Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, this chapter focuses on the last gift Lily gives Harry.

See if you can guess what it is, though if you've read the other stories in the series, you should know the answer.

Kleenex warning here as well!
A Last Special Gift
 

Gathering all of her remaining strength, Lily placed her feet on the floor and stood.  Nowadays, even that simple act took major effort, and left her feeling as if she'd been fighting Death Eaters nonstop.  But she was determined to do this, one last time, to shop for a special gift for Harry's fourth birthday. She put a hand out to steady herself against the wall just as Alice came rushing in.

"Lily, are you sure you want to do this?" she asked worriedly. "Your mum and I could always go for you."

"I know, and thanks, but this is something I need to do myself, Alice.  Know what I mean?" she gave her friend a sort of lopsided smile.  "I'll try real hard not to fall down till after we're back home," she joked.

"Oh, Lily!" Alice reached out and hugged her friend, tears streaking her face.

"Hey, that was a joke.  You're supposed to laugh," Lily murmured, knowing she  must feel like skin and bones through her summer turquoise pant set, she practically existed on Nutrient potions and water these days.

"Don't quit your day job, Lil," Alice managed to say, quickly dashing away tears. "You all set?"

"Yes.  Now let's get moving, before Sev discovers our plot and ties me to the bed."

"He do that a lot? I never would've figured him for that sort," Alice giggled wickedly.

"He's got hidden depths to him," Lily chuckled. She carefully placed her arm in Alice's. 

"Mmmhmm.  Wish Frank did.  But he's like an open book, I knew everything there was to know about him after the first date." Alice grinned, helping her friend walk slowly across the room.  "Relax, this jailbreak is easy, compared to some others I've done."

"What others?"

Alice just smirked maddeningly. "Tell you later.  Wouldn't want Sev to bust us. He'll ground us for life and take away our broomsticks."

Lily giggled and concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other.  Walking was something she only did when absolutely necessary, for it taxed her fading strength. Severus would have a fit if he knew, she thought naughtily. "Where's my mum?"

"In the getaway car." Alice answered.  They had reached the hallway.  "Okay, the coast is clear. I think it's safe to Apparate now." She pulled Lily close and then concentrated. For some witches, Apparition required them to turn in a circle, but for those with talent, like Alice, it required only a clear mental image and focus to vanish instantaneously.

They appeared just outside Vi's powder blue Ford Anglia, and Alice helped Lily into the car before hopping in herself.  "Mission accomplished, Vi. Stole her right out from under Sheriff Severus's nose."

"Good job, my girl!" Vi applauded, pulling away. "Hope you didn't shoot him."

Lily snickered at her mother's wit.  "I hope he doesn't worry too much when he finds me gone."

"Don't worry, Lil.  I left him a ransom note.  Surrender Lily.  Signed the Wicked Witch of the West."

"You're awful, Alice!" Lily laughed. 

"Yup.  I'm the one your mother warned you about, all right."

Vi drove the car until they reached a small side street, then parked it and got out. "Next stop, Diagon Alley.  Come on, girls! It's time to spend some Galleons!"

"Can you adopt me, Mrs. Evans? ‘Cause you are way cooler than my mum," Alice begged, then drew her wand and tapped on the blank wall at the end of the alley.

* * * * * *

 

Ten minutes later, the wayward shopaholics were in Trimelda's Toys, searching for the perfect gift.  Lily bypassed all the new toys and brooms, much to Vi's surprise.  She was looking for something specific, not the commercialized brand name toys. Finally, while browsing near a small corner of stuffed toys and picture books, she saw it.

Sitting high atop a shelf was a beautiful stuffed panther, about the size of a large housecat, with plush black velvet fur and bright glass green eyes.  Lily smiled.  It was perfect.  She reached up and took it down, hugging it to her.  It was soft and cuddly, the perfect toy for Harry to snuggle with and sleep with at bedtime or anytime. 

"Look, Alice!" she showed the panther to her friend.  "It's perfect! Harry loves the Jungle Book stories, Bagheera is his favorite character in them.  And here is a lovely panther, just waiting for some little boy to give him a home.  Feel him!"

Alice hugged the panther as well.  "Oh, Lil! He's wonderfully soft.  Nev would love a toy like this."

"And Harry loves Bagheera, and he was just saying the other day that he was too old to be carrying Smokey around anymore, that purple dragons were for babies." Lily smiled, taking the panther back from Alice.  "I had a stuffed kitty when I was little, and I took her everywhere with me, she was like my best friend.  Until I met Severus, that is."

Vi found them a few minutes later, and she too agreed that the panther was a perfect gift.  Lily paid for it and then they left to pick up a few more small items, before Alice opened the tunnel back to where they had parked the car.

 

* * * * * *

 

They arrived home and found a very irritated Severus waiting on the porch, looking very much  like a father waiting for the arrival of a disobedient teenage daughter who had snuck out of the house. 

"Uh oh.  He looks the way my dad did after he caught me climbing down the trellis to meet Frank at midnight when I was fifteen," Alice said, smirking like a guilty teenager.  "Maybe we should just keep driving, Vi."

"Where the hell have you been, Lily?" Severus demanded, striding over to the car and opening the door to assist his wife out.  "I come home and find you gone and Misty doesn't know where you went.  Do you have any idea how worried I've been?"

"Sev, calm down." Lily began, laying a hand on her husband's arm.

"I am calmed down.  You should have seen me ten minutes ago."

"We're sorry, Dad, we didn't ask your permission before going to the mall," Alice put in, her blue eyes twinkling merrily.

"I thought you left him a note," Lily said, giving the petite Auror an accusing look.

"Uh, I thought about it," said her friend with a guilty expression.  Then she turned to Severus, who was still wearing a disapproving scowl, and said, "Really, Sev, Lily wanted to shop for a special present for Harry, and she figured you'd never agree to let her go out since she's sick, so Vi and I kidnapped her."

"Very funny, Alice.  I'm not a prison warden, you know." Severus said grumpily.  He swung Lily up into his arms and said, quietly, "I would have come with you, if you had asked me.  I just want to keep you safe, Lily. When I came home and found you missing . . .all I could think of was that something had happened and you were rushed to St. Mungos and I Apparated there and nobody knew anything about a Lily Ann Snape being admitted there. I was frantic and I probably looked like an idiot.  Please, don't ever do that to me again."

"I'm sorry, Sev.  I didn't mean to make you worry," Lily apologized, giving her husband a sheepish look.  "But I wanted to pick out a special gift for Harry's birthday, because this could be the last one that I'll be around for, so . . ."

"All right, I forgive you.  But if you ever scare me like that again, I'll . . .I'll cast a Sticking Charm and tie you to the bed."

Lily tried to look contrite, but she couldn't quite manage it.  She snickered, looking at Alice, and said, "See? Didn't I tell you he'd say that?" She eyed her husband fondly.  "Severus, since when did you change your name to Henry Evans?"

Severus gaped at her.  "I didn't . . .what's that supposed to mean?. . .You think I'm acting like your father?"

"You are, dear," Vi commented, chuckling.  "But that's all right, all men tend to become overprotective idiots when they're concerned about their wives." She patted his cheek, and he flushed a dusky red color.  "I have to be going, Lil, your dad should be done with his golf game by now and probably be raiding the fridge, only there's nothing much to eat, since I haven't gone shopping yet.  I'm a terrible wife, aren't I, neglecting my husband," she said, a naughty glint in her eye.   "I'll be back tomorrow for the party.  Two o'clock, right?"

"Yes.  Goodbye, Mum. See you tomorrow!" Lily waved, as Severus turned about, heading up the front stairs. 

"Have you eaten anything since this morning, Lily? No, I can tell from the expression on your face.  How about we try a malted chocolate milkshake today?"

"With a side of a Nutrient Potion and a Stomach Soother chaser, huh?"

"You're brilliant, Mrs. Snape," her husband remarked, then kissed her. "Just what your Healer ordered."

Alice followed them with Harry's present.  "How about the rest of us starving people, Sev? Please tell me you're not all on a liquid diet in your house."

"No, but you deserve to get a time-out and no lunch for being a sly little minx, Alice!" he teased, shaking a finger at her in mock reproof.  "Whatever were you thinking?"

Alice pretended to look sorry.  "That my best friend needed a girl's day out, Healer Snape.  It's got to be boring as seven hells being trapped in that bed all day long."

"I know, but her platelet count was down, and it's all too easy to catch a cold or something when that happens.  I'm just trying to prevent further complications.  I don't mean to act like . . .like an overbearing ass, you know."

"Is that an apology?" Alice grinned.

"Yes, you interfering snip," Severus said, pretending to glower.  "The only one you're going to get, so take it or leave it."

Alice laughed.  "I take back what I said before, you're nothing like my father.  He thinks the words I'm sorry are a foreign language." 

Severus muttered something that sounded suspiciously like "So does my bloody father," before setting Lily down in a chair at the kitchen table. 

"Am I still in trouble, sir?" asked Alice in her best little-girl voice, giving Severus an impish grin.

"You were born in trouble, Longbottom," drawled Severus lightly.  "You're lucky Neville takes after Frank."

Alice shouted with laughter. "Ha! Frank was worse than I ever was.  Neville takes after his grandfather, I think. Tom was always even-tempered, one reason why he was such a good Herbologist."

 

"Now that I can believe. Would you like turkey or ham on a roll?"

"Tunafish."

"Don't push it, Alice," he warned, smirking. Then he summoned the cold cuts  and began preparing some sandwiches and a malted milkshake, as relieved as a sheepdog whose strayed sheep had returned home.

 

* * * * * *

The next day, July 31st, was Harry's fourth birthday.  Severus had decorated the house in the jungle theme that Harry had wanted, using illusion to make the den and the kitchen look like a wild jungle, complete with a false waterfall on the den wall and canopied trees, vines, and fake animals like parrots, panthers, monkeys, tigers, and an elephant that trumpeted when a visitor walked into the foyer.

Ron, Ginny, Neville, and Fred and George all thought the décor was "wickedly brilliant", and kept trying to touch the illusionary animals and put their hands in the waterfall.  All of the illusions felt and looked and sounded real, but the water didn't get you wet and you couldn't ride the elephant either.  George tried, and ended up flat on his bum, much to the amusement of his siblings, Neville, and Harry.

Vi had baked a lovely chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, complete with plastic jungle critters and Harry's name and Happy Birthday done in blue icing. Refreshments consisted of small finger foods, sandwiches, and fruit punch and pumpkin juice for the children, and iced tea for the adults. 

The kids had fun playing games like Elephant Walk, where they had to pretend to be elephants, and the best one got a trumpet that sounded like one, courtesy of Sirius, who made it.  Ron won that game, and Molly threatened to ship her son over to the Black house and torture Sirius with the trumpet while he slept. "As if I don't have enough noise in the Burrow already, Siri, honestly!"

Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Tiger was another hit, and Harry ended up with the small fake tiger skin rug for his bedroom.  "Just like Mowgli, Dad!" he told Severus excitedly.

There was the Monkey Toss as well, where the kids had to toss banana-shaped bean bags into a series of buckets and the one who got the most won a certificate to the ice cream shoppe for a giant-sized banana split.   The twins won that one, and Molly just groaned, for the last thing those two needed was more sugar.  But at least they could both share it.

Neville and Ginny received consolation prizes of small stuffed animals, Neville got a small stuffed giraffe and Ginny a wolf cub. 

They were all eating the cake when three surprise visitors showed up.

"Hello, Harry! We come bearing gifts!" Matthew said, stepping out of the fireplace, followed by Albus and Minerva.

"Uncle Matt! Uncle Al! Auntie Min!" shouted Harry.  "You came just in time for cake."

"We planned it that way, kid," laughed Matthew, and gave him a hug. 

"How old are you, Harry? Five? Six?" asked Albus.

"Nope, I'm only four, Uncle Al."

"But you're a very mature four," said Minerva, ruffling his hair.

Harry shrugged.  "I guess so.  You wanna have some cake? My gran made it special."

"I would love some, Harry." Minerva beamed, and handed him her wrapped present.

"Thank you," he said, remembering his manners this time without prompting from his parents. 

The three new arrivals seated themselves at the table, which magically expanded to accommodate them, and were greeted by Severus and Lily.

"Glad you could make it, Matt." Severus said to his partner.  "Thought you might have opted to sleep instead, considering the call you had last night."

"I would never miss Harry's birthday if I could help it, Severus." The physician yawned.  "Although I feel like I did back in med school, pulling an all-nighter for my Magical Diagnostic final."

Severus shoved a glass of black Bohea tea over to the blond Healer.  "Drink that, it'll keep you up for another five hours."

"Thanks, buddy," Matthew took the cup and downed it in two swallows.  "Nimue's staff, Sev! What'd you lace that with, firewhiskey?"

The Master Healer shook his head.  "You know I don't keep alcoholic beverages in my house, Morgan.  Not even for medicinal purposes.  That's triple-strength brewed black India tea with a dash of orange peel."

"Phew! That could animate a corpse, Sev."

Minerva was looking at the teapot curiously.  "Mind if I try some?"

"Be my guest," Severus slid a cup over to her.  "But it is very strong."

The Transfiguration professor didn't seemed fazed.  "I'm Scots, I like my tea strong."

"Watch out, Minerva, it'll put hair on your chest," warned Matthew.

She put the cup to her lips and sipped.

Everyone waited for her reaction.

She set the cup down.

Then she smiled.  "Just right for a braw Highland day, Healer Snape."

Albus burst out laughing at Matthew's shocked expression. 

"I used to drink that when I was studying for my Healer Medical Boards and my Auror entrance exams," Severus admitted.  "Two cups of that and I was able to stay up all night without a Stimulant Draft."

"I still think you spiked it with something, Snape," muttered Matthew.

"Healer's Oath, Matt, there's nothing but tea in there," his partner stated solemnly, grinning evilly.  "You Americans don't know how to appreciate strong tea, is all."

Matthew just rolled his eyes, too wise to engage in a debate he wouldn't win.

After everyone had eaten dessert, it was time to open presents, and Severus declared Harry utterly spoiled by everyone, including himself.  It had been decided that Lily's gift would be given later, so Harry would have time to appreciate it, rather than receiving it amid all the other ones. 

While Severus was supervising Harry afterwards as he played with his gifts, Lily drew Minerva and Albus and Matthew off to the side, and said, "I was hoping to speak with you earlier, but . . .now is as good a time as any," She had her hands folded in her lap, and her cheeks were flushed with an unnatural color, for she was running a low grade fever that refused to break despite Severus's potions.  "You all know that I'm running on borrowed time, and I need to ask you all a favor."

"Anything, Lily," Matthew was quick to say, his hazel eyes full of compassion and sorrow. 

"I want you to watch over Severus when I am gone.  I know you probably will any how, but this way . . .He will never ask you to help, he's too bloody proud, but please, look after him.  It would make me feel better, knowing that you are there if he needs you . . ."

Minerva cleared her throat, steadfastly blinking back tears.  "Of course we will look after Sev, dearest.  He is like a son to me and to Albus too."

"You needn't worry on that score, my girl," Albus sniffled.  "We shall drop by as often as may be, on one pretext or another."

"And he won't be able to play stoic with me, I know him far too well for that," reassured Matthew.  "I'll keep an eye on him and Harry, never fear, Lil."

Lily drew in a deep breath, coughing slightly.  Her heart now felt lighter.  "Thank you.  I had been worried that he might . . .attempt to follow me down the starry road.  But if he knows that he is loved, he will stay, for you as well as Harry.  I have asked Sirius and Remus as well, and both of them have promised me the same thing.  Severus is not normally one to seek death as a solution to a problem, but grief does strange things to a man, and the bond between us . . .is very strong . . ."  Two tears ran down her cheeks unheeded.  "His magic is all that keeps me from walking that road now. That is why he drinks that tea, though he will never admit it.  But he cannot keep giving me his strength forever, and once it is withdrawn . . ."

Matthew looked alarmed.  "How long has he been giving you his magic, Lily?"

"Not long.  Since yesterday.  He knows his limit, Matthew.  I trust him.  A month, no longer, and then I shall refuse him, and slip away quietly.  But I wanted to be here to celebrate my son's birthday, and our anniversary.  I will not let him sacrifice himself in a doomed attempt to keep me here." She lifted a hand to wipe away the tears.  Her voice, when she spoke again, was filled with an iron determination.  "Bad enough Harry must know my loss and James's, I refuse to let him lose Severus as well.  When the time comes, I shall do what must be done."

Albus reached out and caught her hand in his own.  "My dear girl, you are braver than any Gryffindor ever Sorted, myself included.  How I wish I could spare you this choice, but even my power cannot keep death at bay."

"I would never expect that, old friend.  I am called, the Angel of death has written my name in his book, and when it is time, he shall come for me." Lily declared serenely.  "I am not seeking to cheat death, only delay it for awhile. Thank you." Then she rose and walked slowly back over to where her son was unwrapping the last of his gifts, smiling at him lovingly.

The three wizards stared after her admiringly, wiping tears from their faces.

"Now there goes the bravest soul I have ever known," murmured Healer Morgan.

"Indeed.  A true daughter of Merlin," Albus agreed, then bowed his head, his shoulders shaking. 

Minerva, also weeping, put an arm about him, for both knew this was probably the last time they would speak with Lily.

Matthew was dangerously close to tears himself, and started to leave, but was halted by Minerva's hand on his robe, and she hugged him to her as well, muttering irritably, "Oh for God's sake, let yourself grieve, you young pup, there's naught to be ashamed of."

And to his utter shock, Matthew found himself obeying, and crying quietly on the opposite side of her tartan-clad shoulder.  He hated losing a patient like this, and worse, a friend.  But like Lily, he had resigned himself to the inevitable months before, though the realization did not make it hurt any less.  He shivered, for he could only imagine how much worse Severus and Harry would feel once Lily was gone forever. And he knew of no magic potion that would cure a broken heart.

 

* * * * *

 

Later on that night, after everyone had gone home and Harry had gotten a bath and come down off the sugar high from eating too many sweets, Severus told him that he had one last present to open.  Lily had shown him the panther the night before and he had agreed that this gift should be opened in private.

"I do? Where is it? Who's it from? Aunt Petunia?"

"No, it's from your mum," Severus replied.  Petunia had been invited to the party, but had sent a reply back that she would not be attending, she had other obligations and had not sent a gift.  Or if she had, it had not arrived yet.  Severus wasn't holding his breath, he knew the disdain she held for wizards in general and his son in particular.

He brought Harry into the bedroom, where Lily was lying propped up by several pillows, a brightly wrapped green, blue, and gold package in her hands.  "Hi, little imp!" she smiled.  "I have one more gift for you, birthday boy."

Severus set Harry down and the little boy ran towards her, his green eyes lighting up.  "What is it, Mummy? You already gave me a present-the dragon flyer swing.  It's so cool, Ron and I took turns on it and it goes really high."

The swing was Severus's idea, a new addition to the existing swing set, a special swing shaped like a dragon that floated and hovered in the air before coming down.  It was all the rage among the toddlers that year and Severus had waited on line for hours to pre-order one and it had been delivered two days ago and the Healer had stayed up all last night  assembling it.

Lily held out an arm and Harry snuggled next to her, but gently, for he knew that his mother was often achy and hurting, and he didn't want to make her worse.

"I'm glad you like the swing.  That was your dad's idea.  But this is from me, Harry. Something special that I'd like you to have." She handed him the package.

He tore open the paper and for one moment just looked at the ebony panther sitting among the colored paper. Then he grinned and hugged the soft silky cat to him.  "Is he all mine? Like forever?"

"Yes, my Harry.  I thought he could keep you company at night, now that Smokey's too old to do that.  Do you like him?"

"I love him, Mum! He's soft and furry, just like a real panther.  Just like I ‘magine Bagheera would be.  And he has green eyes like me an' you too."

Lily nodded.  "And he will be there for you, son, whenever you want to hold something in the middle of the night, or need a friend to talk to, or to play with." Unknown to her husband, she had used the last of her strength to cast a special working upon the stuffed panther, weaving a spell of comfort and love into the fabric of the toy, so that when Harry held or played with the toy, he would feel warmth and happiness and love radiating from it.  In that way, she could give her son comfort from beyond the grave.

"He'll be my bestest friend, right? Like you an' Daddy are," Harry said suddenly, hugging the panther hard. 

"Yes, just like that." Lily agreed, smiling at Severus.

"What are you going to call this best friend of yours, scamp?" Severus queried, watching his son and his wife together with a lump in his throat. 

Harry bit his lip. "Uhh . . ."

"Bagheera?" Lily offered.  "He was always your favorite in the Mowgli stories."

But Harry shook his head. "No.  Bagheera's bigger, this one's too little."

"How about Shadow?" suggested his father.

Harry considered.  "No.  A kid in my class has a dog named that.  I want him to have his own name, Dad." He glanced about the room, thinking hard.

Suddenly, his eye was caught by the black and silver inkwell upon Lily's nightstand, next to her journal.  And then Harry knew his friend's name.

He bent and whispered it into one satiny ear and nodded.  "Yes.  That's just right."

"What is?" Lily asked, puzzled.

"His name.  It's Inky, Mum.  "Cause he's the color of ink and he likes to draw pictures too, only he don't have hands, so I have to draw them for him."

"Inky.  I like that.  It's a wonderful name, Harry."

"Very appropriate," Severus said. 

"And now you have a friend who will never leave you, my son. Inky will be there always, and whenever you feel scared or mad or lonely, you can hold him and he'll make you feel better." Lily told him.

"Like you do, Mum."

"Yes, but . . .Harry, do you remember when I told you that I would always love you, no matter if you could see me or not?"

"Yeah.  But why won't I be able to see you? Are you going away? Like on a trip with Dad?"

"I . . .in a way.  And I might not be back for . . .for a very long time.  So I gave you Inky, luv, to keep you from missing me.  When you hold him . . .remember me and know that somewhere I am watching you, child. And that I will always love you, baby." She pulled Harry into her arms and held him tightly, silent tears slipping down her cheeks. 

"Mum . . .you're choking me . . ." her son protested, not understanding why his mother was clutching him so tightly.

"Sorry, sweetling." Lily apologized.  "I just needed a hug, that's all."

Severus met her eyes and then turned away, to keep from breaking down utterly.  He doesn't understand, but this is her last gift to him.  And also goodbye. He shut his eyes, struggling to keep his grief under wraps.  It's too soon, Lil.  And yet, I know you are in pain and only my will holds you here.  It will be a mercy for you to let go, and rest in peace, but I do not know if I can bear to let you go, beloved. Selfish man that I am, I know only that I shall miss you, and nothing will ever be the same once you are gone.

Suddenly, he was beside the bed, and his arm was about his wife's shoulders.  He summoned his magic and let it flow into Lily's battered body, infusing her with his power, giving her the strength she needed to keep breathing for another few days, ignoring the sudden searing pain that always accompanied the transfer of his raw power in such a great amount.

"Sev!"

He sagged against her for a moment.  "I'm all right, Lily," he muttered, shaking off the sudden vertigo and exhaustion. 

"It's too much for you."

"No.  I'm fine," he insisted stubbornly. 

"Stubborn hardheaded fool!" she scolded half-heartedly, feeling his magic restore her.

"Yes," he agreed, unrepentant.  "But  a stubborn hardheaded fool that loves you. Always." He placed his lips against her hair and whispered, "Soon enough I shall bid you farewell, my heart.  But not yet.  Not just yet."

Harry managed to wriggle free of Lily's embrace at last, and saw the two of them looking at each other in that weird way they had, like all they saw was each other. "Aww . . .gross! Not the mushy stuff again!" he groaned, giving Inky a disgusted look.  "That stuff's for girls, Inky."  He rolled his eyes.  "Mum? Dad? You gonna do this kissing stuff all night?"

Neither of them answered him, lost in their own private world for a moment.

""Cause if you are, I'm gonna go to bed. C'mon, Inky. They get like this sometimesGrown-ups! And they say kids are weird!" He slipped off the bed and retreated down the hall to his room, chattering away to Inky about his birthday and telling him about another panther named Bagheera, who had all sorts of adventurers with a little boy named Mowgli.  "We can do that too, y'know, Inky.  I'm a wizard, and when my magic wakes up, I'll be able to do all sorts of things, but for now we can pretend, okay? I'm real good at pretending . . .better than even Ronnie and Nev. Daddy says I have a big ‘magination . . .let's pretend we're lost in the jungle and a mean old tiger's after us . . ."

The little boy raced down the hall very fast, almost as if a tiger really were chasing him, and jumped up on his bed.  "Now we're safe, Inky.  Nothing bad can get me on my bed, and you can scratch that bad old tiger's eyes out if he tries to get up here, can't you, boy?"  He hugged Inky and made the panther nod.  "You're my bestest friend, Inky . . .always . . ."

Then the four-year-old wizardling tugged the covers over his head and fell fast asleep, the stuffed panther held close, surrounding him with an aura of peace and love enough to last a lifetime, as his mother had intended.   

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked this one! I'm kind of drained writing this, so please excuse any errors, I'll fix 'em later.