Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry and Severus have a serious conversation.
Making Plans

Present

“Easter Break came in the blink of an eye.  It was sort of a blessing and a curse this year.  It was great to have a break from classes, but all of the professors thought it would be a great idea to give twice as much homework to us fifth years.  Hermione also saw fit to start bugging us about reviewing for our O.W.L.s.  All in all it wasn’t that much of a break. The best thing about it was the time I got to spend with my dad.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

April 1996

“That will be enough for this afternoon Harry,” Severus said straightening after being thrown out of his son’s mind once more.

“Alright,” Harry agreed catching his breath.  “I guess I should get going if I want to get to dinner.”  Harry said after a moment.

“Actually, I was wondering if you would like to join me for dinner here.”  Severus inquired.

“Oh, okay,” Harry said taking a seat on the sofa once more.

“I will be back in a moment, when I return I will order us dinner, if that is acceptable to you?”  Severus asked.

Harry shrugged, “That’s fine.  I could order dinner for us if you’d like.”  Harry offered as an afterthought.

“That will not be necessary.” Severus told him.

With that Severus disappeared down a short hallway.  Harry took the opportunity to explore the room a bit more.  The entire room was lined with bookcases.  There were so many books that they all couldn’t fit on the many shelves. There were some stacked on top of the books on the shelves.  Harry didn’t take the time to read any of the titles.  He was sure Hermione would die of jealousy to get a chance to explore the Professor’s personal library.  Harry was sure there were some valuable volumes in here, but he wouldn’t have known them is they walked up and introduced themselves.

Harry moved to the mantle.  He carefully picked up the intricately inlaid box he had seen Seve- his father take the Floo-Powder from.

“It was your grandmother’s,” Severus’s deep voice said from behind.

Harry nearly jumped out of his skin.  It was only his Quidditch perfected reflexes that stopped the box from hitting the ground.

“Do be careful Potter,” Severus begged.

“Sorry sir,” Harry carefully placed it where it belonged.  “You said it was my grandma’s.  How did you get it?”

Severus fought back the urge to roll his eyes.  “Like all other people I too had a mother, Harry.  When she passed away I inherited all her belongings.”

Harry was smart enough to look shamefaced.  “I…sorry…I thought…I mean when you said it was my grandma’s I thought it was my mum’s mum… you know.”

“Stop your rambling.  I am aware of what you thought.  The only thing I have of the Evans’ is a book.  Your mother left it at my house the summer before our falling out.  I never had a chance to return it.”

“Oh,” Harry acknowledged awkwardly.  “But the box belonged to your mum?”

“Yes, it was a gift from Tobias.  He acquired it when he was abroad with the Navy.  I believe during his service during World War II.”  Severus explained.

“Cool,” Harry said looking at the box once more.

“Now if you would take a seat at the table I can order our dinner.” Severus said mildly.

Harry did as he was told taking a seat on the right side of the table.  He never sat at the ends.  Those were where his aunt and uncle sat at the Dursleys and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley at the Burrow.  It just seemed like a place for adults to Harry.

Harry was pulled from his stupor as a number of steaming dishes appeared on the small table.

Harry helped himself to servings mash potatoes, roast beef, green beans, and much to Severus’s surprise sprouts.

“What?”  Harry asked sprout half way to his mouth.

“Nothing,” Severus said.  “It’s just not many teens would voluntarily eat a sizable helping of sprouts.”

Harry shrugged.  “They’re not my favorite, but I sort of got used to them.  Dudley refused to touch so there were one of the few things that there was plenty to go ‘round.”

Severus made a sound in acknowledgement.  “Your mother shared your cousin’s opinion of the vegetable.  I am not overly fond of them myself.  I was forced to eat them in my youth and no matter how many times I tell those damn elves not to send me any, they still end up on my table.”

Harry chewed his sprout slowly. “Is everything okay, sir?”  He asked as he finished. The older man seemed rather tense.  It wasn’t like the professor to over react to something as trivial as sprouts.

“Everything is fine,” Severus reassured.  

They sat quietly at the table Harry playing with his potatoes as the professor finished his dinner.

“If you’re not going to eat, you may be excused,” Severus said as he watched Harry smash the tower of mashed potatoes he’d just constructed.

Harry nodded and left the table.  Unsure of what to do, he took a seat on one of the sofa to wait.  Severus joined him a moment later, taking a seat in his favorite arm chair.  Neither said a word as Severus poured them both a cup of tea from the tray that appeared a moment before. Harry dished out several biscuits for each out them making sure to take both of the jam shortbreads, his favorite.

Severus took another sip his tea and asked, “Have you given any consideration to your summer plans?”

Harry shrugged.  “Not really, summer is months away.  I figured I’d spend time at the Burrow, I do most every summer.  I might get to see Sirius too.  I don’t get to see him that often.  I’d be going batty if I was cooped up in that house like he is.  I think he could use some more company.  The only time he really sees people are Order meetings…”

“I am aware of Black’s condition, Harry.  We are discussing your welfare at the moment not his.” Severus reminded his son.

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled softly.

“I take it you had not given much thought to where you will permanently reside then.” Severus said setting down his cup.

Harry looked confused.  “I thought I has to go back to the Dursleys like always.”

Severus’s face darkened, “You are never going back there.  I will not let you go back just to be abused by those horrid Muggles.”

Harry let out a mirthless laugh, “Sure, fine.  There had to be a catch.  Where am I supposed to go?”

Severus frowned at the boy’s tone, so jaded and angry for someone so young.

“The catch, you would be you would have to stay with me.”  Severus said smoothly.

“Huh, why with you?”  Harry asked dumbly.

“For the same reason you must return to the Dursleys’ each summer.  As long as you inhabit a location of a blood relative and most importantly considerate it home you will be protected by the bloodwards.”

“Oh right, I guess that makes sense.  So, I wouldn’t have to see the Durselys before I went over to the Burrow.”

A crease appeared in Severus’ brow.  

“No, you would not have to return to the Dursleys.  However, I had hoped to spend the summer getting better acquainted with you if you chose to spend the summer with me.”

Harry opened his mouth as if to speak before shutting it quickly.  How could he not have realized Snape would want him to stay for the summer when he was inviting for just that purpose?

“Sorry, sir… Father, it’s just I’ve gone to the Burrow every summer since after first year.  I didn’t mean… I just thought...”

Snape put up his hand to silence the teen’s ramblings, “Harry, stop, if you would prefer to only stay with me long enough to satisfy the wards that could be arranged.”

“No,” Harry blurted out.

Severus was surprised by how admittedly the boy was opposed to what he said.

“I don’t want to go to the Burrow.”  Harry shook his head in frustration.  “I don’t want to spend my whole summer there.  I just go there as soon as I can to avoid the Dursleys.  If I was with you, I’m sure I wouldn’t be so desperate to get away.  I mean, you’ve been treating me a lot better than they ever do.”

Severus raised a skeptical eyebrow.

“What, you don’t keep food from me, or call me ‘freak’ and let me do my homework.  Even when you were being a right bastard it was better than the Dursleys.”

Severus scoffed.

“You never took a broom to me ‘cause I didn’t do a good enough job with the sweeping, or refused to feed me when I burned the bacon.” Harry said to his cup.

“No, but there are other ways of hurting a child without ever laying a hand on them,” Severus said sadly.  “I have hurt you just as badly as the Dursleys ever did.”

“No you didn’t!” Harry protested.

“Yes I did.”

“You didn’t!”  Harry really yelled as he jumped to his feet.  “I can’t say your words didn’t hurt, but you weren’t as bad as them.”

Severus watched his son intently.  The teenager had no idea how much damage he had suffered at the hand of those who were supposed to care for him.

“Harry, you cannot understand how much the Dursleys and I have hurt you, not now, possibly not ever.  I can only offer you an apology for way I treated you and promise to not repeat my same mistakes in the future.”

Harry shifted uncomfortable under his father’s intense scrutiny, as his father’s words settled in.

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to say sir.  We can’t change the past.  We can try and make amends and to do things better in the future…so I guess I accept your apology,” Harry said his voice choked with emotion.

The next thing Harry knew he was drawn to his father’s chest.  It would have strange for this to have happened weeks before, even then it was a little odd, but it felt right.

Severus drew a hand to run through Harry’s hair.  “You are more like you mother than I would have ever given you credit for.”

“Really,” Harry asked in disbelief.  He pulled back to look into his father’s eyes.

“Yes, Lily too had an extraordinary ability to forgive, even when the individual did not deserve it.”  Severus explained a note of curious amusement in his voice.

“Huh,” Harry said as Severus finally ended the embrace. “Who did Mum have to forgive?”

Severus’ eyes flashed darkly.  “That is not important.  All you need know is your mother was a wonderfully forgiving woman.”

Still puzzled Harry asked.  “Is there something else you wanted to talk about?”

Severus gave a nod.  “Your O.W.L.s are rapidly approaching,” Severus began.

“Yeah, I know,” Harry whined.

“If you would kindly let me finish, Mr. Potter.  What I was going to say was your O.W.L.s are rapidly approaching.  The results of these exams will determine the career opportunities available to you when you finish your education.”  Severus lectured.

“I know that.”  Harry said again.

“It does you no harm to be reminded.  Have you give any consideration to your career choices?”  Severus asked.

Harry thought about it.  He’d seen the pamphlets in the corner of the Common Room, but he hadn’t taken the time to really sit down and read them yet.  “Not really,” Harry admitted.  “I sort of thought of becoming an Auror, but that’s the only thing I’ve looked at.”

Severus frowned.  “It is never wise to put all your eggs in one basket.  An Auror is a noble profession.  It take a great deal of time and dedication to become one.  However, you should always have a fall back plan.  You can never predict what may occur in life.  It is good to have a wide inventory of skills and knowledge you may fall back on in case your original plans falls through.  If you wish to pursue this course I will do all I can to aid you.  Right now I can tell you, you need to pull up your marks in Potions.  I accept nothing less than ‘Outstanding’ in my N.E.W.T.s classes, my son or no.”

“Yes sir,” was all Harry could manage to say.

“We can work on your Potions abilities tomorrow.  Report to the classroom at 10 a.m.  Be prepared to get messy.”  Severus instructed.  “I will do my best to help you pursue your dreams Harry.  I will not have you forced into a career because that is the only thing you are qualified to do, nor will I let you live off your fame and savings.  You will have a meaningful career as long as I have a say in your life.”

“Did you always want to be a professor,” Harry asked.

Severus quirked an eyebrow, “I believe you know the answer to that question already Harry, or at least can guess.”

“Probably not then.”  Harry said, a small smile gracing his lips.

“Indeed.  A series of events both in and out of my control lead me to my current career.  I will tell you, when I was young I considered it as a possible career path.  Like yourself the castle was my first home and the people here my family.  I was very apprehensive about leaving.”  Severus explained.

“If you didn’t want to be a professor, what did you want to do,” Harry asked curiously.

“I always planned to achieve my Potions Mastery.  I considered using it in a number of ways; apothecary, specialty potions brewer, even work at St. Mungo’s.” Severus explained.

Harry left out a soft chuckle, “Knowledge and skills.”

“They are something which can never be taken away from you, Harry.  Even if you do not know what you plan to do with them recognize your strengths and develop them.”  Severus urged.

The clock chimed on the mantle.

“I believe that is our warning you have a half hour before curfew.”  Severus said rising.

“Yeah,” Harry grumbled.

“I will see you in the morning, Harry.”

“Good night, sir” Harry said making his way to the door.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading. AS always thanks to my beta, Pan for taking the time and helping me with this story.