Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Some upsetting news for Harry.

Italicized words are generally thoughts.
Waking Up

 

Harry heard murmurs.

There were people around him but he couldn't tell who the voices belonged to. Why couldn't he move? Why did his body feel so strange? Who was going to scratch the crazy itch out from behind his ear? He certainly couldn't lift a hand to do it.

He was tired. He knew he was waking up but every bone in his body protested the slightest movement. Breathing was taking more effort than usual. What had he done to achieve such a high level of weakness? He started to go through a mental list to try and find a reason for his current predicament.

Quidditch hadn't started yet. He hadn't roamed the halls at night too often. In fact he had gone to bed at decent times. Had someone hit him with a curse?

Well he'd just wait till someone currently standing over him would realize that he was waking up and start explaining things. That's what usually happened when he was in the infirmary. He was pretty sure that's where he was.

The infirmary beds always felt just a tad more comfortable here than in his dorm. He assumed there was a spell to make things fluffier all around.

The voices overhead suddenly got very heated on one side, at which point Harry decided to listen in so he could understand what sort of situation he had gotten himself into.

"Why can't I stay longer? He obviously needs me most right now. I won't even be able to tell him how to change back and help him get used to his new form if I leave now."

New form? What does that mean? Harry thought.

"Sirius, be reasonable. Right now I need you back where you came from. You're in more danger here the longer you stay."

That was probably Dumbledore. Sirius was here! Well that was great. Maybe they could hang out before he left this time.

"I'm his Godfather and he needs me. We still don't even know if there's something wrong with him! We don't even know if Harry is still in there or not. I need to be here to know. He's all I have left of them."

I'm in here. I don't think there's anything wrong with me other than this constant ache and sleepiness. I'm not going anywhere.

"Sirius, I give you my word to keep you continually updated on Harry's progress. Madame Pomfrey believes he will be out for most of the day. You can return to see him when we can move him from this area. Despite having wards around this particular bed this is an infirmary and you could be exposed."

Knew I was in the infirmary.

"I'm just worried about him. I don't have anything to do back there but sit and worry," Sirius whinged.

"I could find you something to do Black."A smooth voice called from further off.

Oh great. What is he doing here? Harry could recognize that voice anywhere.

"Shut up Snape! I don't need anything from you thanks. What are you doing here anyways? Come to gloat over another misadventure on my godson's part? Or were you actually here for a reason?" The angry man questioned.

Why did Snape always come in to rile Sirius up?

"For one, I don't need any particular reason to come to the infirmary, mostly because I am on staff at this particular educational facility. Secondly I'm am providing medicinal potions to sustain your precious godson's life. So if you'll kindly get out of my way and let me do my job the brat will be in less pain in minutes."

Well he was only a little uncomfortable. A potion couldn't hurt.

Sirius got up to move out of the way. He knew Snape's potion would help the boy. As he'd watched Harry sleep the boy turned pup looked to be in a bit of pain.

"Just be careful with him Snape," Sirius nearly growled.

"What else would I be? Really Black your logic astounds me every time you speak. I wonder what drivel will pour out of your mouth every utterance."

"Why you inconsiderate prick!" Sirius shouted.

"Gentlemen, if we could put aside our differences for the time being. I do believe Harry is awake and by the looks of it quite ready to take a few of those potions now Severus," Dumbledore intervened.

Jigs up I suppose.

"Potter, get up this instance and take this potion."

"Hey you don't have to be so demanding!"

"Unless you'd rather his energy fade away and he remain in this state forever? That's perfectly fine with me," Snape quipped.

What an arse!

Harry cracked an eye open to discover Dumbledore and Sirius sitting near him. Snape was looming over him with a baby medicine dropper.

Why couldn't he take it from a vial like usual? Wait why did his nose appear to be fuzzy? He opened his mouth to ask said question and out came, "Awoo?"

I think that came from me.

"Did you catch that Black? He's speaking your language," Snape said.

"Well as you can see I'm currently not in my other form. I can't understand otherwise," Sirius stated back.

"It was my understanding that you were a mutt all the time Black."

"Why you rotten no good..."

"Harry," Dumbledore interrupted.

"If you can understand me nod your head."

He did so.

"Good lad. You are currently in the body of a rare Arctic wolf. The rarity being that you are black from head to toe, save for a triangular bit of white fluff on your chest."

What? I feel smaller but I don't ...oh.  That's right, I remember now! We were working on the Animagus potion fusion. It was a success. I'm a wolf? I wanted to be...

"Harry," Dumbledore was calling him.

"We have reason to believe you were working on becoming an Animagus via potion. Is that correct?" Dumbledore asked.

Harry nodded.

"Ms. Granger informed us that you knew of the dangers involved with combining such volatile magic. I think it only fair to warn you that you may not be able to change back to your human form." Dumbledore stated calmly despite the severity.

Merlin's fuzzy socks he can't be serious!

"Professor there's no need to scare him. I could tell him a few things about transformation before you make me leave." Sirius pleaded.

"Not before I administer these." Snape softly clinked two vials together. To Harry it sounded as crash cymbals so close up.

The potions master had been leaning against the wall of the infirmary and now moved forward with the ear dropper.

"Say ah Potter." Snape demanded.

Instead Harry delivered a, "Grrr."

Snape leaned close and whispered, "Now, now, Potter.  If you bite me I'll have to test myself for rabies and then turn you into an ingredient for my potions. Before that I would have to tap your nose with a rolled up newspaper."Snape said silkily into his ear.

Harry took the potion with grumblings aside. He then gave himself a moment to go over the changes in his body. Well he could see without his glasses. That was something new. He hadn't thought to look before but he was pretty sure that was Madame Pomfrey at the other end of the infirmary talking to another patient. He could tell which direction the weave in her skirt went his eyes were so sharp now.

He'd been lying on his side so he rolled a bit to get up. He didn't have very far to go he was so very small. Well it wasn't what he expected but what could he do? Just live with it like he did everything else.

Getting up he took a few steps around on the bed. Walking on four legs was strange and tricky at first but he was getting the hang of it. Sirius tensed to catch him when he came close to the edge. It didn't take very long till Harry was tired and moved to sit on his haunches.

"Tired already Potter? Was it what you expected?" Snape taunted him.

Generally he would have fought back but he really wasn't feeling up to it. Instead he leaned forward and placed his head on his forepaws. Turning his head away from the Potions master and looking towards his godfather he yawned. Thus making him seem indifferent than angry.

Cheeky brat, Severus thought.

Sirius smiled at him.

"We'll get it all figured out Harry don't you worry. You take another little nap here and when you wake up we'll work on changing you back." His godfather promised.

Harry answered with a soft puppy snore.

"Typical, falling asleep when something important is being said," Snape said.

"He's tired, you would be too after his ordeal," Sirius replied.

"That he got himself willingly and knowingly into. This is exactly what I meant to talk to you about Headmaster." The potion's master directed to Dumbledore.

"Another time Severus, possibly later this evening. Sirius you need to be getting back."

"I want to stay. He'll be waking up and he'll need someone he knows teaching him how to change back," Sirius nearly begged.

"Minerva is certainly capable of helping him in that regard. Poppy has informed me that he'll need a good deal of rest. So it may be a few days before he's up and about. "

Sirius wasn't quite convinced.

"When are you going to realize you're not needed Black?" Snape asked nastily.

"Why you son of a ..."

 "Boys!" The Headmasters' voice seemed to make the ground quake. Somehow Harry slumbered on undisturbed.

"You will desist with this petty arguing. I must insist that when you are in the presence of others to conduct yourselves as adults. I can assure you that many are unwilling to tolerate this behavior any longer. If you both were a good deal younger I'd take you over my knee and give you what for. Considering my age and my back I'll let you go with the promise that you both will from now on act civil in the presence of others."

"Headmaster I should be able to comport myself with the highest degree of decorum," Snape replied smoothly.

Sirius sneered at the slimy git.

"I'll try to control myself in front of others," Sirius replied evenly.

"Good, good.  Not only do you do this for yourselves. You may not realize this but the two of you have influence over some special children. You should make more of an effort to be good examples. They're like sponges you know."

With that said the headmaster banished his chair and left the infirmary leaving two seething men behind him.

"Well Black it seems you got the gist of the loop hole in our promise."

"That's right Snivellus. Not in front of others."

"It's a shame you don't consider your own godson an other."

"He's asleep and you know what I mean," Sirius nearly shouted.

Unknown to the men, the matron of the wing was waiting to check on her patient.

"Gentlemen!" Madame Pomfrey interrupted for the sake of an ending an argument.

"I believe it is time for you both to go now. The infirmary is closed to visitors for the lunch hour. Severus if I need anything I'll floo you.

She turned to Sirius.

"I'm having a specialist in Animagi come this afternoon to do a full checkup on Mr. Potter. They should be able to tell if he can transform back or not. I'll send you a full report."

She turned to address them both.

"Now if you'll both kindly vacate the area and follow the orders of the Headmaster from here on out, I won't tattle on the two of you. You are both grown men. For shame!"

They both visibly blanched. The headmaster wasn't as old and there were potions for back pain.  He would think of some horrible punishment for breaking their promise minutes after being made.

Despite the slight uneasiness of what the Headmaster would do if he were to find out Severus said in his cold voice, "Do as you will Madame" and swept from the room robes billowing behind him.

Sirius said, "I'm sorry Madame Pomfrey, I will try though he'll make me fail I'm sure."

"See that you do, good bye for now Sirius."

"Bye," he said as he left through the floo.

The nurse bent over Harry to check his temperature and vitals. Everything was progressing towards better readings. He was far from healthy but he was getting there.

"Ah Harry, what will we do with those two?"

Not expecting an answer she tucked him in with a little blanket surrounding him.

*****

Harry woke later to find Ron and Hermione sitting next to him.

"Hey there mate. It's good to see you awake and breathing," his redheaded friend started.

"Oh Harry, I never should have let you take that potion. I knew it wasn't as stable as it should have been. They told you this could be permanent. We're so sorry. How can you ever forgive us?"

"Yeah, what she said," Ron joined with her.

They looked tired. How long had it been since he'd taken the Animagus potion? It didn't matter he wouldn't let them beat themselves up over this.  This was all on him. He was the one who wanted more than anything to have more in common with his father.  How could he explain to them it wasn't their fault?

He raised himself from the bed and walked over to them. They were just close enough to the bed that their knees were touching the edge. He stopped in front of their joined hands and bent down to butt his forehead into their hands giving them permission to pet him. It was strange but it was the only way to show them that he didn't blame them.

Hermione seemed to catch on first and began to pat his neck. Ron followed by scratching behind his ears.

"You're very cute Harry. Madame Pomfrey told us you are an Arctic Wolf. Have you seen yourself yet?"

He shook his head in the negative.

Here take a look. She held up a medium sized mirror from her book bag.

He took a look at himself. It was as Dumbledore had described and pretty much what he'd deduced from what he could see of himself. What Dumbledore had failed to mention was Harry still had the scar. Though in this form it manifested itself in white fur and was barely visible to the untrained eye.

He couldn't escape that fate in any form.

"Well there's one advantage mate. You'll be a lot more popular with the girls." Ron's attempt to lighten the mood didn't really help too much.

Harry didn't care about that right now. He hadn't really thought much about not being able to change back. Being stuck as a dog would really put a damper on his future plans.

Hermione dragged him from his thoughts.

"It'll be alright Harry. A specialist from St. Mungo's is coming and there will be a way to change you back. I'm sure of it. Now lie down and get some more sleep. They'll be here in another hour or so. We'll visit you after afternoon classes are over okay?"

He gave a yip in response.

He was still tired. Another nap couldn't hurt. He curled into a ball at the head of the bed.

"Good. See you later then."

"Later mate."

How much longer till he could stay awake for a few hours at a time? This was getting boring.

He yawned as sleep took him over again.

*****

Severus was standing in front of the Headmaster's stone gargoyle a few hours later.

"Fizzing Whizbees."

Nothing.

"Chocolate Frogs."

Curse him.

"Lemon Drop?"

That old fool!

The Headmaster had called him up here for who knew what and now he couldn't get in.

Suddenly the gargoyle slid away to admit him.

Severus reached the door after the ride up and began to knock on the door when he was bid to enter.

"Ah Severus just the man I wanted to see. I believe earlier there was something you wanted to converse with me about."

Oh yes, about Potter.

"I'm beginning to believe that Potter is not receiving the correct upbringing. He's too headstrong. He runs into things without thinking things through. He's insolent, rude to professors and cheeky to boot. What the boy needs is a firm hand to guide him," Severus finished.

"Hmmm. Be that as it may, currently he needs the blood wards on his relative's house to protect him throughout the summer holiday as you're well aware of. They are the strongest I could provide for him. By the by, did you have someone in mind to guide the lad?"

"That is not up to me. I just felt I should make my opinion known. He is clearly in need of a better influence. That godfather of his would get him killed in a heartbeat. Lupin is doing work for the order and can barely care for himself. The Weasley's have enough children as it is. No one comes to mind after that."

The cogs in Dumbledore's mind began whirling.

"Well Severus I'll have to keep this conversation in mind should the need arise. I'll think on what you have said. You know I value your opinion very highly."

Severus didn't let himself be fooled. The headmaster took his opinion if it went with his current plans.

 Suddenly the floo came to life and Madame Pomfrey's head came into view.

"Albus, you wanted me to let you know when the healer from St. Mungos' arrived. He's here."

Dumbledore turned to his potions master.

"Severus, if you wouldn't mind, please accompany me down to the infirmary."

"Wouldn't you prefer Minerva?" He asked.

"I'm sending her a message as we speak." With a flick of his wrist the Headmaster sent one of his talking paper messages.

"What do you need me for? I am not his Head of House and quite frankly I could care less if he can no longer change back. Maybe he'll be more obedient in this form."

"Severus, humor an old man?"

He had said the last jokingly but there was a slight edge of steel to his voice which demanded Severus come.

"As you wish sir."

They then proceeded down to the infirmary.

*****

Harry hated being poked and prodded. It was bad enough that he'd been sleeping for ages but now there was a strange looking man running tests over him. He was getting grumpier by the minute. How long was this going to take?

The doors to the infirmary opened to admit Dumbledore and Snape. They were walking towards them at a quick pace.

"How do you do Mr. Rutledge?" Dumbledore asked the healer.

"Just fine sir. I'm nearly done with the tests."

Could have fooled me, Harry thought.

"Good, good, we'll be waiting over here," he indicated pointing over toward Madame Pomfrey.

The professors created chairs and sat. Harry felt like he was being observed beneath a telescope.

Please, please, let me be able to change back.

"And done," the healer stated.

"The results are as follows: he's a 22 inch Arctic Wolf, approximately three and a half months in this form, appears to be  just now getting over pneumonia and his lungs will continue to be week for the next month or so. Also he seems a bit underweight but that could be from the strain of the first transformation, it's always tough," the healer finished.

"Yes, we knew all of that." You fool, went unsaid by the potions master.

 "What we want to know is whether or not he can change back or not."

"Yes well, because of the way he went about changing there could be complications. However, there is a potion that will bring about his original form. If you'll just give me a moment to retrieve it from my bag?" The healer asked politely.

"Certainly," the headmaster said.

"Accio Animagus revelation potion," the healer intoned as he waved his wand.

The potion rose from his bag that was in reaching distance and smacked into his waiting hand.

"Harry if you will take this potion."

Harry went to open his mouth.

"Just a moment if you please?" Severus interrupted.

"Please allow me to inspect that vial."

"If you must. All of the potions at St. Mungo's are top grade made by professionals. You've nothing to worry about."

"Severus is a potions' master Mr. Rutledge. He prides himself in being very thorough," the headmaster informed him.

After the healer handed the vial to him, Severus took an even smaller vial from a fold hidden in his robes. He uncorked it and placed one drop into the revelation potion. It turned green.

"It is satisfactory," he stated.

"Well I should think so. I took an oath you know to do no harm," the healer sounded offended.

"I meant no offense. In case you didn't know this is the Boy who Lived. We must take all precautions concerning his care."

That's odd, I'm sure he doesn't care about me.

"I treat all my patients with equal and the utmost care."

"I'm sure you do."

"If you don't mind we can get this boy changed back now," the healer said.

"Go right ahead. Though I certainly did enjoy this Potter's silence." The potions master handed the healer the vial.

"This will only work this one time to help your system understand that it can change back and forth. It may be uncomfortable but not nearly as much as your first experience," the healer spoke to Harry.

"Down the hatch lad."

Harry swallowed what was put in his mouth. Of course it was awful as usual.

Nothing happened. Would he really be stuck as a wolf for the rest of his life? Well, did this mean Voldemort wouldn't come looking for him anymore?

Then it happened. He started to grow. It was a tad uncomfortable at first but then before he knew it, it was over. There was just one problem. He was still very small and for the first time in a long time felt the urge to give into crying. So that's what he did.

"Well there you go. He's changed back," the healer said.

"You are aware that Harry Potter is a 15 year old child and not a 5 year old?" Snape demanded to know.

"Well I told you there might be complications!"

Harry became more upset as the voices rose. Merlin what was wrong with him. He just couldn't seem to stop.

"Potter stop that incessant blubbering!"Snape shouted at him.

"Now, now, Severus we'll figure this out. Harry calm down my boy. You're alright. Would you like a piece of candy?" Dumbledore coddled.

"Perhaps we could give him an aging potion? I have one in my stores. I could fetch it." Snape queried.

"No, I don't think that is a good idea. From my readings this could be quite permanent. He's system is much the same from his other form. He'll need to continue his previous treatment." the healer stated.

"Oh dear," Dumbledore said.

For once the headmaster didn't seem to have all the answers. That never stopped him from planning though.

"Severus sit here with the boy while I do some thinking in my office. I shall return."

With that the elderly wizard left the room leaving three very confused occupants behind.

"Well I'll say good day. I shall come do another checkup in a week or so. I've been informed you have a teacher who will help you in your transformations Harry. Best of luck to you. Tootles!"'

Then the healer gathered his equipment and left through the floo.

"I'll fetch a calming draught," Madame Pomfrey said and she left.

It was just Harry and Snape.

Weary and confused Harry began to tear up again.

"Calm down Potter I'm sure we'll come up with something," the usually hardened professor said. Anything to shut the child up, Severus thought. The sobbing was pulling at his gut and making him feel uncomfortable.

Without knowing why Harry suddenly launched himself at the potions master attaching himself around his teachers' middle and sitting upon his lap. Still crying.

"Potter," the startled potions master bellowed.

That didn't deter Harry. He continued to seek solace in the man's dark robes.

Severus looked around and leaned back into his chair.

"It will be alright boy. Something will turn up I'm sure. There now calm down, there's no need for these hysterics." He was rubbing small circles on the child's back.

Harry went boneless in his arms.

If he tells anyone of this I'll obliviate him and call him a liar. Besides, no one would believe him anyway, Severus thought.

 Severus then laid the small child on the bed and pulled the sheet up to his neck.

"So much volume from such a small package," Severus said while rubbing his head. "I think I'll go and grade some Hufflepuff essays. Correcting them always makes me feel better, maybe more so than grading Gryffindor essays."

As the potion master exited the infirmary he again failed to see the matron of the wing standing in the doorway of her office.

Little by little Severus. Little by little. I think I need to have a word with Albus, she thought.

A plan was forming in the matron's mind. One that the Headmaster would probably have underway already, knowing him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Don't worry. They'll leave the infirmary soon. I just need to develop the story a bit more from here.