus's rather frantic and angry voice.

He dashed into the shop, scanning it swiftly, until he spotted the little boy in the green and white jacket being held by Flicker. "Ah, there you are, young man. What do you mean, running off like that?" He strode towards the pair.

"Wanted to see birdies, Daddy."

"You don't run away like that, Harry. That was very bad. You nearly got lost." Severus scolded, kneeling down to look his son in the eye.

"No I didn'!" the scamp insisted. "I not lost, I was seeing them birdies."

"Yes, you did. If you're not holding onto my hand, then you're lost, Harry. And you'll never see me or Mum again. Is that what you want?"

"No," Harry answered, after thinking it over a minute. "Am I in trouble?"

"You will be if you pull this stunt again, mister. Hold onto my hand and don't let go, I don't care what you see. Otherwise no toy and you can sit in time out when we get home."

"‘Kay, Daddy. I be good." He took Severus's hand.

"Thank you for finding him," Severus told Mark.

"Wasn't a problem, sir," Mark reassured him. "He's a cute little devil though."

"Yes, but he's also mischief incarnate," sighed Severus. "Come along, Harry. We still need to find a present for your mother."

But Harry balked. "Want to pet birdies, Dad."

"Harry, the owls are afraid and might bite you. Now come on."

Harry started to cry. "No-o-o! Pet birdies!"

"Harry James Severus, don't make me count to three."

Harry stamped a foot on the floor. "Pet birdies!"

"Let's go, Harry. Now!" Severus ordered, embarrassed at how the child was acting, just like his spoiled brat cousin. He practically dragged the little boy out the door.

Harry wailed for about half a block, but Severus could tell it wasn't a real cry, merely a whiny I-didn't-get-my-way sort of cry, which set his teeth on edge. "Harry, you'd better quit acting like a spoiled brat, or else you'll be in serious trouble."

He was beginning to regret taking the child along with him, for Harry was cranky and irritable. He considered going back home and making the child take a nap, but he was almost to the store now and hopefully Harry would behave long enough for him to choose a present for Lily and leave. Why, of all the times to turn into a cranky little brat, did it have to be now, when I have to be in public and shop for a present? I have to get this now, there's no telling what might be left if I come back here when I'm off again next week. Brunhilda's items go quicker than Vanishing Powder.

They walked past other wizards and witches, busily shopping for that special someone, a few with kids in tow, others alone. And more than a few with little kids were dragging them kicking and screaming away from the sweet shop and the toy store, Severus observed while groaning inwardly. Not wanting to deal with another tantrum, he quickly crossed to the other side of the street, so Harry didn't see the sweet shop, but then a seven-year-old went past them with a dragon-shaped lollipop and Harry saw it.

"Daddy, I want one!" He pointed to the blue spun sugar pop. "Just like that one. I want a dragon pop!"

"Later, Harry. Right now we need to get Mummy's present," Severus reminded, picking him up.

"No! I want it now!"

"I said later. Now hush that whining, it's driving me crazy."

Harry fought to get down, but Severus was having none of it. He held the struggling child firmly against his shoulder. Harry grew frustrated when he couldn't get his way, and kicked at the Master Healer, sobbing, "I want a dragon pop!"

"Harry, stop it!" the exasperated Severus cried, swatting his son's bottom. "I don't know what's gotten into you today. I think you're channeling your spoiled brat cousin."

Harry began to howl loudly, even though the swat didn't hurt all that much, it was more of a warning and Sev didn't put much force behind it.

The exasperated Healer considered casting a Silencing charm on his son, and sparing his eardrums and everyone else's the ruckus. But using magic like that on a child was against the law, so Severus just gritted his teeth and endured the piercing howls and hurried as quickly as he dared down the street.

Abruptly he halted, as a new thought occurred to him about why harry was so cranky. Perhaps he wasn't feeling well? He drew his wand and sat down on a nearby bench. "All right, scamp, hush, I barely tapped you, now quit with the crocodile tears." He set Harry on his lap and said, "Do you feel sick? Is that why you're so cranky and out-of-sorts?" he waved his wand and performed a standard diagnostic.

It came back normal, Harry wasn't feverish or achy, he was perfectly healthy. Severus was relieved but at the same time annoyed, for that meant Harry had no reason to behave so badly, except out of sheer willfulness. "Well, you're not sick, so that means you're in a bad mood and you're just going to have to get over it."

But Harry didn't want to get over it. He wanted his father to buy him something, and so far he had gotten nothing on this trip except a scolding and smack. Not what he had been expecting at all. It was turning out to be the worst shopping trip ever. He gave his mean father an angry look from his big green eyes and declared loudly, "You is mean n' nasty, an' I don' like you, Dad!"

People going by giggled and chuckled and Severus longed to turn himself invisible, he was so embarrassed. "Harry, is that nice?" he demanded.

Harry just glared at him sulkily and muttered, "Meanie!"

Several witches passing by with children a little older than Harry gave Severus sympathetic glances and one said, "That was me yesterday, so don't feel too bad."

"It's the terrible twos," said another, and sighed. "Merlin, am I glad that's over with!"

"How long does it last?" Severus asked warily, not sure if he wanted to know the answer.

"Well, mine acted like a hellion until he was three and a half, but some grow out of it earlier and some later. It just depends," the brown-haired witch offered. "You'll survive, hopefully."

After that word of encouragement, the witch and her friends left and Severus conjured a handkerchief and wiped Harry's face, he had finally quit crying. "Listen, scamp, I'm not being mean, but you can't have everything you want, and if you're good, I'll take you to Trimelda's Toys and you can pick out a little toy, okay?" The toy store was right across the street, next to Brunhilda's Treasures.

But Harry had enough of waiting and he spotted the glittering sign and the large entryway with its open doors, showing all kinds of toys, from puppets to stuffed animals to toy brooms and mini playsets. "I go get a toy now, Daddy!" he shrieked and slipped off Sev's lap and raced across the street before the astonished Severus could stop him.

"Harry! Merlin's bloody beard, get back here!" bellowed the Healer, furious.

The child ignored him, gleefully running as fast as his little legs could carry him into the toy store and vanishing among the aisles of toys.

Severus sprinted across the street, swearing profusely under his breath. When I get my hands on you, Harry James Severus, you're going to be one sorry little brat! And I'm never taking you shopping with me again.

By the time he reached the toy store, there was no sign of his little imp anywhere in view. "Harry! Harry, where the hell are you?" he yelled, looking about at the huge stuffed dragons flanking the entryway to a department called Animal Forest, where there were dozens upon dozens of stuffed animals, from hippogriffs to unicorns and dogs to zebras. "Harry, come over here, right now!"

But Harry didn't come and Severus whirled upon a skinny girl with glasses and freckles holding a stuffed panther and said, "Did you happen to see a little boy, dark hair, wearing a blue sweatsuit, go in there? I'm looking for my son."

"Umm, nope. Sorry, mister."

"Ahh, Merlin blast it!" Severus walked into the so-called forest and continued calling and searching growing more and more frantic and angry by the minute.

He checked the entire department, which took five minutes and then he pulled out his wand and cast a locator charm, cursing himself for not thinking of it before. Use your head, Snape, instead of running around like a cockatrice with its head turned to stone.

The spell pulled him deeper into the store, until he finally spotted his wayward son inside the mock Hogwarts Express, pretending to toot the horn and steer the engine and holding a toy version of the original in his left hand. Harry grinned down at him, the train display was atop a wooden platform. "Daddy! Look at me! I drive the train! And I want this one!"

"Harry James Severus Potter, come over here this instant!" yelled Severus. "We're going home, and the only thing you're going to be getting is a seven-minute time out and maybe a spanking." Now Severus had never spanked the little boy, but right then he was angry enough to threaten and perhaps even do so.

"NO! I don't wanna go home! I wanna play wif the train!"

"Now, young man! One."

Harry began bawling hysterically. "NO! NO! NO! YOU go home! You're not my daddy!"

People were staring and Severus had had enough. He stepped up onto the platform and reached inside the train to pick up his son, who threw himself on the floor, screaming bloody murder, kicking and pounding the floor in a red-faced fury. "NO GO! NO GO! PLAY WIF TRAIN!"

Severus was certain they could hear him in Hong Kong, and he wished he had never gotten out of bed this morning. It was bad enough watching other kids throw fits in stores and whatnot, but it was ten times worse when your own was doing it, he discovered to his mortification. He felt like he was watching Dudley at the reunion all over again, and a part of him wondered just what had happened to cause Harry to suddenly revert to a screaming, demanding, spoiled brat. Was it because he'd seen his cousin act that way? And seen as well that Petunia had actually rewarded her child for such awful behavior? Because if so, Severus knew he had to teach Harry that throwing tantrums got you nothing but trouble. For there was no way Severus was going to put up with having a royal spoiled brat for a son.

"Two." He continued counting.

Harry continued to scream and kick, nearly incoherent with fury.

"Three. Now we're going home, young man." And with that, he snatched his wriggling screeching son up off the floor, tossed him over his shoulder, and walked out of the toy store, Harry still wailing about playing with the trains. It was the longest five minutes of Severus's life, and he prayed that someone didn't call the Aurors to arrest him for kidnapping, for Harry was screaming, "I HATE you and you're NOT my daddy no more!" Thankfully, everyone seemed to be looking the other way. Once he was safely outside of the store, he Apparated back home, where he put his naughty son in his room on his bed.

"I want you to stay in here until you calm down," Severus told him, then turned and left the room.

The Healer realized it was also important for him to calm down, for he didn't want to punish his son in a temper, and so he left Harry in his room alone for five minutes. He could hear the little boy throw himself on the floor and for about two minutes there was screeching and pounding and then it seemed as if Harry had finally exhausted himself.

Sev waited the full five minutes, allowing himself to get his own temper under wraps before returning to find Harry sitting up on the floor, his face scarlet and streaked with angry tears. "Are you quite finished, Mr. Potter?"

Harry hiccuped and murmured, "Uh huh. But I want the train."

Severus sighed and picked him up, bringing him into the kitchen, where he wet a dishcloth and washed Harry's face. Then he took the child on his lap and said sternly, "Harry, what you did today, throwing a tantrum in a store, was very very bad. You also ran away from me after I told you to hold my hand, and that's why you're not getting any toy today and only a time-out plus two swats and a long nap."

Harry started to cry again. "No! No time out! I's sorry!" That was the most dreaded punishment, since the active two-year-old hated being made to sit still and stare at nothing but a wall.

"Good, but sorry doesn't get you out of punishment." Severus said firmly, hardening his heart against the woeful green-eyed gaze and the pathetic pout Harry leveled at him. "Next time, behave and don't throw tantrums or run away from me, because this is what happens to naughty little boys like that." And then he suited action to words, giving the child two firm spanks and then putting him in the Time Out Corner for seven-minutes, which seemed like forever to the toddler.

Harry wriggled and fidgeted, crying quietly, his bottom stung a bit, but oddly enough did not seem inclined to test Severus any more that day, and remained sitting on the stool until Sev released him. Then he darted off the stool and flung himself into the Healer's arms, saying he was sorry and promising to be good.

"All right, scamp. You're forgiven, just don't ever do that again." Severus held the repentant child close for a long time, and Harry, relieved that his daddy was no longer mad at him, put his head on Sev's shoulder and promptly fell asleep, he had worn himself out completely.

Severus placed the sleeping imp in his bed and thought about summoning a bottle of firewhiskey. If this was what the terrible twos were like, he wasn't sure his sanity would survive. And he had a sinking feeling that this was only the beginning.

* * * * * *

When Lily came home that afternoon, she asked how Sev's day off with Harry had gone, and her husband answered honestly, "It was a nightmare, Lil. He threw the worst tantrum I've ever seen, right in the middle of Trimelda's Toys . . ."

Lily groaned. "Oh, Merlin, Sev! I think we're going to have our hands full." Then she kissed him and suddenly he felt better, despite the day's catastrophe and the fact that he still hadn't gotten her a present for Christmas. Lily could always make him feel better, no matter what.

"How do other parents survive this?" he murmured as he twined his fingers in her hair.

"I don't know, but I think I'm going to ask my mother." Lily replied, leaning into Severus's embrace.

"A brilliant idea," Severus agreed. Hopefully, Vi could tell him how to survive this phase without going totally round the bend and throttling his imp of a son.

Chapter End Notes:
Poor Sev & Lily! And it just gets worse next chapter!

Thanks to all my reviewers for sticking with me.