Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

Harry waved glumly at the carriages as they transported students to the Hogwarts Express. He would do anything to be sitting in one of those carriages with his friends. He could see Ron standing on a seat so that he could wave to Harry.

Harry had to choke back a chuckle as the carriage hit a rock and Ron flailed helplessly before falling on top of Seamus Finnegan. He immediately felt a little bit better, trust Ron to cheer him up by doing something stupid. Harry stood on tiptoes and he could just see the top of Hermione’s bushy brown hair as she argued with Lavender Brown presumably about something school-related.

When the carriage finally trundled out of sight Harry began to trudge to Dumbledore’s office. He walked as slowly as possible, so slow that at one point he was hardly moving. But eventually he was muttering the password to the gargoyle again. He pushed open the office door reluctantly and found himself face to face with his nemesis.

“So now he wanders in, one hour after he was due but Mr Potter can’t risk messing up his hair by rushing can he? Oh no, not the famous Potter. He will just inconvenience everyone else by making them wait for him, just like his father.”

“Now, now, Severus,” Professor Dumbledore said mildly.

Harry shot his potions teacher a look before throwing himself onto the chair behind the headmasters desk.

“If you did that on one of my chairs I would make sure you couldn’t sit for a week, Potter.” Snape hissed.

Harry opened his mouth to retort when he was cut off.

“I’m sure Harry won’t give you any trouble at all,” Dumbledore said idly.

“Potter could cause trouble in a cardboard box,” Snape snapped “Now as much as I would love to stand here talking about Potter’s inadequacies I am already running late thanks to someone.” His beetle black eyes bored into Harry as though he wanted to cast Avada Kedavra right then.

“Oh yes of course!” Dumbledore said cheerfully. “Be good, Harry. Happy holidays!”

Neither Severus or Harry looked as if they were about to have a happy holiday, both of them had the appearance of men who were about to be fed to the lions.

“Come on then, Potter,” Snape snapped and pushed the thirteen year old towards the fire.

This seemed most unfair to Harry considering Snape had never actually said that they were going to be flooing and he certainly hadn’t said where they were flooing to.

“Are you incapable of speech, Potter? Surely even an idiot like you knows how to floo. Walk up to the flames, throw the powder in and say where you want to go,” Snape explained impatiently.

“Of course I know how to speak! And how to floo! But surely an idiot like you has realised that you haven’t even told me where we are going,” Harry realised the second the words were out of his mouth that he had gone too far.

Snape looked livid and his wand hand twitched. “This is what I mean about the boy, Albus. Did you just hear him? He had the cheek to call me an idiot!”

“That was very rude, Harry,” Dumbledore said quietly.

“He called me one first!” Harry argued.

“We are not in pre-school, Potter,” Snape sniped.

Harry blushed.

“You will apologise,” Dumbledore commanded gently.

Harry blinked, apologise? Surely Snape should apologise too, he had the sense not to push his luck though.

“Sorry,” He muttered looking at his feet.

“That was not a proper apology. Do it again and look at me this time,” Snape demanded.

Harry’s face burned, this time in anger. Who did Snape think he was? He glanced at Dumbledore but he was twirling a quill in his hand and certainly didn’t look as though he was about to interfere.

Harry looked straight into his potions teachers eyes. “I’m sorry, okay?” He spat.

“Again, Mr Potter. This time with less venom,” Snape looked as if he was starting to enjoy himself.

“I think that will be quite enough, Severus,” Dumbledore said flashing a quick glance at Harry who looked absolutely furious.

“You won’t get away with speaking like that once you get into my house, Potter,” Snape snarled.

Harry bit his tongue to keep hold of the insult he was desperate to hurl at the aggravating man.

“We are now running even later, thanks to you,” Snape said unfairly. “We are going to Snape’s Manor, now go

Harry fought the urge to refuse and walked to the fire, his fingers shook slightly as he grabbed some floo powder and he hesitated before throwing it into the flames.

“Snape’s Manor,” He shouted before stepping into the fire.

--

Harry stumbled slightly as he came out of the fireplace. He surveyed the room, slightly surprised to see that the room he had landed in was nicely furnished with shiny wooden furniture and little vases of flowers on a few surfaces. He didn’t have long to ponder though because Snape landed behind him and pushed him forwards.

Harry turned round and glared at him but Snape wasn’t paying attention. He merely walked over to the table in the centre of the room and sat down. Harry stared at him curiously, was he just going to pretend that he wasn’t there? He narrowed his eyes at his teacher, what happened to being in such a big rush? Why could they not be late? Snape evidently just wanted to make as much fuss as possible. He wasn’t sure whether to go and explore the house or just stay there staring at his potions teacher.

He was still deciding when Snape suddenly clicked his fingers. He wondered if that was perhaps Snape’s way of getting his attention. He scowled and was just about to inform his new guardian that he was not a dog when a curious figure hurried into the room.

The figure was very small, he came up to about Harry’s knee and he had rather large ears and big eyes which were currently shining with glee. Harry recognised his species immediately; he was a house elf just like Dobby.

“Margie did not know Master Snape had returned, sir. If she had she would have been down straight away to welcome him. Margie hopes Master Snape is not angry and had a good year and…”

The house elf’s eye fell on Harry and her voice immediately tailed away.

“Master Snape has returned with a guest?” Margie inquired.

Snape had been regarding his house elf with bored amusement up until this point but now he sat up slightly.

“This is Potter, he is not a guest. He is an uninvited burden which Dumbledore has seen fit to saddle me with,” He spat.

Margie’s eyes grew as she looked at Harry and nodded to her master.

“Show Potter his room and inform him that he is to stay there until I come for him, he may not leave the room under any circumstances and he must not touch anything,” Snape told Margie with his eyes boring into Harry.

Harry felt a slight bubble of rage in his stomach, why couldn’t Snape tell him himself instead of telling his house elf what to tell him when he was right next to him.

“This way Mr Potter,” The house elf said shyly and began to lead the way upstairs.

Harry shot one last glare at his teacher before following the little creature. Margie walked fast and Harry found himself almost jogging to keep up with her. They went up a flight of stairs then through a little lounge and then down a dark corridor and then through a door which appeared out of nowhere as they reached it. Finally they went down the darkest corridor yet and then the small creature stopped so suddenly that Harry nearly tripped over her.

“Mr Potters room,” Margie announced.

Harry stepped through the little door and his scowl became more pronounced as he surveyed his room. The walls were painted bright Slytherin green, the carpet was bright Slytherin green, the wardrobe was bright Slytherin green even the ceiling was Slytherin green. Harry had been studying all the rooms and corridors they had come through or passed on the way to his room and not a single one of them had been green. Snape had done this on purpose.

He turned round to demand that the house elf show him the way back to Snape so that he could tell him exactly what was on his mind but he found that the house elf had already left. He sighed and flopped down on the bed, he bounced slightly and sat up in surprise. The bed was soft. He was sure that it was going to be really hard with springs poking in his back just like his bed at the Dursleys had been. If his days were going to be miserable at least he would have some nice nights.

There was not much to do in his room; all of the cupboards were open and Harry could see that they were empty, Harry’s trunk was just filled the clothes and Hedwig was asleep with her head under her wing. He wondered how long Snape was going to leave him there.

Snape was obviously doing this on purpose, he had even told Harry that he couldn’t touch anything. What was he supposed to do? He began to rifle through his trunk, Snape couldn’t possibly mean that he couldn’t touch his own things, could he? His trunk had absolutely nothing that he could occupy himself with in fact other than clothes, his invisibility cloak and bits of useless junk there wasn’t much in there.

There was books but Harry was nowhere near desperate enough for that. He debated whether to put his invisibility cloak on and explore the house which looked very interesting to say the least but he quickly discarded that idea when he thought about what Snape would do if he caught him.

He finally reached the very bottom of his trunk and at last found something that he could actually use; A piece of old, strewn up parchment. Just perfect for a letter to one of his friends. He debated who he should send it to. Ron was generally useless at bad situations but he would also sympathise with Harry and try to cheer him up by calling Snape all the words under the sun. Hermione would be sympathetic too but she would probably tell him to give Snape a chance and if he was bored to read a book. In fact Hermione would probably tell him to consult a book about the whole Snape problem, she seemed to think books solved everything.

In the end he decided that a nice name calling contest with Ron would cheer him up most, he could appeal for some sort of game to play while he was stuck up here as well. Cheering up slightly he found his quill and began to write.

Ron,

Well I’m here and its even worse than I thought. He is making me stay in my bedroom and do nothing, I’m not even allowed to touch anything! Is there anything you could send me?

In Dumbledore’s office he kept getting little digs at me as well. He’s even worse than at school and that’s saying something! His house is alright though he has put me in a green bedroom, he definitely did that on purpose! It’s awful!

Wish I was at your house

Harry

P.S Can you send me some more parchment? This is the only bit I have and I don’t think that greasy bat is going to take me shopping anytime soon.

Harry had just finished the letter when he heard someone on the stairs. He had just enough time to stuff all of his things back into his trunk and put the letter under Hedwig’s cage for her to take later when the door opened.

“What have you been doing, Potter?” Snape asked suspiciously.

“Nothing,” Harry exclaimed defensively.

“I find that highly unlikely,” Snape said coldly.

They both just stared at each other, as if daring each other to blink first. It was Snape who eventually broke eye contact.

“Your tea is ready, come now or I will throw it away,” Snape ordered before disappearing downstairs.

Harry hurried after him as he had no idea which way it was to the kitchen, Snape walked fast but Harry managed to just keep him in sight. The dining room was quite big, the tables were oak and there were big candles sitting atop them. Harry looked around in awe, even the walls had wood panelling and they had elaborate little carvings on. It was nothing like Snape’s dungeon at Hogwarts. Harry hadn’t expected it to be just a dungeon but he had thought it would be dark, cold and depressing. He was just about to get a bit closer to a carving on his left, he couldn’t make up his mind whether it was a hippogriff or a phoenix, when Snape’s harsh voice brought him out of his thoughts.

“For Merlins sake, Potter. Sit down, I have waited around for you quite enough today without waiting even longer.”

Harry scowled but sat down without comment, he had bitten his tongue more often that day then the whole last year at Hogwarts put together.

To Harry’s surprise Snape served him quite a generous amount, the meal looked quite nice as well. Harry hadn’t been expecting slugs or anything but he had expected Snape to give him something he knew he couldn’t like after all he had done that with the bedroom. But Snape had given him chicken pie which happened to be one of Harry’s favourites, if Snape had known that he definitely wouldn’t have served it.

Harry carefully cut a neat chunk off his pie and studied it carefully.

“I haven’t poisoned it, Potter,” Snape said irritably.

Harry said nothing but popped the pie into his mouth. It tasted as nice as it looked. All was quiet for a few minutes then…

“Swallow what is in your mouth before you put more in, you disgusting child,” Snape barked.

Harry chewed obligingly. But it seemed as if Harry’s table manners were not up to the standard Snape wanted because all he heard was complaints for the whole meal.

“Sit up properly, Potter.”

“Don’t slouch.”

“Get your elbows off the table this instant!”

“Don’t put your knife in your mouth!”

“Don’t cram as much as you can in your mouth, Potter. Take it a forkful at a time.”

“You’re getting gravy all over the tablecloth!”

“Is chewing really such an alien concept to you, Potter?”

“Was that a whole potato you just put in your mouth?”

“Really Potter, sitting opposite you is putting me off my meal.”

“Do you have no table manners?”

“Don’t tilt your chair backwards!”

“How old are you, Potter? Don’t play with your food!”

“Eat more quietly.”

“Its considered rude to stare at people, Potter, so stop staring at me.”

“Don’t lean on the table.”

Whenever Harry tried to retaliate all he heard was; “Don’t talk with your mouth full!” So he quickly gave up. All in all he was glad when the meal was over.

The house elves began to clear away the table.

“Thank you,” Harry said politely, shooting a look at Snape. ‘See, I do have good manners’ he said silently.

“You will now go to bed, Potter.” Snape ordered.

“Its only seven o clock!” Harry exclaimed.

Snape raised one eyebrow slightly and Harry immediately decided that he definitely should be getting to bed now.

“Goodnight, Sir,” Harry said unconfidently.

“Goodnight, Potter,” Snape said more as a reflex than actually meaning it.

It had surprised him that Potter had even bothered to say goodnight but it surprised him even more that he had replied.

Meanwhile upstairs Harry was quickly pulling on his pyjamas before slipping into the soft bed. He had had quite enough of Snape for one day.

He huddled up in the soft bed and thought about the day. It hadn’t gone very well but it certainly could have gone worse. It was definitely better than the Dursleys, at least so far. Sure, Snape wasn’t very nice to him but he hadn’t hit him either and he did have a soft bed and nice meals. He couldn’t say that he was exactly enjoying his stay but he would take it over the Dursleys, and getting constantly beaten, any day.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review!