Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Truths come out
Ink Black, Blood Red

Present

“Things were about to get a lot worse for everybody here at Hogwarts.  This was largely of my own doing in a way.  If I hadn’t formed the D.A.  Umbridge couldn’t have used it against us like she did.  I knew the professors would tell me that it wasn’t my fault, if it wasn’t the D.A. it would have been something else.”  Harry looked over his shoulder as if to confirm this.  “She wanted to discredit me and to get rid of Professor Dumbledore.  She thought she even got her way too.”

“I’d like to say Umbridge didn’t end up finding out about the D.A. cause of Dad’s help, since he was supposedly giving students Veritaserum during Umbridge’s interviews.  But like I said earlier, I’m not going to lie.  We were ratted out by one of the girls in Ravenclaw.”  There were a series of boos from the crowd, mostly from former DA members.

Harry continued once the crowd quieted down.  “I can understand why she did it.  Umbridge was threatening not only us but out parents’ careers for participating in the DA.  The information the girl provided allowed Umbridge to break into the club meeting.  Those members that were caught, which sadly was most of us ended up in some deep trouble.  On top of that, Umbridge used the name as the final straw to get Professor Dumbledore sacked and even arrested, or at least tried to.  Professor Dumbledore wasn’t going to come quietly.  He hexed the Aurors that had come to get him and he and Fawkes flashed out.  He used this time away from the school to hunt down the last of those Horcruxes I mentioned earlier”

“As it turned out Umbridge did us a favor.  Since the Headmaster was free of his duties here at Hogwarts he was free to go Horcrux hunting.  I promise I’ll explain all that, but not until we get to it.”  Harry shifted in his seat.  “What I feel most guilty about is my fellow students getting hurt.”  Harry looked down at the scars on the back of his right hand.

As Harry pushed the glasses up his nose once more, he said, “When Professor Umbridge found out about the D.A. she thought its members needed to have a lasting reminder as to why we shouldn’t belong to a seditious groups.  Her favorite way was of ensuring this was getting us to do lines.  Lines written with a blood quill.” 

There was an audible gasp from the members of the press.

Harry let out a humorless chuckle.  “Tell me about it.  She’d been using one on me since my first detention of the year.  At the time, I didn’t know who I could tell.  I also didn’t realize just how bad they were.  I tried to tell Professor McGonagall, but she couldn’t really help for her own sake.  So I suffered for a while… a long while.  Then Dad found out.  Well, his job security and whatever other concerns didn’t stop him.  He went spare when he found out about it.”

Harry shook his head, “It was great seeing the look on Professor McGonagall’s face when Dad ordered her to his quarters and demanded an explanation for the scars.  I’m pretty sure she was convinced Hell had frozen over.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

May 1996

“Potter,” Dolores Umbridge called as the fifth years prepared to depart the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

Harry groaned and headed up to the professor’s desk.  He tried to keep a straight face as he stood before her.

“You will join me tonight for detention.”  She said in her usual sickeningly sweet voice.

Harry was incredulous.  “Professor, I have Remedial Potions with Professor Snape tonight.”

“Potter, are you telling me, Dolores Jane Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister for Magic, High Inquisitor and Headmistress of Hogwarts must wait behind a mere professor?” 

Ron who was waiting a few desks was waiting a few desks away let out a cough that sounds suspiciously like “acting” and the mention of her titles.

Harry paused.  He would be in trouble either way.  Umbridge took his silence at his concession.  “I will see you at seven, Mr. Potter.”  She said waving her hand in dismissal.

Harry let out a small groan as he looked at the clock.  It was Double Potions in ten minutes.  He would have to talk to Professor Snape at some point today to tell him he’d have to miss their lesson that evening.

Harry managed to make it through without committing any major mistakes.  His elixir might be a tad strong, but if you want to grow more hair could you really be too hairy?  Harry waited until the rest of the class departed before approaching Professor Snape’s desk.

“Potter,” the man greeted in his usually cool tone.

“Errr…” Harry shifted his bag further up his shoulder in discomfort.  “Sir, I need to miss our lesson tonight.”

Severus raised one eyebrow sharply at this.

“I have… I have detention with Professor Umbridge tonight.”  Harry explained anxiously.

When Severus spoke his words were cold and firm. “I see.  Whatever act of horrible behavior you committed to warrant such a punishment will not release you from your prior commitments.  You will report to my office as soon as you are dismissed from Professor Umbridge’s presence.”

Harry slumped down dejectedly, “Yes sir.”

“Go now, Potter.  I will see you this evening.”  Severus commanded.

Harry made it through his detention with Umbridge without letting out a single sound.  He was happy to know how disappointed Umbridge was at this.  He’d written the line so many times by this point it was bleeding instantly.  Harry handkerchief tighter around his abused hand.  He then shoved his hand deep into his pocket.  Hopefully he could keep it hidden from Professor Snape all night.  He really didn’t want to have to explain what happened to him.

He had almost gotten away with it too, or at least he thought he had.  Then he made the mistake to ask Professor Snape for Murtlap essence.  Severus noticed the boy’s reluctance to remove his hand from his pocket, but hoped the teen would explain himself.  That seemed less and less likely.  The request gave him the perfect opportunity to inquire about it.

“Why would you need this ingredient?  I do not believe it is called for in any of your forthcoming potions.  Potion brewing is not a hobby of yours as far as I am aware.  If you are injured, you should see Madam Pomfrey.”

“Errr…” Harry play with the knot in the handkerchief wrapped around his hand.  Reluctantly Harry pulled the hand from his pocket, makeshift bandage and all.

Severus peered down at the boy’s poorly wrapped hand.  “Hand caught in the biscuit jar?  How much mischief can occur between here and the Defense Against the Dark Arts office?”  Severus asked mildly as he took the hand into both of his.  Using great care he removed the bandage.  Severus let out a quiet hiss at sight that greeted him at removal of red stained bandage.

“Explain this.”  Severus demanded sharply. There was a quite fury plain in his voice.  Harry tried to step back but Severus held his hand firm. “I’m waiting,” Severus snapped.

“It’s from detention,” Harry rushed.

“Obviously.  I am not fool enough to believe any son of mine would be stupid enough to willingly carve something permanently into their skin.”  Severus said taking a closer look at the wounds.

Wrinkling his nose in a very Lily sort of way, Harry pondered that statement.  His fa-the professor took the Dark Mark.  That would probably explain his aversion to tattoos.  You never knew when your opinions on something might change.

“Potter, pay attention.” Severus commanded.  “This is not the first time this has happened.”  It was a comment, not a question. 

Harry shook his head in agreement.

“How many times?”  Severus asked sharply.

Harry gave an indecisive shrug.

“Give me an estimate.  Is it more than five, Harry?”

Harry nodded.

“Have you told your Head of House about this?”  Severus asked softly.

Harry shook his head again.

“Explain.”  Severus said eyes once more on the gleaming red words etched in his son’s hand.

Harry shrugged.  “She was mad at me for upsetting Umbridge.  I figured she’d say I deserved it…”

“Idiot,” Severus grumbled.  Severus dropped Harry’s hand and stormed to the fireplace.  He threw down a pinch of Floo-Powder. “Minerva get down here.”  Severus snapped, his head disappearing only long enough to deliver his command.

A moment later an annoyed Minerva McGonagall stepped through the flames. “Severus Snape I do not appreciate being treated like an ill-behaved first year.”

“If your ability to carry your duties did not resemble one, Potter here would not face lifelong scarring from a school punishment.”  Severus snapped back.

“What in the world are you talking about?” Minerva demanded.

“Potter, come here,” Severus ordered.

Harry jumped to comply.  There was no way he testing either professor’s attitudes when they were in such a mood.

Harry joined them beside the fireplace.

“Show her your hand,” Severus commanded.

Harry quickly raised the hand in question for inspection.

Minerva’s nostrils flared.  “Umbridge’s work?”

Harry nodded.

“I see.”  Minerva said taking a closer look at the words once more.  “Was this the first time?”

Harry shook his head.

“It seems the boy was reluctant to speak up.  He believed you would say he deserved such a punishment since he provoked Madam Umbridge.”  Severus explained coldly.

McGonagall’s face dropped.  How could that be?  “Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention Severus.  Now, Mr. Potter, would you care to accompany me to the Hospital Wing?”

“He’s going nowhere with such an inattentive, obtuse…” Severus snapped.

“DAD!” Harry protested.

Silence fell as all eyes turned to Harry.

Chapter End Notes:
Next week the reaction to the news.