Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost done...
Their Bones will lie…



“That’s it… yeah; bend your arms like you’re holding a giant ball, now twist to the left while raising your right leg… slowly… You can’t do this quickly, Draco, it has to be done slow and steady.” Harry reached out a hand to steady his brother as he wobbled on one leg, trying to find his centre of balance. Draco huffed in frustration, but he didn’t quit. It was hard, Harry had to admit; he and his dad had been practicing every morning for two weeks now, and they still fumbled sometimes, but Harry’s movements were much smoother now. He could actually feel his muscles starting to tighten and tone, each repetition getting easier.

Draco had insisted on joining them when he found out what they were doing before breakfast each morning. He had picked up the basic movements quickly and, even though he would grumble each morning, he had managed to join them every day for the last week. Now it was just a matter of finding his balance and perfecting the moves.

Harry was using this time in the morning to meditate and extend his senses, as the book suggested. It was the perfect combination; since the tai-chi-like exercises were a form of physical and mental meditation, Harry could submerge himself in the calming movements as he used his mind to extend his awareness of the world around him – feel the movements of his dad and brother next to him without ever looking at them, sensing where the furniture and other objects in the room were in relation to him. Lately he had taken to closing his eyes while he practiced, for stretches of time, forcing him to extend his senses in all directions to compensate for the loss of the visual. His current goal was to be able to do the entire exercise blind.

Already he was reaping the benefits – he had felt Draco falter, rather than actually seen him wobble. He had to be careful though; he didn’t want his father figuring out what he was doing too soon! He grinned inside at his own little personal victory; this was going to come in so handy as he furthered his martial arts studies with his dad. He let his mind roam along with his senses as he continued on in his routine.

He reflected on how, each morning, after they finished the movement sessions, Severus would work the boys out in a variety of exercises and practice sessions to continue honing their skills on different methods of offensive and defensive techniques. Draco was the better swordsman of the two boys, having studied the subject since he was old enough to hold a short epee; but Harry was better at the muggle defence and wizarding spells. Years of protecting himself from his cousin’s ‘Harry Hunting’ had made him quick on his feet and nimble in dodging blows. His innate sense of magic and sheer power made him one of the best defence students in the school, even at his young age. Of course the fact that he and Draco were probably the only students in school who were actually learning any defence technique that year could have had something to do with it.

Harry mentally rolled his eyes as he thought about the idiot they had as a DADA professor this year, and his body flowed into a praying mantis stance that he held for five seconds. Lockhart had continued his non-teaching lectures, which had the students falling asleep nearly as often as in Professor Binns’ classes. Even most of the girls had gotten tired of his narcissistic tendencies. Hermione was starting to get downright panicked at the thought of being behind next term because the professor hadn’t taught them one defensive move.

Harry had decided to use the DADA class for working on his Occlumency skills, strengthening his mind, building traps for stray Legilimens, hiding his most personal and painful memories deep in the recesses of his mind. He had brought them out only to discuss with Whitney, then had dropped them back into his deepest, blackest pools in his internal jungle.

Whitney had ended their sessions right after the New Year, reserving the right to occasionally visit to see how the boys were getting on. He had told them he was proud of them, glad to see them interacting as a family unit.

As they finished their movements for the morning and bowed towards the east, Harry reflected on how purely happy he was compared to this same time the previous year, and how much had changed and he counted himself one lucky boy.

Severus felt the contentment along the bond he shared with Harry, and glanced over to see his son smiling. He tucked the moment away as something special – Harry rarely smiled with such joy in his face, although it was coming more often these days.

“All right gentlemen, let’s work on shield charms this morning.” The groans he received at this announcement caused him to smirk evilly as he prepared to test his sons’ wand reflexes. “Ready? Impedimenta!

****

Severus hurried up the stairs to the second floor where he had been summoned by Albus and Minerva. Another attack, merely a month into the new term. He was supposed to be refereeing the game this afternoon between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw; instead, he was heading up to investigate the latest onslaught by Gertrude. The basilisk was beginning to try his patience and he was almost tempted to let Harry talk to the beast. He squelched that thought as he ran along the corridor.

He was beginning to despair that they were ever going to find the new diary owner. As usual, he came upon the flood first before turning the corner to find Minerva levitating a pair of young girls – Hermione Granger and Ginny Weasley. Hermione was holding a mirror at an angle, which Albus was gently prying from her grasp. Lockhart was standing nearby, gaping with his mouth open like a fish. Severus dismissed him as utterly useless as he heard footsteps behind him. A gasp, then almost physical pain attacked him through his bond as Harry recognised who had been petrified. Severus turned and tried to hide the scene from his son’s eyes, but it was too late.

“Hermione! Ginny! No, oh no…” Harry began shaking in his Quidditch robes, his broom falling to the floor as he lost his grip. Severus gathered his son to his side, burying the boy’s face in his robes, Accio-ed the broom and led Harry around the corner where Dumbledore soon joined them.

“Foolish boy, why did you come up here?” Snape said gently, despite the words. “Deep breaths, Harry… that’s it. It will be alright, they’re just petrified… you know that,” Severus soothed. He looked up at the headmaster. “Did Myrtle see anything?” He grimaced as his superior shook his head.

“She said she was in the U-bend again when she heard the incanting. She couldn’t tell whether it was a young or an old voice. We now know, however, that the basilisk comes up somewhere near the central ring of sinks in the bathroom – but not who is doing it, and Myrtle is totally unreliable to keep an eye out,” the old man griped.

“We can at least close off the bathroom, seal the doors…” Severus suggested.

“Already done. I am hoping that this is the only entrance,” Albus qualified.

“Salazar indicated he had only created one entrance.”

“Good. I need to notify the Weasleys and send an owl to the Grangers notifying them of what has happened. Minerva will get the girls to the infirmary and let Miss Weasley’s brothers know of her… ah… malady.” His eyes twinkled for a second as he popped a hard candy in his mouth. But his seriousness returned. “Take Harry downstairs Severus… and don’t forget the staff meeting tonight.”

“Of course…” Severus murmured as he led Harry down to the dungeons and some calming draught.

****

The staff meeting that night was chaos, especially after Minister Fudge and Lucius Malfoy showed up. Someone had apparently gotten word out that the beast had struck again and Fudge was insisting that Hagrid be arrested, based on his previous involvement fifty years before.

Dumbledore and Snape had just managed to convince Fudge that Hagrid was innocent in both instances when Lucius Malfoy showed up with a letter of no-confidence from the school governors to Dumbledore.

Snape sneered at Malfoy as the school governor looked only too delighted to hand Dumbledore his walking papers. Hagrid had to be restrained and Trelawney was in her cups, wailing and bemoaning in her corner, McGonagall patting her on the shoulder, while Fudge blustered along about how the school couldn’t possibly get along without Albus at its helm.

Lucius came over to stand near Snape, ignoring the Minister, while Dumbledore insisted on reading over the document, half moon glasses perched on the end of his nose as he took his time.

“Severus, how nice to see you still doing so well. How is parenthood treating you?” Lucius asked in oily, sarcastic tones.

Severus had tried to ignore his former friend, but this was too much of a good goad, and he gave in to it, for the sheer amusement factor of being able to rub it in. “Quite well, actually. You really don’t know a good thing when you have it; do you, Lucius? My sons are my pride and joy – and I don’t have to beat them to get their loyalty and affection – unlike some people I know.” He let his eyes veer deliberately over to Malfoy, taking in the swelling of the other man’s nostrils and pursing of his lips, before he got his emotions swiftly under control. Snape let a small self-satisfied smirk rise to his lips.

“Besides, why should you care?” he continued after a moment. “You disinherited and disavowed Draco – you are not entitled to know a thing about his current accomplishments,” he whispered venomously. Actually he was quite proud of both his boys. They were adapting well to living all together again in the dungeons, settling into a school routine with Severus marking at night while the boys did their homework assignments. Afterwards, if there was time, they would play chess or read and then the boys would retire to their room to write in their journals, practice mind techniques and get ready for bed. Tonight had been a little different, with the girls being attacked. He had left both Draco and Harry in the infirmary where they had joined the Weasley clan in keeping watch over the lionesses.

Things seemed generally safer for both boys, too, if you discounted Gertrude; although, as they had predicted, Draco had ended up joining Harry’s schedule, which had – for the most part – stopped the Slytherin attacks. Academically, both of his sons were doing well – even better than the previous term, and infinitely better than their first-year marks. Yes, he had much to be proud about concerning his little family.

“Must you always pick up other peoples trash, Severus?” Lucius continued. “First, Little Orphan Harry, and now my leftovers? Well, I hope they bring you more satisfaction than I ever received! By the way, how do you like my little gift to the school? Albus seems incapable of handling its forays – the reason why the school governors have unanimously signed that little paper asking for his removal.” He smirked at Severus’ small frown.

“Hmmm, and I assumed it was because you probably coerced and bribed them into it, like you usually operate, Lucius,” Snape shot back, watching as the bolt slid home.

“How dare you imply…” Malfoy began to bluster, reaching for the head of his cane.

“Temper, temper!” Severus reprimanded. “Me, imply? Just trying to make conversation, Lucius. And don’t worry, we’ll neutralise your little… pet… soon.” Severus gave the older man one of his more vicious grins and Lucius wisely turned away, stepping towards Dumbledore who had finally rolled up the document.

“Everything in order, Dumbledore? Good, I shall escort you out of the castle then,” Malfoy offered, reaching out a hand – ostensibly to take a hold of the headmaster’s arm.

”No need, Lucius, I shall leave forthwith,” Dumbledore said, nimbly moving out of reach.

“But I insist, if only to make sure…”

“…I don’t fall down the stairs? Lucius, I would be more wary of you pushing me!” Dumbledore chided as the blond blushed in anger. “No, I shall leave peacefully right now. Come along Hagrid, walk me down to the gates, that’s a lad.” Albus linked arms with the half-giant and the two strolled out of the staff room towards the main doors.

0000

Tom,

The school is in chaos… I don’t know what to do… I don’t understand what is happening… The headmaster was removed this afternoon. I’m so confused.

Everything will be fine, my dear, you are doing so well with our little sessions.

You promise all will be well? I don’t remember where I was last Friday… I’m losing chunks of time, as if the fates have dropped a veil in front of my eyes.

Don’t worry, all will be revealed soon, and I will be there to comfort you in the flesh.

I can’t wait, Tom. You are the only one who understands me, who knows and sympathises with my burdens in this life.

Soon, my darling, soon… I must go now, in order to save my strength. We will speak again in a few days.

She closed the little brown leather book, placed a kiss on the cover and tucked it away in a pocket of her robes.

****

Draco slipped off his amulet as he waited for Harry to finish showering. He liked these few minutes alone in the morning to trace the pathway to the centre of the labyrinth, calming his mind for the day ahead. He sat Indian-style on his bed as he undid the catch, slid the stylus out of its hiding place and began to trace the pattern on the back of his medallion, relaxing his mind as he worked further towards the centre. There was only one way in and one way out, and it usually took him the same amount of time as his brother took in the ensuite.

Today the door opened just as he reached the end, letting out a cloud of steamy, clean smelling air as Harry strolled out, heading towards his wardrobe, still rubbing his long hair dry with a towel, while a second was wrapped around his hips.

“Your turn!” he carolled across the room. Draco dropped the amulet, still in pieces, on the edge of his bed as he did his characteristic bounce off the mattress – hurrying to the bathroom. Neither boy noticed the medallion pieces falling to the floor and rolling under the bed to lay hidden in a dark corner.

When Draco came out, ten minutes later, he dressed quickly and headed over to his bed for the protective necklace. Harry found him there, five minutes later, frantically searching all over the bed, tossing blankets and pillows all around.

“Draco, what…?” Harry asked as he peered around at the absolute destruction taking place on his brother’s side of the room.

“My medallion! I can’t find my medallion! It was right here; I swear it was! Harry, help me find it, please?” he begged.

“Draco, we don’t have time – we’ll be late to Herbology as it is. You can search for it tonight; we don’t have any classes with your housemates today, in any case. Come on, I’ve made you a breakfast sandwich – you can eat it on your way.”

“Damn, damn, damn…” Draco muttered under his breath. “Fine, I’ll be there in a moment. Help me straighten this mess, will you? Dad’ll have a Kneazle if he sees it.” Harry graciously came over and helped re-make the bed, then waited while Draco grabbed his book-bag and joined him at the door.

He handed the other boy the sandwich, wrapped in a serviette, which Draco initially sneered at – but he was hungry enough not to care. So, wrinkling his nose, he bit into it. The look on his face as the combined tastes wove together on his tongue caused Harry to burst out laughing as they walked across the grounds towards the greenhouses.

“Do you at least have your Portkey?” Harry asked as Draco lit into the meal with more gusto.

Draco got a panicked look on his face as he reached down and patted his trouser pocket, relaxing when he felt a reassuring lump in it. He nodded, not wanting to open his mouth while he chewed. Just because he was enjoying a plebeian meal, did not mean he had to act like one.

Harry sighed in relief and they ploughed on across the fields, joining their other classmates at the door to Greenhouse 2.

****

That afternoon, Harry, Draco and Ron were up in the infirmary visiting with Ron’s parents, who were taking turns with the Grangers watching over the girls. Not that there was much they could do, a petrified body did not function at all – it was in suspended animation; but it gave the parents a sense of helping, if only a little bit.

The girls had been petrified for over three months now, with no relief in sight – except for Professor Sprout’s Mandrakes, which were steadily growing under her watchful eye. Neville had taken to spending all his spare time in the greenhouses helping his favourite professor. Without Hermione in class, he was partnered with Harry and Draco in Potions – for his own safety and that of the classes; although his teacher acknowledged he had improved, and was learning quite a lot with the two potions geniuses helping him along; but he missed his bushy-haired partner.

Harry had brought along two nosegays of daffodils that he placed in vases on the girls’ nightstands. He had found them blooming by the lake that morning on his way back from Herbology. As they spoke quietly with Ron’s parents, Professor Trelawney came wafting into the infirmary and floated over to the little group.

“Sybil,” Molly acknowledged a bit curtly. “Is there anything I can help you with?” Molly and Sybil Trelawney had attended Hogwarts during the same time period in the sixties, and Molly tolerated the flighty woman to an extent; but thought her, and her subject, pure nonsense.

“Molly, how nice to see you! The stars are foretelling great things for your family, I read them just last night!” The professor ignored the disdainful sniff from the Weasley matriarch. “I needed some help moving some furniture and Minerva suggested that one of these gentlemen could assist me… how about you, my dear?” She turned towards Draco. “My wand-work is just not sufficient enough to accomplish the task, do you think you could help? It shouldn’t take too long…”

Draco looked at the others in the room, silently asking their opinion and when no one could offer any objections, he shrugged and agreed to accompany her. She was known to be totally harmless if a little bit daft.

“Thank you, my dear boy, I know you shall be ever so helpful, and you should be done in time for dinner. Perhaps I’ll give you a reading as a thank you…” she was heard saying as the two drifted out the infirmary doors.

Arthur got up an hour later and indicated that Ron and Harry should precede him, “I’ll escort you to dinner, boys – make sure you make it there in one piece. Come along, then.”

After seating themselves at the Gryffindor table Harry looked around for Draco, not seeing him anywhere. He nudged Ron. “Didn’t Professor Trelawney say he would be done in time for dinner?”

“Yeah, but maybe she wanted more things moved, or got caught up in his reading – she’s a weird one.” Harry agreed and just shrugged as he served himself from the platter of roast beef that had appeared. Perhaps Draco had already come and gone, he thought to himself. But his dad quickly dispelled that notion as he stopped by on his way down to the dungeons to supervise a detention.

“Harry, where is your brother?”

“Don’t know, Dad. Professor Trelawney asked him to help her, a couple of hours ago. Maybe her task took longer than necessary?”

“Perhaps,” Severus reluctantly agreed. “Keep an eye out for him, would you? I’ll see you later after I am finished with this detention for Mr Smythe-Whitley. The boy had to add lady-bug eyes instead of crushed dung beetle carapace to his skin-smoothing solution…”

Harry winced at the implications. “Let me guess, it blew up and caused volcanic acne eruptions?”

“Precisely – on half the class of third-years,” Severus informed him. “Now, finish your pudding, Son.” He gave Harry a small pat on his back, before squeezing his shoulder once and walking away.

Harry wasn’t going to ignore an order like that! He grinned at the retreating figure of his imposing father before reaching for a second serving of treacle tart.

He was annoyed when he got to their quarters and discovered that Draco was not there. He had felt sure he would have found the other boy eating dinner or at least working on his homework. It was getting close to the end of term and revision fever was taking over those whose marks were important to them. Harry and Draco both had set up schedules to follow until end-of-term exams in June, and they were supposed to go over their charms notes this evening.

Harry sighed as he dropped his book bag on the table and went to his room to fetch ink and a stack of parchment. Returning to the lounge, he pulled out his charms book and notes and started revising on his own, practicing wand movements on a stack of pillows.

He was just getting to the charm for changing a pillow’s colour patterns when the floo flared. He turned, half-expecting to see his errant brother, but instead he saw his head of house.

“Ah, Mr Potter-Snape, is your father around?”

“He’s in the classroom, ma’am, supervising a detention,” he informed her.

The older witch frowned at that news. “May I step through, Harry?”

“Of course!” he said, wondering what was going on that she would resort to calling him by his given name – she never did that, no matter what the provocation, unless it was followed by his surname. The fire flared higher and she stepped through, heading straight for the portrait across the room. Harry jumped up and followed her down the connecting hallway, staying several steps behind her. He was astonished when she didn’t rebuke him, just held the matching portrait-hole open for him when they reached the other side, and summoned Severus from his office door.

The Potions master joined her in his office. “What’s the matter, Minerva, you look as if you’ve seen a ghost,” he commented and now that Harry looked, he realised that she did look a bit dishevelled – hair coming loose from her normally tight bun, face bleached of colour…

“There has been another attack, Severus; and this time they’ve taken the student into the chamber itself.”

“Who?” he enquired darkly.

“Draco and Sybil are both missing. I’m sorry, Severus, the message read that their bones would lie in the Chamber forever.” She looked kindly over her glasses at the younger wizard, who looked pole-axed.

“No…” The choked cry startled Snape out of the shock the dire news had placed him in. The bond pulsed with agony as Harry nearly collapsed behind the witch.

“Harry!” he cried, rushing over to his son who grasped his robes, hauling himself back up.

“Dad, you can’t let him die – I have to talk to her, convince her not to kill him…”

Severus gave in. It had been on his mind for weeks now when no progress had been made; it just needed that last little push to convince him. “Alright, Harry, we’ll both go. Minerva, if you would dismiss Mr Smythe-Whitley?”

She nodded, and headed for the classroom while Severus and Harry headed out of the dungeons and up to the second-floor girls bathroom.