Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Now with Snape. (Updated 9/20/13)
Birth of the DA

Present

“Umbridge refused to let us use magic in class. Not being able to practice the magic we are supposed to be able to perform until our actual O.W.L.s was not something my year wanted to hear. My friends, Ron and Hermione, talked me into maybe creating a group where we could practice D.A.D.A. stuff. They had argued that they could learn from somebody who knew what it was like to do this stuff for real.”

“I didn’t think that anybody would want to learn from me. I was supposed to be a crazy and a liar. But Hermione organized an interest meeting anyways.  We got a fairly good turnout. There were a couple of students that were… less enthusiastic about the idea of me teaching them, even less so about signing up to be a part. One girl learned that she either shouldn’t have signed the paper or talked about it. Without my knowledge Hermione had placed a hex on the paper where everybody signed up, so if you told, the word “snitch” would show up on your forehead in pimples.”

“The one bad thing about this was where we decided to hold this meeting. We chose to meet at the Hog’s Head instead of the Three Broomsticks. We thought that since it wasn’t the normal place for students to hang out we wouldn’t be over heard. Good idea in theory, not so much in practice.”

“We didn’t expect Mundungus Fletcher to be there. He was there dressed as a heavily bandaged witch. After we left, Mundungus went straight to the Order. The members had different reactions depending on who they were. Mrs. Wealsey didn’t want her kids taking part because if you got caught you would be expelled from school. She also advised me and Hermione to not do it either.”

“Of course, we ignored that advice. But we still needed a place to meet. We asked my godfather, Sirius Black. He didn’t have any places that we could use unfortunately. We did eventually find one, with a little help of one of the house elves, Dobby.”

“Dobby showed us the ‘Comes and Go Room’. It is also known as the Room of Requirements. It will provide the user with whatever you require. It gave us the space we needed, books, pillows, anything you could possibly need to practice defense safely.”

“Mrs. Wealsey wasn’t the only one who gave us advice as what to do.  My godfather said that we should do it. Remus, a good friend of Sirius and my step-dad, James went to Dad as soon as he found out about this defense group. Sirius told Remus about Snape being my dad. Remus listened and immediately put the information to use. He figured since my Dad was at school he could either talk me out of doing the group, or provide assistance. ”

“Dad didn’t do anything, at least that we knew of at the time. We would find out later that he did help us out a little bit. He didn’t give Umbridge real Veritisrum when she wanted to question me, he also informed the Order as soon as he could about what I had seen in the Department of the Mysteries,” Harry waved his hand dismissively, “but I’m getting ahead of myself.”

Severus listened to his son’s recounting of the events of his little resistance group with great interest.  Harry had never told him exactly why it was formed or his own skepticism of the group’s success.  In truth, Severus knew very little of the group until Umbridge succeeded in breaking down the Ravenclaw girl affiliated with the group.  Harry was reluctant to speak of it, for reasons Severus was uncertain.  

Severus considered asking about this opposition at some point that would obviously have to wait.  The pair still had much to learn about one another.  Harry’s feeling about the way the press treated him, for example.

Severus knew the attacks hurt the boy, but was unaware of the extent.  Severus knew how difficult it could be to have one’s name dragged through the mud, but he was older when it happened, and was justly accused.  There was no way Severus could truly understand what his son been through the last few years.

As Harry described his actions to thwart Umbridge’s ever increasingly totalitarian rule of the school Severus thought back on his and actions of his fellow staff members.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

October 1995

“It seems Potter is following his father’s footsteps,” Severus said by way of greeting as Minerva McGonagall sat for the weekly Heads of House meeting following the first Hogsmead weekend.

“Yes, well, at least Harry has a good reason for his rebellion.  James broke rules for the thrill of it.  Young Harry does it to ensure his friends are prepared for the dangers that are headed our way.  It is a very noble cause.”  Minerva said.

Severus gave a snort in disbelief.

“Believe what you like Severus.  Harry’s intentions will become clear soon enough,” Minerva said brusquely.

“How are your snakes taking to the High Inquisitor’s changes?” Minerva asked after a moment.

“They are faring rather well.  A number volunteered their services to aid Madam Umbridge in her routing our any rule breaking.” Severus said.

“Indeed,” Minerva agreed.  “I could not see Mr. Malfoy surpassing a chance to exercise his authority.”

Severus frowned at the critique of his student, no matter how fair it might be.  Before he had a chance to respond however, Albus called the meeting to order.

The Heads of House kept a close eye on Umbridge and Harry’s efforts over the next several months; running interference whenever possible, or necessary.  Severus’s role in the operation was perhaps the most delicate.

Despite his troubled past with the Ministry of Magic, Umbridge seemed heart set on gaining Severus’s favor.  The matter troubled him for several weeks until the witch made clear her desire to use Veritisrum on students if membership of any seditious groups were not discovered quickly.

Severus was not in a position to refuse the witch if he wished to retain his cover as spy, but as a teacher … and as a father; he could not morally justify the use of such potions on minors.  These potions could cause lifelong affects in developing minds if administered inappropriately.  He would not put it past Umbridge to poison Harry, or any other student for that matter if she believed they had information she desired.  He could not do this, regardless of parental consent, which they also lacked.  

Along with dealing with the ever increasing attentions of Dolores Umbridge, he had the welfare of his snakes to look out for.  The increased authority his students took on put them in path of more and more harassment from the students of the other houses.  He had to write to three sets of parents already informing their child was attacked by schoolmates.  Meanwhile he had to try and sabotage any efforts his students made in infiltrating Harry’s group.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Present

Harry took a calming breath, before continuing his story. “My plate was so full this year. I was so busy I didn’t have time to think about my relationship with Snape, or how he wasn’t giving me detention all of the time. I probably thought at the time it was because of how many I was serving with Umbridge. That wasn’t the case of course, but I barely had time to tie my shoes let alone think on why my evil Potion Master was doing anything.”

“With the creation of this defense group, that later came to be called Dumbledore’s Army, my life became even more hectic. I already had a full schedule. I was in my fifth year. I was trying to get ready for my O.W.L.s, get all of my homework done. I was on the Quidditch team. Then there were all of the detentions I was serving because I refused to go along with all of those stupid Decrees, or refuse to back down about Voldemort being back, much to Professor McGonagall’s chagrin.”

“The DA added a whole other level of stuff to my life. We had to try and keep the meeting secret. Finding a place to hold them was difficult enough. When it came to holding the meetings I had to try and make sure they didn’t conflict with not one, but three different Houses’ Quidditch teams’ practices.  We worked a system out in the end, but it was difficult. In a way, getting kicked off the team did me a lot of favors.”

Harry waited a moment for the room to quiet down after his last statement. The Slytherins had let out a series of boos. They didn’t want to think that Umbridge could possibly had done Harry Potter a favor. In contrast, the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs let out a shocked gasp. His own House was too confused to figure out just how to respond to that last comment, their star Seeker happy not to play Quidditch?

Harry put up his hand to motion for quiet. After another moment or so they were silent once again.

“Don’t get me wrong. I love playing Quidditch, I really do.” Harry explained. “It just was all too much. Quidditch was also the only thing I really had the option of quitting. With Umbridge’s ban the decision was made for me.” His face splitting into a wide grin Harry added, “You’ll be glad to know that since Umbridge is gone, I’ll be back on the team next year.”

The Gryffindors let out an ecstatic cheer, while the rest of the Houses released a collective groan.

“Now as horrible of a start of a year that might be, it wasn’t so far out of the norm for me.  I’ve faced either Voldemort or one of his followers, if not both every year that I’ve attended Hogwarts and nearly died every time.” Harry let out an uncomfortable chuckle, “Really, things could have been worse. Everything started to shift at Christmas break, some things for the better, others for the worse.”

“Dad and I both knew the truth of our relationship before Christmas holidays thanks to the letter. What we didn’t know was that the other knew as well, hence why we were happy to keep the status quo, at least for the most part. However, that all changed after Mr. Wealsey was attacked outside the Department of Mysteries.”

Harry cringed as the memories of that night came back to him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

December 1995

Harry’s dreams kept shifting, first of Cho, then of Umbridge and Dobby, then it changed again.

His body felt smooth, powerful, and flexible. He was gliding between shining metal bars, across dark, cold stone… He was flat against the floor, sliding along on his belly…. It was dark, yet he could see objects around him shimmering in strange, vibrant colors.

… He was turning his head… At first glance, the corridor was empty … but no…a man was sitting on the floor ahead, his chin drooping onto his chest, his outline gleaming in the dark…

Harry put out his tongue… He tasted the man’s scent on the air… He was alive but drowsing… sitting in front of a door at the end of the corridor…

Harry longed to bite the man…but he must master the impulse.

… He had more important work to do…

But the man was stirring… a slivery cloak fell from his legs as he jumped to his feet; and Harry was his vibrant, blurred outline towering above him, saw a wand withdrew from a belt… He had no choice … He reared high from the floor and struck once, twice, three times, plunging his fangs deeply into the man’s flesh, feeling his ribs splinter beneath his jaw, feeling the warm gush of blood…

The man was yelling in pain…There was a sharp pain…Then he everything went black.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Present

“I woke up covered in an icy sweat. During my nightmare I had woken up most my dorm mates. One of them had gone to get Professor McGonagall. I told Ron and Professor McGonagall was when she got there that I had witnessed an attack on Mr. Weasley.” Harry paused for several moments, he needed to explain how he had seen what he had, but that was would be a…difficult task.

“The Professor believed me about the attack and took Ron and I to see the Headmaster. Dumbledore asked me about what I saw, so I told him.  He sent the portraits to work as quickly as possible. We were lucky in two ways. If we had wanted a few moments longer, Mr. Weasley wouldn’t have made it. But he had also killed the snake that had attacked him.  This may not sound like a big deal, but if he hadn’t of done it than, somebody else would have had to later in order to kill Voldemort. The snake was a Horcrux. I promise I’ll explain that, just not right now.” Harry said taking a deep breath before continuing.

“Anyway, Professor McGonagall got the rest of the Weasley kids while Professor Dumbledore arranged for us to leave the school and stay at my godfather‘s house in London. It wasn’t until morning that we found out Mr. Weasley was going to be okay.”

Severus remembered his own reaction to the attack on Arthur Weasley.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

December 1995

Severus was tried.  Between his duties as Head of House, professor, member of the Order of Phoenix, and spy he was ready to quit life and move to a place where nobody had ever heard of Voldemort or Harry Potter.  Then Harry witnessed the attack on Arthur Weasley.

Severus knocked on the door to the Headmaster’s office.  He was surprised to receive the summons.  The majority of the students had gone home for the holidays and Severus had already submitted his lesson plans for the next month.

“Enter,” Dumbledore’s kindly voice said from behind the door.

“Ah, Severus,” Albus greeted warmly.  The man gestured for Severus to have a seat.

Severus sat in one of the hard wooden chairs across from the Headmaster’s desk.

“As you may be aware, Severus, Arthur Weasley was attacked a few nights ago while on guard duty for the Order.”

Severus nodded.  

“What you may not be aware of, is we learned of the attack from Mr. Potter,” Albus said.  “It seems Harry saw the attack as if he were present, through Nagini’s eyes.  This is not the first time this sort of thing occurred.  It appears Harry has a sort of mental connection with Voldemort.  For this reason, I would like you to teach the boy Occlumency.”

“No,” Severus replied instantly.

“Severus,” Albus said taken aback.  “If Harry does not learn to block Voldemort from his mind he will only put himself at more risk.”

“And what about my safety, Albus?  You desire for me to open my mind to an undisciplined, spoiled brat.  What is to stop him from revealing my loyalties?” Severus demanded.

“You are being unfair Severus.  You are letting a set of false prejudices taint your view of the boy.  How can Harry be a carbon copy of James when he is your son?  Other professors find him to be bright and humble.  Perhaps spending time with the boy will allow you to move past these ill-conceived notions.” Albus said.

“No,” Severus said again.  “If boy must learn Occlumency, why do you not instruct him yourself?”

“Alas, I fear I will not be at Hogwarts much longer.  The winds are increasingly blowing in Madam Umbridge’s favor.  We cannot afford to have Harry lose his instructor.”  Albus said sadly.  “Furthermore, I believe it is what Lily would want.  I doubt she would care to see her son in such a cantankerous relationship with his father.”

That was all the man had to say to break Severus’s resolve.  “Damn you old man.”  With that Severus agreed to take on the lesson which disproved everything he thought he knew about his son up to that point.