Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

This is a funny story, I wanted to write it after working on some very sad parts in Where Shadows Go. 

Dedicated to anyone who loves dogs and has experienced the trials and joys of raising a puppy or watching one.

Told from little Harry's POV.

Enjoy!

I Volunteer to Dogsit

I had always wanted a puppy, but had never gotten one, mostly because my dad worked too much to help take care of one.  I might have gotten a puppy if my mum hadn't died, because then she would have convinced him that I needed one, and been home to help me take care of it.  But Mum had died over six months ago from a bad disease called lupus, and now it was just me and my dad.  I probably could have made Dad feel guilty and gotten a dog that way, but I didn't want to make him feel any worse than he already did ‘cause he missed my mum something terrible.

Luckily, my dad's partner, Matthew Morgan, had just gotten a sweet little golden retriever puppy.  Her name was Summer and she was only three months old.  I had gone over Uncle Matt's to visit her a week or so after he got her, and she was so much fun! I played all day long with her until she fell asleep in my lap on the couch and I almost cried when Dad said I had to go home.  Almost ‘cause I'm five and too old to cry over stuff like that anymore.

But I still wished I could get a puppy.  Or maybe even a kitten.  I really loved animals.  I had a favorite stuffed panther named Inky that went everywhere I did.  It was the last gift my mum gave me before she went to heaven, and Inky was very special to me.  Even so, a stuffed animal and a real one were two different things.

But things changed one day when I went to Dad's office after school, since he was still seeing patients when school was over and I couldn't go home alone.  My dad is a Master Healer and his name's Severus Snape.  He's the best Healer in St. Mungos, at least I think so.  Anyway, that day I was waiting for Dad to get done with his last patient, sitting in his big leather chair in his office, with all the charts on his desk and the framed picture of Mum and me hung on the wall next to all his certificates.  There were an awful lot of those, plus awards he'd received for being the best Healer and Potions Master. 

I was sitting at his desk, practicing my letters and writing my name and address on a spare piece of parchment, when Uncle Matt (Healer Morgan to his patients) came in.

Uncle Matt's the same age as my dad, about twenty-five (kind of old) only he has blond hair and hazel eyes and isn't quite as tall as Dad.  I like Uncle Matt.  He smiles a lot and knows how to play baseball and loves Quidditch and he has the cutest puppy.  " Hi, Harry," he said as he came into the office.  "I was hoping I'd find you here."

"Hi, Uncle Matt.  How's Summer doing?"

"Fine.  Getting bigger every time I turn around, it seems like.  Speaking of Summer, I was wondering if you would know of someone who'd like to watch her for a week for me? I have to go back to America, to New York, and I can't take Summer with me."

"How come?"

"Because my dad's very sick and he can't have animals by him," Uncle Matt explained. 

"Are you going there to help make him get better?"

"Uh . . .sort of." Uncle Matt looked kind of sad then and I wondered if his dad was dying. 

"Oh.  And you have to leave Summer home alone?"

"Yes, and that's why I need a dogsitter."

"A dogsitter?" I couldn't help it.  I busted out laughing. "That's really funny!"

"I'm serious, Harry.  I need someone to watch Summer for me while I'm away."

It was then I got my wonderful brilliant idea. "I can watch her, Uncle Matt! I love Summer and she loves me too, I think."

"Summer loves everybody, kid," laughed Uncle Matt.  "Do you think you could handle her, Harry? Watching a puppy is a big responsibility.  You have to feed her, walk her, brush her, and make sure she doesn't make a mess of your house.  Think you can do that?"

I nodded.  "Yes! Yes! I'm big, I'm five. I can do it all."

Uncle Matt considered.  "You sure, Harry?"

"Yes.  Please, Uncle Matt?" I gave him my best sad-eyed puppy dog look.  I'm really good at those.  Sometimes even my dad falls for that look.

"I'll have to ask your father, Harry.  If he says it's okay, I'll drop off Summer at your house Friday night."

I crossed my fingers.  Dad had never said I couldn't dogsit a puppy, just that now wasn't the time to get one of my own.  "Okay," I said, grinning.  Hopefully, I could speak to Dad first and convince him that I was old enough to take care of Summer for a week.

When Dad came in, still wearing his white Healer's robe, I was all set with my speech. "Dad, I was just thinking, you know how you said if I got good grades this year I could have a reward?"

Dad eyed me and said, "Yes, why? Have you thought of something you would like?"

"Yeah, and the best part is you won't have to spend any money.  Uncle matt's going on vacation and he needs someone to watch Summer and . . .and I want to dogsit for him, Dad.  Can I? Please? I promise I'll take good care of Summer, and walk her and feed her and everything.  You won't even know she's there. Please, Dad?" I turned the full force of my eyes, which are a bright green like my mum's, on him and prayed the angels were on my side.

Dad frowned and for a moment, I thought all was lost.  But then he said, "What is this, a conspiracy? Matt just spoke to me about his trip and asked if I wouldn't mind looking after his puppy.  Said it'd be a good way to teach you responsibility and all."

"I know, Dad. I want to learn that, honest.  And you know how I've always wanted a puppy.  If I watch Summer, it'll be like the next best thing," I pleaded. "And I won't ask for anything else until Christmas.  Promise on my wizard's honor," I said solemnly.   

Dad was quiet for a moment, and I could tell he was thinking it over.  I could also tell that he was cracking.  I have an instinct about these things.  Finally he sighed and said, "Harry, if you can promise me that the puppy will be looked after to the best of your ability, then I will tell Matthew  yes, and he can bring the puppy on Friday, like he planned.  But remember-" here he leveled a finger at me.  "-she's your responsibility.  I just hope you're ready for it, son."

"I am, Daddy! You'll see."

Dad huffed a little, then he nodded.  "Very well.  Summer can come for the week.  I'll go and tell Matthew."

"Yippee!" I yelled, and got off the chair to hug my dad.  "Thanks, Dad! You're the best."

Dad hugged me and then ruffled my hair.  "Of course.  Nothing but the best for my son."

I smiled up at him.  Then he let me go and said he was going to find Uncle Matt and tell him I had permission to be Summer's dogsitter.  "I just hope I don't regret this, Harry James Severus," he said as he was leaving.

"You won't, Daddy.  Promise." I vowed. 

I couldn't wait till Friday.  I only had a day left and then I would be able to have Summer all to myself, almost like a real puppy.  It was going to be fun and if I did a good job, maybe he'd even buy me a puppy of my own.

But until then, I had a whole week with Summer to play with. 

Little did I know that week would be one of the most memorable of my whole life.

Chapter End Notes:
Yes, there will be much trouble and excitement once Summer comes to Severus's house.

Hope you all like!