Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sirius and Severus lives are in peril. What will Harry do?
If I Could Turn Back Time

Present

Harry let out a sigh.  “Dad ordered us to wait there in his quarters.  I didn’t know if any of you had ever had to sit and wait to find out if someone you loves is okay.  It sucks.  Everything is beyond your control.  I tried my best to do as he asked, but there is only so much waiting I can do.  I couldn’t in good conscience let Dad do in there with no help.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

June 1996 (the week before)

Harry paced the length of his father’s sitting room for the 20th time in as many minutes.  He couldn’t sit still.  He needed to be doing something.  Sirius was in danger, so was his dad.  He needed to go help them.  His father would be furious with him, if he disobeyed his orders.  Harry would never forgive either man if they died tonight.  Harry turned on his heel and paced back the other way.

“Harry sit down,” Ron snapped from his seat on the sofa.

“I can’t.” Harry snapped back.  “I can’t just sit here and wait.”

“Harry you heard what the professor said.  We’re supposed to wait here.  If he’s not back in an hour we’re to go and get Professor McGonagall.”  Hermione reminded her friend.

“I know what he said Hermione.” Harry bit out.

“Then sit down,” Ron urged.

“No,” Harry snapped. “You might be willing to sit and wait here like good little kids, but I can’t.  I’m not willing to see Dad and Sirius tortured and killed because we were too scared to ignore a grown up’s orders.  I’m going.  You can come with me if you want, or sit here and wait.”

“Harry, mate,” Ron began.

“No,” Harry protested.  “I don’t care if you come or not.  I’m not losing anyone else because I was too scared to do something about it.”

Ron gave Hermione a pleading look.  “Fine,” The girl agreed.  “Now how do you want to do this?”

Ron gave a frustrated sigh.  If one of them was to be the voice of reason in should have been Hermione.

Harry thought out loud. “Voldemort had Sirius in the Department of Mysteries.  If he’s there that’s probably were Dad is too.  That’s where we need to go.”

Hermione nodded in agreement as Harry went over their points of information. “How do we get to the Ministry?”

“Err… when I went with Ron’s dad we took the Underground.  We can’t do that here.  We could fly there.” Harry offered lamely.

“Or we could just Floo.” Ron pointed out obviously.

Harry turned to Ron then the fireplace, then back to Ron.

“Dad took the Underground ‘cause we were in London and he loves Muggles.  Normally he Apperates to the Ministry from the Burrow, but you can Floo too.  Dad doesn’t like doing it though ‘cause Floo Powder is kind of expensive.” Ron explained his ears going slightly pink with embarrassment.

“Obviously,” Hermione stated.  “How did I not think of that?”

“Fine.  Let’s get going,” Harry affirmed.

Harry took the box from the mantle and held it open for his two friends.  Each of the teens took a pinch before Harry grabbed one himself.  Hermione stepped into the fireplace first.  Ron followed as soon as Hermione disappeared.  Harry was just behind the other two.  He had waited another moment he would been confronted by a very distressed Neville Longbottom and frazzled Minerva McGonagall coming through his father’s door.  Instead the two were greeted by an empty sitting room.

Harry stumbled out of the fireplace at the Ministry of Magic.  Ron and Hermione stood together not far from Harry’s fireplace.

“Where do we go?” Ron asked.

“We need to get to the lifts.” Harry told them.

The three headed off at a run quickly crossing the vast atrium.

“What department Harry,” Hermione asked as they called for a lift.

“Department of Mysteries.  That’s were Ron’s dad was standing guard at Christmas.  It was the same hallway.” Harry informed them jabbing the appropriate button as they stepped into the lift.  Harry pulled the doors closed quickly.  They stood anxiously doing their best to ignore the tinny version of Christina Warbucks.  The elevator came to a stop.  Harry pulled the doors open and ran down the hall.  Hermione and Ron were right on his heels.

Harry stopped outside the familiar door.  Ron almost crashed into his back, stopping only in the nick of time.  Hermione much more gracefully came to stand beside Harry.

“What’s wrong Harry?” She asked.

“Something doesn’t feel right.  It looked different in my dream.”  Harry said uneasily.  “Keep an eye out,” Harry instructed stepping forward grasping the door handle and threw it open.  The trio stepped into a circular room of doors. 

“Great,” Ron muttered.  “Now which one do we use?”

Harry shrugged.  He stepped forward grabbing the door on his left.  It refused to open.  Harry let go and stepped back.  The doors began to spin.

“Brilliant, can this place get any better,” Ron grumbled.

“Harry, open another door, but don’t let go until I say so,” Hermione instructed.

Harry nodded in confirmation, but said nothing.  He took hold of the right hand door this time.  The door opened into a room full of green light.  Harry looked over his shoulder before stepping through.  Ron and Hermione followed him after Hermione marked the door with two blue lines.

The room was strange.  In one corner stood an oversized hourglass.  On the top was a hatching chick grew into an adult bird.  When all the sand reached the bottom the bird died, only for the process to start over again.  There were shelves and shelves of Time-Turners.

“This isn’t it,” Harry said pulling his eyes away from the cycling bird.

The other two teens followed Harry back out of the room.  The doors spun as soon as the one they exited clicked shut.  When the doors stopped this time Ron opened the one straight in front of him.  The room before him was dark.  Gathering his courage the redhead stepped forward, his friends right behind him.

The room light up as they crossed the threshold.  They were at the top of a pit.  At the base stood a stone arch.  A curtain hung from it.  It fluttered gently as if in a breeze.

“Do you hear that,” Harry asked his companions.

“Hear what?” Ron asked befuddled.

“Voices,” Harry said walking closer to the edge.  “It’s like they’re on the other side of the curtain.”

“Harry,” Hermione urged. “There are not voices.  Come on, we need to find your dad and Sirius.”

The mention of the wizards broke the spell the arch had on Harry.  He turned back towards the way they came.  He couldn’t help but give the arch one last curious glance.

Hermione marked the door with three lines before it shut behind them.  The doors spun once more.  Harry grabbed the handle of the door beside him without a mark.

This room too was dark, but Harry could make out the high shelves.  It was the right room!  He didn’t wait for his friends to follow this time.  He had to get to Sirius.  He needed to help his dad.  He ran for all his worth only slowing enough to read the numbers on the ends of the aisles.  He made a sharp turn at aisle 15.  Sirius should be just down this way, but he wasn’t.

Instead of Sirius sitting bound and tortured sat Severus.

Harry nearly called out, but stopped at the sharp look received from his father.  Father and son’s eyes met, “LEAVE NOW!  FORGET THE PROPHECY!  GO HARRY!  NOW!” Severus screamed in Harry’s mind.

His dad had never told him they could communicate with Legimancy. Harry looked at his father once more and gave the man a sharp shake of his head. 

“The Dark Lord will be most pleased to know his trap worked so well,” Lucius Malfoy said stepping into the aisle.

“What are you doing here?” Harry demanded.

“Now Severus, you should have made sure your boy had better manners.  That’s no way to address you betters Potter, or should I say Snape?” Lucius drawled.

Harry’s face paled at the comment.  If Voldemort told his followers about Harry’s paternity what else had they told them?  Did Voldemort know about Severus’ spying?

Severus struggled against his bindings at the comment.  Harry was grounded for the next century if they ever made it out of here.  How could boy so stupid?  He’d made it clear the teens were not supposed to come after him or Black under any circumstance.  He couldn’t wait to scold the boy for his idiocy.  The boy would have perfect technique preparing every ingredient Severus could think of by the time he finished his punishment for this stunt, the little idiot.

“Why are you here?” Harry demanded again.

“Are you that stupid Potter?”  Lucius asked in response.  “I am here to collect the prophecy for the Dark Lord.”

“Then take it,” Harry ordered.

“Obviously the boy inherited his dim wits from his Mudblood mother,” Lucius directed toward Severus. 

Severus nearly his bonds in half at the comment.  How dare Malfoy insult his Lily like that?

“What do they teach you at that school?  I can’t simply take the prophecy, Potter.  Only those it refers t may touch the orbs.  Clearly the Dark Lord cannot collect it himself, so you will do it for him.  That is if you ever wish see your father alive again.” Lucius sneered.

Harry looked from Lucius to his father and back again.  Harry bit his lip uncertainly.  His emerald eyes found Severus’ onyx.  “LEAVE ME!” Severus commanded again.

“No,” Harry’s inner voice squeaked.  Severus could feel the boy’s concern, fear, and most unexpectedly, love.  He never thought the boy had grown to care for him so deeply. 

“I’m not losing you too, Dad,” Harry’s voice told him.  He was more confident this time.

Severus cursed the boy’s stubbornness.  “You and I will talk about your inability to follow instructions when e return to the castle,” Severus’ voice told the boy.

Harry shrugged in acknowledgement.

While Malfoy focused on the exchange between father and son he failed to notice the actions of the other two teens.  Hermione had crept closer to the professor, close enough to cut the restraints on the professor’s wrists.  Meanwhile Ron had Body-Bound the two Death Eaters closest to him.

With his hands free Severus picked up one of the discarded wands.  Harry’s eyebrows shot up at his father’s actions.  He hadn’t realized Hermione had managed to free him either.  Severus cast a nonverbal spell cutting through the rest of his bindings.

Harry took the opportunity to distract Malfoy by approaching the shelves.  He cast his eyes over the many orbs.  Finally about halfway down the shelf almost at eyelevel Harry saw it.  A small label read: By S.B.T., To: A.B.W.D., About: LV and ? (Harry Potter).  This little ball of glass is what had set every event in his life in motion.  If it weren’t for this he never would have had to live with the Dursleys, he would have been normal.

Harry was tempted to smash it just for that reason.  Harry put out his had to take it.

“No,” a soft voice hissed in his ear.  “Leave it.  If you do not remove it the Dark Lord can never know what it contains.” Severus advised his son.

Harry looked back to the aisle Malfoy lay in a crumpled pile a few feet away.

“How -” Harry tried to ask.

“Not now,” Severus said.  “We need to move now.  They will wake in a few minutes.  Come now!” Severus ordered.

Harry and his friends ran after Severus.  They were almost to the door when the first curse was first at them.

Severus turned back letting the three teens pass him.  When Harry stopped Severus glared at him.  “Go Potter!  You are in enough trouble as it is.”

Harry shot his dad a grin before casting a Reduction Hex at one of the many shelves.  The room was filled with the sound of shattering glass and the voices of thousands of Seers.

The four got out into the circular room of doors as their precursor dodged the falling orbs.  Severus shut the doors behind them.  He canceled Hermione’s markers too as the doors spun around them.  When they stopped Severus pulled the door second to his left open.  Harry was impressed to see the door which lead to the corridor in front of them.

Harry was certain if it were left to him they would have gone through every room before they got back here, with Death Eaters hot on their heels the entire time.

Severus urged the teens into the corridor before him.  Once they were all out and Severus behind them Severus shut the door.  He set the door on fire with purple flames.

“That should slow them,” Severus said almost proudly.  “To the lifts,” he commanded the teens.

The young people willingly complied running down the hall. Harry slowed his pace to run by his father’s side.  Severus shook his head at his son’s antics.  He really needed to have a long talk about the boy’s lack of concern with own safety.  The boy’s sense of self-preservation was severely lacking.  The four entered the first lift available, jabbing the button for the Atrium vigorously.

“You three are to go to the fireplaces at the first opportunity.  You are to go straight back to Hogwarts.  This is no place for children.”  Severus told them.

“We’re not children,” Harry almost whined.

“You are underage Potter.  You are a child.”  With that Severus pulled Harry tightly to his chest.  Harry’s arms found their way to Severus’ waist after a stunned moment. “More importantly, you are my child.  I will not see you put your life in any more pointless harm tonight.”  Severus corrected sternly.  “Am I understood?”

Harry nodded embarrassed into his father’s chest. The embrace only ending as the lift came to a halt.

The sight that greeted them was rather unexpected.  Sirius was in the midst of a duel with his cousin Bellatrix LeStrange.  Arthur Weasley was fighting Radolpho LeStrange, and Tonk was fighting Avery.  Remus Lupin stood above the dead body of Peter Pettigrew.  A smug smile adorned the werewolf’s face, but there was at least a note of sadness there too.  There were several other duels as well but they were too far away to tell who they were.

The room was filled with multi-colored lights and sounds from the many duels.

Severus raised the borrowed wand ready for action as he escorted the teens out of harm’s way.  They heard Sirius let out a bark of laughter as he dodged a Killing Curse.  He fell silent a moment later as he tripped backward on the fountain’s ledge falling into the pool at its base.

“Sirius,” Harry yelled running forward.

“I killed Sirius Black! I killed Sirius Black!” Bellatrix sang, dancing oblivious to the mayhem happening around her. 

“Harry!” Severus called charging after his son, leaving the other two teens to fend for themselves.

Snape,” Bellatrix hissed as the wizard came running after Harry.

Harry didn’t know what spell she used, but one moment his father was fine, the next the man was bleeding to death of sword like wounds.  Harry let out a distressed cry.  He couldn’t lose his father, not now.

“Crucio,” Harry cried, hexing Bellatrix.

The woman let out a cry of pain as the curse took hold.  Harry only broke the spell when he collapsed in pain himself.

“My, my, what would dear Dumbledore say?  His precious Harry Potter casting an Unforgivable.  Not such a golden boy are we?  Poor Bella.”  Voldemort said surveying the situation.  Harry’s head felt like it would explode at any moment as the dark wizard approached him.

“Now, we can’t have that,” Voldemort said taking the boy’s wand from his hand.  “Do you know what you’ve put poor Bella through Harry Potter?  How would you like someone to do that to you? Crucio.”

Harry writhed in pain as the curse took effect.  He breathed deeply as Voldemort released him a moment later, only for it to start once again.  This time was even worse.  Harry was able to see the burst of flames that was Fawkes, even through the pain.

“Leave him be Tom,” Dumbledore asked patiently.

Harry gladly accepted the change of focus.  He watched amazed as the two wizards began to battle.  Harry turned to see his father not far from him.  The man was covered in blood.  Harry crawled toward the man with what little strength he had left.

“Fawkes,” Harry called weakly.

The phoenix heard him call none the less and flew over to the boy.

“Help him.” Harry begged the bird.  “Please Fawkes, I can’t lose him.”

The bird gave a piecing stare.  A tear appeared in the bird’s eye.  It dropped into one of Severus’ gaping wounds.  The wound began to close almost instantly.  Harry prayed it just wasn’t too late.

Harry lost all interest in the battle.  He just wanted to know his dad was going to be alright.  That was until his body was once again rocked with pain.

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you all enjoyed your early Christmas present.

Thanks for reading. Have a Happy Christmas!