Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The babies make their arrival. Not everyone is overly excited about it.
Chapter 22

“I do not know how much you remember about those last few weeks before your sisters’ arrival.  Then again, I don’t know how much I remember of those weeks after either,”  Severus said.


Harry gave an indifferent shrug,  “Was it like when Mum had Jules?”


Severus nodded.  “Similar, but much more chaotic.  I was a first time father and it showed.”


Harry gave him a confused frown in response.


“I was overly anxious about many things.  There were things I did not take into consideration.  Mostly, I was not prepared for how exhausting those first several months could be,”  Severus explained.


“Oh,” Harry said uncertainly.


“Let me explain,” Severus began…  

 


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


 

The birth plan was worked out by mid-March.  Severus would come home if he was at school. He would then alert Lupin who would collect Harry.  Harry would say goodbye to his parents before retreating to stay with Lupin until they were summoned after the birth.  Severus would Floo  St. Mungo’s for a midwife.  Lily would give birth at home, unless some emergency arose.


When the time did arrive things went surprisingly smoothly.  Severus was woken in the early hours of the morning after Lily suffered a series of sharp pains.  They waited until what might be considered a reasonable time for breakfast to summon Lupin.  They made sure to say goodbye to Harry and promised they would see him soon.


Severus did his best to comfort Lily through the contractions.  She didn’t scream or curse him once.  That surprised him greatly, maybe he had just seen too many Muggle films.  At the end of the night he and Lily welcomed a pair of girls.  Both were almost seven pounds.  They were red and squashy, and Severus would swear he had never seen anything more beautiful in his life.


Lily fell asleep not long after the birth.  Severus took the opportunity to Floo Lupin.  Harry was passed out on the couch waiting for news.  Severus told him he had sisters, but they would have to wait until morning to see them.  One of the babies began to cry as he finished his call.


Severus carefully picked up his tiny daughter.  Dahlia Elizabeth Snape was the older of the girls.  She had very little chin, large ears that stuck out, and a small tuft of dark hair.


“Hush,” Severus soothed, pacing the room.


“She’s probably hungry,” Lily said sleepily.  “Bring her over here.”


Severus did as commanded.  Severus watched as Lily nursed their child for the first time.


“What are you thinking?” Lily asked as she watched Severus’ face.


“I do not think there are words that can explain how I currently feel,”  Severus said after a moment.


“No words?  None?” Lily asked.


“None,” Severus confirmed.


“Didn’t think you’d ever be here did you?” Lily asked.


Severus fought off the emotion threatening to choke him.  “Never.  I kept thinking my life could not get better.  You and I became friends again, dating you, marrying you, and becoming a father to Harry.  One thing after another continues to prove me wrong.”


“Maybe you should just accept happiness then, Sev.”  Lily said moving Dahlia off her breast.  “Take your daughter.  She needs to be burped and changed.  When you’re done, bring Iris here.”


Severus nodded.  He did as he was told and returned several moments later with Iris Calypso, whose middle name meant “hidden”, just as she was in Lily’s initial scans . Iris was slightly shorter than her sister.  She had a bit more hair that was also lighter in color.  Iris so far had put up little fuss.  Lily said she must take after Severus than since both Harry and Dahlia were very much fond of attention.  They would have to wait and see if the pattern held.


Lily feed Iris before giving her over to her father to be burped and changed.  When both girls’ needs were met Severus collapsed into bed with Lily.  They managed to get a few hours’ sleep before the crying woke them one more.


By the time Harry and Lupin arrived after breakfast they had gone through the cycle at least three more times.  They were just finishing one when Harry came into the room.


“Hi sweetie,” Lily greeted.


“Mummy,” Harry replied, trying to break out of Remus’ grip.


“Give your mother a moment Harry,” Severus advised.


Harry pouted.


“Would you like to meet Dahlia while your mother finishes with Iris?” Severus suggested.


Harry nodded.  Severus directed Harry into a nearby chair before carefully placing his eldest daughter into Harry’s arms.

 

“She’s so little,” Harry said in wonder.


“You were even smaller when you were born,” Remus observed.


“I was?” Harry asked in disbelief.


“A bit,” Lily confirmed.  She handed her daughter over to Severus.


Harry held Dahlia for a few more minutes.  He explored her tiny hands.


“She has Daddy’s nose,” Harry said staring into the little girl’s squishy, red face.


“Unfortunately,” Severus sighed.  Dahlia nose was not as oversized to her face, but there was a distinct hook to it.


Once she had her clothes adjusted back in place Lily asked, “Now, am I going to get a proper ‘Hello’ from my darling boy?”


Remus lifted the baby out of Harry’s arms with expert ease.  Harry scrambled out of the chair and then up onto his parents’ bed.


“Gently,” Severus warned, perhaps a bit more sternly than necessary as Harry gave his mother a hug.


“You’re fine,” Lily told Harry pulling him to her side.


Harry relaxed into her side as she kissed the top of his messy head.


“I missed you,” Harry told her.

 

“I missed you too, love.” Lily said with a squeeze.  “Did you and Moony have fun at least?”


Harry shook his head.


“Oh no,” Lily said sadly.  “What did you do?”


Harry launched into the story of his day.  If he hadn’t said he hadn’t had fun Lily would have thought Harry had a very good time with Remus.  She was a bit let down they hadn’t had fun.  One of the reasons Remus was chosen to look after Harry was because they thought Harry would be the most relaxed there.


“I drew you a picture,” Harry said wrapping up his story.


“May I see it?” Lily asked curiously.


Harry looked to Remus.


“Severus, can you get it out of my pocket,” Remus asked.  


The werewolf turned so his pocket was turned to the Potions Master.  Remus lifted his arm slightly as Severus dug into the blazer pocket.  He came up with a folded bit of paper a moment later.  Severus gave it a cursory glance before handing it to Lily.  There were many things that could be said about Harry, that he was an excellent drawer, was not one of them.  Lily looked the paper over.


“It’s lovely sweetie,” Lily said kissing Harry once more.


“It’s Hogwarts,” Harry explained.


Now that he said that all the adults could sort of see it.


“What’s this green thing up here?” Lily pointed to a large green blob in the top right corner.


“It’s a dragon,” Harry said as if it was obvious.


“Why is there a dragon at Hogwarts?” Severus asked curiously.


Harry often had amusing explanations for including particular items in his drawings.  This time Harry only gave a slight shrug.


“We should let your mother rest for a bit,” Remus suggested.


Harry pouted.


“Would you like to meet Iris before you go?” Severus asked.


Harry gave an enthusiastic nod.  Severus gestured for Harry to return to his previous seat.  Harry got down from the bed jostling Lily a good deal.  Harry missed the grimace that crossed her face at this.  Once back in place Severus placed his younger daughter into Harry’s arms.  Remus made sure to snap a picture here too.


“She looks different,” Harry commented looking at Iris’ face.


“She does,” Severus confirmed.


“Twins are supposed to look the same,” Harry protested.


“They can, but not always,” Severus corrected.  “Twins means that two babies were born by the same woman at the same time.   That is all.  Twins that look the same are a special kind called ‘identical’.  Your sisters are as you commented do not look the same and therefore called fraternal.  Although the more accurate term would be sororal.  They could also have been two different sexes.”  Severus explained.


“Oh,” Harry said slightly embarrassed.  Iris let out a cry startling Harry.


Severus quickly picked her up.  


“You did nothing,” Severus reassured.  “Sometimes babies just cry.  Other times they are trying to tell us something.”


“What’s she telling us?”  Harry asked.


“What did you think?” Lily asked.  


Harry shrugged.


“I believe she’s hungry.”  Severus commented as the baby began to mouth his shirt.


“She ate an hour ago,” Lily commented.


“And yet,” Severus replied as the baby’s cries intensified.


“I believe that’s our cue to leave.” Remus said standing.


Harry looked to his parents.


“We’ll see you in a bit,” Lily promised.


Harry gave a sad nod.  He followed Remus out of his parents’ room.  They did not return to the fireplace as they came.  Instead Remus led the way out through the front door.


“Why aren’t we Floo-ing back.” Harry asked grabbing Remus’ extended hand.


“We could if you’d like,” Remus said, “but I thought we could get some ice-cream on the way.   Do you still want to Floo?”  Remus asked jokingly.


Harry shook his head, “This way’s good.”


The two walked back to Remus’ house talking about dragons.  They stopped in the park where the man was selling ice-cream.  Remus wouldn’t let Harry have his until they were seated on a nearby bench.


Harry looked forlorn even as his face became covered in chocolate ice-cream.  It would have been funny, if it were not so heartbreaking.


“What’s wrong Harry?” Remus asked finishing off his own small ice-cream.


“When do I get to go home, Moony?” Harry asked over his ice-cream.


Remus gave him a small smile, “In a day or two.”


“Why? Why can't I go home now?” Harry demanded.


“It’s hard work having a baby, let alone two.”  Remus was trying his best to explain this.  He didn’t want Harry to feel as he was being replaced, or less loved.  “Your mum and dad need a bit of time to settle into their new routine.”


“I could help,” Harry insisted.  


“Of course you could, Harry.  And you will when you go back home.  Right now though, your mum needs to rest.”  Remus was pretty sure he failed in his goal.


Harry’s mood hadn’t improved after their discussion.  In fact, Harry had become much more sullen.  Remus did all he could think of to improve it, but nothing worked.  


Harry’s mood did improve for a while when he did come home.  Even if it was relatively short-lived.  It seemed like the adults, including Remus, were always busy with the twins.


After a bit of time with the babies Harry didn’t think they were so interesting anymore.  All they did was sleep, eat, and poop.  They were boring.  They cried all the time.


Harry’s temper only got worse when Severus returned to work.  The twins were two weeks old at that point.  Remus came over during the day to help.  Lily kept asking Harry if he wanted to help too.  He didn’t.  He wanted to go to the park and cinema like they used to.


The girls were almost a month old when Severus finally found time in his schedule to take Harry to the park, just the two of them.  Harry had been other times before that, but it was always Remus or Black who took him.  Severus chased his son around the park and pushed him on the swings before leaving Harry to play with the other children.


Severus never saw it coming.  Harry was playing with another little boy one moment, the next Harry was punching the boy in the face.  Severus sprang to his feet pulling the boys apart as Harry continued to swing.


“Harry James Potter! Stop that this instant!” Severus snapped.


Harry’s arms stilled.


Severus guided Harry away from his victim.  “Would you care to explain to me what just happened here?”


Harry didn’t say anything, just gave his father an angry, defiant look.


“You’re grounded.”  Severus said firmly.  “You’ll have no dessert or telly for the rest of the day.  Now, you are to apologize to that boy.”


“No,” Harry said defiantly.


Severus raised one eyebrow in warning.  “You need to tell him you’re sorry, Harry.”


“I’m not.  He’s stupid.”  Harry countered.


“Be that as it may, Mr. Potter, you are in the wrong here.  You owe him an apology.”  Severus was losing his patience.


“Not saying sorry,” Harry said crossing his arms.


“Very well, no dessert or telly tomorrow either,” Severus told him.


“Don’t care,” Harry replied.


“Harry James, if you do not apologize to that boy you will not see your broom until your birthday.” Severus threatened.


That finally got the response Severus was looking for.   Harry marched over to the boy and gave what appeared to be the most insincere apology Severus had ever heard.  That was saying a great deal having grown up on the receiving end of Tobias’ and the Marauders’ hijinks.


Severus marched Harry back home in silence.  He ordered the boy up to his room as soon as they crossed the threshold.


“How was the park?” Lily asked.


It appeared both girls were asleep at the moment.  Severus had to be thankful for small favors.  He flopped down on the couch next to Lily.  Chaucer jumped into his lap demanding to be pet. Severus absent-mindedly ran a hand down the cat’s back.


“That bad?” Asked Lily.


“Our son punched another boy.”  Severus explained, his eyes falling shut.  His hand continuing to pet the cat.  Occasionally he would scratch behind her ears or under her chin.    


Lily let out a small gasp.


Severus continued, “It was only the threat of taking his broom away until his birthday that convinced him to apologize at all.”


“You didn’t,” Lily said in disbelief.


“I did,” Severus confirmed.  Severus let out a soft sigh.  “I don’t know what’s gotten into him.  It’s almost as if he’s a different child since the girls were born.”


Lily let out her own sad sigh. “It’s a big change for him.  He’s not an only child anymore.”


“I am aware,” Severus grumbled.


“He needs time to adjust.” Lily reminded him.  


“How is he supposed to adjust when he all but ignores his sisters?  The only time he seems to want to interact is when they need a feed, or a nappy change, and it’s never to help with those.” Severus said his frustration clear.


“I know,” Lily agreed. “The books say not to push him. I wish I had someone to ask about this. I miss my mum,” Lily said.


Severus pulled her into a hug as the tears began to fall in earnest.   Chaucer hopped down, annoyed at the humans for jostling her out of her spot.


The answer to their problems came in the most unexpected source, the mother of one of Severus’ troublemaking students.


Over the course of the year Severus had overheard Charlie Weasley discussing his numerous younger siblings, four at least, in class. When the boy then tried to set free a Cornish Pixie in the class it gave Severus the perfect opportunity to request a meeting with the boy’s mother.


Severus wasn’t quite sure what to expect of Molly Weasley. Dumbledore told him she was the younger sister of Gideon and Fabian Prewitt. She’d also been a Gryffindor. That was all he knew, except for the talk of her son. He had very little to go on.


“Hello Professor Snape,” a short plump woman with the stock of vibrant red hair greeted him.


“Good afternoon Mrs. Weasley,” Severus returned. He gestured for her to have a seat.


The woman cast a curious eye around the office. The room was dark and lined with many specimen jars filled with multicolored liquids and floating bits of things.


“How can I help you, Professor Snape?” Molly asked.


“Your son Charles tried to release a Cornish Pixie my class this afternoon.” Severus explained.


“Oh dear,” Molly said with a laugh.


Severus quirked an eyebrow in response. “This is no laughing matter Madam. His actions could have had very serious consequence.” Severus rebuked.


“It was just a bit of end of term excitement.” Molly excused.


“That’s no reason to put the welfare of his classmates in danger. This is not the first time your son has brought some beast into my class either.” Severus told her.


“I see,” Molly said shrugging slightly. “I’ll have a word with him. Is there anything else you’d like to discuss?”


Severus told her about her sons’ marks as she was there. He then paused.


“If it is not too much trouble, I would like to ask your advice on a personal matter,” Severus asked nervously. He wasn’t sure if he came through in his voice or not. His well-honed spying skills and become rusty from disuse.


“What’s the matter?” Molly asked sweetly.


“My wife and I recently welcomed twins into our lives.” Severus began.


“How old?” Molly asked excitedly.


“They will be five weeks on Thursday,” Severus supplied instantly. He sounded every bit the proud father. “The issue is our son. He’s changed since the girls’ birth. He is more sullen, quick-tempered. He has no interest in the girls. When he does try and get our attention, it is when we’re clearly busy with tending to one of their needs.”


“No surprise there,” Molly said sadly.


Severus frowned. He didn’t like that response.


“Are you spending any time with him? Is your wife?” Molly asked.


“Not as much as we used to. We talked to him…”


“Is it just you? Are you solely focused on him or are you making dinner, the laundry, etc.?” Molly asked.


Severus looked shamefaced. He was sad to admit most of the time he had spent with Harry recently was far from being solely focused on Harry. He told Molly so.


“Don’t feel so bad.” Molly encouraged. “We all make mistakes when raising our children. My first suggestion would be to make sure you spend some time focusing on young Harry.”


Severus opened his mouth to speak, but stopped when Molly continued.


“I don’t mean you have to give him all the time he was used to. Try starting with twenty or thirty minutes. Put aside the baby’s things to focus on talking with your son. Try to get your wife to too. Harry needs to know he is not being replaced by the beautiful babes.”


Severus nodded.


“You can also try to involve Harry in the babies’ care.” Molly suggested.


“We’ve asked if he wants to help.” Severus defended.


“Yes, well it sounds like you’ve been doing it the wrong way. Give him special jobs to do. Let him to the soaping and rinsing off  of the baby for example. Let him help choose the babies’ clothes or tell them stories. He needs to  feel involved.  ”


Severus gave another nod.


“Make sure you let him feel whatever it is he needs to feel. If you make him feel he has to love the babies all the time or all the changes they’ve brought to his life, it’s a sure fire way to cause him to grow resentful of the girls.” Molly warned.


Severus’ mouth dried a little bit at the statement. He hoped they hadn’t been pushing Harry too hard. He had no desire for Harry, or any of his children,  to grow up resenting each other.


“The last thing is probably the most important,” Molly stressed. “Give him time. That’s a lot of change for a boy to go through. He will find his own way of bonding with your girls. Just make sure you and your wife are there for him.”


Severus gave her a final nod.


“Is that it?” Molly asked.


“It is,” Severus confirmed. “I can’t tell you how nice it is to have another parent to ask these sorts of questions.”


“Well after seven children you learn a thing or two,” Molly said lightly.


“Seven,” Severus repeated.

 

“Seven,” Molly said again. “I’m not sure my Percy ever forgive me for having the twins. Those three are as different as night and day. Percy is all books and order. The twins have never found a spot of trouble they couldn’t make worse.” Molly left it at this.


Severus only hoped these boys, the twins, mellowed by the time they came to Hogwarts. He had no desire to deal with the second coming of the Marauders.


“Let me know if I can be of any help in the future, Professor,” Molly said rising from her chair. “I’m only a Floo away.”


“I will keep that in mind,” Severus told her truthfully.


Severus walked Molly back to the corridor. As soon as she left he wrote down everything she told him. He slipped the parchment into his pocket as soon as the ink dried so he wouldn’t forget it.


Severus came home that evening feeling both excited and relieved. He had an idea of what to do now, and a new resource to turn to. He gave Lily the parchment to read as he went up to spend some time with Harry. After only a few days of the recommended changes, Severus could see the difference.


Harry was more like his old self. He was expressing far more interest in his little sisters and helping out voluntarily. Harry was also much more willing to confide in his parents, especially Severus.


Severus hadn’t realized just how stressed Harry had been about the changes. The boy had never told him how scared he was. He feared that Severus might love the babies more than him and he mentioned the fact it felt as if he didn’t matter. Harry hadn’t said it quite like that, but this is what Severus said taking from the first rather painful and awkward talks. Things were much better now.


Severus looked forward to his time with Harry a great deal. In some ways, it was possibly the best part of his day (there were far less tears involved with Harry). Severus loved his girls dearly, but he would be glad when they reached the stage where they did more than sleep, eat, and poop. Severus was glad they finally worked out how to balance with all the members of the family getting what they needed.
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I haven't had kids or had to deal with sibling rivalry so I did my best.

As always, thanks to my beta, Pan.

Next time, the family tries to mend some very important bridges.