Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A long night in the infirmary. Italicized words are thoughts.
To the Infirmary

The moon was high in the sky and the light was trickling down through the overcast skies into the school directly below.

One man was up and lurking about as the students would say.

It was Severus' turn to patrol this unused part of the school from 12 am to 3 am. All of the professors took three hour shifts roaming random halls on Saturday evenings.

"It is crucial to make a united stand against trouble makers early on in the school year," Minerva had stated in their first staff meeting.

Normally Severus was well able to handle a few hours of missed sleep but seeing as this was the first week of school he wasn't feeling quite up to task.

Along with preparing for his lessons he was also doing his other job.

Spying for the Order of the Phoenix was starting to take its toll. His Dark Master was getting anxious and was recently taking it out on his followers. Severus generally had immunity to the torture that came after a crazed rant because he was one of the favored, but lately his lord wasn't biased when it came to dolling out pain.

Last weeks meeting had gone as such. Returning to Hogwarts to make his report had taken real effort. The Dark lord had held him under a crucio for minutes at a time it had seemed.

When he had finished with every last Death Eater he stated "Let that be a lesson to you all. Get me what I want in a timely manner and we won't have to go through these tedious exercises."

What he wanted was Potter's head on a plate. Really he wanted the brat brought to him alive so he could do the honors.

Before he left the meeting the Dark lord took him aside and told him that his confidence in his potions making skills were high as always but if he didn't bring him some news on the boy soon he could expect painful lessons from here on out.

At the memory Severus wanted to shudder but due to his double life bodily reactions had long ago been tamed to be nonexistent even when he was alone.

Albus was working on information he could feed the monster but for now he would just have to brew stronger pain relievers.

If he caught anyone up this night he would let them taste his full fury.

Suddenly a charmed cream colored paper plane flew past Severus' ear and did an 180 degree turn to stop abruptly in front of his face. It wasn't a howler but it formed a mouth all the same.

In the voice of Albus Dumbledore it calmly stated, "Severus, I have a strong feeling there are students out of bed and may be in your area. Be on the lookout."

The paper then ripped itself up and blew away.

Excellent, I hope its Potter and his band. They need to be taken down a peg early on. Let's just test a theory here.

"Point me Harry Potter," he spelled.

 The wand rotated a few times till it stopped to point North. Following directions this way had him standing in front of a girl's lavatory several minutes later. 

There was obviously a silencing and notice me not charms placed just outside but no alarms to warn that there was an intruder outside.

 Imbecilic Children, he thought. His Slytherins would have known to watch their backs.

Typical Potter and his groupies thinking they could do whatever they wanted. In the first week no less. Potter was his father to the letter. Disobeying rules was his forte. But no one would discipline the boy. Being the favored of his Head of House not to mention the Headmaster certainly had its drawbacks when punishing the boy.

Well not tonight. He would give the boy what for. Now to word a scathing lecture meant for those who were stupid enough to cross his path this night.   

Well, well Potter, what do you think your doing out of bed at this time of night? No, it's got to be more menacing. I'll just sneak up on them. That'll give them racing palpitations.

Dismantling the wards was child's play for a wizard of Severus' strength. Someone really ought to teach these children stronger spells. Why Albus would not hire a quality Defense teacher is beyond me. This boy will die unless he learns better. Then where will the wizarding world stand? There'll be no hope, that's where. We're all better off dead.

Pushing aside his morbid thoughts Severus opened the door to an odd scene.

There was a cauldron in the middle of the floor. Off to the side of that were Granger and Weasley huddled together over something. Potter was nowhere in sight.

Weasley warbled a pitiful cry and said, "Mione, we have to get him to Madame Pomfrey. She'll know what to do right?"

Granger was beet red and a bit out of breath. She seemed to be bent over something. It was hard to tell with their backs to him.

She replied, "Ron I need to keep giving him these breaths.  His breathing sounds really raspy and I'm afraid something is blocking his airways."

"I know I'll go and get Madame Pomfrey and bring her here."

Weasley jumped up and turned around so quickly Severus didn't have time to take a step back. The boy had nearly run him over in his haste.

"Prof...Prof...Professor. What are you doing here?" the boy stuttered.

"Articulate as usual Mr. Weasley. Fifty points each shall be deducted from the three of you and may I say well done for putting my house ahead in the counters so early in the year. You three will also serve a detention. Now where is Potter?" 

"Professor," the know it all screeched. "This is Harry here and he's stopped breathing. Please help him!"

"What?"

She picked a small bundle of black fur from the floor and crossed the space of a meter to meet me in a heartbeat.

"This is Harry, quickly Professor we've done something wrong."

The girl began to break down into hysterics.

"Desist with that noise this minute and hand me that thing."

As she handed the furry bundle to him he could tell without running a diagnostic that it was terribly ill.

"Anapneo," Severus chanted.

His airways opened and he coughed and took a shuddered breath. With that out of the way Severus his wand in intricate patterns the length of the animal's body which currently appeared to be about 20 inches long. He was running a high fever and began to shake. He needed to get him to the infirmary fast. Severus' expertise in animal healing was limited.

He quickly chanted a stasis and sealing spell over the cauldron and quickly began to leave the room.

"Come with me," the Potions Master said as menacingly as possible. If this really was Potter the two of them would have followed him into Hades.

As they left he warded the room to open to no one save himself.

They unlikely group quickly strode down the corridor towards their destination. The brats had to follow at a slight jog. Severus' long legs were the only thing he thanked his father for.

The pup in Severus' arms began to yip. Yes, that's what it was some sort of dog. It was just like Potter to change himself into some ridiculous mutt. Just like his fool of a Godfather.

This boy will be the end of me. Albus will kill me if I don't save this idiotic child.

Severus quickened his pace when the dog started to show some signs of distress. His breathing was becoming irregular again.

After a good five minutes of brisk walking they reached the Infirmary. Granger and Weasley had run ahead and opened the doors for our entry. With all the noise they had disturbed Poppy from her office.

"What is the meaning of this," the frazzled nurse demanded.

Upon seeing Severus she changed into healer mode.

"Oh, Severus what is the situation?"

"Potter has attempted to turn himself into an animagus. By assumption of the scene in which I'd found them these three were trying to obtain their animal counterparts via potion."

"No," she gasped.

Good, she knows the danger of trying to bring your form on this way. Chances are it could be permanent. Just what we need, a dog that lived. If he lives through the night that is.

"Yes, I found Miss Granger here giving Potter breaths to sustain his airways. Something has gone horribly wrong and I may need to brew a restorative with his form and measurements in mind."

Severus handed Potter over to Poppy so she could begin stabilizing him then proceeded to walk over to the floo to alert the Headmaster and Minerva.

Throwing a dash of powder in Severus stated the locations needed. Having reached the required people and told them of the emergency he returned to Poppy's side to assist her.

Albus and Minerva arrived within moments of the other and were asking to be apprised of the situation.

 Granger and Weasley were huddled together on a nearby bed and began to tell them the details of the incident.

Dumbledore wandered over ignoring the commentary. Something tells me he already knew what had happened to the boy.

"Poppy how is he?"

"He's developed pneumonia in his lungs and he has an irregular heartbeat. I've given him a mild inflammatory potion and I'll have to monitor his heart rate through the night. Severus I believe he could use that restorative."

Severus gave her a nod.

"He'll be okay won't he Madame Pomfrey?" Granger asked.

"I'm not entirely sure. He's somewhat stable now but only time will tell if complications will arise. I'm sure you've read of how dangerous it is to become an animagus the hard way. You've gone and thrown all kinds of variables in by adding a potion into the mix."

Minerva put her two pence in.

"What could you have been thinking? This is the most foolish thing any of my students have ever done. Look who I'm talking to! You three do foolish things all the time. Miss Granger you're supposed to be a good influence on the boys!"

Granger promptly burst into tears.

"Now, now Minerva children will be children. I remember a certain group not too long ago pulled similar stunts. I'm sure everything will be fine. Children I believe it is well past your bedtime. I'm sure Minerva will be glad to return you to your dorm."

"Professor, please let us stay with Harry!" they nearly shouted in unison.

"No, no we can't have you in Madame Pomfrey's way. She may let you visit in the morning?"

A nod from the matron helped them to visibly relax though it was obvious to all they would get no sleep this night.   

"Alright," they agreed.

Minerva escorted them out continuing her lecture in scathing tones.

"Of all my years as an educator never in my life have I ever..." and so forth down the hall.

"Headmaster I will be brewing that restorative now unless you need me for anything else?"

"No, no I'll be here waiting with Harry."

He conjured a tacky chintz chair and pulled it alongside Potter's bed.  

"I should return shortly."

"Severus, we can't lose him."

Not knowing what to say Severus turned and left.

Severus headed towards his lab and took a short cut through a nearby hidden door. Doing the calculations in his head he'd figured the correct measurements for an animal of Potter's size.

Reaching his lab he checked one quick reference to make sure giving this to animals would work and took to brewing in short order. Luckily the potion took only an hour and he was through the infirmary doors for the second time this night a short time later upon finishing.

Severus administered the potion and left it up to the magic.

"It should take." Poppy said. "His fever has gone down, now he just needs a bit of extra strength to help regulate his heart rate."

After ten minutes of tense waiting, of course not on Severus' part, Potter showed signs of getting much better according to Poppy.

Visibly he looked to be breathing better as well and slipped into a comfortable sleep.

"Have a seat Severus and chat with an old man for a bit," Albus invited though I knew an order when I saw one.

He conjured a replica of his own chair but I changed it to something less ridiculous before sitting.

"You did good work tonight Severus. I'm glad you didn't let past prejudices cloud your judgment."

"I would have done it for any student. Seeing that it was Potter will only give me opportunity to ridicule him to his face for his stupidity."

"Severus he's only a child. Despite his looks and putting aside what he's done tonight he's not his father."

"Nonsense, he's his father reincarnate. I don't think James even died that night. He entered this boy just to live again to torment me."

"You shouldn't speak ill of the dead Severus."

That was the only reproach given to him.

"He has Lily in him as well you know."

"Don't speak her name."

The Headmaster gave him a knowing looking and began to stand.

"Well it's been a long night and I believe I could use a few hours sleep. I shall return in the morning. Goodnight Harry my boy sweet dreams."

He petted the small fur ball before leaving Severus sitting there alone with Potter.

Severus took another look at Potter. He appeared to be a dog but at second glance could've been a wolf cub. He had black fur from head to paw save for a triangular patch of white on his chest.

Not like his father indeed. Severus mused. They are copies. He's so much his father. He's foolish, stubborn and headstrong. He doesn't listen. What Potter needs is a strong hand to curb some of those Gryffindor tendencies.

Who is going to do that for him? Certainly not those muggle relatives of his. They probably worshipped the ground he walked on. Lupin couldn't be relied on for obvious reasons and was on some fool of an errand set on by the Headmaster. His mutt of a Godfather was out of the question. That man couldn't even take care of himself.

Who did that leave? He'd have to talk to Albus about it in the morning.

The pup began to whimper in his sleep and unconsciously Severus found his hand rubbing soothing circles up and down the dog's neck and back.

So much like the father, only green eyes from the mother. Green eyes that haunt me. So much lost in a brief moment of stupidity. Everything I loved, my chance for a normal life. A family.

The pup sighed contentedly.

Severus realized what he was doing and recoiled his hand quickly. The brief petting seemed to have soothed the dog.

He ran a hand down his face and muttered, "I must be truly tired. I think I'll go to bed now."

With that he raised himself up and walked out of the infirmary without looking back.

"He must have been tired. He didn't even see me here."

Madame Pomfrey was standing behind and off to the side waiting to check on Harry. What she had seen had shocked her at first but now she was grinning and humming a soft melody.

I knew you weren't so cold on the inside Severus. Now if you could just bring some of that to the outside.

Chapter End Notes:
What do you think?