Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Some Surprising News

Aeolus chirped at him, looking rather smug.

“Get out of the living room, you ruddy bird!” Severus snapped, his foul temper reasserting itself. Aeolus gave him an offended look before the young owl spread his wings and flew to Severus’ shoulder, where he settled quite comfortably.

Severus closed his eyes and prayed for patience. Why is it that whenever I gain someone’s trust, they become almost impossible to get rid of? He opened his eyes and glared at the other annoyance in the room.

“Hello, Severus,” the annoyance said.

“Albus,” Severus ground out, his eyes narrowing to slits. “You have not yet answered my question; why are you currently seated in my living room when you have spent the preceding few days doing an admirable impression of having disappeared of the face of the Earth?”

Albus stroked his beard thoughtfully. “Won’t you sit down, Severus?”

“As I am the host, aren’t I supposed to be asking you that?” he growled, but took a seat beside the Headmaster nonetheless. Aeolus tottered a little, but kept his place. Severus unconsciously reached up and stroked the downy feathers.

Albus pulled out a tin of Lemon Drops and shook them. Severus took one with a much put upon sigh and promptly fed it to Aeolus, who hooted in obvious appreciation.

“He is the only owl I’ve come across that enjoys these things,” Albus said fondly, popping a sweet in his own mouth. “He refused to give me the letter until I fed him one.”

“Indeed. I trained to do as much.” After all, what Death Eater would think to feed an owl sweets? “I hope you only fed him one. We both know what happened last time.” Severus gave him a stern look, the memory of a madly hyperactive owl still fresh within his mind. “Now that we have the pleasantries out of the way, would you please kindly tell me what you have been up to these past few days while I have been at home, babysitting.”

“Come now, Severus. Surely he hasn’t been that bad?”

Albus, the narrative if you will!”

“Of course.” Albus clasped his hands around his knees. “Minerva has informed me that you already know the reason I have been unavailable?” At Severus’ nod, he continued. “On the evening of July the thirty-first at around seven o’clock, the first hexes were fired off by men wearing black robes and white masks – Death Eaters. The Ministry, being the unprepared fools they are, were over-whelmed. The few old Order members already there sent a plea for help to me, but with this advice; the attack was uncoordinated and the people the enemy struck down seemed almost selected at random.

“It wasn’t very hard to work out that the attack was some kind of diversion on a rather grand scale. My thoughts immediately went to Harry,” Albus gave Severus a self-depreciating look, “I know he isn’t our only concern, but he is one of the most important ones. Aside from that, he is only a fourteen year old boy; he is neither ready nor prepared to be fighting Death Eaters–”

“Yet you send him off to fight the Dark Lord and Basilisks and Merlin-knows what else!” Severus broke in, unable to contain himself.

Albus gave him a stern look, but his eyes were twinkling. “Why, Severus, I did not know you cared.” Severus flushed and stared down into his lap. Aeolus gave his right ear a reassuring nibble.

“Severus,” Albus said gently, causing the younger man to lift his gaze once more. “I understand your point and I did not mean to be flippant. It has been a long couple of days.” Albus rubbed his face and stretched a little.

“How long has it been since you’ve slept?”

Albus waved his hand; batting the question away as though not important. “I thought you wished to know about why I allow young Harry into dangerous situations?” Severus fell silent and obediently waited. “It is quite simple really; I set up the incident with the Philosopher’s Stone with the full intention of being behind him every step of the way. We both know how that turned out.” Albus mouth thinned into a disapproving line. “Harry deserved the chance to know what he was facing, but when the moment came, I was elsewhere. Much to my own chagrin. However, he acquitted himself admirably – much better than I could have hoped.”

“Damn it all, Albus!” Severus shocked himself by leaping to his feet and leaning menacingly over the Headmaster. Aeolus twittered and settled on the back of the couch, having been dislodged from his perch. “He’s just a boy! No child should ever have the chance to face the Dark Lord, let alone do it twice!”

Albus stared up at him calmly. “I am well aware of that fact, Severus. Though, what you should also bear in mind is that Voldemort is going to come after him regardless of whether he is ready or not. I would prefer him to stand the greatest chance of surviving when that finally happens.”

“So you’ll just shape him into your own tool in the mean time, and that makes all right does it?” Severus took a step back and ran a shaky hand through his hair.

“No.” The Headmaster’s voice was sharp. “That was never my intention.”

“Then what was?” Severus snarled, pacing to and fro.

“I have already covered that; to make sure that he is ready when the time comes that he will have to fight for his life. And come it will. Sit down, Severus.” Severus gave him an unconvinced look and perched on the edge of the couch. “I do not believe the Prophecy.”

Severus choked and fell off the couch. “What?” he spluttered, clambering up again and trying to regain his sense of dignity.

“You heard me. I had a Prophecy of my own, you know,” Albus told him ruefully while Severus tried to keep his eyes falling out of their sockets. “I took no notice of it and ended up fulfilling it anyway – Grindelwald, you know. The only thing was; though I did end up defeating him, it was not through the terms the Prophecy dictated. I think I would have remembered if there had been a yak in south Germany.” Albus chuckled a little. “The point is that Prophecies take the available true facts of whenever the events they describe will be occurring and put them together in a possible outcome. Therefore, as I am sure many people have already said, human Divination is a load of trite.”

Severus tried to find is voice, but couldn’t. Albus patted him on the arm.

“All I’m saying is that you cannot live your life as though the outcome has already been decided. That is why so many people end up with self-fulfilling Prophecies – Voldemort included – when the outcome could have been completely different.

“I… see.”

“Now, where was I? Ah yes; the Chamber of Secrets. None of the staff had any clue as to what the monster was; let alone where the Chamber could be located. I had no intention of letting Harry get involved – in fact, I tried to keep him away by telling him that help would always come to those who were loyal to me. I had actually intended to use Fawkes to rescue him, but once I discovered he was already in the Chamber, well, that plan went up in flames. No pun intended.” Albus gave Severus a long-suffering look. “Both you and Harry are very similar in the respect that you send all my neatly made plans up in smoke. Merlin only knows what you two will get up to this summer.” He raised his hands to heaven before giving Severus a shrewd look. “You don’t mind taking him for the rest of the summer?”

Severus resisted the impulse to lay his head in his hands. “No, Albus.”

“Excellent! That certainly is a weight off my mind.”

A bitter taste came to rest on Severus’ tongue. “Because those Muggles abused him? Is that what you are saying, Albus?”

Dumbledore froze and stared at him. “I beg your pardon?”

“Abused; as in hit, belittled, neglected, mistreated, malnourished. Need I go on?” Even as he finished speaking Severus felt his gut clench. Oh God. He felt sick. Oh God. I could have almost been making a list for myself. What have I done? Oh dear Merlin, what have I done?

Before Severus could fully register the extent of his own guilt, he was startled by Albus getting to his feet and calmly walking towards the door. The air started to crackle and fizz slightly; taking on a golden hue while some of Severus’ knick-knacks began to rattle. It only took a moment for him to realise that this was Albus’ wild magic trying to assert itself. He got to his feet the second before the old man left his living room.

“A-Albus? What are you doing?”

“Oh, didn’t I say, dear boy?” Albus turned and smiled at him, and Severus froze. It was the first time in his life that Severus had not seen that cheerful smile reach his employer’s eyes. The eyes; they were cold and blue and as hard as frozen ice. Severus had a very hard time not shaking in his boots.

“No.” Severus swallowed dryly. “No, you did not.”

“Oh.” The smile widened, the eyes hardened. “I’m going to go and fetch the Dursleys. And then, I’m going to take great pleasure in pulling them into little pieces.” Albus turned abruptly and walked out the front door.

Oh dear Merlin, he means it! Severus felt his hands begin to shake. Truly means it. He felt something sharp grip his shoulder and looked up to see Aeolus sitting there. That alone gave him the strength to move forward and follow his employer. Albus angry was frightening, but Albus furious was downright terrifying. Severus could now understand why Grindelwald had handed his wand to Albus without either of them firing a single hex.

“Albus!” He hurried out of the open front door. “Albus!” He wasn’t sure if he was relieved or worried when the older man stopped and looked back. Severus jogged to his side, careful not to look in his eyes again.

“They’re not there, Albus. The Malfoys have them,” he mumbled to his boots.

“Ah.” Dumbledore shifted his weight. “Such a pity.” Apparently Albus could do sarcasm as well as any Slytherin. Severus still did not dare look up. If he did, he would lose all his nerve and the man who had protected him for so long would end up in Azkaban. “Severus?”

Severus did not answer. A hand came into his vision and he flinched back wildly, not certain if he was acting sensibly or irrationally.

“Severus?” Concern had bled into the cold voice, but Severus still could not look up. “Goodness!” A hand grabbed his shoulder before he could move away and another hand tilted his chin up until he had no choice but to look into a pair of worried, blue eyes. “My poor boy! I have scared you, haven’t I? Severus, I’m so sorry.”

“Not scared,” Severus snapped gruffly, but didn’t protest when an arm came around his shoulders as they walked back to the house. Was this how Harry felt yesterday? So frightened and alone? No. Please, no… Dear Merlin, I’ve done a terrible thing. I deserve no more than what the Dursleys get.

 With that thought in mind, he turned to Albus and said, “As you have… missed out on ‘disciplining’ the Dursleys…. might I suggest myself a-as an… appropriate outlet?” After all, who would miss a nasty git of an ex-Death Eater? 

“Severus, what on Earth is this about?”

“I-I spanked him when I found he had endangered his life in my own home. I was so angry, I didn’t think – I just wanted to do something that would stop him doing such stupid things. It hurt him.” Severus swallowed, trying to stop his mouth being so dry. “I even knew he’d been abused at that point. H-h-he must have been so frightened.”

“Oh, Severus.” Disappointment. That’s all there was in Albus voice. And the arm around his shoulders hadn’t moved. Severus sagged against his employer in relief. Maybe this can be fixed. Maybe I did not mess this up as badly as I thought I did.

Severus didn’t even notice that they had entered the house again until he realised Albus was pushing a glass of wine into his hands and that he was sitting on his own couch.

“Drink.”

“Albus, it’s seven thirty in the morning.”

“And you’ve had a rather nasty shock. Two, in fact. Drink.”

Severus took the glass with shaking fingers and downed the lot. The alcohol barely gave him a minute before making its effects known on his empty stomach. Slowly, his tensed muscles relaxed, and his near-panic abated a little.

“How could you, Severus?”

Severus winced. The only reason he was able to lift his gaze and look his employer in the eyes was because this was not the first time he had confessed something to the old man.

“O-on some level, I suppose I knew what I was doing.” At this point, even the familiar blue gaze became too much and Severus fixed his eyes on a spot over the other man’s shoulder. “I was so angry. I wanted to do something – anything – that would make him stop and realise how stupid he was being; again. My… my first impulse was to shake him…” Severus broke off and glanced at Albus. The old man’s gaze remained impassive. Severus looked down again. “I wanted to shake him hard enough to make his teeth rattle, but even I refuse to do something so uncontrolled to a child…” Severus found he couldn’t go on. And smacking him repeatedly was so much better, was it?

He felt a hand on his shoulder. “And so you spanked him?” Severus nodded. “Did you give a reason?” Severus nodded again and unstuck his tongue.

“But it was convoluted at best and indecipherable at worst.” He dropped his head in his hands and groaned a little. “I think my justification was that he wouldn’t listen to words and so I had to find another way to make him listen. Stupid, wasn’t it?”

“A little. You meant well, but let your temper get the better of you. That is something you must never do when disciplining children… yes, he is a child, Severus,” Albus said at Severus’ surprised glance. “I understand it must be hard to see through the web both his parents wove, but he is only a young boy who needs stability as much as the next one. Now, that is something I cannot provide… but which you can.”

Severus stood up quickly and backed away from the couch, his mouth agape. “What? Albus, that’s insane! Potter would be better off anywhere but with me! In fact, I must insist you take him away at your earliest convenience. He is not safe here.”

“On the contrary; it took me nearly two hours to undo your wards enough to Apparate in – and consider this; that is the resistance they have against someone they regard as an ally! You have gone to a lot of trouble to keep him safe. And losing your temper because he disregards his own safety? That sounds more like something a parent would do, rather than someone who could not be trusted with a child.”

Severus blanched at the very idea, his face going pale, but Albus wasn’t finished. “Not only that, you live perfectly alone in this large house with far too much time on your hands over the holidays – no one else I know has those kind of assets, nor could they support the boy as well as you could. Now – I say you should keep him here for the rest of the summer and patch up whatever gap may have been made by your loss of temper. After that, I shall ask both you and Harry how you found it, and if you are both agreeable, a more permanent resolution can be made.”

Severus sat down, staring at Albus in abject disbelief. What? I harm precious Potter and all I get is a tap on the wrist? More than that – he still believes me capable to look after the boy? What’s going on? I don’t understand! Wait… the Ministry… what happened there? Could there be something even more sinister going on than Albus has already said? “Albus, what are you not telling me? What else happened at the Ministry?”

Albus sighed. “I had hoped I could distract you from that, but I shall now tell you what you wish to know. By the time I reached the Ministry, it was almost crippled. Luckily, I managed to find the group that was fighting back against the Death Eaters and aid them. It me longer than I would have liked, but we managed to drive them off eventually. The strange thing was; in the end, it was almost as if they had received a signal from someone to retreat – but none of the Death Eaters were seen to give any visible signal.

"It was only as I was following them out that I caught sight of a Death Eater in the middle of the group covering up a pale blue orb, which looked to be about a foot in diameter; maybe less. The second I saw this orb, a strange, intensely cold power flowed through me as though the thing was watching me. The only thing was – the power seemed almost afraid of me.”

Dumbledore broke off and watched Severus, as though expecting him to make the connection. It only took him a minute. “No!”

Albus watched him gravely. “Yes. It appears Voldemort is on the move once more.”

“But… but, how? Why?”

“That, I do not know the answer to, but I am very grateful I did not take you with me.”

“Why not?” Severus leapt up, his indignation on being left behind returning full force. “I could have helped you, I could have drawn their fire, given you advice on their plans of attack and how to stop them. I have far more use than just simple babysitting! Or have you finally lost faith in me after all these years?”

“I have done nothing of the sort. You also have far more use than being canon-fodder. Do not argue with me, Severus! The second you appeared on the scene, fighting for me, they would have been on you like wolves around a wounded deer. You know this as well as I do.”

“Well,” Severus grumbled, still disgruntled, but reluctantly conceding that Albus had a point. “Well, that’s as may be, but don’t pretend it was the only reason!”

“Certainly not, dear boy. I would not insult your intelligence that much,” Albus chuckled. “And for the moment, I need you here to protect Harry. As you said, you know more about Death Eater strategy than anyone else on our side. Do you mind if I strengthen your wards as well? They are mostly excellent, but slightly lacking in strength.”

“The Dark Mark,” Severus muttered, rubbing his left arm. “The drain on my power is becoming maddening.”

“Ah,” Albus’ eyes grew sad, “I suppose you have enough Firewhiskey to help with dampening its effects?”

“Mostly, but I could do with some more,” Severus said, grimacing.

“I shall fetch you some. It would be best if both you and Harry stayed inside the wards until September the first. The Ministry is in a complete and utter shambles and Voldemort could attack again at any minute.” Severus’ insides clenched again at the mention of the name. If Albus keeps this up much longer, I will end up flinching, no matter how good my reaction control is.

“But what about the boy’s supplies? He’s starting his fourth year and the books are decidedly more advanced at that level. He cannot get by without them, or without reading them before the start of term!”

Albus reached into his robes and withdrew a letter and a bowl of cereal. Severus took the letter and skimmed it over, ascertaining that it was the new school list. It took another minute before his brain caught up with his eyes. “Albus,” he said quietly, not entirely sure he wanted to know the answer. “Why did you have a bowl of cereal in your robes?”

“It’s your breakfast, dear boy,” Albus told him cheerfully, pushing the bowl into his hands. “I would much prefer it if you went out straight away to gather what’s on the list – less time for the Death Eaters to regroup. Maybe you can get some Firewhiskey along the way.”

Severus stared at the bowl in his hands, sneering uncertainly as though it were about to come alive. “Yes, I got that much, Albus. What I want to know is; do you regularly carry bowls of cereal, complete with milk, around in your robes?”

Albus chuckled, took another look at Severus’ face and broke out into an outright laugh. “Not at all, not at all.” Still expressing his mirth, he pulled out a small, silver object from his pocket. It looked rather like a ball point pen. “It links directly back to the Hogwarts’ House Elves – I think of what type of food I want and it appears in my hand. I cannot tell you how useful it’s been in the past couple of days. Now, do eat up, Severus. You have school supplies to fetch after all.” Albus pulled a bag of Galleons out of his pocket. “For the inconvenience I have placed on you this holiday; most of it will pay for the supplies, but there will be some left over for your own use as well.”

“Th-thank you, Albus.” Severus took the bag, a little overwhelmed and started eating his cereal as fast as he could.

“I take it you’ll be staying here to watch the boy?” he asked when he had finally swallowed the last mouthful. Aeolus immediately started sipping from the left over milk in the bowl when Severus placed it on the table, paying no attention whatsoever to the conversation between the two wizards.

“Well,” Albus fidgeted and Severus blinked in surprise. What could unsettle the great Albus Dumbledore this much? “I will be taking care of the wards, but it’s a good idea to have someone in the house as well-”

Severus nodded. It’s only sensible after all.

“-and they were in the battle with me, so it was fairly easy to bring them with me-”

Someone else is in my house? Honestly, what can I do to gain a little privacy?

“-and Harry likes them, so he shouldn’t mind too much.”

Probably the Weasleys or some such. Oh well, I suppose I’ll have to live with it. Potter does need the supplies after all.

Albus cleared his throat. “Boys, do come in, if you please.”

Severus swivelled around as the door opened, and his jaw dropped.

“No! NO! GET THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE!”

Chapter End Notes:
I'm really sorry about the cliffhanger. I did intend to make this chapter longer to include Harry's bit as well, but it ended up being too long. However, it shouldn't be too hard to guess the identity of the two men ;)

This was the information chapter - the next one can be the 'cute' one.