Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The wedding....
Chapter 19

"Before our wedding your mother requested that I have a stag night with Remus and Black.  As it would turn out, this was another major change in our relationship.  From this point on, I would consider both of them to be some a kin to brothers."

"How come?" Harry demanded.

"We gained more trust in one another and finally let some of our baggage go." Severus explain.

Harry frowned. "Huh?"

Severus let out a resigned sigh.  "We spent the evening drinking and talking through many of our issues.  We got past the judgment we made as eleven year old boys.  We finally we saw each other for what was really there."  

"Err...." Harry muttered.  "How?"

"Black saw where and how I really lived growing up.  He realized though we were in different settings, we were in very similar circumstance. Also we told each other secrets."

"Yeah?" Harry encouraged.

"Yes, for example Remus told me what he and Black did to the statue in commemoration of your father." Severus explained.

“What did Moony and Padfoot do to the statue Dad?” Harry asked.

Severus paled at the question. He had been vague at that point on purpose. Of course Harry would choose to hang on to that particular detail and not that of the emotional struggle, or even the other stories he told that.

“We’ll discuss that at some other time,” Severus dismissed.

“Dad,” Harry whined.

“Harry,” Severus returned in the same annoying tone.

“Why can’t you tell me now?” Harry pouted.

Severus’ face darkened, “Because it is not relevant to our story. If you would care to work on your essay instead of listening to the story than I will leave you to it.”

Harry shook his head, “No, I want to hear more.”

“Very well,” Severus said sitting back, “Our day started much too early that morning.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Severus groaned at the electrical buzzing, pulling him from sleep. He pulled a pillow over his head trying to drown it out. It didn’t work. He lay there cursing the clock just out of arm's reach. It was a full two minutes before the importance of the morning penetrated his sleepy, hung over brain.

Severus turned back the covers. He ran down the stairs yelling, “Black! Lupin! Get up!”

He was greeted with a chorus of groans.

“Get up!” He repeated this time shaking Sirius by the shoulder, before doing the same to Remus.

“What do you want?!” Sirius grumbled.

“Get up Black!” Severus ordered, “We are due at Hogwarts in little over an hour.”

“What?” Sirius growled.

“We are due at Hogwarts in an hour!” Severus repeated, “Now get up! There is Hangover Solution in the kitchen.”

Remus blearily rubbed an eye,“Is there any coffee?”

Severus looked at the werewolf, “No.”

Remus rose stretching his arms over his head, his T-shirt riding up slightly, “I can make some.”

“If it will get you two moving.” Severus grumbled, “I need to bathe.”

Severus moved to return upstairs. He came back fifteen minutes later, his hair was still wet from the shower, and found both seated at the kitchen table nursing cups of coffee.

“Can I get you a cup?” Remus asked much more awake now.

Severus nodded, “Did you find the Hangover Solution?”

Remus shook his head handing over the cup of coffee, “We found the potion stores, but weren’t sure which one we needed. You should really label them.”

Severus snorted into his coffee, “They are the light blue ones.”

Sirius quickly jumped up from his from his chair to retrieve the vials. Each wizard downed the contents with identical grimaces.

“You’re so bloody brilliant at potions Snape how come you can’t make them taste better?” Sirius grumbled.

“The base of that potion’s bile from…” Severus began.

Sirius fought to get back, “That’s enough. I get the picture. Remus, are you going to shower?”

“You go ahead,” Remus said sipping his coffee.

Sirius disappeared up the stairs.

“How are you feeling,” Remus asked once he knew Sirius was out of earshot, “Any cold feet?”

“No,” Severus returned honestly.

“That’s good. James was a nervous wreck on his wedding day,” Remus supplied. “Is there anything we need to bring with us?”

“Our suits, you have the rings?” Severus asked.

Remus nodded. He cast look around the kitchen, “When are you moving the rest of your things to Lily’s?”

“There’s nothing more I wish to take over,” Severus said sipping his coffee.

“Nothing?” Remus said in disbelief. “There is a houseful of things here. You don’t need them?”

Severus shook his head, “I do not, nor I did not want them.”

“What’s gonna happen to them then?” Remus asked curiously.

“Perhaps you can put them to use,” Severus suggested.

“Severus, I don’t have a...” Remus began.

“I am aware of that,” Severus cut off. “However, this house will stand empty when I move in with Lily. I see no reason why you could not put it to use.”

Remus was speechless. He shook his head, “I can’t.”

“Don’t be a fool, Lupin.” Severus snapped. “Living here would give you the independence you lacked living with Lily and Black. This house is paid off. You need only worry about water and utilities.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Remus said softly.

“Say to what?” Sirius demanded walking into the kitchen.

“It’s none of your concern, Black,” Severus replied.

Sirius cocked his head to the side then shrugged.

“I need to go shower now,” Remus said rising from the chair. Before he left the kitchen he stopped and turned back to Severus. “It’s a yes by the way.”

Severus nodded. Sirius watched the exchange curiously. Once Remus had disappeared up the stairs Sirius asked, “You going to tell me what that was about?”

“As I said, it is none of your concern.” Severus said.

“Fine,” Sirius pouted. “Remus will tell me anyway.”

“I’m sure he will,” Severus agreed.

Sirius sank back down at the table, “You ready for this?”

“I have not been more ready for anything in my life,” Severus said as seriously as Sirius had ever heard.

Sirius nodded, “What’s with the suits anyway? You’d you are getting married at Hogwarts, by the Ministry, shouldn’t we be wearing dress robes?”

“Perhaps,” Severus admitted.

“Then how come?” Sirius began.

Cutting him off Severus asked, “Does it really matter?”

“Well if you’re going to get all defensive about it, yeah.” Sirius said.

Severus sighed, “Lily said how fetching she found me in a suit and suggested we do that for the wedding. Who was I to argue?”

Sirius let out a bark of laughter, “She’s got you so under her thumb.”

Severus could only nod in agreement.

Remus returned a moment later, “Ready to go?”

“Let me collect the trunk with our suits,” Severus said rising. “Remus if you would be so good as to retrieve our wands.”

“What about the…” Sirius said before letting out a sharp groan.

Severus turned to see Black massaging his ribs, “What was that Black?”

“Nothing,” Sirius said shaking his shaggy head. “Never mind me asking.”

Severus gave the pair a curious look before heading up the stairs once more. He found Lupin and Black by the fireplace when he returned a few minutes later. Remus handed him his wand. Severus took it gratefully. Sirius grabbed a handful of Floo powder from the box on the mantle. Throwing it down in the fire he called out ‘Hogwarts’. With a swish of green flame he was gone. Remus followed almost instantly behind him.

Severus cast one more look around the dilapidated living room. The next time he came here, he would only be there to retrieve his belongings. He would never live here again, with any luck. This place was where he had grown up, but it was never a home. No, he would be moving into the first place he truly considered home after they returned from their honeymoon. Family vacation might be a more accurate description, as they were bringing Harry with them.

Severus threw down some Floo powder, appearing in his quarters a moment later. He found Sirius sprawled on the couch. Remus was sipping yet another cup of coffee from a tea service he must’ve ordered from the kitchens while they waited for Severus to arrive.

“What took you?” Sirius asked.

“Nothing,” Severus said. “I was simply ensuring I had left nothing behind.”

Remus looked as if he didn’t quite believe him, but said nothing on the matter.

“Why are we here so early anyway?” Sirius demanded.

The ceremony was scheduled for noon, it was just after nine.

“The Headmaster requested we come early to ensure everything is set up properly and to avoid the last-minute rush,” Severus explained coldly. “You did not do this last time with Potter?”

Sirius shook his head, “Got James there twenty minutes before it started, dressed and clean.”

Severus looked to Remus for confirmation of the validity of the statement. Remus shrugged slightly.

“Oi!” Sirius said defensively. “I don’t see how I failed so badly, Lily didn’t complain about it.”

The fireplace flared green as the floating head of Minerva McGonagall appeared in its flames.

“Minerva,” Severus greeted surprised by her appearance.

“Good to see you gentlemen arrived in one piece. Lily was a bit worried you might have… Fallen back into old habits,” The older witch returned.

“We’re fine,” Severus confirmed. He need not mention the fact that they might have
fallen back into old habits” the night before or the reason for the bruises Sirius currently sported around his left eye.

“I’m sure,” Minerva agreed.

Sensing the woman was there more than to check on their health Severus asked, “What may I assist you with?”

“It seems Mr. Potter’s suit has gone missing. We were wondering if it was put with yours by mistake,” Minerva explained.

“You’re not putting the kid in that thing already?” Sirius demanded affronted.

Minerva looked at him over her glasses, “We are not Mr. Black, but it would stand to have it when the time comes.”

Sirius had the good sense to at least appear embarrassed, “Of course,” he muttered.

“Let me check,” Severus said dismissing himself. He returned a moment later, suit in hand.

“Lily will be relieved to see that,” Minerva said happily. “Mr. Lupin, now would be a good time to check on the progress of the house elves have made with the pavilion. We don’t want students accidentally gate crashing our Potions Master’s wedding. Heaven forbid they are in Gryffindor; my lions are poised to win the cup.”

The two other Gryffindor’s laughed. Severus however, frowned ever so slightly, “There are still several weeks of term left. There’s no telling what might happen in this time.”

The professors’ met eyes. This could be a very tense battle of the wills.

“We will have to see what the fates have in store,” Minerva said.

“Indeed,” Severus agreed. He handed her the suit with a pair of tongs.

“Yes, well I best be going. For somebody who has done this once before the bride’s rather nervous.” Minerva commented.

“Lily has cold feet?” Severus asked doing his best to keep the fear out of his voice.

“You need not look so worried,” Minerva reassured. She became much better at reading her young colleague’s body language over the last few years. “Lily is simply worried about the ceremony going smoothly.”

Severus hummed in a noncommittal way.

“Stop fretting,” Minerva ordered. “I shall see you all soon. You best be on your way, Mister Lupin.” With that she was gone.

“I guess I should go get dressed and make sure everything is going smoothly. I don’t want to ruin Lily and Severus’ special day.” The werewolf grabbed one of the suit bags and turned to Severus, unsure where the bathroom was.

“Second on your right,” Severus directed without prompting, pointing down the small hallway.

Remus nodded heading off without another word.

“Don’t know why he’s bothering with changing in there. It’s not like we haven’t seen it before,” Sirius commented absent-mindedly.

“Yes, well we aren’t schoolboys any longer. The mature thing to do is give and respect each other’s privacy, especially when it’s easily done. Unlike dorms there is more than enough room for us to change in private. And if you think you’re changing in my sitting room Black you have another thing coming.” Severus replied.

Sirius shrugged. After a moment he asked, “If you’re getting ready here, where are Lily and Harry?”

“They have a tent or something near the lake, by the main pavilion where the ceremony is being held,” Severus explained.

“Why are we using a pavillion if you two wanted to be married in all the beauty of Hogwarts?” Sirius asked watching Severus over the top of the couch.

“Must you question everything?” Severus sighed. “It is easier to say the pavilion. What is more accurate is Lupin will be setting wards around that area of the lawn. The house elves are putting up chairs and and everything else that is needed.”

“Warding part of the lawn? What, don’t want the kids saying you have a heart?” Sirius joked.

Severus said nothing.

“If you don’t want students around why not wait until the end of term?” Sirius asked curiously.

“It was Lily’s suggestion. It is the last Hogsmeade weekend of term so a majority of the older students are in the village. The wards are mostly in case of nosy people from the press. We had little confidence in the ability of the Ministry keeping the news of our marriage private. You will remember the response of the wizarding community to our supposed relationship after Potter’s memorial.” Severus explained.

Remus came out bathroom a moment later. He wore a grey morning suit, white shirt, grey waistcoat, green tie.

“I forgot my shoes,” Remus muttered plopping down on the couch, barely missing sitting on Sirius’ legs. Remus Summoned a pair of black dress shoes. In his haste to get out he fumbled with the laces.

“Why is Remus doing the privacy spells and stuff?” Sirius asked watching his friend fail to knot his shoes for the third time.

“Because I asked him to…Why?” Severus asked.

Remus let the tiny laces fall, too interested in what Sirius would say.

“I’m an Auror. I’m sure I can handle setting a simple privacy spell. Remus is your best man, he should be here in case you have a last-minute crisis of faith or something,” Sirius pointed out.

The two other wizards looked at each other.

“Perhaps he has a point,” Severus admitted.

“Of course I do,” Sirius said.

“Fine,” Remus agreed. “You better get some Bruise Cream on that eye. I don’t want to have to explain to Lily why you have a black eye in her pictures.”

Sirius let out a bark of laughter.

“Have no fear,” Sirius said hopping off the couch. He grabbed his suit bag in disappeared down the hallway.

Severus was pacing around the room occasionally putting things on the small table.

“What are you doing?” Remus asked.

“Gathering things to take to the house. With preparations for the students’ exams and with the wedding, not to mention packing up Spinner’s End, I have had little time to move out of here.” Severus said placing a stack of books on the table.

“Wouldn’t normal moving spells work?” Remus asked his shoes finally properly tied.

“I need not take everything with me,” Severus countered. “The Headmaster requires I keep quarters here in case of late nights, extraordinary circumstances, or something.”

Remus inclined his head. Sirius dashed past them a moment later with only a wave as he departed. Remus watched as Severus moved another lap around the room.

“Are there any last-minute crisis of faith?” Remus asked lightly.

Severus shook his head, picking up and replacing the photo in his hand.

“Maybe you should get dressed?” Remus suggested. He wasn’t sure what to do with this version of Severus. Remus had never seen the other wizard this nervous or so unsure of himself.

Severus nodded. He crossed the room placing another three books on the growing stack on the table, before grabbing his suit and heading down the hall to change.

Severus returned a few moments later fumbling with his tie. Like Black, his suit was grey with a white shirt, but he wore a green waistcoat, and silver tie.

“Stop,” Remus ordered. “Give it here.”

Severus handed over the offensive piece of silk. Remus looked it around his neck expertly fixing it into a double Windsor knot. He slipped it over his head and handed it back to Severus. Severus put it on and then became flummoxed trying to do his buttons up on his waistcoat.

Remus crossed the room pouring out a measure Fire Whiskey. Then removed a vial of potion from his pocket. He crossed back to Severus.

“Take one,” Remus ordered.

Severus looked at him dumbfounded. “Sev, you’re a nervous wreck. You can take the Calming Draught or the Fire Whiskey, but you need to do something before I go mad.”

Severus looked at the extended items.

“Remus I don’t believe…” Severus began to protest.

“They’re necessary,” Remus cut him off. “Trust me.”

Severus looked once more to the offerings before taking the potion in one gulp.

“Feel better?” Remus asked.

Severus nodded. “How did…”

Remus waved him off. “Lily thought you might need it. She knows how you get about things. You ready to go?”

Severus gave him another nod.

“Let’s go,” Remus said clapping him on the shoulder.

The two headed out of Severus’ quarters and down the corridors of the school toward the main doors. Severus did his best to ignore the whispered comments about his and Remus’ matching outfits. It was not until they reached just outside the Great Hall he lost his patience. He docked Hufflepuff twenty points for a comment from a third year about how he could at least shower if he was going to dress smart. Even Remus gave the girl a disapproving look.

“Don’t worry about them. Lily loves you and that’s all that matters,” Remus tried to reassure his friend.

“I am not worried, simply excited. However, I’m still slightly disappointed the brat was not in Gryffindor,” Severus protested.

Remus chuckled, he need not worry about Severus making it through the day. He was still glad for the Calming Drought.

“Harry,” Severus called spotting small boy running along the lake’s edge.

“Sev,” Harry yelled back dropping the newly picked up stick and running toward the wizards.

Harry was wearing a Man-U T-shirt and blue shorts. His hands covered in pond scum, dirt across his nose.

“Harry,” Severus said exasperated. “What are you doing?”

“Playing,” Harry replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“I see that,” Severus said kneeling next to the boy. “Why aren’t you dressed?”

“I’m…” Harry said pulling his T-shirt.

“In your suit,” Severus corrected.

“Mummy said I had to wait until she finished doing her hair.” Harry explained, as he tried to avoid the face cloth Severus had conjured to remove the worst of the dirt from his face and hands.

“I see,” Severus said rubbing at a stubborn spot on Harry’s nose.

“Mr. Potter, there you are,” Minerva exclaimed her frustration clear. “We’ve been looking for you for the last ten minutes.”

“Oops,” Harry muttered looking up to Severus for relief.

“Don’t give me that look,” Severus told him. Turning to Minerva he said, “I found him playing at the lake half covered in muck.”

“I see,” Minerva said tersely. “Come now Mr. Potter,” Minerva said placing a firm hand on the boy’s shoulder.

Remus chuckled at Harry’s downtrodden expression, “He looks like he’s about to be handed over the dementors.”

“With Minerva there, I’m sure he would rather face the dementors. At least, then he would get chocolate after,” Severus said mildly.

Remus laughed again. “You’re horrible.”

“Indeed,” Severus agreed.

The two crossed an invisible barrier into the pavilion and the seats and flower arrangements came into view.

“It seems Black has done an adequate job of setting the wards,” Severus commented.

“Thanks,” Sirius said sarcastically behind them. “The wards only let those whose names are on the guest walk across it.”

“And if they’re not?” Remus asked curiously.

“They’ll spend the wedding hanging from that tree there, by their ankle.” Sirius explained.

Severus snorted not sure how he felt about the punishment. Remus shook his head sadly at his friend’s antics.

“Good day gentlemen,” Albus Dumbledore greeted them warmly. He was accompanied by a small tufty haired wizard.

“This is Mr. Dixon of the Ministry,” Dumbledore said introducing each of the young men.

“Severus Tobias Snape,” Dixon asked.

“That is me,” Severus said stepping forward slightly.

“You and Lily Potter née Evans are to be wed today?” Dixon said.

“We are,” Severus confirmed.

“You will need to sign this,” Dixon said removing the scroll from his pocket.

“Do you have…” Severus asked.

“Not now, after the binding,” Dixon said rather grumpily.

“I see,” Severus said unsure of what else to say.

“Why don’t we have a seat while the other guests make their way in,” Dumbledore advised taking a seat on one of the white chairs nearby. Dixon followed suit.

“Black, you should be ready to show people to their seats,” Severus told him.

Sirius headed toward the edge of the wards to direct people in.

“Let’s sit,” Remus said beating Severus to a couple of chairs off to the side. The seats began to fill around them quickly. It was a small group mostly fellow teachers and James and Lily’s friends from the Auror’s office at the Ministry. Severus, possibly for the first time his life, wished that Petunia was there. He had to hold Lily as she sobbed when Petunia returned their invitation marked ‘unknown sender’.

The music swelled in the back of the room. Severus hadn’t realized Dixon was on his feet again. Severus felt Remus tug on his sleeve to get him up. They stood in front of the group. Severus’ expression neutral. There were a few damp eyes he could see. He hoped they were out of happiness.

Severus turned slightly to Lupin, “Where are the rings?”

“I gave them to Sirius to put on the pillow,” Remus whispered back, “Don’t worry.”

Severus nodded slightly. Severus surveyed the group once more. He didn’t know what he was looking for, but it seemed something was missing. Severus pushed that thought aside as the music changed. All heads turned to watch the bridal party enter. Harry marched in front of his mother, the green pillow that held the rings, in his hands.

Harry was carefully counting the steps like he had practiced the last week or so. The boy was so obsessed with getting it right he couldn’t see that Minerva was nearly tripping over him each time. Harry looked up to give a big smile. The boy thankfully noticed Severus’ gesture to speed up, easing the tripping hazard. Harry hurried up and was guided to stand by Remus. Minerva finished her walk turning to stand parallel to Lupin. Finally came Lily on Sirius’ arm.

Lily’s hair was drawn up in a series of fantastic twists, while some fell over her shoulder. She wore a cream color gown, coming off her shoulders. Severus had never seen anything more beautiful in his life. He was certain.

Sirius kissed Lily’s cheek before offering her hand to Severus. Severus dark eyes met her emerald ones. Her eyes were shining brightly but slightly damp. She gave him a cheeky grin. Severus lips twitched upward slightly.

“We are here today to bind Severus Tobias Snape and Lily Potter for life,” Dixon began.

Severus lost track of what Dixon was saying. He was lost in Lily’s eyes until he felt her squeeze his hand. Dixon was looking at him expectantly.

“Pardon?” Severus asked completely embarrassed.

A wave of  laughter passed through the crowd.

“Do you, Severus Tobias Snape, take Lily Potter to be your wife as long as both you shall live?” Dixon repeated.

“I do,” Severus said.

Turning to Lily, Dixon asked, “Do you Lily Potter take Severus Tobias Snape to be your husband as long as both you shall live?”

“I do,” Lily confirmed.

“Sign here,” Dixon said pointing to the lines on each end of the parchment.

Severus and Lily dutifully complied. Dixon rolled up the scroll. “I now pronounce you husband and wife. Sirius lunged, forward pulling Lily into a passionate kiss. The crowd cheered and applauded. Remus cuffed Severus on the shoulder as his the newlyweds separated. Sirius rested his forehead against Lily’s. He didn’t think there would be a happier moment in his life.

“Come on,” Lily whispered, before turning to walk down the aisle once more. Severus followed her lead, giving her his arm.

“Harry,” Severus called.

Harry ran over, Severus picked him up with his free arm. The three walked down the path to the edge of the wards.

“Sev stop,” Lily said as Severus made toward their carriage to the reception.

Severus looked at her confused.

“Pictures,” Lily said softly.

Severus sighed. He forgot that they were taking pictures. Harry’s head rested on his shoulder.

“Hungry,” Harry whined.

“Me as well,” Severus told his new son.

“Can I have the bride and groom over here please,” the photographer requested.

The man snapped a picture of Harry and Severus whispering, before saying, “We’ll have the ring bearer later.”

Severus let the boy down, “Perhaps your Godfather has something to snack on.”

Harry ran off in Sirius’s direction. Many of the guests were standing around waiting, maybe talking to those next to them.

Severus and Lily had their picture taken more times than Severus could count by themselves. Then there were the pictures with just Lily, of the bridal party, Lily and Harry, Lily, Harry and Severus, the groom and the groomsmen, the bride and groom’s parties together. Severus was certain that by the end of the day he would have had his photograph taken at least three times more than ever happened before. Both he and Harry had grown increasingly cranky as the session wore on as nobody had something to eat. Severus let out an audible sigh of relief the man announced they were finished.

Severus finally led Lily to the carriage to Hogsmeade. Harry was helped in, and lastly Severus. Severus flopped back against the seat completely undignified.

“I thought that would never end,” He grumbled.

“You didn’t have to be such a grouch,” Lily chided. “If you had smiled things would have gone faster.”

“I was smiling. The dolt just thought it was not big enough. How am I responsible for that idiocy?” Severus demanded.

“I’m hungry,” Harry pouted yet again.

“We know, Harry. We will eat soon even if it means I have to hex someone to do it,” Severus promised.

Harry crawled into Severus’ lap as they continued down to the village.

“Did you eat this morning?” Lily asked, when she thought it was safe.

Severus shook his head.

Lily sighed, “I told Remus to make sure you ate something.”

The carriage came to a halt outside the Three Broomsticks. Severus hopped out. Harry happily jumped down into Severus open arms. Lily had a bit of difficulty managing it with her dress. Severus helped her get down with as much dignity as possible. Harry ran into the pub as soon as he was down. Lily and Severus followed. The guests streamed in at the carriages pulled up. Severus and Harry nibbled on rolls (or scarfed down would be a more accurate description) as they waited. Lily wasn’t happy, but couldn’t blame them. It was well past Harry’s lunchtime and Severus hadn’t eaten all day.

People took their seats and settled in at the tables. The level of conversation increased as food was served. Severus cut up Harry’s meat for him. Harry made a face at the chicken and picked at the potatoes on his plate.

“Did you fill up on bread?” Severus asked.

“Don’t like it,” Harry pouted.

Severus sighed offering a bit of fish. Harry turned his nose up at this too. The food was fancier than their normal dinner at home. It seemed neither he nor Lily considered the fact Harry wouldn’t eat it when planning their menu.

“This is what we have, Harry,” Severus said softly. “Eat what you do like.”

“Everything okay?” Lily asked leaning into Severus.

“Harry does not care for the chicken,” Severus explained.

Harry ate a bit more potatoes before almost climbing the table to reach the basket of rolls. Severus was very glad people were too engrossed in their conversations to notice the boy’s antics. He would later see that wasn’t totally true. The moment was captured forever on film.

Severus got to eat maybe half his dinner before Lily was suggesting they make the rounds to thank each of the guests. Severus looked longingly at his plate, but agreed. They settled back down twenty minutes later. Remus took this as the sign to start the speeches.

“Good evening all,” Remus said tapping his glass. The room quieted down. “Good evening all. We are here to celebrate the marriage of Lily and Severus. I first met both of them on the train to Hogwarts, ready to start first year. I counted Lily as a friend during those years we were at school and the years since we left. Severus I came to truly know only later. I now count him as one of my friends and the best people I know. To Lily and Severus, may they have many happy years together.”

“To Lily and Severus,” the crowd toasted.

Minerva stood up next, “Lily and Severus came to Hogwarts close friends. Many of the teachers had never seen a stranger pair. Severus the dark brooding Slytherin and Lily the shining Gryffindor. You faced many struggles over the course of your friendship. Now you aim to be a family. It is in this we wish you the best of luck.”

“Good luck,” the crowd repeated.

Severus had halfway finished his dinner while the others toasted to his marriage. Finally fed and with a couple pints or two, he was starting to enjoy the day.

“Cake,” Harry said excitedly as Madame Rosemerta rolled in the three-tiered pastry.

“Indeed,” Severus agreed happily. This was one of the few things Severus had cared about in their planning of the wedding. He and Harry had tasted so many cakes they made themselves sick. They agreed on the yellow cake with buttercream icing. It was simple, but tasty. It was decorated with candied rose petals. There were frosted lilies and cauldrons. Harry had chosen the topper. It was not two people who looked like Severus and Lily, not even remotely. Harry had selected instead a lion and a snake.

“Would you like to help cut the cake Harry?” Severus asked. He looked to Lily for confirmation it was okay. Both nodded. “Then let us go.”

The three crossed to the table with the cake. Severus stood Harry on the edge of the table, clutching the boy into his chest. The three cut the first slice together. Severus served out the first two slices for Lily and himself. They each took a bite and fed it to each other being very careful not to smash it into each other’s face. They then each gave Harry a bite.

There was just one last duty to fulfill, Severus ticked off in his mental checklist. They needed to open the dancing and then Severus could sit back for the rest of the day. Lily was talking to Dumbledore who sat on her other side. He’d switched with Sirius at some point it seemed. Severus slipped away from the table with very little notice. He managed to get to the record player in the corner too.

Not caring how much attention he drew now, the more the better, Severus turned to Lily. Holding out his hand he asked, “May I have this dance Mrs. Snape?”

Lily smiled slipping her hand into Severus’ larger one. A flick of his wand and cheery waltz began to play. He and Lily had agreed that it was too sappy to have their first dance to to be to some sort of silly ballad. The pair chose a classical piece. The pair was soon joined by other couples including Dumbledore and Minerva dancing together. Severus danced with his wife through two more dances before Remus cut in. Severus headed back to the table to check on his son.

Harry sat at the table. His face was covered in icing. The grin on Harry’s face could light the room.

“How many of those have you had?” Severus asked looking at the empty cake plates in front of Harry’s place.

Harry held up four sticky fingers, “Three.”

Severus chuckled gently pushing one of the fingers down, “I think that’s more than enough cake for you young man. You should go ask your mother for a dance. Show her how you’ve been practicing.”

Harry scampered off. Severus slipped back into his chair. He pulled the tie loose around his neck before slipping it over his head.

“Severus Snape, a married man,” Sirius said falling into Lily’s empty chair. “I never thought I’d see the day.”

“You’re not the only one,” Severus agreed, watching Harry attempt and fail to lead his mother in the dance.

“Remus told me about you giving him Spinner’s End,” Sirius said after a moment.

“You object,” Severus asked.

Sirius shook his head, “No, it will be good for him. He needs a space to call his own.”

“There is a small cellar that can be used for his transformations,” Severus told the Auror. He had forgotten to mention it to Lupin.

“Is it weird for someone else to be calling your place home?” Sirius asked.

“No, because Spinner’s End has never been home. If I ever had a home it was with the Evans or here at Hogwarts,” Severus told him truthfully.

Sirius nodded solemnly, “I know what you mean.”

The dancing and talking went on for several more hours. Lily spent much of the time on the dance floor. By the end of the night she danced with every man at least once. She managed to drag Severus back on the floor several times after opening the dancing. Severus however enjoyed watching others and playing with Harry more.

The night started to wind down. Harry was asleep across a bench in one corner of the room. Severus sat at the table, his suit jacket long ago removed, his waistcoat undone. Lily had changed into a light blue sundress at some point.

“We should think about getting ready to go,” Lily said sitting down next to her husband.

Severus nodded, “We should, the inn is expecting us tonight. We still need to gather our things and pick up the car from the rental agency. Do you want to go get Harry?”

“No need for that Mr. and Mrs. Snape,” Sirius cut it.

“What are you on about?” Severus demanded.

“Let our wedding present to you be to enjoy your first night as husband and wife alone,” Sirius explained.

“We will drop Harry off tomorrow afternoon,” Remus promised. He knew Lily and Severus both were looking forward to spending the time away as a family.

Lily jumped up to kiss both men on their cheeks, “You’re wonderful.”

“I take it Misters Black and Lupin informed you of the change of plans regarding young Harry?” Dumbledore asked.

Lily and Severus nodded, “Now Severus, I know you were originally planning to return to class on Tuesday. That will simply not do. You are to take the whole next week.”

“Headmaster,” Severus protested.

“Ah, ah, ah, Severus,” Dumbledore dismissed. “We are not to see you until Monday next.”

“What about my classes? Exams are almost here.” Severus asked.

“Don’t worry about that, my boy. I will see to everything, personally. You are to enjoy the time with your beautiful wife and son.” Dumbledore ordered.

“Thank you Albus,” Lily said happily.

“It is my pleasure Mrs. Snape,” Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eye.

They watched as the Headmaster joined the group of teachers all presumably headed back to the school.

“If we aren’t taking Harry with us, we need to say goodbye,” Lily said.

Severus extended his hand and Lily intertwined their fingers as they crossed the room to wake their sleeping son.

“Harry love,” Lily said gently shaking the boy’s shoulder.

Harry groaned, “Wha?”

“You need to get up love,” Lily commanded softly.

“We go now?” Harry asked sleepily.

“We are,” Severus confirmed putting the boy on his feet. Severus sat down on the now vacant spot. Lily sat down next to him Harry leaned against one of Severus’ knees not really awake enough to support himself completely.

“Harry,” Lily said softly. “You’re going to sleep over with Moony and Padfoot tonight.”

“Don’t want to,” Harry pouted.

“I thought you like staying with Moony and Padfoot?” Lily said softly.

“Want to go with you,” Harry continued to pout.

“You’ll be with us tomorrow,” Severus reassured.

“Want to go now,” Harry told him. “Why can’t I come now?”

“Your mother and I would like to engage in some adult activities, Mr. Potter. It is much easier to do when there aren’t little boys around.” Severus told him bluntly.

It was almost entirely over Harry’s sleep fogged brain. But that did not stop Lily from smacking Severus with an exasperated “Sev”. Her head fell on Severus’ shoulder.

“Then I want to be a grown-up,” Harry said.

Both adults let out peels of laughter at Harry’s innocent comment.

“Someday my love,” Lily promised.

One last photo was snapped that night. It was of the family seated there on the bench. Of all the pictures taken that day, it was Severus’ favorite. It was the one that was on his desk at Hogwarts from his return from the honeymoon to this day.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Thanks to Pan as always for beta-ing this chapter.
To see the full fun and adventures of Severus' stag do here's the link:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1173376/chapters/4557339

The best idea for what Sirius and Remus did to the statue of James will be mentioned in the next chapter. Keep it clean! Have fun!
Thanks again for reading! See you next time!