Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Healing

“Harry? Severus? What on Earth’s the matter?”

 

Harry looked up blearily from the crook of Snape’s arm. The pain had dulled to a low throbbing ever since he had taken Snape’s potions, so he certainly hoped he wasn’t hallucinating. But why else would Dumbledore be standing in the doorway? Harry sighed and prepared to snuggle deeper into his father’s arms in an attempt to block out the illusion. Luckily, it turned out that Snape had heard the old man too because he shifted around on the bed to get a better look at the Headmaster. Harry groaned as the movement stretched his aching body and Snape froze.

 

“Harry? I’m sorry.”

 

“S’OK. I don’t actually hurt anymore, I’m just sore…”

 

“Harry, you’re not making any sense.”

 

“Perhaps it would be best if you started at the beginning?” Dumbledore asked, carefully seating himself in the chair which Snape normally sat in and peering at Harry over his half-moon spectacles. Harry groaned again and hid his face in Snape’s chest in an attempt to stop his head feeling like it was about to float off his shoulders. Dumbledore shifted his gaze to the man holding Harry.

 

Snape cleared his throat. “I came home after our meeting and found Harry collapsed outside. He had multiple injuries; concussion, broken bones, internal bleeding. I brought him inside and called you. Then I put him to bed and fixed as much of him as I could. I’ve still no idea of what happened, though.”

 

“Ah.” Harry’s memory of the event came rushing back. “It happened again.”

 

Snape shifted once more so that he could see Harry’s face. “Harry? What happened again?”

 

“The magic… happened again. It made my broom disappear.”

 

Snape’s head snapped up. “You! Old man, this is your fault! If you hadn’t added that special feature to my new wards, Harry would never have been so badly hurt!” Snape snarled at the startled Headmaster.

 

“Severus, I assure you that I did nothing of the sort! The only changes I made to your wards were to make them stronger. I’m sure you checked them afterwards to confirm just that.”

 

“Ah.” Snape bent his head over Harry’s, and Harry could have sworn he felt the man’s lips brush his hair. “Must have been that stupid mutt, then.”

 

Harry’s mind seemed to be working slower than usual; he felt awfully fuzzy. “Oh. No, wasn’t Sirius. It was my magic – it made the broom disappear and I fell. But Shadow’s OK, he wasn’t hurt. Which is strange, really, he’s normally hurt at the same time I am…” Harry suddenly realised that ‘concussion’ was another word for ‘a bump on the head which makes the affected person speak utter nonsense’. He couldn’t really bring himself to care, not when Snape was holding him and keeping him warm.

 

Your magic? But, how… And, who is this Shadow? Harry, what are you talking about?”

 

“I think I know...” Snape and Harry turned their eyes towards Dumbledore in surprise. He knows what’s going on? But, how? Even I don’t know what’s going on and it’s happening to me.  “But now is not the time for that discussion. Harry, here…”

 

Dumbledore stepped forward and placed his hands on Harry’s chest. A strange tingling spread throughout Harry’s body; almost as if he lying exactly where lightening was about to strike. He shifted uncomfortably and realised in an instant that his limbs no longer hurt, almost as if he were detached from them. To his surprise, Harry understood that, in a way, he was. He was inside his magical core. The only thing was; he was no longer alone in there.

 

There were several vividly orange tendrils twisting among themselves off to one side. Harry pushed his consciousness towards them, noticing as he went that his magical core seemed very subdued. There was even a slight split forming down one side. Harry wondered with more than a little apprehension if he should be worried about that.

 

He was distracted from his own magical integrity when he abruptly reached the orange coils of power. They were glowing brightly as if their owner knew exactly how to use them. Dumbledore! Harry realised in an instant. It must be Dumbledore.

 

Relieved that the new tendrils were no danger to him, Harry pressed his own magic towards the foreign power and felt Dumbledore’s ‘orange’ magic twining with his own. Slowly, Harry felt himself being drawn out of his own magical core. He could have resisted if he had so chosen, but he allowed himself to be pulled along by the gentle strength that held him, back to the surface of consciousness. In his absence, the terrible ache in his limbs had diminished into nothing.

 

“There. Better now, my boy?” Dumbledore asked, smiling a little.

 

“Umm, yeah, thanks… What did you do?”

 

“Not now, though I am sure you are most curious. Now you must rest and regain your strength. I shall explain it to you both in the morning. It is rather important, but after the drama of today, neither of you are up for that kind of discussion tonight.”

 

Harry sighed irritably. “What is it about this holiday and me always having to sleep?”

 

A low chuckle resounded from the chest behind him, making Harry try to twist his head to see Snape’s face. “Good to see you’re feeling better. There is a reason why I keep telling you not to risk your life, you know.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Harry mumbled sleepily, slumping back into the arms around him. “Not good for my health, I know.”

 

“Not just that. If you died… I don’t think I’d survive it.”

 

Harry couldn’t help it. The words slipped out before he’d even thought about them. “Thanks, Dad…” Harry had fallen fast asleep before the shocked expression even made it to Snape’s face.

 

HPSSHPSSHPSS

 

“Well, I never thought I’d see it in my lifetime,” Albus said cheerfully.

 

“What?” Severus snarled as he tucked the covers around the peacefully sleeping Harry. “Severus Snape and Harry Potter getting along?”

 

A smile touched the old man’s mouth. “That too, but that was not what I meant.”

 

“Then stop talking in riddles and just tell me!” Severus finished straightening Harry’s room and pulled Dumbledore out by his arm. For some reason, he found he did not want to let anyone – not even his mentor – near Harry at the moment.

 

“I could, but it’s hardly fair to start the discussion without Harry. Poor boy.” Albus shook his head. “He must have been so confused…”

 

“Albus!”

 

Albus’ head snapped up. “Oh, sorry, Severus. I promise everything will be made clear tomorrow, but for today Harry needs his sleep.”

 “I know what he needs, old man!” Severus hustled Albus down the stairs and into the kitchen, and then just stood there, unsure of what to do with himself after all the high emotion. He wasn’t even sure why he had gone into the kitchen in the first place. To fetch alcohol, maybe? 

Albus gently took ahold of his elbow and led him back through into the sitting room.

 

After he’d pushed his Potions Master into his favourite chair, the Headmaster lowered himself onto the couch and smiled. “Tea, Severus?”

 

“N… Yes, thank you.” Severus found that his throat was parched from trying to keep his panic under control after what might have happened earlier. He certainly wouldn’t have been sitting in his living room about to take a late evening tea with the Headmaster...

 

Dumbledore conjured a tea set and placed a mug into his freezing fingers.

 

“You did well today, my boy.”

 

“Well? What the blazes do you think I did well, Albus? I almost k-killed him, and then where would you be without your precious Potter brat?” The insult lacked enthusiasm.

 

“You kept your head and you saved his life. I think that behaviour deserves praise, especially as it is obvious you care about Harry.”

 

“I do NOT care about him!” The teacup flew into the fireplace and shattered into a million pieces as Severus shot to his feet. “You’re crazy, you’re insane!”

 

Albus came over and gently lowered the shaking man back into his chair. “Severus, calm down. It’s all right to feel like this, you’ve had a great shock about someone you love, it’s all right.” He gently squeezed Severus’ shoulder and stood behind him, rather like he had on the night Lily died. “It’s very hard to be someone’s father, but you have done admirably.”

 

“I’m not his father.” The words came out softly; as tired and strained as Severus felt.

 

“Oh? Then tell me this; if James Potter was miraculously brought back from the dead tomorrow and offered to take Harry and give him a home, who would Harry choose? James or you?”

 

“I... I don’t know. I just don’t know.”

 

“Very well, I shall make it easier. Out of the two of you, who does Harry willingly spend his time with? Who does he talk with, laugh with, and read with?”

 

Severus snapped his head back and sneered. “That isn’t fair, old man! Harry only knew his father when he was a baby, doubtless if Potter were here, Harry wouldn’t even wish to give me the time of day!” He tried to conceal how much that idea hurt him.

 

“If! If James was here! But he isn’t, is he? You are. Harry has chosen you. Ignore the what-ifs and maybes of this life and the answer always becomes clearer. And from what little I’ve seen of you two together, it is extremely clear to me. Children can be surprisingly intuitive about whom they trust. You are a good man Severus; let Harry show you that.”

 

Severus took a deep breath and tried to relax. It’s over now, Severus. It’s over. The adrenaline rush had abated and was now leaving him quite drained.

 

Albus smiled at him. “That’s better, dear boy. Now; it is time for me to go to bed. Righting the wrongs of this world is a tiring business.”

 

Albus stretched himself out on the couch, propped his purple boots up against the arm rest and closed his eyes. Severus sat still, feeling completely stunned for a little while longer, before he felt he could coherently use his vocal chords once more.

 

“Albus, I never thought I’d say this, but you clash with the furniture. I have plenty of guest rooms that you could use.”

 

“Hmm.” Albus opened one eye and caught him with its blue stare. “Be that as it may, I have no wish to listen to you pacing outside my room all night, waiting for morning. I would tell you to go upstairs and sleep yourself, but I know damn well that unless I force a Dreamless Sleep potion down your throat you’ll be sitting beside Harry’s bed until you fall asleep from exhaustion in the early hours of the morning.” The eye closed and Headmaster appeared to fall fast asleep.

 

Scowling, Severus turned and stormed upstairs, determined to prove the old man wrong and go straight to his own room. Entering the hallway at the top of the stairs, he paused, and then, much more softly, walked over to Harry’s door and opened it slowly.

 

Harry was lying there, fast asleep. One side of his face was slightly bruised from where he hit his head, but mostly, he looked perfectly all right now. His face had filled out some ever since Severus had started giving him regular meals. The dark bruises that had been clearly evident under his eyes had also faded completely since he'd come to the Manor, and, most importantly, his breathing was even and regular. He did not seem to be in any pain while he slept.

 

Watching Harry simply lying there and living was addictive, but Severus managed to shake himself out of his stupor and remind himself that he needed his sleep too. Especially after the day he’d had.

 

With a slight wand movement and a murmured incantation, an alerting charm settled over Harry’s bed. Severus took one last guilty look before retiring to his own room. It was only after he had slept through the night that he realised he had done exactly what the Headmaster had intended.

Chapter End Notes:
Brace yourselves for the next chapter...