Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Last Chapter: And thus it ends. Thank you, everyone, for all your fun reviews. I don't know yet if there will be a sequel - but I've left it open just in case.

Enjoy, and don't forget to review!
Term Ends

Harry woke up in the wee morning hours to the soft sounds of his brother snoring in the other bed. The charmed window between their beds showed that dawn had yet to break over the Hogwarts’ grounds and he yawned, stretching his arms over his head before settling his pillow into a more comfortable position. He smiled fondly to himself in the darkened room, remembering how grateful he had been when Draco had awoken, relatively intact, down in the chamber. He had originally felt his heart grab in his chest when he'd seen the teacher and his brother lying there, as if they were dead. To see them waking up had been joyous and well worth the fight he’d gone through beforehand.

Then there had been the hug from his dad. Harry snuggled under his warm blankets, remembering that his dad’s embrace had been everything he’d always wanted from a parental figure; something that he never remembered having until last summer. That evidence that someone you looked up to cared for you, worried about your safety… loved you. It gave him as warm a feeling on the inside as his covers did on the outside, and they both came from the same source: his dad.

As he lay there, beginning to doze off again, he heard his brother starting to thrash and moan in his bed. Harry sighed to himself; it appeared the Dreamless Sleep was wearing off. He shrugged out from under his warm covers and, grabbing his blankets and pillow, snuck over to Draco’s bed, climbing in next to his brother and holding him close until he slipped back into a restful sleep. This was something they did for each other and it had become a regular occurrence; but it seemed to work and Harry did not begrudge his brother the needed comfort the other boy needed. By the time Draco had calmed down, Harry was asleep as well, curled up behind his brother, black and silver hair mixing on the pillows.

****

“It’s time, gentlemen,” Severus began the next morning after a quiet breakfast, “to discover why Draco was able to be attacked and dragged down to the chamber. Especially when he was supposed to have a protection charm and a Portkey on his person at all times!” Both of his sons winced visibly at his tone of voice, but he chose not to moderate it; he was still upset that they had come so close to dying. He scanned both boys as they sat side by side on the chesterfield whilst he stood next to the floo – a cup of strong tea wafting its steam up into his face as he sipped from it. “So, who is going to speak first?”

The boys each looked at the other, and Draco began to open his mouth, but then shut it in embarrassment. Harry gave him a sympathetic look and squeezed his brother’s hand before telling the tale.

“Well, I don’t know what happened after Trelawney asked him to help her, but yesterday morning he couldn’t find his medallion after his shower and we were going to be late to Herbology, so we took off. I thought the risk was low, as he didn’t have any classes with the Slytherins. Besides, he assured me he had his Portkey – he even checked his pocket to be sure!” He felt his brother shift uncomfortably beside him and he glanced over at him. “You did have it, didn’t you?” Harry asked, eyebrows rising in a perfect imitation of his father. He had thought the batty professor had nullified the Portkey or something like that so that Draco had been unable to use it.

Draco coughed a little, attempting to clear his throat. “I thought I did, but I didn’t really check. I just patted the pocket I normally keep it in and, when I felt the right size lump in there, I assumed it was the Portkey,” he said sheepishly.

“It wasn’t?” Harry asked, astonished. Severus narrowed his eyes as well – he thought he’d taught the boys better habits than that, obviously the rules needed to be gone over, yet again, and he would have a talk with Filius about adding Accio earlier in the curriculum – it might have saved them all from this problem.

Draco shook his head, looking down at his shoe tips. “When I realised that Trelawney had gone all weird on me and was going to attack me, I reached into my pocket and found an old candy there. That was when I remembered I had picked up the wrong pair of trousers. Merlin, I’m sorry, Dad – I was just so rushed yesterday morning I totally forgot… Can you ever forgive me?” Draco looked scared, realising the danger he had been in without any recourse to save himself. He hadn’t even been able to use his wand – the professor had been too fast: possessed, as she had been, by the world’s greatest git.

Severus came over to sit on the low table in front of the boys, taking their hands in his. “There is nothing to forgive, Draco. I am just thankful that neither of you were killed by that monster. That being said, however, I believe your punishment for not making sure you actually had your Portkey will be a three foot essay on what else could have gone wrong, and why you should always carry your protection totems with you at all times. It will be due before the end of term and I want extensive examples given, with a complete bibliography. In addition, I believe you will be helping me clean out the store room, for the next few evenings, of out-of-date potions ingredients.”

Draco mumbled a ‘yes, sir’ before sitting back against the couch cushions. He knew he was getting off rather easy compared to what his father could have done to him for such a nearly fatal slip-up. His back end was feeling very thankful at being spared, and he wasn’t going to push it by objecting to his punishments.

Snape turned to his other son. “Now, Harry, you never told me last night: what did you see when you went into the chamber?”

“I saw Riddle, Dad, a younger version though. He was dressed in old school clothes. He was standing right there, gloating that he was sucking off the life force of Draco and the professor. And then he summoned the basilisk.” Harry was quiet for a moment as he thought back to the scene. “She was so big, Dad, and Riddle commanded her so easily. I tried to talk to her – I really did, but she wouldn’t listen to me.” He turned agonised eyes up to Severus. “Then Fawkes came and saved my life – he blinded the basilisk and then, after I’d been bitten by the snake, he healed my arm.” He pulled up his sleeve to show Severus and Draco the small scar left on his forearm; the only thing that remained to show where a poisonous basilisk fang had impaled his arm. Severus reached out a questing finger to stroke the newly pink skin in awe at what his son had gone through, before laying his palm flat over the mark. He closed his eyes for a moment as Harry continued explaining, willing his heart to slow its frantic beating at the news that, if it hadn’t been for the Phoenix, Harry would have died. “I just got this idea to take the tooth and stab it into the diary; so I did, and Riddle disappeared – screaming,” Harry finished.

Severus slowly pulled his hand back and looked Harry straight in his eyes. “I thought I told you not to do any Gryffindor heroics?” Severus said, half in jest and half quite seriously. He needed to curb his son’s reckless qualities if the boy was to live to reach his majority. Severus knew he had his work cut out for him. Although, he had to admit the circumstances had dictated most of what had happened; he didn’t think he could have done any better faced with the same situation. Harry looked up in astonishment, protest dying on his lips when he realised his father was joking with him.

“I’ll try not to - next time,” he jested back, laughter bubbling along their link.

“See that you do!” Severus said, raising a hand to tousle his son’s hair, before turning it into a slight cuff at the back of the head. Harry leaned into the caress for a moment before batting his dad’s hand away. “In any case, well done.” Severus saw the effect those words had on Harry, nearly lighting him up from inside; and the burst of warmth along the bond told him he’d said the right thing. “Now, as you are both fully recovered, I do believe you two have classes today.” Severus said while standing up. “And I seem to remember that my class is first, so go get ready!”

“Yes, sir!” both boys stated, as they headed down the hallway to their room to grab their book bags; glad to be back to normal. Harry stopped at Slytherin’s portrait first though, after his dad had closed it behind him on his way to his office.

“Salazar, I’m sorry about Gertrude. I tried to reason with her, but she was only obeying Riddle – I had to kill her,” he whispered to the painted founder.


“I know, I’m sorry to see her go as well, but she was dangerous and needed to be dealt with. I’m glad you were unharmed, fellow speaker, ” assured the painted Founder.

“Thanks, Salazar. Gotta go!” He waved at the portrait and continued on to his room where he made sure that, this time, his brother had his medallion and Portkey in place.

****

By lunchtime, the rumour had circulated that the beast in the chamber was dead and that the petrified students would soon be revived Sprout’s upper level classes had spent the morning harvesting the Mandrakes and Severus was going to use the next few days to prepare the draught. They also knew that something had happened to Lockhart as Dumbledore had posted a note on the defense door cancelling classes for the rest of the term.

“You know, Harry, Hermione is going to go spare when she realises she’s missed out on so much school,” commented Ron as they took their seats at the Gryffindor table. He was especially eyeing the stack of roast beef sandwiches on a plate in the centre of the table. He quickly scooped three onto his plate before adding a large handful of crisps and pickles. Harry just shook his head at his friend while Draco frowned at the redhead’s manners, delicately adding a sandwich to his plate. He quickly removed the crusts and cut the sandwich into triangular quarters before serving himself some crisps and a single dill spear. Harry sat amused between the two polar opposites, not sure if he had an appetite now; but he eventually gave in and served himself, since he could feel his father’s concern for him through their bond.

“Well, I’m sure she’ll catch up over the summer,” Harry commented. “You know Hermione, she won’t want to be behind next term.” The two other boys nodded their agreement.

“We’ve got Charms this afternoon,” Harry went on over his brother’s groans. “Yeah, Draco, you missed our revising last night – so I hope you’re ready!”

“As ready as I’ll ever be, I guess.” He set down his unfinished quarter of sandwich. “I’m not hungry anymore, I’m going to look over my notes.” He dragged his charms book out of his bag and pushed his plate out of the way as he began going over the list of incantations they were to be quizzed on that afternoon. Harry surreptitiously moved his brother’s plate back into view and sure enough, as he thought would happen, a hand snaked over to snag a crisp before it disappeared behind the large tome. Ron snickered through his full mouth, nearly spraying Harry with crumbs.

Harry gave Ron a disgusted look before he gazed up at the head table. He felt pride flow along the bond and saw his father nodding thanks to him for watching out for his brother’s well being. Well, of course he would! Wasn’t that what brothers were for, to watch out for each other? That’s what the Weasley’s did; Ron could complain all he wanted about having so many siblings, but when it came down to it, he would never deny them. They were too much a part of his makeup and what made him ‘Ron’. Harry and Draco did the same thing for each other, and they both enjoyed having an adult who was exclusively concerned with their well-being.

Harry grinned back at his dad, then tuned in to the conversation Ron was having with Dean and Seamus over the prospects of the professional Quidditch Season just starting up.

****

“Hermione!”

“Ginny!”

The welcoming yells ushered the students in as they filed into the Great Hall after being released from the Infirmary. With only a few weeks to go before finals, everyone was glad to see the students who had been petrified returned to health. The Gryffindors made room for their friends as they shuffled in and found seats. Collin Creevey was enveloped by his fellow first-years, Ginny pulled into an opening surrounded by her brothers where they could check her over, and Hermione sat next to Ron and across from the Snape brothers.

Draco had given her a nod of recognition, earning himself a small smile in return and Harry had come close to jumping over the table to give her a hug – but was pulled back into his seat by Draco’s hand grabbing the back of his robes. “Decorum, Harry!” came the whispered admonishment from the blond.

Harry grinned apologetically over at Hermione and gave her a verbally warm welcome back, then tossed one down to Ginny as well since she was nearby. Dumbledore had declared the Friday one of feasting in honour of the returning students and the house-elves had not disappointed: filling all the tables to the point of groaning with all the food and puddings.

Afterwards, Dumbledore had made a stunning announcement: he had cancelled all the finals as a school treat. Hermione nearly had a fit, and Ron had to clap a hand over her mouth before she had gotten a word out in protest while the rest of the room cheered.

“Hermione! You’ve been petrified for over three solid months; give it a rest!” he explained. She had crossed her arms and huffed under his hand, eyes flashing a warning at him and, when he was sure she wasn’t going to ruin everything, he relented and removed his hand.

“How am I supposed to know what my marks are?” she whispered vehemently to her friend. “I’ve lost half a year, Ron! That could be crucial! Oh, I’m going to have to study twice as hard this summer to make up for it…”

Draco looked over at the girl, astonished at her outburst. He nudged his brother, who had his mouth full of gooey treacle. “Is she serious?”

Harry got his mouth unstuck long enough to ask, “Who? Hermione?” At his brother’s nod, Harry laughed. “Very!”

Draco just shook his head in wonderment and returned to his own plate of after dinner treats. He and Harry were both near the top of their class – behind Hermione and a few Ravenclaws – but neither boy was as obsessive as their Gryffindor friend.

He and Harry had spent a couple of nights this past week going over class brochures that Severus had brought for them to peruse. They got to pick their classes for the next term and both boys had taken awhile to choose their electives. In the end, though, they had decided to both take Care of Magical Creatures, Arithmancy and Divination – despite their run-in with Professor Trelawney. It was either that or Muggle Studies and Harry felt that he, in no way, needed to study Muggles since he’d lived like one nearly his entire life, and Draco saw no use in it, whatsoever. He figured if he needed information like that he could just ask Harry or Hermione.

Ron had stuck with just two electives, wishing he could’ve dropped some of his regular classes – but no such luck. Hermione couldn’t decide and had finally signed up for everything.

“Hermione, how are you going to be able to go to all those classes? It’s impossible!” Ron protested one evening close to the end of term.

“Oh, I’ll find a way. I’ll be fine, you’ll see,” said the lioness as she packed up her book bag and headed out the portrait hole for the library. “Now, are you coming or not? You said you’d help me go over transfiguration tonight,” she reminded the redhead.

“Yeah, yeah, all right – I’m coming. I thought Harry was helping you to revise your missed lessons?” he grumbled as he grabbed his own satchel and followed her out the door.

“He is, but he’s busy tonight and I really need to study.”

“Keep your knickers on; I’m coming along, aren’t I?” he pointed out as he trudged beside her down the stairs. He was rewarded with a shy smile from the girl, which made him stand up a little taller and walk with a little more confidence.

****

Severus handed the small wrapped box over to Draco. “Happy birthday, Son.”

Draco folded his napkin and placed it beside his desert plate of cake and ice cream before accepting the gift. He smiled at his father before carefully untying the bow and setting the ribbon aside. Lifting the lid, he peered inside to see a small black kitten, with a white bib and stockings, curled up asleep.

Harry’s familiar, Silicia, poked her head out over his wrist to taste the air and memorize the scent of the new family member. Harry had strictly told her she wasn’t to bother the new pet. Her reply had been a cautious she wouldn’t if he wouldn’t.

Draco thanked his father profusely after gently setting the box down on the table next to his brother’s present of new Quidditch pads and Whitney’s gift to both boys of more journals.

“He’s beautiful, Dad!” said Draco as he peered into the box.

“What are you going to name him?” Harry asked.

Draco took a moment to look at his new treasure before deciding. “I think I’ll name him… Onyx.” The kitten chose that moment to open his striking blue eyes and yawned, his tiny pink tongue darting out before settling back down again. Draco fell in love, then and there, reaching in with a gentle finger to pet the soft fur on top of Onyx’s head.

Whitney had come by to join the little family and check up one last time on the boys to make sure they were ready for the end of term. He was gratified to see them behaving well with each other. The three disparate factors that had come together in these quarters last spring had, through the making of vows and hard work, become a strong family unit; able to support and love each other. He sat back in his chair, sipping on some fine brandy that Severus had served him, content that his job was done, and had been done well.

0000

With the end of term so close, the boys had stayed with their dad instead of heading back to their dorms. Now, on the final day, Harry and Draco were getting dressed in their good school robes getting ready to head to the leaving feast. Severus called out for them from the lounge area, and they hurried, both vying for mirror time to make sure their hair was combed and their ties were straight.

“Harry, Draco, hurry up!” came the second reminder for that evening. The mirror blackened itself so they could no longer primp, and the two shot it a disgusted glance before heading to the main sitting area.

“Finally! Does it really take that long for you two to change robes?”

“Sorry, Dad.”

“Sorry, sir.”

Severus just stood there, arms crossed, as he gazed between the two contrite teens. He finally humphed behind closed lips and led the way out of their quarters as they joined the small groups of students heading for the Great Hall.

Harry and Draco joined the Gryffindor table, sitting next to the other second-years who were waiting a bit impatiently for the feast to start. Ron was rubbing his rumbling stomach, sending pained looks up to the high table when he wasn’t staring at the empty silver platters arranged along the long house tables.

“Merlin, I’m hungry!” he mumbled after another especially loud gurgle echoed, causing several people nearby to titter. Hermione gave him a look that clearly stated she was totally unsympathetic.

“Well, Ronald, it’s your own fault. If you had come in for lunch when it was served…” she began.

“Hermione, it was Quidditch! You don’t quit in the middle of a game of Quidditch for lunch! Tell her, Harry!” he pleaded with his best friend. Harry just shrugged when the girl aimed her laser eyes on his slight form. He wasn’t going to get into the middle of this argument – he was doomed whichever side he chose, so he chose the third option: stay quiet.

The tables hushed down as Dumbledore finally rose from his seat.

“As you can tell by our decorations this evening, Ravenclaw has taken the House Cup this year and Gryffindor has the Quidditch Cup. Well done!” He began clapping and the students politely followed.

“As you already know, Professor Lockhart regretfully had to leave our Hogwarts family before the end of term. I’m told that he is getting the finest care available for his… ah… memory issues. That regrettably leaves us without a defense instructor once again. Never fear, we shall have one in time for next term.

“I want to commend all of you this year for maintaining relatively cool heads as we faced many challenges this term and hope that next year will be relatively quieter! Now, as I can hear young Mr Weasley’s stomach from here, let’s eat!”

Ron had sent a wry glance towards the headmaster, but it soon turned to a relieved smile as the silver platters were filled to brimming with delicious food and he began to shovel quantities of it onto his plate.

As they students eventually wound their way down to the pudding course, Ron slapped his forehead. “Oy, I nearly forgot, you two; Mum has invited you over to visit this summer!” he said to the two Snapes.

“That’d be great, Ron!” enthused Harry. “We’ll have to check with dad, though.”

“I think Mum and Dad have already owled the Professor, or were going to… in any case; think he’d object?”

“We’ll let you know before you leave tomorrow,” Harry assured the other boy. He wondered why Draco was staying silent on the subject but he let his brother be for the moment.

As the Great Hall slowly emptied of students, the seventh-years hanging back for one last chance at inter-house socializing, Severus led his sons back down to their quarters. Harry brought up the subject of going to the Weasleys house for a visit over the summer and his dad had indicated that yes, he had received the missive, but had yet to decide on an answer and there was no guarantee that he would have one before the train left.

Harry was left the next day telling Ron that he would owl him as soon as he found out Severus’ answer. He and Draco stood at the station, next to their father, as they watched their friends board the train. Harry waved to his mates as the train pulled away, not noticing that Draco hadn’t joined in.

He did notice the other boy’s quietness as they meandered home along the sun-dappled lane that led from the village of Hogsmeade to the winged boar guardians of Hogwarts’ gates.

Severus hung back a bit as his sons led the way up the gravelled carriageway, making the detour to Hagrid’s cottage; they had been invited for tea after the train had departed.

“Draco, what’s up?” asked Harry.

“I don’t know, I guess… I just don’t feel… Alright, I’m jealous!” he finally burst out, taking his brother aback.

“Jealous? Whatever for?”

“If you must know, your friends.”

“But – their your friends too, Drake!”

But Draco was shaking his head. “No they aren’t. They tolerate me, the Slytherin among the lions. They tolerate me because they don’t want to insult you.”

“Huh, seems a bit stupid considering they were insulting me right and left during the fall. But, Draco, you have your own friends!”

“Do I? The people I thought were my friends have totally shunned me this last term; I don’t really know where I stand with them.”

“Well, they seemed a bit too sycophantic to really be friends,” Harry insisted. They headed down the steep hillside along the jagged path that led to the half-giant’s abode. “Come on, come with me to Ron’s. I know it won’t be what you’re used to, but it sounds really homey… You never know, you and Ron could end up being mates!” He was walking sideways next to his brother so he could watch the blond’s face and he gave Draco a teasing grin. While Ron and Draco had buried the hatchet after Christmas, they still weren’t the best of mates. They were polite to each other for Harry’s sake; that was the extent of it.

Draco couldn’t help it – he couldn’t stay upset with Harry when he looked like that: delicious mischief twinkling in his eyes. He rolled his own eyes in response to his brother’s quip. “In your dreams, Harry!” he shot back.

Harry just laughed as he skipped the rest of the way down the path; it was going to be a glorious summer!

The End.