Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry and Severus spend their first summer together at Spinner's End...
Epilogue: Afoot and Light-Hearted, I Take to the Open Road...

“Are you ready to go Harry?” Severus asked stepping into the doorway of his son’s room.

Harry slammed the lid of his trunk, “Think so.”

“Do you not wish to bring Mr. Whitman with us?” Severus asked pointing to the small paperback at the head of Harry’s bed.

“Oh right,” Harry said. He snatched the book up, sitting in the back pocket of his jeans, behind his wand.

Severus frowned. “We need to give you a proper wand holster. No Auror should store their wands in their back pocket.”

“Yeah Mooney got on my case about that too.” Harry said making no move to move his wand. “Are we Flooing to your house?”

Severus shook his head. “The house is not connected to the network. Something we may have to change in the future. We will Apparate from the village.”

“Okay,” Harry agreed.

“Whenever you’re ready, Mr. Potter.” Severus said stepping back.

Harry hefted his trunk off the floor. Severus led the way out of his quarters making sure the door didn’t close on Harry. They were halfway down the hall when Harry stopped, setting down his trunk. Severus waited for his son, watching.

“Want to help me out?” Harry asked breathlessly.

“No, but I will make your job easier.” Severus said waving his wand.

Harry frowned, but picked up his trunk once more. It was light as a feather. “Thanks,” Harry said. “Why didn’t I ever think of that.”

“Because the only spell you seem confident in, is your ability to disarm people.” Severus jibed.

“Oi,” Harry objected, “I’ve got a pretty good Petronus too.”

Severus snorted amused,“Shall we proceed?”

Harry nodded continuing on their walk out of the school. The summer was going to be very different than those that had come before it. He couldn’t say he was going home, Hogwarts was and always would be his home. Harry shook his head, no it would always be his first home, Harry corrected. At least, that’s what he hoped to be the case.

“What are you thinking about Harry?” Severus asked.

“Nothing,” Harry said with a shake of his head.

Severus quirked an eyebrow at the boy’s reaction, but did not press the issue. He would let Harry set the pace. Even as the relationship had improved greatly over the last few months there was much still they had to learn about one another. He did not want Harry to feel pressured about anything.

The walk up the grounds was made in silence. It was not an awkward silence, however. Severus became more anxious as they approached the gates.

“Dad?” Harry asked.

“Harry?” Severus said turning to his son.

“Is something wrong?” Harry asked.

Severus frowned. “Why do you ask?”

Harry made it best attempt at a shrug, the movement hampered by the trunk he still carried. “You’ve gone all quiet.”

Severus’ frown only deepened. Lily had complained of him doing that too. Using the very same phrasing, in fact. Strange held up boy could remind him of something like that. He didn’t even realize he remembered such a comment being made.

“Dad,” Harry repeated.

“I apologize. I was lost in thought.” Severus said.

“What were you thinking about?” Harry asked hopefully.

“The house and then your mother. Your comment about me ‘going all quiet’ stirred a memory of your mother. She made a similar comment at one point.” Severus explained.

“Oh,” Harry muttered.

“You did nothing wrong,” Severus reassured. “Harry, I must warn you. Spinner’s End… The home I grew up in is very different place than you did.”

“Great,” Harry said legitimately happy.

Severus was surprised by Harry’s reaction. Of course the boy didn’t truly understand what he was saying. He had never seen Spinner’s End.

“Dad, don’t worry about it. I’m not worried. Anything will be better than going back to the Dursleys.” Harry reassured.

Severus did not look any more reassured. The pair stopped not far past the gates. Severus removed his wand once more. He shrunk the boy’s trunk so it was no larger than a matchbox. He did the same with the owl cage that had been balanced on top. Hedwig had been told to meet them in Spinner’s End.

“You couldn’t have done that before we walked all this way?” Harry asked.

Severus smirked. “You could have asked.”

Harry glared.

“Perhaps you should learn to ask for help, Harry. The questions you ask will also affect the answers you receive.” Severus told him.

“Right,” Harry agreed. “You plan on doing that sort of thing all summer?”

“No, Mr. Potter,” Severus said with a smirk. “I plan on doing this the rest of your life.”

Harry sighed pocketing the trunk and owl cage. Severus held out his arm.

“You need to hold onto my arm firmly while we Apparate. Just concentrate on holding onto me and you will be fine.” Severus told his son.

Harry did as instructed. Severus turned on his heel and a moment after a very unpleasant experience of what felt like being sucked through a straw, the pair reemerged in the countryside. Harry watched as a fox started back into the woods. Harry looked around, his dad was right. This place was very different from Private Drive. The stream was a bit gross, but there were worse things he supposed. The houses here were a bit rundown, grimy. Honestly, it was much better than Privet Drive. There was character to these buildings.

“Follow me,” Severus said, walking up the hill.

“Is this where you and mum grew up?” Harry asked running to catch up with his father’s long strides.

“Not exactly,” Severus said. “Your mother grew up a bit closer to the village. Her neighborhood was much nicer.”

“Oh,” Harry said uncertainly.

“We can visit that part of the village later, not today,” Severus said. “Harry, the house is in a… Bit of the state. It goes  uninhabited for…”

“Dad,” Harry cut off. “You told me already. I really don’t care. You are not going to beat the magic out of me or try and starve me. I’m really better off. If the paints the bit worse for the wear… We can work on it.”

Severus gave in another uncertain nod. The pair crossed small footbridge to a more rundown neighborhood.

“Welcome to Spinner’s End,” Severus grumbled.

Harry now had a better understanding exactly what his father meant. Still he was happier here than the neat trim houses of Little Whinging. Severus stopped outside of his third house on the street.

Severus flipped key into the door, and threw open the front door. Severus let Harry stepped into the dark entry Hall. With a wave of Severus’ hand candles all around the room came to life.

Harry’s jaw dropped at the sight of all the books. He was certain Hermione would die from excitement to see half of them. Every wall in the sitting room was lined with bookcases. And Harry had thought that his dad’s rooms at Hogwarts had a lot of books.

“Your bedroom is upstairs,” Severus said revealing a staircase behind yet another bookcase.

Harry followed his father up the stairs. He noted the walls here to use it fresh coat of paint or two. Severus opens the door at the end of the Hall. Harry looked in.

This room was roughly the same size as the one Harry inhabited at Hogwarts. There was a single bed in one corner, a desk located under the window, and bookshelves and dresser on the remaining wall. The walls were faded cream. Definitely could use a new coat of paint here as well. Harry crossed the room to sit on the bed.

“We’ll get you a new one in the next couple of days,” Severus promised.

Harry nodded. He would hold his dad to that one. The mattress was old and lumpy. It reminded Harry of his old bed in his cupboard.

“This used to be my room,” Severus supplied.

Harry gave another nod.

“You’ll be allowed to decorate however you wish. Do not feel that you must keep anything. I have no strong attachment to anything in here.” Severus told him.

“Was it always…” Harry began to ask.

“Yes,” Severus said casting an eye around the room. “We will work together on making this place –“

“A home,” Harry supplied.

Severus gave a satisfied nod. “A home, indeed. I will leave you to unpack. We will be going out for dinner. We’ll pick up the other necessities at that time.”

Severus turned to leave.

“Dad,” Harry called.

“Harry,” Severus said turning back to his son.

“You need… Could you restore my trunk and Hedwig’s cage?” Harry asked.

“Of course Harry,” Severus said removing his wand.

Harry placed both in the center of the room. With a lazy wave of Severus’s want both were restored to their proper size.

“My room is at the opposite end of the Hall. I will be downstairs if you need me. If not, I will come to collect you for dinner.” Severus said before leaving.

Harry looked around the room. He pulled open the windows to relieve some of the stuffiness of the room. He flipped open his trunk. First his textbooks went on to the desk. His robes were hung in the wardrobe. The rest of the Muggle clothing placed in the dresser.

Harry found a Gryffindor pendant near the bottom of his trunk. He wondered how long it had been in their. He pulled it out. Harry crossed the room looking for something to tack it up with, he found alone thumbtack. Harry hopped on the bed placing a pendant above the headboard.

“Glad to see you’re making yourself at home,” Severus said behind him.

Harry let out a squawker surprise. He turned to his dad. “It’s okay isn’t it?” Harry asked uncertainly.

“Harry, I said you are free to decorate as you see fit. If you desire to paint your room in red and gold, you’ll be allowed to. Although, I must say I’m much happier with just a pendant.” Severus said, amusement clear in his voice.” Now, let’s go to dinner.”

Harry got off the bed. “Where are we going?”

“The pub, it is the only place that has food that’s edible.” Severus said.

Harry followed his father out of the house and much of the way they had walked hours earlier. He turned at an abandoned in play park.

“This is where I met your mother by the way.” Severus said crossing the park.

Harry looked at the broken swing set. “Here?”

“Don’t sound so surprised, Harry. It was not always in such a state. Your mother and aunt were on the swings when I first saw them. Your mother jumped from the peak of her swing. She floated to the ground like a leaf on the wind. I knew then she was a witch.” Severus said an air of amusement in his voice.

“What did you do?” Harry asked.

“I ran out and yelled at your mother that she was a witch. She did not take the news as I would have liked. No, she was rather offended. It was several weeks before she was willing to speak to me again. This is when your mother and your aunt started to drift apart.” Severus explained.

“Drift apart? They were close? Aunt Petunia never talked about Mum.” Harry replied.

“Your aunt resented your mother’s talent. Her jealousy poisoned their relationship.” Severus told him.

“Oh,” a stunned Harry muttered.

The two arrived at the above. Severus set Harry to sit at a booth in the back. He returned a moment later with a pint of stout in one hand, a soda for Harry in the other.

Severus ordered them both fish and chips with mushy peas, when the waitress came. They talked about how Harry might wish to redecorate his room. The boy had been evasive. He had no real idea what he could get for bedrooms. Harry did confirm that he needed and wanted to repaint the room. He did not know what color though.

Severus relieved Harry’s nerves with a gentle reminder that Harry should feel free to change the room how he wished to make it his own. Severus added that Harry’s renovation project could be counted as part of his punishment efforts.

Harry pouted slightly, reminded of his sentence. Severus promised that he would never force Harry to work in the same conditions as the Dursleys. He would never be denied food or water after such a day either.

When Harry asked about the rest of the house Severus agreed to give him a proper tour. He even apologized for his lack of forethought doing it on their arrival. Severus had simply figured Harry would like some time alone to adjust to his new surroundings. Severus added, that if Harry desired they could make changes there as well. The only stipulation it be done without the aid of magic. Again, Harry was supposed to be working off his debt.

As they ate several people said “Hello” to Severus much to Harry’s surprise. Severus explained the men had been drinking buddies of Tobias.

After dinner, the two of them went on to the grocery store. Severus had Harry carry the basket as he collected enough food for the week. From there, they made their way home.

Severus showed Harry around the house after they put the groceries away. Harry noted how empty the covers were. Severus explained that he never kept much in them as he was away much of the year, but that could be easily fixed. Severus also made sure to tell Harry that he should never feel as if he needed to sneak food. If he was hungry, he should go get something to eat, even if he was in the middle of a project. Harry wondered if the comment was targeted more to his father than himself.

They returned to the dining room after the tour. Here Severus laid out a detailed schedule of Harry’s days for the summer. Harry was a bit surprised by this. Severus explained it was for both their benefits. It would make sure Harry had got enough sleep, food, and time to work on his summer assignments, and in turn prepare for his O. W. L. s. Harry questioned how it was supposed to be to his father’s benefit. With a smirk, Severus told him it would save the aggravation of his time being wasted by the rubbish Harry normally turned in.

The first week was filled with fits and starts. Severus and Harry spent several days out of the house running various errands and acquiring necessities for the house. One of the first things change was Harry’s bedroom.

Out at once was the rickety, beaten down bed frame. The old wardrobe and chest of drawers were replaced with a simple, but elegant oak set. Harry also added a night table to go with it since he needed a place to put his glasses. Harry liked his father’s desk and the many slots and drawers it had. He changed the chair though, he was too short for the one Severus had.

They also spent a good deal of time on another day replacing Harry’s wardrobe. Severus complained about seeing his son dressed up like a vagrant. Harry had complained the entire time. At first, the teen had just tried picking things at random, to get it over with. Severus in turn, made Harry try everything on, to ensure it fit appropriately. Harry slowed his pace slightly after that, putting slightly more thought into his selections and weighing the worst of the wasted effort of trying on something he had no chance of liking.

After the first week, things settled a bit more into a routine. Harry would get up at 8 AM. Severus would have breakfast prepared for both of them. After breakfast, Harry worked on his summer assignments and kept busy preparing for his O. W. L. s until 11 AM, when he would join Severus in the lab preparing ingredients. After lunch which the two of them worked on together, Harry would lead them in the restoration project of the day. They would work on this together until dinner time. Dinner was taken in turns, as who prepared it. Severus was mildly surprised at how good a cook Harry was, but then was reminded how his son had come to talent and was enraged once more.

After dinner Harry was free to do as he pleased. Some nights this meant a game of chess with his father. Other nights he would telephone Hermione or visit Ron as the house was now connected to the Floo Network.

The weekend things were a little less regimented. Harry was allowed to  sleep in until 10 AM and was given a break from his standard schedule. Most weekends this meant a visit to the Burrow or Sirius. Sirius may still be Harry’s Godfather, but he and Severus’ relationship was still touchy, at best. Instead, of him coming to see Harry, Harry would Floo over, always returning home before dark.

The week of Harry’s birthday, Severus agreed to let Harry and his friends sleep over, despite his original pronouncement. It was strange for Harry to watch his father interact with his friends in this informal setting. Severus and Hermione had gotten into a spirited discussion of house elf rights. Severus had given a rather passionate defense of a wizards rights to keep and use house elves as they saw fit. Hermione was appalled and fought back tooth and nail. It was only after Hermione had cooled down, that Harry informed his friend that Severus was baiting her. Harry had recognized the calculated glint in his father’s eyes. Hermione was speechless at this. Severus even congratulated Hermione on her well-thought-out arguments and ability to recall detail (though a bit less gently phrased).

Severus and Ron played chest every night he was over. Severus was amazed by the boy’s talents and only managed to win one game. That had only been by the skin of his teeth.

Having spent time with Harry’s friends, Severus grew to understand why his son counted on them so. Severus was certain, if it was not for Hermione his son and Weasley would have been killed multiple times by now. Severus also appreciated Weasley’s loyalty, though it was not without its faults. Ron had always been there when Harry was truly in need of him.

At the end of the week all three of the trio sat there O. W. L. s. Severus was certain given the extra time and tutelage Harry Harry would come out with respectable marks, most likely even good enough to pursue his goal of becoming an Auror without the special leeway granted by the Ministry.

Before they knew it, summer was coming to an end. The house and been completely transformed over the six weeks. Every room of the house had fresh coats of paint. There was new furniture replacing the ratty couch is that was in the living room when Harry arrived. The kitchen gleamed it in a way it had possibly never done before.

The house was not the only thing that was transformed. Harry and Severus’ relationship had changed. The two had grown closer over the course of the summer. The hours spent working and playing together away from the prying eyes of the wizarding world they had moved, or at least started to move past misconceptions they didn’t even realize they had.

Harry looked around his room making sure he had everything he needed.

“Are you prepared to leave tomorrow?” Severus asked standing in the doorway once more.

“Yeah,” Harry said flopping down on his bed, looking at the freshly done paint. Harry had chosen a warm yellow for his walls. He had heard quite a  number of jokes from his father about being mis-sorted into Gryffindor. Clearly he was meant to be a Hufflepuff. Harry shocked his father was a retort about how he had chosen to not be in Slytherin. That had put an end to the jokes… for a few days.

“It’s going to be weird going back,” Harry commented.

“How was that?” Severus asked sitting at Harry’s desk.

“When I was at the Dursleys, I was always counting the days until I got to go back home to Hogwarts. I don’t have to do that now. I have a home here,” Harry supplied.

“Even with all the chores and frogs you’ve been required to get the summer?” Severus inquired.

“Yeah,” Harry agreed with a dismissive shrug. “I’m still better off here and then at the Dursleys. And then I don’t have to worry about Voldemort either. I’ll have a completely normal school year.”

“Yes, that will be a nice change of pace. I will enjoy the ability to go to sleep at night and not have to worry if you and your little friends are out wrestling trolls, facing a Basilisk, confronting escaped convicts, etc.” Severus admitted.

“Saying it like that makes it sound boring,” complained Harry.

“I am sure you’ll find something to entertain yourself. You might even bother to sit and do your homework before the last moment before it’s due.” Joked Severus.

“Nah,” Harry disagreed. “There’s still Quidditch.”

“Yes Quidditch. Let us not forget Quidditch. There must be away for me to worry about you losing your life.” Severus agreed.

“Are you ready to go back?” Harry asked.

“As ever I will be. I will be glad when you finish and I can retire guilt free.” Severus commented.

“You really can leave Hogwarts?” Harry asked.

“I am. Do you really believe I would continue on after you left?” Severus asked.

Harry shook his head. “But I don’t ever really want to leave Hogwarts.”

“Harry, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home. And you will always have a home here,” Severus promised.

Grinning Harry said,” Thanks Dad.”

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Title taken from the first line of the Whitman poem, "Song of the Open Road".

I hope you have all enjoyed the long and sometimes bumpy our two favorite boys have been on.

Thank you to my beta Pan for seeing this through with me. THANK YOU for spending your time with my little story.