Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

Severus remained in his quarters for the next few hours – thinking, not sulking, he was quick to tell himself – but in the end he knew he had to do what Dumbledore instructed. Much as he would like to fortify himself for the ordeal with a glass of fire whiskey, he suspected that the odor of alcohol on his breath would not go over well with the Weasleys.

For a brief moment he considered showing up drunk, in the hopes that they would rush to Dumbledore, insisting he was an unfit guardian, but he reluctantly dismissed the idea. It would take no effort to convince the Weasleys of his unsuitability for the role, but Dumbledore was made of sterner stuff, and he would see right through Severus’ plan. Snape gnashed his teeth. Just his luck. He went from serving a near-omnipotent, egomaniacal lunatic to serving a near-omniscient, manipulative old coot.

Why couldn’t he have ended up like all the other Potion Masters? He read their letters to the Journal of Potion Educators. The other Potion Masters complained about how their headmasters didn’t provide them with enough room for their supplies or refused them funds for new cauldrons or were snippy about the occasional potion-related mishap. But no one else wrote in complaining about being compelled to adopt a prophesy-marked child or having to participate in setting up elaborate traps on school grounds for Dark Lords who were after a half-mythical treasure.

Severus mentally composed his letter: Dear JPE, I would be interested to learn how other Potion Masters balance their time commitments. I find it challenging to create new lesson plans and prepare for laboratory sessions while simultaneously spying for the Light. Does anyone have any helpful tips about combining Death Eater meetings with NEWTS prep? No, no one else seemed to have these problems. Lucky him.

He realized that the hour was getting late. He would have to do it now or explain his lapse to Dumbledore, and if he had to deal with one more twinkle or lemon drop, he would go stark, raving mad. Life in the bed next to the Longbottoms was looking more attractive by the day. He took a deep breath and activated the floo.

“Mrs Weasley?” he called out to the redhead bustling about the comfortably shabby living room.

“Yes? Why, Professor Snape!” Molly’s eyebrows rose in surprise, then drew down in a fearsome frown. “What did they do this time?”

“Surprisingly, I am not calling about the twins,” Snape replied drily. “May I come through?”

Molly’s look of surprise returned. “Of course.”

No sooner had he entered the Burrow than Molly Weasley had him ensconced in an armchair that was only slightly battered, with a cup of tea at his elbow. He struggled to hand back the plate of homemade biscuits. “Thank you, no,” he insisted as politely as he could through gritted teeth.

“Are you allergic to chocolate?” Molly asked sympathetically. “I have some peanut butter ones in the kitchen. Or would you prefer oatmeal raisin? Or shortbread? I could whip up some scones –“

No!” he caught himself and forced himself to abandon his “start listening to me or you will blow up your cauldron and I will feed your internal organs to the squid” tone. This was a parent, not a student. An annoying parent, to be sure, but a parent nonetheless. “I mean, nothing for me, thank you. I’m fine.”

Molly looked hurt. “You don’t like my cooking?”

Severus could feel his blood pressure rising as he grabbed a biscuit from the plate. “Mm. Delicious,” he snarled.

Molly smiled and sat down. “What can I do for you?”

“I have something I would like to discuss with you and your husband. Is he available?”

“Yes, he’s just in the back with Ginny, de-gnoming the garden. Can you give me some idea what this is about?”

“I think it would be best to explain it to both of you at once. And perhaps your daughter could be sent away for an hour or so?” He paused, thinking of how best to ensure her compliance without having to (a) explain more or (b) consume additional biscuits. “I am here at the Headmaster’s request.” More or less.

It was obvious that Molly was afire with curiosity, but as an old Order veteran, she responded predictably to Dumbledore’s name. “Of course.”

Within five minutes, Ginny had been dispatched to her grandmother’s via the floo, and Arthur, Molly, and Severus were gathered in the living room. “I apologize for disturbing you tonight – and sending Miss Weasley away – but I felt it best for our discussion that there was no chance of being overheard.”

Now both Weasleys were wearing expressions of concern as well as curiosity. “Is something wrong, Professor?” Arthur asked, brow creasing. “Are the boys all right?”

“Your children are all fine,” Snape assured him. “I am here to ask if you would like one more.”

Hm. That didn’t seem to come out properly. Now they were both staring at him with their mouths open. “Not full time,” he hastened to explain. “More on a short term lease.”

“You’re renting out children?” Molly asked, her voice rising to a squeak.

Arthur took her hand. “I’m sure it’s not what it sounds like, dear.”

Severus frowned. It wasn’t that complicated. Honestly – leave it to a bunch of Gryffindors to need everything spelled out. He decided to take it very slowly. “You have, I believe, met Mr Potter –“

“Harry?” Molly exclaimed in surprise. “That sweet little bespectacled boy? My heavens, what a lovely child!”

“Ron seems to have become friendly with him,” Arthur agreed. “And the twins and Percy also wrote, saying nice things. I understand he was sorted into Gryffindor.” The “of course” was politely withheld, given present company.

“Indeed,” Snape said flatly. “I discovered that Mr Potter’s home life is unacceptable, and so –“

“What do you mean?” Molly demanded. “Didn’t Dumbledore put him with his family after James and Lily were killed? I remember there was a big fuss because he wouldn’t tell anyone where Harry was, but he assured all of us that the child was safe.”

Severus smirked. “Apparently not. Albus made the absurd assumption that ties of blood are synonymous with ties of affection. The boy was placed with Muggle relatives who were – at the very least – both neglectful and abusive.”

Molly’s eyes grew wide. “Abusive? No! That poor child!” Arthur patted her shoulder, but he looked very grim.

“Does the Ministry know of this?” he asked.

Severus shrugged. “You may take that up with Albus, if you wish. My concern lies with Mr Potter’s current situation, not why he was allowed to remain with unsuitable guardians for the last decade.”

“So you want us to take Harry?” Arthur asked. Beside him, Molly stopped sniffling long enough to look up excitedly.

“Take Harry? Of course we will! I told Dumbledore ten years ago that we would be willing to –“

“I am not here to ask you to adopt Harry, nor even to become his guardians. Rather, I would like you to consider providing him with a regular destination he can visit for extended periods over his school holidays.”

Arthur glanced at his wife, then turned back to Severus. “I suspect from Ron’s letter that we’d be likely to do that anyway – given how well the two boys are getting on.”

Molly frowned. “Why can’t we adopt Harry? You just said he needs a home. If we don’t take him in, who will?”

“The Headmaster has another guardian in mind,” Severus hedged.

“Who?” Both Weasleys demanded.

“Me,” he replied coldly, hoping to avoid the inevitable reaction.

It was, as expected, inevitable. “YOU?!”

Molly recovered first. Ignoring Snape entirely, she turned to her husband. “That’s it. Dumbledore is senile. You’ll have to alert the Ministry in the morning.”

Arthur shot an apologetic glance at Snape. “Now, Molly, let’s not be hasty. I suppose that Professor Snape –“

“Arthur! He was a Death Eater. And that’s who Dumbledore wants to put in charge of Harry? The Boy Who Lived?”

“He was a spy,” her husband pointed out. “Dumbledore said so.”

Molly snorted. “Eventually. Maybe. But he bears the Dark Mark. You think he got that deliberately, just so he could be a spy? Who are his people, anyway?”

“I think he’s one of the Princes, isn’t he?” Arthur had by now followed Molly’s lead and forgotten Severus completely.

“Well! What else do you need to know? The Princes were all Darker than pitch and even crazier than the Blacks!” Molly paused. “Well, except for that one poor girl. What was her name? The one who was quite a few years ahead of us. Elizabeth? Elaine?”

“That was my mother,” Snape said with what he felt was admirable restraint.

“But there was something wrong even with her,” Molly went on, tapping her chin. “Let me see, what was it? What was it? Oh yes, she married that horrible Muggle.”

“That was my father,” Snape pointed out.

“Yes, well, it would have been, wouldn’t it?” Molly agreed distractedly. “Oh, Arthur, this is terrible. We can’t possibly allow Dumbledore to go ahead with this. Harry needs love and family and –“

“Potter needs attention and consistency and guidance.” Snape had had enough of being ignored. “None of which he is likely to get in this household amongst your litter of children.”

“Well!” Molly glared at him. “I like that! You have the nerve to come in here and insult us even as you ask for a favor?”

Arthur patted her hand. “Let’s hear him out, Molly. He’s right that Harry may need more attention than he’s likely to get in a big family like ours.”

Snape gave a jerky nod of formal thanks to Arthur. “Exactly. I meant no offense to you, but while your home is well suited to model healthy family dynamics for Harry, he also will require someone whose sole focus is his welfare. Given his – difficult – background,” Molly began to sniffle again, “it would be unfair to place him in such a large family where his unique needs might be unmet. By having the Burrow remain a special treat for him, he will learn the necessary lessons without having to give up the attention that he can receive as an only child in – “ he swallowed hard “ – my household.”

“And why are you willing to take on this role?” Arthur asked, giving Severus an odd look.

“My reasons are none of your concern,” Snape snapped.

“Actually, they are,” Arthur shot back, undaunted. “You are asking us to – in essence – co-parent with you, and a child like Harry will have needs that are complicated not only by his background but also by his likely future.” Snape frowned, but couldn’t deny that Weasley’s delicate implication of Death Eater interest in Harry was well-founded. “We need to know what we are getting into.” Seeing that Severus remained unconvinced, Arthur grinned. “Besides, if we are going to play such a big role in Harry’s life, then I’m sure we’ll hear plenty about you. And since most of his comments will likely be couched as complaints, it would be helpful if we’re in a position to defend you.”

Snape’s face fell into a ferocious scowl. How dare Weasley suggest that Potter would have anything to complain about!

“Severus,” Arthur said, highly amused. “Every child complains about his parents. It’s normal. But if we are all going to survive Harry’s adolescence, then we will need to work together. Trust us on this.”

Snape didn’t like it, but he had to admit the older man had a point. “I agreed to do this – reluctantly! – because I have a certain… familiarity… with what Potter has gone through.” He glared at the couple, daring them to ask for details, but both were quiet. “In addition, I was very close to Lily Evans. We grew up in the same neighborhood. We were friends until near the end of our Hogwarts days.”

“Oh dear,” Molly said sympathetically. “Did James come between you?”

Snape swallowed his emotions and looked away from her kind eyes. “In a matter of speaking. I – I was extremely foolish. Our friendship never fully recovered.” He took a deep breath. “But I am willing to take on the guardianship of the boy. With your assistance as well as my own, I anticipate that he will be able to recover from his treatment by those Muggles,” he spat the word. Molly and Arthur exchanged a meaningful glance. Severus wasn’t sure whether they took his venom as proof of his residual Death Eater sympathies or his apparent devotion to the child. Perhaps they were deciding that so long as he was devoted to the child, some Death Eater tendencies were a good thing, particularly when dealing with the Muggles who had mistreated him.

“There is one other matter we must discuss,” he added quickly, eager to change the topic of conversation. “There will be a stipend associated with your agreeing to participate in this plan.”

As expected, both bridled. “We don’t need to be bribed to help Harry!” Molly said indignantly.

Snape sighed. Gryffindors were so predictable. “It is not a bribe. It is a source of funds to defray the additional expenses that you will incur.”

“We can mana-“

“Harry will need to be clothed and fed. If you wish to go on family excursions, there will be the cost of his participation and travel to consider.”

“We would never exclude –“

“You will do Harry no favors if you treat him like a charity case,” Snape said forbiddingly. “This way, it is clear that there is a mutual benefit.”

“He’ll imagine that we’re only doing it for the money!” Molly argued.

“You will – unlike the Muggles – be expected to provide an accounting of the funds. It will be clear to Harry, should the issue arise, that you are not benefiting financially from his presence. You are merely not suffering additional hardship because of it.”

Arthur and Molly exchanged a long look. Snape tried his best not to roll his eyes in exasperation.

“Well… I suppose we could agree to accept a small allowance that would be spent on Harry.”

“Or for his benefit - for example, it could be used towards your grocery budget or upkeep on the house as he will be living here at times,” Snape pointed out, heroically refraining from mentioning several obvious areas where funds were sorely needed, starting with the lumpy armchair in which he was currently seated. “And if you don’t accept, I will find a different family.”

Molly sat bolt upright. “You wouldn’t!”

Snape just looked at her. She glanced worriedly at Arthur.

“All right. We agree,” Arthur nodded.

“And we will need to strengthen the wards around the Burrow,” Snape said. “I am aware that they are already quite strong, given your war records, but with The Boy Who Lived in frequent residence…”

“No arguments from us on that one,” Arthur said promptly. “Should we ask Bill and the goblins or would Dumbledore prefer to do it himself?”

“I will confer with the Headmaster and let you know. I suspect he will prefer to handle it.”

“I’ll look forward to seeing him!” Molly had a militant glint in her eye, and Snape fought down a snicker. Albus was in for a shock when he arrived.

“So you agree?” he pressed, needing clear acceptance.

Arthur glanced at Molly. “We’d be happy to help you and Harry, Severus. I suggest that you bring Harry over here to give him a chance to spend some time with Molly and me. If that goes well, then we’ll bring the boys home this weekend and have a family meeting and let them and Ginny know what’s going to happen. After that, you and Harry can come to dinner and then maybe Harry can sleep over Saturday night. What do you think of that?”

Severus was grudgingly impressed. Weasley had come up with a reasonable plan. After all, he and Harry had never met, and it would be prudent to ensure that Harry liked the adult Weasleys as much as he appeared to like the current Hogwarts’ crop. “Very well. I will be speaking with the boy in the next day or two.”

“Why don’t you bring Harry over for dinner on Thursday?” Molly suggested. “Come when you can. Arthur can come home early and we’ll have the chance to get to know each other, just as he suggests. Your being here will reassure Harry.”

Snape nearly snorted. Reassure the boy? Considering his past treatment of the child, it was much more likely that he’d find Snape’s presence unnerving, but Snape wasn’t about to admit that to the Weasleys. “Fine.”

They all stood, and Arthur and Severus shook hands. Molly smiled a bit uncertainly. It was clear she was still worried about the Prince family’s reputation, but Arthur gave her a reassuring squeeze. “Until Thursday, then,” Arthur smiled.

“Until Thursday.” Snape ducked back into the floo and headed for his fire whiskey.