Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Warning: Harry gets a smack to the bum.
The Rules

When Severus had returned to his quarters last night he had gone straight to his room. He hadn't even thought to look at the new additions. It was now 6:00 am; he rose early in general to have a moment to himself. He had had his cup of coffee and read Potions Monthly, a scholar's journal. He was prepared to leave for breakfast when he remembered to look at the child's rooms which were added to his.

He paused outside the newly placed door just beyond his living area. Inside was the standard shaped bed that was in every dorm. Except this bed was several sizes smaller. The room wasn't large by any means but just right for a child of Potter's size. There was a small closet and a chest of drawers. Also in the corner was a small desk with all of the child's books and writing supplies. Just in front of the bed was one large trunk, presumably belonging to the boy.

Thankfully enough the bed was the only thing done in Gryffindor colors. Aside from the boy's school work there didn't appear to be too much in here to occupy the now small child's time. Potter had mentioned that he couldn't remember things too clearly. He would need a teacher.

Albus hasn't said if the boy should be tutored. He certainly can't stay in here by himself all day. The mischief he would get into gives me chills just thinking about it.

Severus left his quarters heading to breakfast.

Maybe I can put the brat to bed as soon as I show him to his room? I suppose locking him in there would be neglectful?

Pushing humor aside Severus realized something.

Who is going to watch him? Albus wanted this all kept secret but surely people are beginning to wonder where he is?

Severus was nearly in the great hall and waited as the doors swung open to admit him.

Well, I'll just leave these problems to Albus. He is the master of planning after all.

He sat down at his usual place surveying his house's table.

Draco was early as usual. He was eating his breakfast with perfect table manners. Occasionally he would glance over at the Gryffindor table where two of the Golden Trio sat.

 This was not good. His Slytherins were bright, especially his godson in particular. It wouldn't take too much for him to figure out that Potter was missing for a reason. By the looks of it there were several others from various houses that were beginning to question the whereabouts of the missing Gryffindor.

Albus will have to say something very soon before we have a problem.

As if the man had read his mind the headmaster stood and conjured a podium.

"Excuse me if you please. I have an announcement to make," he began.

Everyone stopped what they were doing save for a few dunderheads who continued to stuff there face. Namely: Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe. Seeing as they were consumed with their eating they didn't catch the cool stare Severus was trying to freeze them to death with. Luckily Draco kicked them under the table because they suddenly both went to grab their shins and looked angrily towards him.

I'll give him points in class for this.

Though, he would have given him points in class anyways.

Minerva was sitting next to him and she covered a smirk with her napkin.

Like her lions are so much better! The only reason the youngest male Weasley isn't still gorging his face is because Granger pushed his plate away.

 He was pulled from his thoughts by the headmaster's words.

"As you may have noticed we are missing someone from our ranks." He said.

Whispers began to ripple across the hall.

"That person happens to be Mr. Potter as you may have surmised. It is with regret that I inform you that he has taken ill by a strange magical malady."

Hmmm, that's almost the truth.

"He will not be attending school for quite some time but fear not. He is not in danger of losing his life over this occurrence. He is being taken care of as we speak and as soon as his condition is better I will inform you.  I would encourage you to owl him get well cards. Now, I believe it is nearly time for your first lessons. Have a nice day everyone."

With that said the headmaster banished the podium and began to make his way over to Severus.

I suppose this can't be put off any longer.

"Severus, I trust the new additions are sufficient. Though, I suppose it could always be remodeled if someone doesn't like their new accommodations."  The headmaster said.

The students were filing out of the room. Minerva was getting up to leave when she interrupted.

"Whose accommodations would these be for Albus?"

"Oh, a good friend of ours. By the by Minerva, would you mind joining me for a cup of tea this afternoon?" The headmaster evaded.

  "Certainly, shall I come after noon lessons?" She asked.

"That is a wonderful time, I'll see you then."

She nodded and left for her classroom. Once she was out of hearing range Severus stated, "You haven't told her yet."

"No, and when I do I'll have to be careful. She has something of a temper when angered. I believe it's the Scottish in her."

Severus didn't know how to respond so he just waited for the headmaster to get on with what he knew was coming.

"If you'll accompany me to the infirmary Severus, I do believe there is someone waiting for their guardian to pick them up."

The headmaster made it sound like Potter was in daycare. Severus didn't have classes this morning otherwise he wouldn't normally be able to just up and go.

"Though, you should wait just outside for a bit I haven't informed him of who his guardian would be."

Fantastic, this is going to be a wonderful morning filled with kicking and screaming. Severus thought dryly.

They began making the lengthy walk to the infirmary.

"Albus there are a few concerns that I wish to ask about if I may?"

"Give me a moment," he said as he waved a silencing charm about them.

"Now what is on your mind?"

Besides jumping from the Astronomy tower?

"Who will watch the boy during the day? I'm sure it is against the law to leave the boy in my quarters alone for so many hours."

"He will remain with you during the day of course."Albus replied.

"How will this be done? I cannot abide having a small child in my classroom. What is more, it will negate everything you've said this morning if Potter appears now." 

"He will not. A young wolf pup will appear at your side. You may say he is your new familiar given to you by a doting but slightly batty relative." He said with eyes twinkling.

More like senile you old coot!

"He does not yet know how to control his transformations!" Severus tried to argue. This scheme was madness.

"That is why he will wear this ingenious collar which will allow him to stay fixed in his form," Albus said as he pulled out a plain dark blue collar handing it to Severus.

He continued, "It was created by a dear old friend of mine who had need of such a thing at one time. He is allowing me to borrow it for as long as I have need of it."

"How long must Potter come with me to class? He will need to be tutored. I'll not have his brain turned to more mush than it already has." Severus said with a sneer.

"That, I'm afraid will take some time. I must find the correct person for the job. In the meantime I would ask you to give him some basic lessons in your free time. Establish how far he has regressed and work from there. You may ask his friend Ms. Granger to help in that endeavor."

I will never have another moment to myself again it seems and I'll be damned if I let one more obnoxious child into my quarters.

Severus nodded reluctantly knowing when he was being told something to do.

"Excellent, and here we are. Just give me a moment with the boy and then I will call you."

Severus leaned against the wall just outside of the infirmary.

Then the doors opened and Madame Pomfrey stepped out. She cast a silencing spell.

"I've been informed that you are to be Mr. Potter's guardian," she stated.

Severus nodded.

"I must tell you some things that I feel as his guardian you should know."

Severus stood a bit straighter showing her he was listening.

"Every year that Mr. Potter has come here I have given him a new prescription for his glasses. This always occurs the second day of classes and every year I have noticed that Mr. Potter has a bruise somewhere in visible sight. He is also several pounds underweight each year."

She paused to let it all sink in.

"In short I believe Mr. Potter is neglected at his relative's home and abused. I'm telling you this because I know of another boy who not so long ago had something of a similar story. Please don't judge this boy as someone he is not Severus. That is all I have to say on that."

Severus wasn't quite sure what to think. Things the boy had said plus his own observations were starting to add up along those lines.

I suppose it is not a total shock. Petunia was a horrible child while growing up. Though, I can't imagine her raising a scrawny hand to hit the child. I'll just have to find out the truth of the matter from Potter but that'll have to wait till later.

Before Madame Pomfrey had gone back inside she left him with the boy's potions and instructions on eating habits. Severus continued to wait against the wall wondering when the screaming would begin. Oddly enough the door was cracked open and the silencing spell was not in effect. He could hear Albus talking to the child now. 

*****

Harry was playing with a practice snitch that Ron had bought him last year when the headmaster walked in the infirmary.

"Ah, good morning Harry, I trust you've slept well?"

Did he know I was up late last night?

"Uh, yes sir. Have you come to tell me who my guardian is?"

Best to get it out of the way quick.

"Why yes, that is the main reason for my visit this morning. Before we get to that I would like to know how you are feeling."

Angry at the world in general.

"I feel alright I guess. I don't really hurt anymore." Harry said with a sigh.

"That is excellent my boy. Now down to business. I have chosen Professor Snape as your guardian for the time being."

Harry just stared at him. This couldn't be happening. Not the man who degraded him at every turn. Not the man who regularly humiliated him on a daily basis. Not the man who hated his father and in turn himself.

Too shocked to scream Harry voiced this last concern in a whisper, "He hates me."

"I do not believe that is entirely true Harry. I cannot say for certain but I believe Professor Snape has a problem with separating the past from the present. I think you'll find that a good many adults have difficulty seeing the here and now. It may be a bit easier for Professor Snape now to discern the difference with your new appearance."

That didn't really help Harry feel too much better. He had to find some way out of this.

"He hit me."

There was a noise from beyond the infirmary doors.

"When did this occur?" The headmaster asked calmly.

Crap, now I have to tell him I was wandering about.

"Uh, last night," he said.

"What caused him to hit you?"

"I sort of bit him." Harry hedged.

"Why did you bite him?"

"I thought he was a monster. I was hiding in a closet because I had heard a horrible noise coming for me and I transformed. He opened the door and I didn't know it was him so I was just defendin' myself. Then he sort of tapped me on the nose. It didn't really hurt that much I guess."

"So, what happened after that?"

"He changed me back and then he..."

"He did what?"

"He sat me in his lap and patted my back. I was sorta upset I guess."

There was that noise again from the door.

"He told me that I had to live with the consequences of my actions and be thankful that I'm alive."

Thinking about it Snape had acted really odd last night and there was that time before. It was kinda nice being comforted even though it was by Snape.

"He fixed my glasses then he sorta helped me go to sleep by telling me a story."

The headmaster was smiling and looking thoughtful when Harry looked up at him.

"He's still mean and he still hit me," Harry said indignantly realizing he was losing the battle.

"Harry, you bit him and by your own account you said that it didn't hurt that much. I would ask that you try to behave while you are under his care."

So that's it then. There's no way out of this.

"I will if he will," Harry said childishly.

"I have no doubt that Professor Snape will behave. Now, I will ask him in and the two of you will leave for his quarters. He will show you to your new accommodations."

 The headmaster turned to call, "Severus if you would come in please?"

*****

 Severus was eavesdropping, though it came with the job; his other job that is.

When Severus heard Potter claim that he had hit him he gave a somewhat loud indignant snort.

That was well deserved you brat!

Then the headmaster continued to question the boy. He got to the part where Severus had supposedly comforted the child. At this admission Severus slipped from the wall his shoe grating against it.

Preposterous, I knew I should have obliviated him.

Finally the headmaster wrapped it up and called him in.

Merlin, help me!

With that thought Severus entered the infirmary.

Albus and Potter were sitting next to a window in towards the center of the room. Severus walked over to them noting the boy's anxious face.

"Severus now that you are here I would like to say something to the both of you. Don't argue too much."

That was it? Severus thought.

 "Now, I believe Mr. Potter is ready for a change in scenery Severus. You are welcome to show him to his new living accommodations." Dumbledore said cheerfully.

"Oh and Harry's clothes have been permanently shrunk, though I must say he'll need a few more things so the two of you will need to go shopping this Saturday."

Severus just stared at the man like he'd been hit with a Confundus. Well this was more than enough. He would drag the boy away just to escape this madness.

"Come Potter," Severus commanded.

The child seemed frightened at first but then dropped down from his chair. He followed his teacher bringing his snitch with him carrying it in both hands.

As they left Madame Pomfrey emerged from her office to share a congratulatory shake with the headmaster.

 "Now Madame let us hope that they don't kill each other."

"They won't." She said.

*****

Harry was walking alongside Snape at a regular speed. The man hadn't picked him up this time but thankfully they were walking at what for Snape must have been a snail's pace.

Further and further down they went. They didn't talk the whole way. After what seemed like ages they arrived in front of a plain wall. There was no door, no picture frame guarding the entrance only random light sconces that you would find anywhere in the castle.

Snape waved his hand in a downward hand slash and twirled his wand in several odd maneuvers. Then the bricks moved in the shape of a door opening inwards.

"Come along then Potter," Snape said.

They walked across the threshold. Harry was slightly surprised at what he saw. They entered into a cozy looking room done in dark tones of blue. The walls didn't appear to be brick and they had an intricate wallpaper design. The furniture was a light tan and looked brand new.

What, no chains or racks? Harry thought.

"This Potter is my sitting room and before I show you where you'll be sleeping we need to have a discussion. Go and sit on the sofa." Snape said.

Harry walked over and sat down despite his feelings at being ordered around. He set his snitch beside him.

Snape pulled a chair over to sit in front of him. The closeness was bothersome. Harry had to fight from leaning away from the man.

"While you are under my supervision and living in my quarters there will be a number of rules that must be followed," Snape began.

"There are rules already placed on every student attending this school but for some reason you have neglected to follow the majority of them each year. That ends today young man."

"What? I don't break too many rules!" Harry said offended.

"Do not interrupt." Snape said then continued after Harry nodded.

"You most certainly do break the rules and on a daily basis. Your current state should tell you something. You are out of control."

"I am not!" Harry nearly shouted.

"Do not raise your voice to me." Snape said coolly.

Harry fidgeted in his seat and cast his eyes downward.

Snape put a finger to his chin and raised his head so that his eyes were level.

"Now as I was saying before, there are now additional rules that I as your guardian will be placing on you."

"That's not fair! Nobody else has more rules."

"What did I say about interrupting?" Snape said waiting for a response.

"Not to interrupt." Harry said glumly.

"That is your last warning." Snape threatened.

"Now to the rules: you will have a set bedtime of 9:00pm every night, you will eat wholesome meals with one dessert at supper, you will be respectful of me and every adult in this facility, when I tell you to do something I expect you to do it without argument, you will not lie to me, if you get a fool notion in your head which may endanger your life you will stop and think about what I will do to you if said plan should fail." Snape finished with vigor.

 Harry sat in a daze. It was a lot of rules to follow and he was feeling slightly defiant.

"And what if I don't?"

"I'm so glad you asked," Snape said with sarcasm. "Now for the consequences; lesser offenses will receive: time out in the corner, an early bedtime, lines, and or essays." Snape ticked off on his fingers. "Major offenses will receive: groundings or a spanking," he plainly stated.

"What was that last part?" Harry asked not quite sure he had heard right.

"Being grounded or receiving a spanking Mr. Potter.  You will receive those for truly heinous rule breaking. If you lie to me, disobey a direct order or if you endanger your life you could receive one or the other. It will depend on the severity of your actions."

"Dumbledore w...won't allow this." Harry stuttered.

"It was my requirement for my agreement to this guardianship. You may ask him yourself if you like."

"Why?" Harry asked feeling a bit frightened and vulnerable.

"Are you doing this because you hated my father?" Harry continued quietly.

"No. I didn't want this arrangement at all. It was forced upon me." Snape said coldly.

"Then you shouldn't have accepted!" Harry screamed.

Harry rolled over to avoid Snape's limbs and hopped off the sofa running full throttle for the door.

This wasn't a thought out plan. It was more spur of the moment. When Harry was upset he tended to run. So he ran the short distance for the door not really thinking about how he would open it to get out.

"Potter, return to this sofa this instant!" Snape roared.

Oddly enough the door was opening. Harry looked back to see if Snape followed. For that reason he ran smack into the person who had opened the door.

"Oomph! What the bloody hell?" An angry voice shouted.

Harry quickly tried to disentangle himself only to be suddenly lifted in the air. To his horror it was Snape.

"Language Draco."

"Sorry Severus." The blond boy said.

"Let me go. I don't want this either." Harry said kicking and screaming.

Apparently Snape had had enough. He tucked Harry under his arm and landed a swift firm swat to his behind.

"Enough!" Snape said.

Harry gave a surprised and slightly pained noise in response.

"Draco stop standing there goggling, get inside now." Snape barked.

Harry was in shock. That smack to his bum had hurt! What's more Malfoy had seen.

Why do humiliating things have to happen in front of your enemies?

Snape marched to the nearest corner and put Harry's nose in it.

"If you move from this spot before I give you permission you will have one very sore little bottom. Do you understand me?" he asked.

Harry nodded his head reluctantly.

"Words Mr. Potter."

"Yes... sir." Harry hiccupped.

Snape turned away from him to walk over to the sofa.

I wish I could go back to being myself. This is all so dumb.

Harry tried to hold it in but he let out a quiet sniffle. He rubbed at his eyes. He wouldn't cry. He wouldn't.

Stupid Snape, stupid Dumbledore picking Snape, stupid little body, stupid me for going through with that stupid potion.

Harry continued to mentally agonize over every little thing as he stood there in the corner while Snape talked to Draco.

*****

Severus was furious. The boy was definitely out of control if he was crazy enough to think he could get away with a stunt like that. He hadn't taken action right away thinking Potter would've been stopped by the door. When the door opened his heart fell to his stomach thinking an enemy could've been just beyond. Looking up to the magical door frame alerted him that it was Draco.

Severus had to calm down. Anger muddled the mind along with his rational senses. He would be objective when punishing the brat and think on what had caused the hysterics, but later. Now he had a godson to obliviate but just maybe he could put him under an unbreakable vow.

"Draco what brings you down here? You know I like to have forewarning unless it is an emergency. Explain." Severus started.

Draco had been fully in his seat staring at Potter but at this question he slid to the edge and sat up a bit straighter.

"I...I got a letter from father this morning." He started.

Severus raised one eyebrow, this was a usual occurrence.

"He wants me to come home over the holidays to meet someone of great importance. From what I deduced he wants me to meet his master." Draco finished softly.

Generally Severus was much more observant. He should of have noticed Draco getting that missive this morning. His thoughts were elsewhere though.

 Severus needed to tread carefully here, though it was obvious which side he was working for. The brat in the corner was testament enough.

From Draco's body language it didn't seem that he was too enthused upon visiting the dark lord. He wouldn't coax him into claiming a side. This had to be his decision and he couldn't make it for him. If he chose dark Severus would have to obliviate him now.

"Draco you must decide now." Severus said while pulling out his wand.

Draco blanched at this and looked at his godfather with fear.

"I had no way of telling you before but as you can see I work for the Light side. I will not pressure you into joining either side now that you know, but I will have to obliviate before you leave if you choose dark." Severus told him.

"I...I don't know." Draco said lamely.

"You're not usually so inarticulate. I know you've been thinking about this. Decide Draco."

Draco looked ready to bolt. Instead he rambled.

"Killing people seems wrong, even if they are muggles. Father sometimes comes home looking as though he's been tortured and I know He did it.  He's always angry at me for not having higher grades than that mudblood Granger. He's still my father and I just always wanted to please him. I wanted to be just like him when I was younger. He's not the same, hasn't been for years now." Draco finished.

Hope billowed in Severus' chest.

He thought he wouldn't try to influence Draco's choice but he didn't want to see his godson killed.

"You'll have to kill. You're first assignment is always gruesome. Every atrocity he'll make you commit will stay with you through the entirety of your life. The pain he afflicts on you if you fail in the slightest will make you beg for death." Severus said with severity.

"So you're a spy then?" Draco asked to change the subject.

"My telling you anything now will make more work for me if I obliviate you." He said.

"I don't want to serve that monster but what can I do?  I believe Mother still cares for me but she'll only protect me from the shadows. Father would disinherit me if I refused him and probably take me out of school. Then he would beat me into submission." Draco shuddered at the last.

"Dumbledore would protect you. You would stay at school. I have an idea or two that would prolong your disinheritance. Still you must decide now."  Severus finished.

A sobbing child slumping to the floor interrupted them.

Severus cast a Tempus. They had been talking for quite some time. 

Drat, I hadn't realized. I'm already doing a horrible job at this.

"What is wrong with him?" Draco asked aggravated.

Severus ignored this in light of taking care of the crying child. Instead of degrading Potter like he normally would have done, he rose from his favorite chair to fetch the brat.

"I will give you some time to think on your decision. Not long though. I will return after putting this child to bed. The door is warded so do not even think of leaving." Severus warned.

He lifted the small boy off the ground gingerly expecting a fuss. Surprisingly, Potter clung to him as though he were a stuffed animal.

"Potter, I cannot breathe." Severus grumped.

Still the clinging persisted.

"If you had behaved like a normal person I would have shown you the rest of the quarters but since you had a tantrum you are going to take a nap. After that we are going to have a civilized conversation. Do you understand?" Severus asked.

"He got a nod from his shoulder where the boy's head lay."

"Words Mr. Potter." This would be his most used phrase from now on.

"Yes...Sir." Potter said quietly. He had calmed much after Severus had picked him up and walked the short distance down the hall to the child's room.

Severus put him on his bed taking his glasses, shoes and outer robes off before tucking him in.

"Now go to sleep and I'll be in to fetch you before lunch. We'll have our conversation then. Do not leave this room until then, unless you have to use the restroom." Severus said after putting out the lights in the room.

There was a magical nightlight placed on the wall just above the child's headboard giving the room a soft blue glow. 

 "Kay," Harry said sleepily.

Severus shut the door softly returning to the living area. He returned to his seat in front of Draco.

Who before his arrival had been slouching, bent over in thought.

"What is your decision Draco?" Severus asked.

"I don't want to be like my father, cowering before a madman kissing his robes all the time. I don't think the dark lord brings out the best qualities in pure bloods and quite frankly he's ruining our reputation." Draco said in a huff then continued.

"Would I have to have the same ideals as the Light? I don't like muggles and I think mudbloods could ruin our hidden world but that doesn't mean I want them dead.  I would rather join the ministry to make tighter rules and regulations for revealing our secret." He said.

"So you've decided." Severus pushed.

"I have my own bank account which is set up for every Malfoy heir. It is fully mine and cannot be tampered with by my parents. It is for emergencies but I never thought I would ever have to use it. Thank Merlin it accumulated for every heir over the generations. I would die of shame if I were a pauper." Draco stated with theatric wave of his hand to his heart.

Severus rolled his eyes.

"What is your choice then Draco? Say it." Severus demanded.

"I choose the Light." He said.

"Good. I would've been very irked had you joined the other." Severus said and for him that was saying a lot.

Draco inclined his head in thanks.

"We will have to go up to the headmaster's office now and he'll want to interrogate you with Veritaserum. I will also have to perform a spell on you to not inadvertently speak of anything you've seen here." Severus told him.

Draco nodded to the first and said, "You mean about Potter?" to the second.

"Just so." Severus said.

"Are you going to tell me about that after we're done with the headmaster?" Draco asked

"Doubtfully, it is none of your business currently." Severus said coolly.

Draco looked miffed but nodded.

"Let's go shall we? We'll take the floo. Give me a moment first." Severus said.

He walked down the hall to Potter's room and cracked it open.

Good, still asleep. If only he could be like this always.

"Weeble." Severus said aloud softly after he had shut the door.

His personal elf popped into the space in front of him.

"Yes sir, how is I to help you?" The elf asked in its squeaky voice.

"Watch over the boy in this room. Only allow him to leave the room if he should have to use the restroom. Call me at once should a problem occur." Severus commanded.

"Yes sir." The elf bowed and took up his post by the door.

Severus returned to the living area going to the floo. He threw some powder in and called for Albus' office. He was in.

"Albus, Draco is with me and due to extenuating circumstances he has confessed to wanting to switch sides." Severus said.

"Excellent, bring him and the Veritaserum on through." Albus said.

"We'll be through in a moment." Severus complied.

He turned to Draco with his wand.

"Just to keep you from talking about Potter," he said as he cast the spell on Draco.

With that done he said, "After you" indicating the floo.

Draco got up and went through the floo to the headmaster's office.

Severus collected the veritaserum and followed after giving one last look at his elf standing guard down the hall.

Hopefully he will not wake till I get back. Severus thought as he went through to the headmaster's office.

Chapter End Notes:
There's Draco. I'm going to try to edit the first chapters soon but it may take awhile till I have enough time. I want to use a few suggestions given by reviewers. The next chapter will probably take another week. Till then I hope you enjoy my story.