Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Avoiding Conflicts

Both Harry and Severus spent hours alone after their disagreement. Harry had been unwilling to apologize to the potions master, especially after Snape had yelled at him like that. Severus was still outraged over Harry’s outburst and utter lack of respect. He felt like would explode if he even looked at the boy.

After sulking and contemplating for a long period of time, Harry decided that maybe he should just apologize to Snape. He had been out of line earlier, though it pained him to admit it to himself. And he was beginning to feel slightly lonely, especially after spending another miserable summer with only the Dursleys for company. Snape’s company was better than no company at all. Harry finally made up his mind, sighing out loud as he did so. He slowly forced himself up off the bed, trying not to gasp when he felt a sharp pain in his ribs. He took a few cautious steps forward, pausing at the door frame. He wasn’t sure where Snape was, but prayed that he was somewhere on the same floor as him. He didn’t know if his body, which was still quite sore, would be able to handle a walk down the stairs.

Harry didn’t know which room was Snape’s either, but was thankful that there were really only two options if he was on the same floor. The last thing he wanted was for Snape to see him wandering around the place and think he was snooping through his belongings. The bathroom was directly across the hall from his room and there were only two other rooms on that floor. One of those was Snape’s bedroom. Harry decided that it was most likely the room next to the bathroom, because he seriously doubted that the professor would have wanted to sleep in a room that was right next to Harry’s. He assumed that he was right when he saw a small amount of light emanating from that room.

Harry knocked on the door. “Can I come in, Professor?” he asked awkwardly.

Severus shifted on the bed slightly and glanced up from the book he was reading. “I suppose so, Potter,” he drawled.

“I just want to… apologize. I realize that I shouldn’t have yelled at you earlier. I’m sorry.”

“Indeed,” the potions master said in a flat voice.

“I’m just getting really frustrated. We’ve never got on, Professor, and after everything that’s happened I just want to keep busy and forget about it all. I don’t want to sit in a room for hours, staring at a wall and thinking about everything.”

“Potter, know that I will not tolerate such disrespect from you again. You’ve been let off easy this time, but in the future there will be consequences.” Snape said. Merlin, I’m going soft, Severus thought to himself. When have I ever let anyone get away with any type of infraction? It must be because I’m not teaching right now. Yes, being off work during term has interfered with my schedule, therefore interfering with my whole life….

Harry nodded in acceptance, hardly believing his good luck. He had to resist the urge to make a break for it before Snape changed his mind.

“Now, we have some matters to discuss. And it isn’t wise for you to stand for so long, in your present condition. Come and have a seat, Potter.” Snape said, indicating a chair that was close to the bed.

Harry was apprehensive, but walked over and seated himself on the chair. When Snape said he needed to discuss things with someone, it didn’t usually turn out too well for that person.

“This will not be a pleasant conversation, I’m afraid. However, I feel that your emotional state will become more… fragile if we put this conversation off for much longer.”

“You feel that my emotional state will become more fragile? I’m not fragile!” Harry shouted indignantly.

“Mr. Potter, did we not just talk about disrespect and consequences? Do not interrupt me again, or you will find out the type of consequences I have planned for you!” Snape all but barked at him.

Harry flinched slightly under the professor’s glare.

“We have argued enough for one day, I believe. Shall we continue our conversation?” Severus said, pausing for a moment to give the boy time to object. He didn’t. Severus began speaking again, this time with a slight amount of hesitation in his voice. “What occurred at your aunt and uncle’s, Potter-- how long had it been going on for?”

Harry frowned, still unhappy to be having a conversation regarding his relatives. In retrospect, he should have anticipated having this conversation numerous days ago. Snape had been forced to leave his job at Hogwarts temporarily to take care of Harry around the clock. Of course he wanted to know the details surrounding why he had been taken away from his job. Harry supposed that he owed the potions master an explanation, since this was his fault, after all.

Harry took a deep breath. “They’ve always treated me like an inconvenience. They rarely acknowledged my birthdays and I was often forgotten at Christmas. My uncle used to yell and blame me for things that I hadn’t done, but it didn’t get really bad until he lost his job and started drinking.”

Severus nodded, thoroughly displeased. “You understand, Potter, that all of is due to no fault of your own. Correct?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. The boy mumbled an affirmative answer. Severus was not at all convinced.

The potions master sighed uncomfortably. Why was he even having this discussion with the boy? Severus was not about to pour his heart out to Potter and disclose anything about his childhood. Perhaps the boy would appreciate it, knowing that Severus was not judging him for being abused and that he knew what it was like. But Severus had never been the sentimental type and rarely ever bothered with trying to relate to his students. Why start now, especially for Potter of all people? Severus was not willing to bring up old demons and was certain that doing such a thing had no benefits. Maybe it was time to change the subject.

“Have you been keeping up with your studies, Mr. Potter?”

Snape saw the boy’s eyes widened slightly. “It hadn’t really occurred to me, sir. I haven’t even got any of the required books for this year. See, I asked my uncle if he could take me to London but he… refused.”

Snape eyed the boy with suspicion, but did not question what the refusal had entailed. “Which other items do you require for the school year, other than the books?”

“I’ll need anything else that’s on the list, and would you be able to pick up some more owl treats for Hedwig? I can find the key to my vault and give it to you before you leave, sir.”

Severus was mildly surprised that the boy hadn’t been expecting him to pay for his school things, which he would have done anyway. Not that Severus wanted the boy to view him being willing to pay for his school supplies as an act of kindness, of course. “Mr. Potter, I do not require the key. Since you will not be accompanying me, I rather think that the goblins would give me a hard time if I attempted to gain access to your vault.”

“Professor, can’t I just come to Diagon Alley with you? Wouldn’t it be easier that way?” the boy asked, a little too eagerly.

“It would not do to have you wandering around Diagon Alley in your injured state. Even if you were disguised, the risk that one of the Dark Lord’s followers may discover you is too great.” Severus said. And it wouldn’t do to have him discovered having any type of contact with Potter outside of Hogwarts. He did have a reputation to uphold, not to mention how disastrous the results would be if he were discovered by Death Eaters doing anything other handing Potter over to the Dark Lord.

Harry nodded in acceptance, looking resigned. He had really enjoyed his first time at Diagon Alley and had jumped at the chance to go back. He felt slightly irritated that he was being deprived of a return trip before going back to Hogwarts, but decided against arguing with Snape again. His Professor had definitely surprised him when he had been much more forgiving than usual after their argument. Harry was fairly certain that Snape would be much less forgiving the next time.