Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Italicized thoughts are generally in 1st person.
A Proposition & A Rescue

"Albus, may I have a word with you?" Poppy asked of her employer and long time friend.

"Certainly my dear, please come through." He indicated the floo which currently held the nurse's head.

She took a moment to clamber through and into the headmaster's office.

"Would you care for some tea Madame or maybe a Lemon Drop?" he asked her.

"No thank you. I would however like to run an idea by you. It concerns Severus and Mr. Potter," she stated as she sat in front of his desk.

"And what idea would that be?" he asked.

"Very soon Mr. Potter will be well enough to leave the infirmary. I believe from that point on he should stay with Severus."

"Why do you think that would be a good idea? Severus on numerous occasions has let it be known that he dislikes the boy. Quite frankly he degrades the child at every given opportunity."

The headmaster knew that wasn't all true from his own observations but he liked to hear others defend Severus.

The lady frowned in thought before replying.

"I have reason to believe that having Mr. Potter underfoot would do Severus a world of good.  I have observed them when it is only the two of them. He comforted the child just last night. I think an arrangement between the two would be a balm for their souls."

"Well you are the healer. This is what you recommend for what ails them?"

"Yes it is." She nodded her head fervently.

The headmaster had been twirling this idea around in his mind for most of the night considering the boy's new predicament. Severus was the only likely option for the child at this point protection wise.

 "If I should allow this to occur, Minerva will be very upset. What is more, she has lost her star seeker. Let's keep this between you and I for now, hmm?"

"Of course." she replied.

"Now what is the report on Mr. Potter?" he asked.

"He is progressing well. He awoke early this morning and had a bit of porridge and pumpkin juice before falling back to sleep. I then ran diagnostics while he slept to save him some discomfort. His weight is a bit under for a five year old but nothing a little food won't cure in a matter of weeks. His lungs are clearing up nicely thanks to Severus' ingenious potions. He'll be right as rain in a couple of days. Though being de-aged is stressful so he may need some relaxers."

She paused before delivering the next bit.

"Also from my observations he seems to be a bit sensitive in his smaller body. A few more tests will tell but I believe he will have difficulty understanding his thoughts and feelings in this smaller mind and body. In short, the thoughts of a teenager cannot be understood by a five year old."

"Well, we can ask him if he's having difficulty and we'll just have to work one step at a time from there." Dumbledore sighed.

"Why must all these things happen to the boy Albus? Every year it's something new and more horrific."

"I regret such things happen but he's a special boy Poppy. No person can choose their own destiny. They can merely fight to survive it." He replied.

"Well I just wish there was more we could do for him. He's already had such a miserable first childhood. I only know because every year he comes to school underweight and covered with new bruises. I've even questioned his friends but they never know what I'm hinting at. He's such a quiet and reserved child. I couldn't stand the thought of him going through a second miserable childhood." She finished pulling out a handkerchief to dab at her eyes.

"I know what you mean Poppy. We'll all do our best by him, and if I have anything to say about it someone else will get a second chance as well."

The nurse smiled at him. "It will work, you will see."

He nodded and winked at her. "Was there anything else?" he asked.

"Yes, you've missed taking your weekly dose of pain reliever for your back," she stated.

"Have I?"

The headmaster knew full well he had. That particular potion tasted like tar. What was a little pain verses that taste in his mouth for the entirety of the week?

"Yes, and from what I understand you may need it for two certain gentlemen."

"You heard that conversation did you? Well in that case I shall be down in an hour or so to take it." He tried to sidestep her.

"It just so happens I brought it with me to save you the trouble." She replied smoothly with a grim smile while pulling out the hated potion.

"How kind of you." Too kind, he thought.

He took the vial from her hand and swallowed it in one gulp.

"I appreciate your concern Poppy."

He truly did but right now he wanted nothing more than for her to leave so that he could scourgify his mouth several times.

"I shall return to my post and my patient now. He should be waking soon. He'll soon be able to stay awake for normal lengths of time."

Albus nodded and the matron left. He then cast a very powerful scourgify that barely helped eradicate the horrible taste left in his mouth. Lemon Drops seemed to be the only thing that negated it enough so that he could taste other foods. There would always be a strange after taste despite them though.  

Yes I do believe Harry will have to stay with Severus. Now to convince them, Albus thought.

Though the headmaster wouldn't have to convince them. He was the headmaster after all and his word was practically wizard law.

They'll thank me someday. Till then I'll just have to put up with complaints.

The headmaster then left his office in the direction of the dungeons. He had a certain potions master he needed to speak with.

*****

Severus was sitting at his desk in his office when someone triggered the ward outside of his door. That was immediately followed by knocking.

He was currently working on his lesson plans for the morrow and didn't want to be disturbed. Severus had hoped the imbecile would realize he wasn't in but the knocking persisted.

This person could only be a couple of people. He had a reputation that emitted meanness and anyone fool enough to persist on knocking on his door would know they were courting a fate worse than death.

It couldn't be Draco, his godson. He was a Slytherin deep to his core and had self preservation instincts. He would have realized that now was not a good time.

That left only Minerva or Albus. Who from time to time despite his age would still treat him as a child. That galled him to no end, so he took his time in answering his door.

He looked to the frame above the door which wrote in fine calligraphy the persons standing immediately outside. Sure enough it read the headmasters' full name and title.

He will have nothing good to tell me. Whenever he needs a favor he always seeks me out in my own territory to give me a false since of security. Well I'm on my guard old man, he thought.

"Come in Headmaster. What brings you to the bowels of the school this afternoon?"

Severus indicated that they sit.

"Why I was wondering if you would have time for a quick chat?"

"Of course, I'll just put my lesson plans off till a bit later," he said a bit sarcastically.

"If you are busy I could come by later."

Ah hah. He's setting me up, Severus thought. What can he be up to?

"No, I didn't have much left to do before the evening meal. What is it that you wish to speak to me about?"

Lets get this over with. I have a feeling this is not going to be pleasant. What am I thinking? It can't be any worse than spying on the darkest lord of the century.

"First what is your report on the boy's potion? Is there anyway to reverse the effects?"

"No, there are too many unknown factors involved in the making. It could have been incorrect enunciation of the spell, a wrong flick of the wrist, tainted potion ingredients, the list is numerous. That's the consequence of fusing potion and spell."

"In that case I have a proposition for you my boy. An opportunity of mass proportions. In it you will be able to influence one of the most important persons of our time. In my thinking you are the only one fit for the job. Can I count on you to do it?"

There was a glint in the headmaster's eye. Something horrible was about to befall him.

"What is the proposition Headmaster?"

"I need for you to take up temporary guardianship of one Harry Potter."

It is worse much worse, he thought.

Severus didn't answer him right away. He was staring straight at the man. Many years as a spy had trained his facial features into a grim line of perpetual stoicism. Currently if he were a person with normal reactions his mouth would be agape and he would be uttering inane utterances.

 The silence continued on until the headmaster had deemed adequate time given to absorb the shock of such a request.

"Severus, what say you?"

"Minerva," he simply stated.

"I haven't run it by her yet, but currently you are the next strongest wizard in the castle. You are also a trained spy and will know how to look out for dangerous situations that are bound to arise. The child is a magnet for danger."

"As I have said before, by his own doing. He leaps into things without thinking."

"Which is why I thought of you above all others. You understand the need to keep him grounded. You will be given full rights as guardian. I will not gainsay you in discipline should the need arise."

Which it will, I'm sure.

"There will be rooms added on to your living quarters in an hour or so. The house elves will be made aware that Mr. Potter will now be residing in your residence."

This is a nightmare.

"I have no choice in the matter?" Severus hoped.

"I have asked you out of the courtesy of our relationship, but as the leader of the light I must implore you to do this for our cause."

Conniving old fool! This cannot end well. We will kill each other within the week.

"You will not gainsay me on discipline?"

"As long as you are not unduly harsh with the child."

"I would never beat a child if that is what you mean."

"I meant mentally Severus. You may not know this but you and Harry have a lot in common."

"That sir, is an insult."

"You will see. Try a little compassion Severus. It will do you both a world of good."

"If that is all Headmaster, I need time to adjust to this new arrangement."

"Certainly, you will be able to bring Harry to your quarters after breakfast tomorrow."

A nod was all he gave the man to dismiss him.

"And Severus? This is your chance. Use it wisely."

What could he mean by that?

"I shall see you at supper."

With that said the headmaster left but he did not see the potions master at supper.

Severus sat there for a long time till he realized he had lessons to plan and essays to mark.

When he had finished that he cast a Tempus to check the time. It was time to make rounds before bed. Luckily he had the early shift.

He found himself thinking of his current situation as he left his office.

This will be difficult but at least Potter will finally have some self control instilled into him. Even if it means my demise.

*****

Just before dinner in the infirmary, Harry Potter was waiting out an awkward moment between himself and his friends.

He was currently in his five year old body and made acutely aware of the fact by a gushing Hermione.

"Why can't Ginny or Neville come visit me?" The now grumpy child demanded.

"Because Harry, the Headmaster wants your predicament kept top secret for as long as possible," Hermione replied.

"Why doesn't he ever tell me these things himself? Why'd he tell you guys? I'm a big boy!" he nearly screamed.

"Hey mate calm down! You're getting all excited. The Headmaster only just told us today just before we came to visit you. It's for your safety. You know a lot of Deatheater's children go here. They'd tell their good for nuthin parents ‘bout this in a second and you'd be in loads of danger." Ron tried to soothe.

"That's right Harry we're only trying to protect you. Especially now that you're temporarily smaller."Hermione added.

"Oh didn't they tell you?" he asked moodily.

"What?"His friends asked in unison.

"What's happened to me is possibly permanent. I will be this way till I grow out of it for the second time."

"Oh Harry, we'll go to the library straight away."

Ron looked a bit green but nodded his agreement.

Harry was starting to get upset. His friends just couldn't understand the monumental mistake he had made. They were great friends and he loved them to death but right now he just wanted to be alone or maybe he needed a shoulder to cry on.

Didn't I cry on someone before? Well, it must've been Sirius. He refused to think it was anyone else.

"Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Hey if you guys don't mind I think I'm going to take another nap?" He tried to give them a hint.

"All right mate, tomorrow's Saturday so we'll come visit you. Do you think they'll let you come back to the dorm?" The red head queried.

"Ronald, were you listening to a word I said?"

"Most of them."

"Harry's condition must be kept a secret."

"Gryffindors would never give up another!" He shouted indignantly.

"Of course not but others who see him along the way might!" she replied heatedly back.

"So we'll get his invisibility cloak and get him up there and none's the wiser."

"Listen guys..." Harry started.

"That's just stupid, anything could happen and then he'd be in danger!"Hermione argued.

"Well excuse me for wanting to help my friend out!" Ron spat back.

"Guys." Harry tried again.

"Yeah help him get killed you mean. What we need to do is help him grow." she raised her voice.

"Why is it always your way?" Ron demanded.

"GUYS!" Harry shouted.

He was standing on his bed and his face was red with exertion.

"I just want to go to sleep. Please shut up and go away!"

"Sorry mate."

"Sorry Harry."

"We'll go now Harry. Do you want us to come back tomorrow?" Hermione asked.

"Only if you guys quit fighting. It makes me upset."  

"We'll try mate. See you tomorrow then." Ron said as he ruffled Harry's hair.

Why do people like to do that to little kids? Harry thought.

"Yes see you tomorrow Harry." Hermione replied restraining herself from hugging him goodbye.

"Bye." He replied.

After they left Harry sat there contemplating life in general and how much it sucked. All this anxiety about his future was making his stomach hurt. Madame Pomfrey had served dinner and now it was lights out which meant bedtime. It wasn't even late. So he decided to do what always made him feel better. Roam the halls.

He waited till Madame Pomfrey made her second round pretending to be asleep. After that she set in for the night and the next time she would check on him would be hours later.

He got up and went to the doors of the infirmary.

Oh crap! How am I going to get out? It's probably warded to notice if I leave!

Fate seemed to smile on him because at that moment two Hufflepuff girls holding another between them were slamming through the doors. Their friend was screaming about a beauty spell gone wrong. She'd wanted a smaller nose but instead she had spelled it off.

They didn't notice a little boy running by them and out to the hall behind.

He took off at a run to take a sharp left down the corridor. He wouldn't be long. He just needed to clear his head so he could sleep better later.

He continued on this way for a half hour when he felt it was time to get back. He was already tired and it hurt a little to breathe.

As he started back it occurred to him that he couldn't remember the way to the infirmary. Things were so much bigger and darker. He was also getting cold wearing just his hospital gown.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Thump.

What was that?!

Screeeech. Thump.

The sound was getting closer. Harry becoming more frightened by the moment did something he didn't realize he would do. He transformed.

In his wolf form the sound was much more terrifying and it was coming closer.

THUMP. Screeeech. THUMP.

He did the only thing he could think of. He dove into the nearby cupboard. The force of which entered caused the door to close behind him.

Normally Harry would have faced whatever was out there but right now his five year old body was not as brave as he usually was.

He was scared and he wanted someone to save him. That was foolish thinking though. Who would save him? A freakish boy with new troubles. No one would save him that's who.

As Harry sat in the cupboard trembling he was unaware of Peeves passing by bouncing a ball he had stolen and scraping a stick against the wall.

*****

Severus was walking along the corridors at a slow gait. He was scanning the way for possible rule breakers. They wouldn't get by him, the spy of all spies.

Severus looked up to the sound of flapping paper. It was one of Albus' flying messages. Along with it flew Fawkes, the Headmasters' familiar. Fawkes was carrying a medium sized scroll.

"Ahh Severus, I have a task for you." The Headmaster's voice spoke with the sound of rustled paper.

What more could he ask of me? Severus thought.

"Mr. Potter has gone missing from the infirmary. He can't have gone far. Knowing him I'm willing to bet he lost interest in his surroundings and needed to get a bit of air. If you would locate him and return him to his rightful place, Madame Pomfrey would much appreciate it."

Severus nodded his head in acquiesce. The child could be in danger in his smaller form.

"Good man. Oh and further more as to our agreement earlier I need you to sign this document. It states that you for a time will be Harry's guardian forthwith."

What agreement? You practically forced my hand!

Severus took the parchment and read the contents. He grabbed a quill from within his robes and signed the horrid thing.

Not generally one for showing his displeasure it was odd to hear him sigh while handing it to Fawkes. Luckily, only the bird was there to hear it. The bird disappeared leaving Severus alone with the paper message.

"You'll not regret this so much later Severus. Give it time. I'll be by in the morning to inform Harry of his new living arrangement." The Headmaster said.

That said the missive tore itself up as it had done before.

At least it is only temporary. I could end this at anytime or at least till someone more suitable comes forth.  

Severus turned and made his way towards the direction of the infirmary. When he got closer he heard strange noises in the hallway beyond.

He quickly cast a disillusionment spell on himself and crept forward. The sounds were growing much more distinct.

Thump.Screeech. Thump.

Only one thing could be so bold in its whereabouts.

That damn thing! It's such a nuisance. One of these days I'm going to banish that apparition.

Peeves the poltergeist slowly approached the hiding potions master bouncing a ball and scraping a stick across wall and paintings. Such destruction was cause for banishment for sure but instead of cursing the ghost Severus would question it first.

He made himself reappear just as Peeves floated past.

"My, my, just look at all this mess. I'm sure this could mean expulsion from this plane for you." Severus intoned smoothly.

The ghost whirled about startled by the man behind him.

"Oh it's you. What are you doing here you Greasy Git?"

"I can be wherever I want in this facility. Much like you believe of yourself, but in my case I am needed."

"You... you... you greasy bat. All the students hate you and they don't like your class none either. So there! The ghost shouted.

"Seeing as I've always wanted to know your sentiments on the subject I'll let that slide." He said sarcastically.

Severus drew his wand.

"Before I hand you over to the Bloody Baron I need to know if you've seen any small children this night?" Severus said while twirling his wand in the specters' direction.

"I mighta seen one or two and you can't give me over if you can't catch me!" He squealed as he dropped everything and flew through the nearest wall.

"I will get rid of you one day, just you wait you abomination!"

Severus continued down the hall ready to cast a point me spell when he heard snuffling coming from a nearby cupboard.

He slowly opened the door to find a wolf pup ready to bite and that is what it did. Right on his mark. Granted the boy turned wolf had small baby teeth but they still stung and his mark was tender from time to time.

The only reaction he gave the pup was a tap of his wand on its sensitive nose.

"Release me this instant you imbecilic child." He said forcefully.

The child's senses must have returned because he released him then crouched in a small ball in the corner of the cupboard. He was trembling with fear Severus realized.

So he thought to defend himself? Well I suppose that is the natural reaction. Peeves must have scared him and he hid in here.

"If you hadn't left the infirmary you wouldn't be in this situation. Now come out of there at once!"

He knew he was being harsh but the boy could have been in danger. What's more he had bit him.

The pup slowly trotted out of his hiding place and sat at his heels waiting for his punishment.

"Can you change back?" Severus asked.

He gave him an odd shake of the head. Well odd for a wolf.

"In that case, Fomae Primae rede*," he intoned with an intricate wave of his wand.

Harry sat on his bottom on the cold stone floor in his human body.

"Why couldn't you do that before?" he asked angrily .

"You were weak and you need to learn to transform back on your own. I won't do that again unless you absolutely cannot do it yourself." Severus replied.

The boy scrambled to his feet.

"I didn't mean to change. I...I was scared. There was something coming and screeching along the walls. I dove in the cupboard to wait it out. I was going to run for it but I got lost. Everything looks so different now. I didn't want to bite you sir but I thought you were that thing come back."

"How so very like a Gryffindor. Brave to the very core hiding in a cupboard."

"I...I...I don't know what I am anymore." Potter said.

Then he began to tear up and rub profusely at his eyes though it did no good. The tears still came.

Severus was not moved. He wasn't and that is what he kept telling himself as he sat on the nearby settee dragging the child with him pulling him into his lap.

Harry immediately hugged his middle sobbing into his chest much like the other night.

"I'm sorry professor! All I do is mess up. I just wanted something for myself. Something to make me more like my Dad. I don't know why I did it now. It was stupid!" He continued to cry.

Severus patted his back awkwardly.

"It was stupid, but now you must live with the consequences. It will be tough at first but you are alive and you should be thankful of that."

Severus thought of his own mistakes as he told the child this.

"Who will take care of me now that I'm so small? I don't think I can keep up in classes anymore. My thoughts are all so fuzzy. I can't even remember basic spells!"

The child paused to sob.

"The Headmaster already has someone lined up to be your guardian." Severus said.

"I don't want to go back to the Dursley's. They hate me. They would hate me more in this size and I wouldn't be able to do half my chores. It would be awful!"

He started to make large gulping sounds. He was hyperventilating.

"Calm down child!"Severus said a bit roughly.

Severus started to pat more firmly to get him to breathe normally. Were his relatives truly that bad? So they made him do chores? Was it really as bad as all that to have a breathing fit? He would have to ask Albus about it later.

"You'll not be returning to them. Here now wipe your face, you've made it a mess."

He handed the child one of his handkerchiefs. Which was promptly used to smear the mess more about the child's face.  Severus sighed and took the bit of cloth in hand to wipe it himself.

"Then someone else will watch me?"Harry questioned as his professor rubbed his face a bit roughly.

"Yes." Was all that was returned.

"Who sir? Could it be Sirius? I would like to stay with Sirius!"

That fool can't even take care of himself!

"No, it is someone here at school, now quit with this guessing game. The Headmaster will be by in the morning to tell you who your new guardian is." Severus said.

He could have told him then and there that it was him but he didn't need a shouting match just now.  He stood setting the child on the ground.

"Come we must return to the infirmary." He told him.

They set off down the hall at a pace that Severus realized was too quick for the small boy. Becoming irritated he scooped Harry up adjusting the child to his hip and he continued making his way down the hall.

"I can walk sir!" Harry said indignantly.

"Not nearly as fast as I Mr. Potter and we need to get to the infirmary sometime tonight. It is well past your bedtime. " Severus informed the boy.

"It's only 10:30!"

"Yes, well past your current forms' bedtime don't you think?" Severus followed that with a smirk.

"I'm fifteen!"

"That's very humorous Mr. Potter. Please say that again when you look it. I will probably still find it just as funny seeing as I'm the adult."

"You don't always act it," Harry mumbled.

"What was that?" Severus asked coolly while stopping in his tracks.

Harry ducked his head.

"Sorry Sir." He said quietly.

"You will be very sorry if you are disrespectful to me again do you understand?"

He received a nod.

"Words Mr. Potter."

"Yes sir, I understand."

"Good, you will find yourself in a corner for quite a period of time should this occur again." He told him.

"Humph." The boy replied.

I will have to explain the rules as soon as he arrives in my quarters tomorrow. As well as the consequences for not following them.

Soon after they arrived in the infirmary. Madame Pomfrey scolded Harry and put him to bed adding a warming charm to his sheets.

Severus sat by his bed to see that he would in fact go to sleep this time.

"Sir?"

"Go to sleep Potter." Severus said.

"I can't. I'm too wound up and my head hurts." He rubbed his eyes with the backs of his hands.

"Where are your glasses?" Severus asked.

"When I got smaller they were too big. Nobody asked about it and I forgot to tell someone."

"Foolish boy, that's probably why you have a headache! Hand them to me." He indicated the child's glasses.

Harry reached over to the little nightstand and gave them to his professor.

"Are these the correct prescription?"

"Yeah... I mean yes sir. Madame Pomfrey checks them each year." Harry stumbled then recovered.

Why do his muggle relatives not see to this? Another thing to ask Albus about.

Severus then cast a shrinking spell on the spectacles and placed them on the child's face.

"Are they sufficient?" He queried.      

"Yes sir, thank you sir."

Severus nodded his head.

Harry took them off and returned them to the nightstand.

"Close your eyes Potter."

"But I can't sleep." The small child whinged.

Severus began speaking in a slow deep rhythm.

"Yes you can, because you're feeling sleepy. You've had a long day and you're worn out. You took it upon yourself to have a little adventure. You got lost but someone helped you find your way back. It took a while to get back walking all that distance and you got more tired by the moment. Now you are here in this comfortable, soft bed and you can barely keep your eyes open."

It wasn't hypnotism per se but he hoped it worked all the same.

Harry yawned and he rubbed at his eyes as they shuttered.

"That's it, you're very tired... sleep Harry." Severus said not noticing his slip up.

Harry rolled on his side and curled up in a fetal position.

Severus watched to make sure he was indeed asleep or that's what he told himself he was doing. He then made to get up when the child sighed.

"Goodnight Professor."

He paused thinking all was for not looking back at the child. His chest was rising and falling at a slow pace.

"Goodnight Potter."

He left for his own bed wondering what the morrow would bring. Surely the boy would have a fit when he found out who his guardian was.

Oh well. That is tomorrow and Potter will just have to deal with it like everything else.

As he left Poppy poked her head out from her office.

Things are going smoothly already. That was as good as a bedtime story Severus. Well, sort of.

The matron of the ward clicked her heels together and went back to reading the latest magazine from Wizarding Health Today.

 

Chapter End Notes:
*Formae Primae rede: Return to your first form. Thanks dancingkatz! This should be the last night in the infirmary. Draco will make an appearance next chapter.