Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This fic's main theme is a suicide attempt and does mention self-injury. Please do not read it if these themes offend you in any way.
Unforeseen Savior

No one will miss me. Everyone dies because of me; the world will be a better place without me, Harry thought bitterly to himself. Now would be the perfect time to do it. I’m, by myself and no one would think to look for me up here. I don’t think I can stand the pain anymore and soon, everyone will realize how much better off they are without me. With these thoughts in mind, Harry decided to do what he had gone up to the astronomy tower to do in the first place.

Picking up his bag and opening it, he carefully removed a razor blade. It was the very same one he had cut with a few times before, although those times were not suicide attempts. He had just been under a lot of stress and had used it as a coping method. Holding the blade in his right hand, he put it against his left wrist. Pressing down as hard as he could, he dragged the blade across his skin, leaving a long, deep cut near where his veins were. Harry’s lost thought before he drifted out of consciousness was a hopeful one, though: maybe now, he would finally get to see his parents and Sirius again.

It was half an hour past curfew and as usual, Severus Snape was prowling the corridors, looking for students out of bed. After catching two third-year Gryffindors out of bed and wandering around, he assigned them one month’s worth of detention. Severus set off toward his last stop, which was the astronomy tower.

As he made his way up the stairs a few minutes later, Severus thought he could make out the sound of someone breathing. Probably some fifth years having a snogging session again, Severus thought to himself with disdain. However, once he stepped into the room, he realized that he couldn’t have been more wrong.

Slumped over on the ground was one of his sixth-year students, Harry Potter. Severus’ first thought was that maybe the boy had somehow smuggled alcohol into the castle, and had passed out after drinking too much. Or maybe he had just been so tired that he had fallen asleep right there. After a quickly muttered Lumos, Severus found that he had been mistaken for the second time that night. Once he looked more closely, Severus noticed a deep gash on the boy’s wrist that was bleeding profusely. Quickly running to his side, Severus ascertained that Harry still had a pulse – even though it was a very weak one.

“Potter, you will not die on me!” Severus bellowed, as if the boy could hear his command. Brandishing his wand once more, he summoned numerous potions that would replenish the blood that Harry had lost. Raising them up with shaking hands to Potter’s mouth, he forced them down his throat one at a time. Lowering himself onto the cold floor, Severus waited for the boy’s pulse to improve, as it could be dangerous to force him into consciousness until it did.

Using both of his arms, Severus scooped the boy up with too much ease (he was far too small for his age, after all) and settled Harry against his chest, putting his arms around the boy. After checking for his pulse numerous times, Severus found that Harry’s pulse was strong enough at last. After one muttered Ennervate, Harry finally began to stir.

After a short while, Harry was finally aware of his surroundings. He knew his attempt must have failed, as the room he was in looked identical to the astronomy tower. He also became aware that someone had their arms around him. With a shock of horror, he realized that he must have been discovered. Turning around, he saw the last person he would want to see in a situation such as this: Snape.

“P—Professor?” Harry asked, shocked.

“Mr. Potter, it’s very nice of you to join me.” Severus said, although he said it without sarcasm.

The boy looked crestfallen. “Why did you save me, sir?” He then muttered something about not deserving to be saved.

Of course you deserved to be saved, Mr. Potter.”Snape stated, sounding rather impatient, but still gave the teenager’s shoulder a reassuring squeeze. The boy looked sceptical. “Now, where would you like to stay for the time being?”

“Er, how long will I have to stay there for?” Harry asked.

“Until it has been deemed save for you to leave. In other words, when it is certain that no more incidents such as this one will happen. Now, you have two options: the hospital wing or my quarters.” Severus stated.

“Y—Your quarters, sir?” Harry asked, taken aback.

“Yes, you must be in a place where you can be supervised at all times. Unfortunately, the dormitories do not fit that criteria. Now, I know we have had many conflicts with each other in the past, but I am offering you a place in my quarters because…” Severus said, trailing off. He didn’t know if he would be able to say it; he had never admitted this to anyone before. “I have, in fact, come to care about you. I wish to be able to assist you with everything that you are dealing with, Harry.”

Harry weighed his choices. He still did not want to be here, still did not want to be alive. But he was going to be watched like a hawk now, so he did not seem to have much of a choice. And maybe things would start to get better for him eventually. He did not really want to stay with Snape. He was unsure whether Snape was serious about what he was saying, and was quite apprehensive at the thought of living with him, especially with their past history. However, he had no doubts that Pomfrey would do what they did in Muggle psychiatric wards – restrain him.

“Are you sure you wouldn’t mind? I’d rather stay in your quarters than at the hospital wing, sir.” Harry said.

“I am certain, Harry. As I am sure you know, I do not say things unless I mean them. As I’ve already said, Harry, you deserved to be saved. You do not deserve to die.”

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed it. Please review! :)