Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
In honour of our favourite boy's birthday, and that of our muse, I bring you the next installment. Anyone ordered BtB yet? I went for the deluxe edition on Amazon...
The Nail in the Coffin

Remus Lupin slipped through the Great Doors of Hogwarts on his way to report to Dumbledore concerning his latest mission for the headmaster. It felt good to get into the cool, nighttime corridors of the old castle after the stifling, August heat of Scotland. His greying hair was plastered against his head and he’d repeatedly set cooling charms on his robes, to very little avail.

He made his way to the seventh floor wing where the gargoyle took one look at him and slid aside, letting him ascend the circular staircase without requiring the password. Remus didn’t think he could remember it at this point, if he had even tried; he was too exhausted.

“Come in!” he heard after his knock on the office door. He pushed it open and took the seat in front of Albus’ desk.

“Remus! How did it go? Have a chocolate patty?”

“Thank you,” said the exhausted man as he stuck the ambrosia-like sweet in his mouth, savouring the Honeydukes chocolate, before accepting an ice cold drink that felt so good going down his parched throat. “It went very well, the wild packs are beginning to organise. There are, of course, a few holdouts – Greyback and his group will never listen to us – but that was to be expected,” he began.

Dumbledore stroked his beard with one hand, closing his eyes to mere slits while he took in the rest of the young man’s report. He asked several pointed questions, which Lupin did his level best to answer – but some things he was unable to muster the required information and Dumbledore set him the task of some research the next day in the restricted section of the library. After nearly a half-hour of discussing the finer points, he eventually led Lupin to a nearby guest chamber and bade him a good evening.

Remus gratefully slipped out of his damp, perspiration infused robes and fell arse up onto the bed, becoming comatose almost instantly, not even bothering to Nox the lights.

***


Harry awoke to the sounds of silverware clinking beyond his door. It took him a moment to remember where he was and then it all came back to him in a rush – Snape was his guardian now! He let out a contented sigh as he closed his eyes and relaxed back in his warm bed. A knock at the door startled him back awake, however.

“Potter? I know you’re awake!” Bloody Hell! The man knew everything! “You have fifteen minutes to get showered, dressed and seated for breakfast,” came the stern voice of the professor.

Harry flung aside the covers, grumbling, “I’m up, I’m up!” as he danced his way across the cool flagstones to his bathroom.

Fourteen and a half minutes later he slid into his seat, hair still damp from the shower – but clean - and dressed in some of the casual clothes Snape had purchased for him the day before.

Snape nodded at Harry’s punctuality and served the boy up some breakfast while Harry fixed his pumpkin juice. Harry eyed the large bottle of nutritive potion warily.

“Problems?” enquired Severus.

Harry shook his head. “I was just trying to figure out how long it will take to finish the bottle?”

Snape smirked at the boy’s sigh. “Quite awhile, Potter. You have a lot of ground to catch up on. Now eat up!”

Harry complied, paying especial attention as to how he held his utensils after a sharp, remindful look from Snape. When they were done, Harry tapped the table twice, pleased when the charm worked.

Severus Accio-ed a piece of parchment from his desk and placed it in front of his ward. “Your finalised study schedule; but first we have to go up to Albus’ office to sign the transfer of guardianship papers – he flooed me earlier this morning to say they were ready - so get a set of robes.”

Harry nodded quickly and headed back to his rooms. He placed the schedule on his desk and grabbed the first set of robes he came to in his wardrobe, shrugging into them as he hurried back to the main room.

Severus gave him a once over, reaching out to straighten the robes on the shoulders, but dropped his hands when Harry inadvertently flinched. He settled for giving the mop of hair a scathing look. “Is there nothing to be done with that?”

Harry grinned at Snape. “Nothing yet! Although, it seems to be straightening out lately!” he pointed out helpfully.

“Cheeky!” he snarled; however, the boy was right – the hair was straighter than when they had rescued him Friday evening. “Let’s go.” He led the way out of his quarters and up the myriad stairways to the headmaster’s office. Harry was suitably impressed with the gargoyle and laughed at the password, “Chocolate Frogs”, while his guardian simply rolled his eyes. He stood behind Snape as he knocked on the oak door at the top of the revolving staircase, and received permission to enter, but was nearly bowled over when his guardian attempted to turn around to leave.

“Severus, you will stay!” came the commanding voice of Dumbledore and the door shut itself behind them, with a distinctive squelch of a sealing charm.

Harry heard his teacher take a huge intake of air and looked up to see him roll his eyes again before the man twirled back around to face the room.

“Albus, is that… Harry?” came an unknown voice, and yet it sounded familiar, as if Harry should know it. He peeked around Snape’s robes and felt the professor place his arm firmly around his shoulders, suppressing his reflex to flinch again and propelling him forward. He heard the man whisper under his breath. “If I have to put up with this, so do you.” Harry spared a quick glance over his shoulder, but Snape had set his face in granite, and was unreadable.

Harry turned back to face the man coming towards him from out of the shadows of the room. “Hullo, Harry. I’m sure you don’t remember me, but I knew your parents; I’m Remus Lupin.” His guardian’s fingers dug into his shoulders and Harry wiggled free from them as he gazed at the wizard. The man had on shabby grey robes over an equally worn-out set of clothes. Patches could be seen on the elbows, and his shoes had obviously seen better days. Several scars seemed to criss-cross across the lower portion of his face leading from the mouth back towards the ears, but his smoky blue eyes seemed kind as they gazed upon him. Greying hair that seemed haphazardly groomed topped the slightly bent frame.

“I’ve heard of you, sir,” he said politely. However, as Lupin moved closer holding his hand out for a shake, Harry scooted back until he ran into Snape and felt safer when the man placed an arm around him, pulling him in closer.

Lupin stopped his approach, dropped his hand, and took a step back at this protective stance. He studied the pair a moment, looking quickly at Severus and then back at Harry. “I’m sorry, Harry. I didn’t mean to startle you. I’ll just take my leave then, shall I? I have some research to do in the library, and I prefer to be in there when Madam Pince isn’t around to scowl disapprovingly at me,” he said with a conspiratorial wink to Harry. Harry grinned back despite himself. “Albus,” he nodded farewell to the headmaster. “Severus, is it possible we may talk this evening?”

“Is it necessary?” the dour man ground out between clenched teeth.

“It is. I’m curious though, why is Harry here? Shouldn’t he be at Petunia’s?” He looked pointedly between the two men. Severus just kept a grip on his ward, who was finding great interest in the oriental carpet patterns, and didn’t give an answer – but shot a look over to Albus instead. Dumbledore finally cleared his throat after the atmosphere became too tense.

“Ah, perhaps that is something Severus will discuss with you tonight, Remus, I will just say that I may have made a grave error in placing Harry with Petunia.”

Remus, startled, looked back to Snape, feeling as if he was watching a tennis match. Snape snorted at the Headmaster’s response but shrugged in acquiescence and moved himself and Harry to the side as Lupin walked over to the now-opened door.

“Nine-o’clock, then, Severus?” Another nod. He quickly took his leave of the room.

***

“Headmaster, why is he here?” Severus enquired, loosening his grip on Harry, who rubbed his shoulder to ease the knot left by his teacher’s fingers. He stood there looking at the room around him while the adults held their conversation.

“Making a report. You two are here to sign the papers? Good, I have them right here.” He rummaged around his desk as Harry ventured away from Snape’s side to look around the fascinating room. He was enticed by all the glittering and whirling devices scattered around the circular office, as well as the headmaster portraits who were looking down at him and muttering to each other, and then he let his eyes pause on the sorting hat, high up on a shelf; but he felt especially drawn to the magnificent red and gold bird that was perched near an open window. He gently reached out to run his hand over the bird’s head. The bird closed its eyes in pleasure and gave a little trill of contentment.

“He’s warm!” he said, astonished at the sensation. He missed the glare that his guardian threw in his direction.

“Fawkes is a Phoenix, Harry,” Dumbledore said without looking up as he rummaged further on his desk. “A very special magical bird. Capable of great loyalty, carrying heavy burdens, with tears that heal any wound; they regenerate themselves and are born from their own ashes. He should be having a burning day sometime this year, perhaps you’ll get to see it… ah, here we are!” Albus pulled a sheaf of parchment from a stack and handed it to Snape.

“Potter, come here,” commanded the potions master. Harry obeyed after giving one last pat to Fawkes and being rewarded with another trill from the familiar, and came over to sit in the chair next to the dark man.

Snape quickly read through the papers that transferred full guardianship from the Dursleys to himself. Signing the sheets, he handed them to Harry to read – pointing out where the boy needed to sign.

Signing the last page, Harry looked up at his professor. “Does this mean I’m yours, now?”

Severus looked deeply into the green eyes turned up at him so trustingly, and nodded. A small smile lit Harry’s face.

“Brilliant!”

Snape lifted one eyebrow at the boy’s language and handed the papers back to Dumbledore as he stood up and motioned with his hand that Harry should do the same.

“Thank you, my boys,” said the headmaster, his eyes twinkling madly underneath his bushy eyebrows.

“If that is all, Albus, Potter has to get started on his summer homework.”

“No, no, nothing else, Severus. Don’t forget the staff meeting next Tuesday at two, though.”

Severus gave his patented nod of the head as he chivvied his charge out the door and down the stairs to the dungeons.

***

“All right, Potter, get your books and assignments; you may work here at the table where I can keep an eye on you.”

Harry walked down the corridor to his room where he hung his robes up and grabbed his materials from his desk. In the dining area he piled his books to one side, his paper, quills and ink to the other and took a look at the schedule Snape had drawn up for him.

The man was clearly as obsessed as Hermione, but without the colour coding she was so fond of. Harry sighed and grabbed his History of Magic text and began to take notes. This was obviously a downside to being the ward of a professor at your own school.

Three hours, and one essay later, Harry was startled to see his books and paper move over to the far side of the table.

“Lunch, Potter,” said the mildly amused voice of Snape. “Go wash your hands.”

“Yes, sir.” Harry hurried down the hallway and was back a few minutes later, presumably with cleaner hands, since he was rubbing them dry on his slacks. Severus frowned at the bad manners.

“Potter, next time use a hand towel, that is what they are for!”

Harry had the grace to look abashed as he realised what he was being chided for. “But I thought those were for decoration! That’s what my aunt…” he fell silent as he quickly came to the conclusion that this was just one more thing his relatives had neglected in his upbringing.

Severus nodded. “They are not for decoration, they are there to be used. It just appears slovenly to have wet stains on your trousers or shirts from wiping your hands dry on them. Try not to let it happen again. You have a station amongst Wizards to maintain – sloppy manners will not be tolerated. Now, did you get your essay done?”

“Just about; need to proofread it, but I think I got what Binns wanted.”

“Professor Binns, Potter,” Severus automatically corrected.

“Sorry, sir,” muttered Harry, just as automatically, as he buttered a roll.

“This afternoon we will move to the classroom to begin your potions tutorial.”

“What will we be brewing?” asked Harry as he bit into the soft buttery bread.

“You are going to start with the first potion of the previous term and work your way forward – making sure to do each potion to my satisfaction before moving to the next. Understood?”

Harry sighed at the thought of close to thirty potions in less than thirty days. “Yes, sir.”

After lunch, Harry retrieved his newly restocked potions kit and followed the professor along Salazar’s corridor and through his office to the classroom.

Harry was stunned when he discovered the weights, measures and stirring rod set he had eyed at the Apothecary’s. He warily approached the lab bench they were set upon. Cautiously, he looked up at his teacher as Snape came over to stand in front of him.

“For me?” he whispered, hardly daring to believe his good fortune. Surely the professor only meant for him to use them during the summer, they couldn’t be for him… but his professor was now nodding his head.

“Yes, Harry. Happy belated Birthday.” The saturnine man was startled when the boy threw his arms around his teacher. He tentatively patted the boy a couple of times before stating, “Enough, Potter!”

Harry quickly pulled back after saying his thanks. “It’s my first Birthday present!” he declared. “Well, not really – Hedwig was, last year; but it’s my first for this year!”

“Just be sure you treat them properly,” Snape said gruffly, barely managing to handle the swirl of emotion he had felt during the hug. “Now, turn to page twenty in your book and lay out your tools and ingredients as stated.” Harry worked diligently for the next hour and a half with his teacher actually willing to answer questions as he proceeded. At the end, Snape declared the potion passable, which was high praise coming from him, and let Harry free to have an hour of flying time on the pitch.

Harry fairly flew back to their quarters, grabbed his broom, and ran out of the castle to the Quidditch pitch. Severus followed behind and took up his watchful post at the bottom of the stands watching the boy-wonder dip, dive and complete derring-do turns in the beautiful blue sky, as if born riding a broom. He nearly gave Severus several heart attacks with his stunts.

***

Another man in the castle looked out from the library window where he was seated, studying some books for the headmaster. He paused in his reading to watch the young Gryffindor fly as if he had wings, instead of a broomstick. His heart flew right alongside the boy as he dipped and raced all around the pitch. The boy flew as well as his father.

He shook his head to himself and returned to his research, soaking in the late afternoon warmth of the Scottish sunlight pouring through the open leaded window. Tonight would be soon enough to speak of such things.

***

Harry went to sleep almost as soon as dinner was over with, having exhausted himself with the flying; and Snape answered the door when a knock came precisely at nine. He motioned for the man to enter and closed the door quietly behind him, not wishing to disturb the sleeping student.

Lupin came in and sat in the divan in front of the fire, taking the proffered glass of elf wine when offered by Snape.

“So, Lupin, what did you need to see me about?” Severus took his favourite seat by the fireplace, sipping on the wine and enjoying its varied flavours as it flowed over his tongue.

“Severus, I’m just going to come out and tell you this. You do know what day Harry was born?”

“July thirty-first – everyone knows that!” he huffed into his wineglass. “It’s practically a wizarding holiday!”

“True.” The werewolf took a sip. “But, what everyone does not know – as Lily only told James and me – is that Harry was a month late.”

“A month late? But that would mean…” He collapsed in his chair and shook his head in denial. “No…” he groaned. “She was sleeping with Potter before…” He couldn’t finish the thought; he was becoming so incensed! In his anger he began clutching the wine glass causing the glass to begin cracking under the pressure.

“No, Severus, no – that’s not what I meant!” Remus leaned towards the other man, reaching a hand out, desperately trying to stop Severus from the dangerous line of thought.

“Then say what you mean, wolf-boy!” Severus shot back, black eyes glowering from under his hooded eyelids, knuckles white as they clenched the wineglass that now showed numerous spider-web-like cracks.

“Severus, Harry is your son!”

Snape shook his head. “That’s impossible. He looks just like Potter, Lupin.” He finally noticed the glass in his hand and, after muttering a Reparo, set the glass gently down on the table at his side; it was one of his favourites.

“And Lily was gifted in charms and potions,” Remus quickly pointed out. He shook his head, as if to himself, as he thought about the extraordinary bit of magic his friend had performed – especially as it had lasted this long. “She charmed Harry specifically to look like James to keep him safer. It was her creation: a cross between wand-work and potions. At least that is what she thought would happen; she just didn’t want any of your acquaintances to know that Harry was yours – to keep him from being pledged to Voldemort’s service. This was before the news about the prophecy came out – and by then it was too late, they had to go into hiding and you were deep within Voldemort’s ranks, spying.” He sat back a bit, as Severus showed no further signs of attacking Remus. “She truly regretted never being able to tell you, Severus. She told me that, the week before they were killed.”

Severus collapsed back in his chair, holding his face in his hands.

“Oh, Gods, Lily…” he moaned.

“She never betrayed your marriage, Severus,” Remus pointed out softly. “I wish I could have told you sooner, but she had me under an oath until Saturday when Harry turned twelve.”

Snape just mutely nodded. His wife had been tremendously accomplished in the fields of potions and charms. She had used a combination of both to achieve Harry’s appearance and to make it last so long. Now that he thought about it, Potter’s looks were beginning to change as well as his bend toward academics. Today had been an eye-opener for Severus; the boy had never seemed this talented or studious during the previous term…

A scream from the corridor behind them propelled him straight out of his chair and down the hallway to Harry’s room, cursing a blue streak under his breath, with Remus right behind him.

Remus stood in astonishment as he witnessed Harry writhing in the bedcovers, sweat pouring from his pores and soaking his nightclothes, screaming his head off between whimpers and cries of  “No, no, Uncle Vernon. No, no, please! I’ll be good… please don’t…”

“Merlin, Snape, what is happening!” Lupin growled.

“Nightmares. He’s remembering his abuse – now shut up, Lupin!” demanded Severus as he moved to the boy’s bed.

Severus sat down on the edge of the bed and, reaching hesitantly at first, gathered the boy gently to him; restraining Harry as he fought Snape in his nightmare induced delirium, kicking out and trying to cover his face with his arms; but Snape, with upper body strength born from carrying cauldrons for the last twenty-odd years, had them under control. Severus talked quietly to him as one strong arm held Harry against his chest and the other gently stroked the sweat soaked head in a calming manner that slowly, ever so slowly, got through to the teen. Harry visibly relaxed and began to take great shuddering breaths as he slowly woke up and tried to bring himself under control.

“Harry, didn’t I tell you to take the potion?” Severus chided gently, when he noticed the boy was finally becoming aware of his surroundings.

“I – I fell asleep before I remembered,” the boy responded sheepishly.

“Hmm, well better late than never; open up!” He Accio-ed the forgotten potion bottle from the nightstand on the other side of the bed and handed it to Harry who downed the dose immediately. Snape stroked the black hair one more time and made as if to get up, but a noise from Harry stopped him.

“What was that?” Snape enquired quietly.

“Please, don’t leave yet,” came the small voice.

Severus settled himself back down on the bed, leaning against the headboard, and gathered the child to him again. “All right, Harry, I’m not going anywhere.”

Harry sighed as he settled against his guardian’s chest, burrowing under the black robes and letting them engulf him; content in the strength the man exuded and the sharp potion smells that wafted from his robes and smelled oddly comforting to him. The combination pushed the wispy tendrils of the nightmare far away, as the potion began to relax and calm his mind. The long fingers that stroked his hair just felt right to him.

Lupin discretely left the room and went back to the lounge where he waited for Severus to appear. He didn’t have long to wait. Severus was back within fifteen minutes and took his seat, refilling his glass and taking a long drink before facing his guest.

“Lupin, you are certain of your facts?”

Remus nodded his head. “Yes, Severus.”

Snape closed his eyes and leaned back. “Oh, Merlin help us,” he mumbled.

“Severus, why is Harry staying with you? What was that crack about abuse? Who’s abused him?”

Severus snorted in dark humour without opening his eyes. “Petunia neglected her duties. Pot – huh! My son – was being abused, starved and beaten by that family. The wards went down a few days ago and Albus sent me to check as to the reason why.”

“Was this a recent development?” His protective wolfish self was rearing it’s head as it caught the scent of danger to a cub.

Remus jumped a bit when the black eyes flew open and nailed him with their glare. “No, Wolf, they’ve been doing it all along – for eleven solid years! It just came to a head the other night, and Petunia did nothing to stop it.” He closed his eyes again in weariness, seeming to deflate in his chair, as his head fell back against the cushion, dark hair splayed outward, as if an India ink bottle had been tipped over onto the fabric.

“So, you are watching him?” Lupin enquired.

“I’m his official guardian now.” He gave a mirthless chuckle at the irony of the situation. “I’m the only one capable of it,” he snarled, eyes still closed.

“Are you going to tell him? He deserves to know,” asked Remus after a long moment.

Severus finally dropped his chin and looked over at the other man. “I’m going to have to, won’t I – those charms won’t last forever.”

“Actually,” Remus leaned in, “the changes should start appearing quite soon. Noticed anything different since the weekend?”

Severus nodded distractedly. “More of an interest in his studies and today he brewed a potion to near perfection – something he was unable to do last term. And his hair… his hair seems less… messy!” He grimaced to himself.

Lupin relaxed back in his chair. “Then it has begun; Lily figured it wouldn’t last past his twelfth birthday – if it wasn’t removed before then. He’ll start physically changing even more over the next month.” He grinned as Severus served him a dark look. “Oh, trust me, Severus – he does look like you; I saw him before Lily cast the charms. There is no doubt he is a Snape.”

He chuckled as Snape touched his hooked nose in reflection. “No, not your nose – that he got from Lily as well as his eyes.” Severus sighed gratefully, and Lupin chuckled again as he got up to pour himself a dram more of the wine. He tipped the bottle toward Severus’ direction in a silent enquiry, but Snape waved it off, so he poured his own portion and recapped the crystal decanter. As he did so, he gazed over at the Potions Master. “No, Harry gained your fingers, your hair colouring and the length in your face. It will be interesting to see how that has all manifested.” He sat back down in the chair to nurse his drink.

“I’ll have to tell Albus at some point, I suppose,” Snape said after a few moments. “And McGonagall and Pomfrey,” he added wearily.

Quirking his head, Remus stared at Severus. “With the changes, everyone will see he is yours by September first.”

“That soon?” The dark haired man paled even further than his normal shade of dungeon white.

The silence stretched out between the two men as they each contemplated the news they had each learned that evening; the only sound in the room were the logs spitting and hissing in the fireplace as the flames danced merrily, unaware of the paradigm shift occurring this night.

Remus finally broke the silence. “What are you going to do about the Dursleys?”

“Turn them over to the Muggle authorities,” his companion said wearily. “Pomfrey is drawing up a report of her findings and will turn that information over to the child welfare department. We are including some journals from Arabella who was watching Harry for Dumbledore. She had reported a lot of neglect and abuse to Dumbledore and he had waved it off. I, on the other hand, plan to take matters into my hands.”

 “What do you have in mind for the Muggles?” Remus was frankly curious; over the years he had become well acquainted with the fact that an angry Snape was a dangerous Snape, and Severus was obviously seething underneath his cool, Slytherin exterior over what the Muggles had done to his son.

“Oh, a word here and there in the right ears…” Severus intimated in his silkiest of tones that caused Remus to shiver at just the thought of what Snape could do in retaliation. “We have another, more immediate, complication, however,” Snape pointed out. “Lucius is up to something.”

“How do you know? I mean, other than the fact that Malfoy lives for schemes,” he snorted.

“That’s how this all came to a head,” Severus began to explain. “Lucius’ house-elf, Dobby, showed up at Privet Drive to warn Harry that he would be in danger if he returned to Hogwarts. Harry refused, of course, and Dobby retaliated. Of course Dursley thought Harry had sabotaged his dinner party and took his rage out on the boy.”

“That’s when the wards fell?” the werewolf guessed.

“Mmm, hmmm…” Snape agreed thoughtfully.

“Do you know what he is planning?”

“No idea, but I have a meeting with him later on this week; I hope to ferret something out then,” he conceded.

“What about Albus, then; why did he wave off Arabella’s reports?”

“I have my suspicions, Lupin, and I don’t like them at all. I haven’t confronted him yet – I’m still gathering information – but when I do, he will have a lot to answer for,” was the curt reply. “I’m still angry at him for not checking on the boy earlier, not taking Figg’s reports to heart, nor taking our concerns seriously last term. I’ll deal with him later.”

Lupin shrugged. “It’s your decision; but you know he’ll figure it out before too long.”

Severus gave a slight nod in agreement. Oh, he knew – Dumbledore was too clever by half. He needed to discover Albus’ motives for ignoring all the signs. Remus finally stood, quaffing the last of his wine in one swift move and setting the glass on the mantel. “I better get going, I need to leave before sunrise for my next mission. You know how to get in touch with me if you need any help with Harry?”

Severus gazed at the man from where he sat for a long moment, and then nodded his thanks. He stayed there, as Lupin left the apartment, staring into the fire. It wasn’t until the flames had been reduced to mere embers, glowing on the hearth, that he finally got up, vanished the drinking paraphernalia and headed for his bedroom – after checking one last time on his… son.

When he entered his own bedroom, he sat down on the bed and picked up his picture of Lily in her wedding outfit.

“So, you had one last surprise for me, my darling. And what a surprise! Will you forgive me for last year? Will he? What am I supposed to do, Lils – how am I supposed to be a father?” He clutched the photo to his chest for a moment before setting it gently back down on the nightstand. “Help me, Lily; help me figure out what to do!”

Chapter End Notes:
This is my last bow toward the Severitus challenge - after this all bets are off. *Evil Snicker*. Your reviews have been amazing, thank you so much!