Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I still don't own anything

AngelAuthor14 is still an awesome beta reader
The Letter

Dear Severus,

When you read this you will be my son's legal father, Fate and the Council have told me so. I need to explain some things to you, things that you don't know.

Two weeks before Harry's birthday Merlin came to me, and took me to the Council. Fate explained to me that he could not change the future, James and I were supposed to die when we did; however, it was not Harry's time. He is there for a very important reason.  This is why the Avada Kedavra curse did not work on him but rebounded and vanquished Voldemort. I know that everyone is convinced that he survived because of my love, but many mothers have given their lives in failed attempts to save their children. Please know, my dear Severus, that it was fate, all of it was fate.

I found out that Dumbledore intended to leave my son at Petunia's house and begged the Council to intervene. You know her Severus you know her well. I could not leave things as they were; I had to protect my child.

Severus, I know how you felt about me. I always loved you but I was in love with James. You were my first and best friend, both in and out of Hogwarts. You helped me so many times when Petunia was giving me grief about magic and other things too. I could always talk to you about anything, important or trivial. I have missed you so much these last few years and now Voldemort is to kill James and I and we will never have a chance to talk again.

I asked the Council to send Harry to you and to urge you to adopt him. You are the only person I can trust to raise him to be the man I know he can be. I know too that you will grow to love the little scamp as if he were your own son. I understand that at first you will think of James when you think of Harry but that will pass and you will look at Harry with love and with pride for all of his accomplishments, which are fated to be many.

Because I was determined to watch over my child the Council helped me with a spell. It is ancient magic, and could be considered by some to be dark. Dark or not, I didn't care; I have to watch over him, and help you with him. Open the box that came with this letter and put on the medallion that you will find in there. This will make it possible for me to know when I am needed and I will come.

Severus, I cannot tell you the future but know that you are not fated to spend your life alone. You will have the love of my child and the love of your own children. There is a woman out there who is right for you and you will be meeting her soon. Don't close yourself off from her when she appears in your life my old friend; open your mind and your heart. You will never regret it.

Please give Harry a kiss from me when you put him to bed and tell him how much he is loved.

Yours,

Lily

Severus opened the small box and through his tears he saw a gold and silver medallion on a gold chain. In the middle of the medallion was a blue phoenix, just like the one on the floor of the council chamber. Putting the medallion over his head he felt a wave of magic engulf him.

Morning found him still sitting, watching the fire, and thinking about Lily and Fate.

Chapter End Notes:
Another short one, but I didn't want anything to take the focus off of the letter.