Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 1

Harry Potter stared at the neat scrawl covering the small piece of parchment and he felt his heart sink, had Dumbledore discovered the secret he had tried so hard to hide? He re-read the note for the fifth time.

Harry,

Please come to my office after your Divination lesson so that we can discuss your options for this summer as the Dursleys are unable to provide accommodation due to your Aunt’s illness which I am sure you know all about. They are going to stay with her and seem adamant that you may not accompany them.

Dumbledore.

P.S My new favourite sweets are Mint Humbugs.

Perhaps Dumbledore didn’t know about the abuse but how did he know the Dursleys weren’t going to be there? They wouldn’t have told him, would they? They normally just left Harry alone. His Aunt was ill? That must be Aunt Marge, he couldn’t stop the smile that broke over his face, no he hadn’t known but it hadn’t half cheered him up now that he did know! He immediately brightened up, Dumbledore probably had no idea what really went on at the Dursley household and if he came after Divination then he would miss potions.

The letter wasn’t as bad as he had first feared. Maybe it was the best thing that had happened to him in a long time. If he couldn’t stay with the Dursleys then that meant he had to stay with someone else which was surely the only thing Dumbledore wanted to discuss, maybe he could stay with the Weasleys!

He was still smiling when he entered the Divination classroom and flopped down next to Ron.

“You look happy,” His friend remarked.

“The Dursleys can’t look after me over the summer,” Harry said cheerfully.

“Cool! you can stay with me!” Ron answered excitedly.

This was just the reaction Harry had been hoping for and he felt his smile stretching even wider. He was just staring out of the window imagining all the stuff he could do over the summer if he stayed with the Weasleys when his view was obscured by the midriff of his other best friend, Hermione Granger.

“Guess what!” Hermione said excitedly.

“What?” Harry said quickly, he wanted her to hurry up and tell him so that he could tell her his news.

“I got an O on my Arithmancy homework!” She said happily.

“Merlin, what a surprise,” Ron muttered sarcastically.

“Oh! be quiet, Ron,” Hermione snapped her good mood deteriorating. “If you actually tried with your homework, you would get outstandings as well.”

“Well, maybe I have better things to do,” Ron retorted.

“What could you possibly be doing that is more important than your education?” Hermione argued.

“Organising Harry coming this summer,” Ron returned.

Harry inwardly sighed, there went his good news. The first time he had something interesting to tell and someone else had told it before he had had the chance.

“You’re going to Ron’s this summer?” Hermione asked turning to Harry wide-eyed.

Harry wondered if she was upset that they had been planning something without her.

“Erm…maybe,” Harry answered nervously.

“Maybe?” Hermione said critically.

“Well, the Dursleys can’t take me over the summer so I have to go somewhere else and so I thought-”

“Why can’t you go to the Dursleys?” Hermione interrupted.

Harry sighed inwardly, this was one of the problems of having a female best friend. Hermione always had to ask questions, normally questions that Harry really didn’t want to answer. Why couldn’t she just accept that he couldn’t go there like Ron had done.

“My aunt is ill,” Harry replied simply and tried to look as if he was engrossed in his tea cup as Professor Trelawney walked dangerously near.

“So your Aunt and Uncle are going to spend the summer with her?” Hermione asked.

Harry nodded, not taking his eyes off the tea leaves mashed against the bottom of his cup.

“Is your cousin going?” Hermione didn’t seem to be taking the hint.

Harry nodded again.

“Then why can’t you go?” Hermione whispered as Trelawney sat at the table next to theirs.

Harry shrugged, the less he said the faster she was likely to get the hint.

“Just leave him alone, Hermione,” Ron ordered. “pass me your cup, Harry.”

Harry shoved his cup across the table, grateful for a reason to leave the rather difficult ‘conversation’ he was having with Hermione.

“Hmmm…” Ron pondered. “I can’t really tell what it is.”

“Just make it up,” Harry said rubbing his forehead tiredly and reaching over to grab a quill so that he could jot down whatever Ron made up.

“Just write the grim and she will be satisfied,” Hermione said shooting a glare at Trelawney who was now at the front of the room.

Harry did as she suggested trying to conceal a grin as his teacher read it and made some grave comment. Ron and Hermione had only just jotted down their own made up fortunes when the bell rang.

“Don’t forget to tell Dumbledore that you want to come home with me,” Ron shouted as Harry made him way towards the headmaster’s office.

“Good luck,” Hermione added.

The fact that Hermione thought he needed luck made Harry feel more worried than he previously had been.

The closer Harry got to Dumbledore’s office the queasier he felt and the more misgivings he got about the actual topic they were going to discuss. All too soon he found himself outside the office door. He stared at the big gargoyle outside for a good ten minutes while he screwed up his courage.

“Are you going to say the password or just stand out here all day?” The gargoyle said irritably.

“Mint Humbugs,” Harry said weakly.

The gargoyle swung open and Harry made his way shakily to the next door. The only door which stood between him and the headmaster who may or may not know about the abuse Harry had suffered at the hands of his Aunt and Uncle. He raised his hand and knocked at the door hesitantly.

“Come in,” A voice called out.

Harry took a deep breath before swinging the door open and stepping inside. The office was as cluttered as usual, every shelf was lined with odd contraptions and weird and wonderful things.

“Ah, Harry my dear boy. How are you?” Dumbledore asked, his eyes twinkling.

“Fine thank you, Sir,” Harry replied feeling the knot in his stomach loosen slightly.

“Do sit down,” Dumbledore requested.

Harry obeyed and looked up at his headmaster expectantly but Dumbledore didn’t seem too eager to begin the conversation as he was just studying Harry over his glasses.

“Erm… you wanted to see me, Sir?” Harry said nervously.

“Oh yes, I did. I wanted to discuss this summer’s arrangements with you,” Dumbledore said peering down his nose at Harry. “Do you have any idea why your relatives will not allow you to accompany them on their visit to your Aunt?”

“N-n-no Sir,” Harry lied.

He wiped his sweaty hands on his trousers and tried to look nonchalant. Did Dumbledore suspect anything? Harry needed to change the subject, and fast.

“So where am I going to go?” Harry asked quickly.

Dumbledore didn’t answer, he was staring at Harry suspiciously. Harry’s heart beat faster, Dumbledore did suspect something. He made one last desperate attempt to change the subject.

“Could I go to the Weasleys?”

“I’m afraid you can’t, Harry,” Dumbledore spoke at last.

Harry blinked in surprise. He couldn’t? But if he couldn’t go the Weasleys were could he go?

“The Grangers?” Harry said in desperation.

He would rather have Hermione nagging him about homework all holiday than be with someone he didn’t know.

“The Grangers are muggles, Harry. You have to be with wizards,” Dumbledore saw Harry open his mouth to argue that the Weasleys were wizards and quickly added “powerful wizards.”

“But I stay with the Dursleys the rest of the time and they are Muggles,” Harry argued.

“When you are at your Aunt and Uncle’s house you are protected by the blood bond,” Dumbledore answered.

“Who am I going to stay with then?” Harry asked, sinking down in his chair slightly. Why couldn’t he just stay with his friends?

“You will stay with an Order member,” Dumbledore announced lightly.

“Order?” Harry repeated in confusion.

“The Order Of The Phoenix, combined of all the most powerful light wizards who are committed to bringing the Dark Lord down. Of course there hasn’t been any meetings since you were a baby.”

“Who’s in this order thingy then?” Harry asked suspiciously.

“Well, I am of course,” Dumbledore began.

“Can I stay with you?” Harry asked eagerly.

“I’m afraid there are a lot of things I need to sort out this summer,” Dumbledore said smiling pityingly at Harry.

Harry’s heart sank. He wished he could have just gone with Sirius when he had to run off last week. At least Sirius wanted him, he offered him house room. Harry would have been going home with him this summer if the stupid ministry would just believe his innocence. But Sirius was off flying Buckbeak in some far away place and Harry was stuck back at Hogwarts having an uncomfortable conversation with his headmaster. Harry sighed audibly.

“I am sorry, Harry,” Dumbledore broke into Harry’s thoughts.

“Is Professor Lupin a member?” Harry asked sitting up as the idea took form in his head.

Lupin was just the sort of person who would fight against Voldermort and he had been Harry’s favourite professor. It had hurt more than Harry would admit when Lupin had left last week.

“He is,” Dumbledore confirmed with a nod “however werewolves are not permitted by the Ministry to be guardians for any amount of time, even just a summer.”

Harry felt his heart fall all the way down to his feet. He had now named all of the people he wouldn’t mind taking care of him. If none of those could take care of him than who would?

“Who else is in this order-thing then?” Harry asked dejectedly.

“Well, most of the order are now deceased. There are a few remaining order members but they are all otherwise engaged for the summer. In fact there is only one person available,” Dumbledore answered.

“Is it someone I know?” Harry asked suspiciously. Why did Dumbledore look like he wasn’t keen to share the identity of this person?

“Oh yes, Harry. You know him very well,” Dumbledore now looked slightly amused.

“Him?” Harry jumped on the piece of information Dumbledore had accidentally provided him with.

So his temporary guardian was male. He wasn’t sure whether to feel disappointed or elated, there was both good and bad points attached to each gender. He wasn’t even sure which he would pick had he been given a choice. Females tended to mother him which was certainly something he missed yet he felt slightly foreign around them, he couldn’t really relate to them yet having a male guardian would remind him of his Uncle who had domineered over him so much that he now believed all male guardians would be like him.

“Harry? Harry?” Dumbledore’s voice broke into Harry’s thoughts.

“Sorry,” Harry apologised.

“I was offering to tell you the identity of your new guardian,” Dumbledore informed him looking slightly miserable at the thought of sharing the information with Harry.

“Oh yes please!” Harry said eagerly.

He couldn’t think of who else he knew that would have been of age at the time of his birth and would risk their life fighting the dark arts.

“You will be staying with,” Dumbledore paused as if to mount suspense though Harry was sure that was not really the reason. “Severus Snape.”

Harry jumped to his feet so quickly that he almost knocked Dumbledore’s desk over. “No!” He said incensed.

Dumbledore merely bowed his head apologetically though Harry caught sight of his face as he did so and could have sworn that he had a big grin on his face.

“No!” He repeated in horror.

“I’m afraid so,” Dumbledore said, lifting his head.

Snape had been fighting against Voldermort? But Snape was a death eater!

“But, but, but…” Harry stuttered trying to find the words to make his headmaster see how ludicrous his plan was. “He hates me.”

“Hate is a strong word, Harry,” Dumbledore said seriously “You may not see eye to eye on some things-”

“He picks on me!” Harry interrupted.

“Well, he will be taking you in over the summer,” Dumbledore disregarded Harry’s previous statement.

“Surely he hasn’t agreed to this?” Harry said desperately. He was certain that his potions master would think the idea as ludicrous as him.

Dumbledore looked at Harry as if he had just told a highly amusing joke. “My dear boy! He has no more choice than you do.”

Harry’s mouth dropped open. “So he doesn’t want me and your still making me go? He will kill me!”

“Nonsense, Harry,” Dumbledore said firmly.

“The whole idea is ridiculous!” Harry exclaimed then immediately bit his tongue, that came out a lot ruder than he intended. He hoped the headmaster wouldn’t tell him off, nothing would be more embarrassing then that, except perhaps living with his potions teacher who happened to hate his guts.

“Well Professor Snape agrees so it seems you have something in common,” Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling again.

“Please, can’t I stay with someone else. Anyone else,” Harry begged.

“I’m sure you and Professor Snape will have a lot of fun,” Dumbledore said reassuringly.

Harry stared at him in total amazement. The rumours were true, Dumbledore was mad. Absolutely barmy.

“Fun!?!” He repeated.

“Absolutely,” Dumbledore smiled “now, I really think that it is time for you to return to your lesson. On the last day of term when everyone goes on the train you will come up to my office where Professor Snape will meet you and then you will floo to his house.”

“House?” Harry said weakly.

The last bit of hope that he had clung to was that at least he would still be at Hogwarts and so he could explore passageways and keep as much out of the way of his professor’s way as possible but if he went to a house then he would be stuck with his teacher all summer. There would be nowhere to hide in a little house, being in close confinement with his worst enemy was hardly the way Harry wished to spend his summer. He bet the house would be as dark and depressing as Snape himself.

Dumbledore looked at him strangely. “Yes, you will be accompanying Professor Snape to his house”

“Oh,” Harry said flatly, he wasn’t sure exactly what else he could say to that.

“So hadn’t you better get to class?” Dumbledore asked brightly.

Harry nodded and got up reluctantly. He paused just in front of the office door.

“Is there no one else?” He asked miserably.

“I’m afraid not, but I’m sure that the summer will give you and Professor Snape a chance to bond and make friends,” Dumbledore answered encouragingly.

“And I’m a flobber worm,” Harry muttered. Before turning around and fleeing the room in case his headmaster had heard him.

He glanced at a clock on the way to the potions classroom. There was ten minutes left of the lesson. He was certainly in no hurry to see his guardian to-be. He dawdled as much as possible but he still found himself going down the dungeon stairs far earlier than he would have liked. He was kind of hoping just the walk would take him the remaining ten minutes.

He hesitated before pushing the heavy dungeon door open, Snape was over at his desk and didn’t look up as he came into the room. The rest of the class were slaving over hot cauldrons trying to get whatever ridiculously hard potion Snape had set right. He scanned the room and soon found the bob of red hair that he was looking for. He walked over to Ron as fast as he could without catching his potion teacher’s attention. He was sat next to Hermione but there was an empty seat on his other side which Harry flopped into gratefully.

“What did he say?” Ron asked excitedly.

Even Hermione looked up from her potion with interest.

“He said I couldn’t,” Harry muttered despondently.

“What!?! Why not?” Ron demanded.

“Because Harry needs a powerful witch or wizard that can protect him,” Hermione said wisely.

“Are you saying my family aren’t powerful?” Ron snapped.

“Of course not, Ron,” Hermione said soothingly “I just meant that Harry needed someone who had insight into the dark arts as well as the light and your parents certainly aren’t into dark arts are they, Ron?”

Ron shook his head looking slightly mollified.

“So who are you staying with?” Hermione pressed.

Harry pretended to be really interested in Ron’s potion which was bright blue and though he had no idea what they were supposed to be brewing it still looked wrong. He peeked into Hermione’s cauldron, it was pale pink. Ron’s was definitely wrong.

“Harry!” Hermione nudged him hard.

“I think your potions gone a little wrong, Ron” Harry said ignoring his other friend. The last thing he wanted to do was tell his friends who his temporary guardian was going to be, it would be completely humiliating.

“Harry!” Hermione tried again.

Harry sighed, on the other hand nobody could make him feel better like his friends could and at least then he had someone to moan at.

“Snape” He muttered.

Ron dropped the vial he was trying to scoop his potion into.

Snape?” He said in horror.

Hermione just pressed her lips together and cast reparo on Ron’s vial.

“As in Severus Snape? Potions teacher at Hogwarts? That Snape?” Ron babbled.

“How many other Snapes are there?” Harry said moodily.

“That’s just harsh! Complain, refuse, do anything but don’t go home with him,” Ron instructed, his eyes wide.

Harry groaned, okay maybe his friends weren’t making him feel better. Ron seemed to be taking the news worse than he was and Hermione just wasn’t saying anything. The bell shrilled in the distance and everyone began to pack away frantically. Harry looked up just in time to catch his potions master’s eye. His teacher gave him a look of pure loathing, he had never smiled at him or anything but he had never given him a look of such hatred either. The summer certainly wasn’t going to be fun.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you think!