Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Lily says goodbye to Severus
Where Shadows Go

One month later:

She dreamed she was flying, high above the earth, without a broomstick.  Up and up and up, beyond the endless vault of the sky, to a place that shimmered and sparkled with stray bits of light, like diamond dust in the dark.  She could feel the pull of the starry path, it beckoned her onward, promising her soothing release from the pain that was her constant companion. 

Tentatively, she placed a foot upon the glittering path, and it was then she heard the song, a beautiful melody that filled her weary tired spirit with a joy so great it was almost incomprehensible.  She wept softly, and longed to follow the road to its end, to the place where shadows go, seeking refuge from the coming of day, a place of peace and safety, that harbored no evil ever, nor pain and suffering. 

Come, Lily.  Come with me.  Don't be afraid.

That voice. . .she knew it, though she had not heard it in years.

James? Is that you?

He appeared before her then, as he had been when she had last seen him, wearing the blue and gold robes of his calling, his hair flying every which way, glasses slightly askew on the bridge of his nose.  There was a strange unearthly glow about him, as if sunlight were shining within him, and he smiled and held out a hand.

Hello, Lily.  Ready to take a walk with me?

Now? She glanced uneasily back towards the earth.  Far away, she could hear another voice calling to her, a lonely sad voice, beloved and filled with a terrible desperate longing.  Sev? I'm coming, just wait. . .

She turned back to James, who wore a sad yet knowing expression on his face. Sev needs me, James.  I can't come with you.  Not yet.

His love binds you to the earth.  But not forever.  You must tell him to let go. It is almost time, Lily.  Tell him to let go. . .let go. . .let go. . .

She woke gasping for breath, an unnatural cold seeping through her veins.  She began to shiver violently, waking her husband, who immediately turned to her and held her.  "Sev? I'm so cold . . ."

"Your fever's spiked again. Shhh. . ." He murmured a warming charm, then summoned a Fever Reducer, though the potion barely had any effect upon her failing body anymore. 

She drank obediently though, and the chill receded.  "I had a strange dream.  I was flying and then James was there. . .I haven't dreamed of James since . . .he died."

Severus stiffened.  "What did he look like, Lily?"

"He . . .like himself, except . . .his skin . . .it was lit from within by a . . .glow, I can't describe it . . ."

"An avatar." The Healer murmured hoarsely.  "Did he say anything?"

Another tremor wracked her, and for a moment, she couldn't reply.  Then she managed, "He asked me to walk with him . . .But I refused and he said . . .he said you had to let me go . . ."

Severus said nothing for a long moment, then he quoted the ancient saying from the teachings of Merlin, "Follow the starry road, to the realm where shadows go, an avatar shall guide you, to a place evil shall never know, heaven's light shall surround thee, and the peace of those who have gone before, may God's grace  bless and keep you forever."  His voice broke upon the last line, and tears trickled down his cheeks.

Lily reached out a hand and stroked his hair.  "Don't, Sev.  Please.  No regrets, remember? I will never regret loving you.  You are the very best thing in my life.  But I am fading, Sev . . ." Her green eyes shone with an odd luminous light, and her skin was pale as parchment. 

"I can give you more of my magic," he began.

"No.  You have given me enough, love.  You must not sacrifice yourself for me, Sev.  I am not afraid . . .not anymore. . ." She drew in a breath, let it out slowly.  "Promise me something."

"Anything."

"Promise me that you will not follow me where shadows go, Severus Tobias Snape."

"Lily . . .I . . ." his face twisted, as if in indescribable agony.

"Promise me, Sev!" her voice became sharp, insistent.  I know we are bonded and that you love me, but please, you have so much more to live for.  Harry needs you especially . . .and so does everyone else who loves you.  Don't follow me, Severus.  Promise me, on your Healer's Oath!"

She met his eyes steadily, and at last he nodded reluctantly, unable to refuse this last request.  "I promise, little flower."

"On your Oath, Sev."

"On my Healer's Oath, I so swear, I will not follow you, Lily."

"Thank you, my love." Then she drew his head to her shoulder and hugged him close, running her fingers through his hair. 

Severus buried his head in her breast, listening to the beat of her heart, and feeling the magic dwindling within her.  She slips away from me, with every breath she takes.  I can feel it.  Her magic flickers and dies like a guttered candle and she now has both feet upon the dark road.  And there is nothing I can do to save her, no miracle I can perform, save to simply be there with her till the end.

The ache in his heart swelled to an almost unbearable pain, and he wept softly into Lily's shoulder, unable to help himself. He wanted to howl, but restrained himself, bad enough he was crying like a baby, even if only Lily could see him.  His wife stroked his hair and murmured softly into his ear, soothing him the way she would have her son.

Eventually he cried himself to sleep, and she placed a kiss on his brow.  "God, I love you, Sev.  I'm sorry, so very sorry, but it is my time, and now I must leave you.    Remember me, beloved, and all that we have shared, and may angels watch over you." Her mouth found his, and she indulged in one last kiss, all sweet passion and fire, and with it she returned the last of his magic to him.  "What was given in love, so I now return to you. Farewell, my heart. I shall wait for you at heaven's gate.  Farewell, my child, someday we shall meet again.  May you have a long life, Harry, and may you someday know a love like mine."

She made one last journal entry, then set aside the quill and ink forever.

She had said the rest of her goodbyes earlier that day and the previous one and now at last she could leave her worn out body behind and seek the starry road. The internal fire of her magic died to an ember and then went out altogether. Her eyes closed, and her breathing slowed, until finally it ceased altogether, and her spirit soared free of her corporal self. 

James reappeared and held out his hand.  Come, Lily.  It is time for you to travel the starry road, love.  Fear not, you won't get lost.  I know the way.

Lily took his hand, it felt warm, not cold at all, and together they began to walk down the starry road between the worlds to the realm where shadows go, where peace reigns supreme and nothing ever really dies.

Chapter End Notes:
I cannot believe I actually did this. I feel like Nicholas Sparks, who has a tragic death in almost every novel. I am surprised I actually managed to write this chapter, considering I hate tragic endings.

I hope you all enjoyed this, there's one last chapter remaining and then I'll wrap this up.