Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Lily needs to get out of the house and Severus makes a confession.
Chapter 4

“That exchange of letters and biscuits opened the door to much more correspondence between your mother and I.  We began to write regularly.  I told her about the happenings at the school and how my students had managed to foul their potions in one form or another.  In exchange, I received notes about her own life, many about how you, Harry, were growing.”  Severus explained.  

“We wrote almost daily.  My colleagues were surprised to see such a change in my post habits.  More than one of them asked me who was writing to me with such frequency,”  Severus paused.  “Minerva will also tell you she started to notice a change in my disposition, but that’s rubbish.”

“Your mother and I continued on in this manner of constant letter writing for almost a month, before Lily suggested we meet in person once more.  Sadly I was not able to make that meeting.  I had a student blow themselves up an hour before I was to meet your mother.  I had a good deal of paperwork to fill out after the incident.”

“I am told Remus and your godfather took a great deal of pleasure in making light of my cancellation.  They believed your mother a fool for giving me such a chance.  They felt if I wanted to spend time with your mother I should stick to my arrangements even if something came up.  Black even went so far as to tell your mother he often skived off work for his frequent dates with questionable people,”  Severus smirked slightly.  “This did not win him any favor with your mother.”

“Remus was more understanding and agreed to babysit.  Your mother was uncomfortable with the idea of taking you out in the wizarding world, just yet.  She was afraid people would crowd around you.  Not to do harm, but say they had seen, touched, etc. ‘The-Boy-Who-Lived’.  You know how it is.”  Severus explained.  Harry nodded at his father’s comment.

“As unpleasant as it is now, imagine being under the age of two and such a thing occurring,” Severus continued.

“To make sure a repeat of the previous weeks’ events did not reoccur I took precautions.  On Friday afternoon I locked and warded my classroom, storeroom and all the potions cabinets so only myself, Madam Pomfrey, or Professor Dumbledore could open them.  As before, I told the Headmaster I would be away for the day and if any members of my House were in need of me they would have to wait for my return.  If any potions were needed for a life threatening injury I could be reached by Patronus, but would only respond if there was such an emergency.”  Severus told Harry.

“You really wanted to go on this date with Mum, huh?” Harry commented.

“It was not a date,” Severus clarified.  “It was simply a couple of friends walking around the village they attended school in and enjoying each other’s company.  It would have been inappropriate for your mother to date at this point.  Your father died little over a month before.  It was not a date.  I told them that then, and I am telling you now.”

“Who’s ‘them’?” Harry asked confused.

“Lupin and Black,” Severus explained.  “They sent me a note at this point to warn me off Lily.  They thought it was… in bad taste that a ‘Death Eater should try and make a move on Harry Potter’s mother’.  If I did not know better, I would have said they threatened all of Lily’s male acquaintances in such a manner, but it was just me.  They seemed to have forgotten I was Lily’s friend before Hogwarts and even before the Marauders were friends.  They felt it was up to them to protect your mother.”

“She couldn’t have like that,” Harry said amused.

“Indeed.” Severus agreed with a laugh.  “She told them to get stuffed.  She would be friends with whomever she pleased and she would see me on Saturday next.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Severus stepped from the hearth into the sitting room of his home on Spinner’s End.  He had ten minutes to get to Lily’s.  He decided to Apparate this time.  He could use the time to do last minute preparation.  His clothes were casual, charcoal grey slacks with a lighter grey sweater over an emerald green turtleneck.  He fully expected Lily to mock his outfit for being entirely too Slytherin.  Severus transfigured his cloak into a long overcoat.  It was best to dress like a Muggle even if it was only to walk down the block to Lily’s house form the corner.  He had had enough stares to last a lifetime for his odd dress sense as a child.  He could transfigure them back in Hogsmeade.

Severus checked the clock on the mantle.  It was five minutes before he was expected at Lily’s.  Good as time to head over now.  Severus buttoned the coat all the way up against the cold.  He would suggest stopping by or starting their visit to Hogsmeade with a trip to the Three Broomsticks.  It was too cold to do much wandering around the village.

Severus Apperated a few houses away from Lily’s.  He forgot how useful that particular grove of trees was.  Severus sped toward the familiar oak door.  He did not even need to knock before Lily opened the door.

“Right on time, as always,” Lily said by way of greeting.

Severus simply nodded.  “Are you ready?”

Lily cast one more look over her shoulder.  Severus could just see Lupin holding Harry who appeared to be crying.

“Is he alright?” Severus asked nervously.

“Harry?” Lily asked.

Severus nodded.

“He’s fine.  Just a bit of separation anxiety, perfectly normal.  Remus will have him sorted in no time.  Don’t you worry.  Now, I believe you promised me a day in Hogsmeade.”  Lily said wrapping her Gryffindor scarf around her neck once more.

“I did,” Severus confirmed offering his left arm.

Lily instantly slipped her arm through.  The pair turned on the stop to reappear at the top of the High Street.  The village looked the perfect picture of Christmas time.  All the shops had put u wreathes and other decorations.  The village was freshly dusted with a layer of now.  Everywhere they turned was bustling with holiday shoppers.  It seemed like every person in England decided to do their gift shopping in the village that day.  Severus was not happy.  He expected the day to be much more laidback.

“Can I suggest starting at the Three Broomsticks?” Severus asked hopefully to his companion.

“Good as any place to start.” Lily agreed.

The pair made their way down the path and through the bustling crowds of shoppers.  They wormed their way into the busy inn. Even though the room was crowded, it seemed less packed than the village’s muddy streets.

“I’ll go find us a table,” Lily said looking around the congested room.

“Butterbeer?” Severus asked.

“Sounds perfect,” Lily said heading toward the back.

Severus found her several minutes later, tucked almost behind one of the large Christmas trees.  He handed her a mug before taking a sip of his fire-whiskey laced hot chocolate.  Lily attempted to say something to him, but he could not make it out over the din of the room.  Severus took out his wand muttering a few words and the pair was encased in a cloud of almost silence.

“It’s impolite to cast privacy spells in a place like this Sev,” Lily chided softly.

Severus shrugged.  Lily almost laughed at the incongruent gesture.  Severus was so stiff, formal, a master of words.  Him shrugging reminded her so much of the lost little boy she met in the play park all those years ago.

“If you wish to have any semblance of conversation the spells have to stay up,” Severus justified.

Lily agreed.  “How are things at the school?”

“The same as always.  The students are becoming increasingly restless as the Christmas holiday approaches.  My colleagues continue to treat me as if I were still a lost third year.  All in all, its rather aggravating.”  Severus said taking another sip of hot chocolate.  “How are you faring in the world of single motherhood?”

Lily let out a sad sigh.  “We’re doing as well as can be expected.  Harry is still asking for his dad.  We’ve pretty much adjusted to the new house.  It’s been hard.  Sirius and Remus try their best to help.  Remus sleeps over most nights, so we alternate who gets up if Harry wakes.  Still, sometimes, I wish they would just give me room to breathe.  You have no idea how much I needed this day out.” Lily said sadly.

“I can only imagine,” Severus agreed.  “Is there anything special you’d like to achieve?”

Lily gave his a small half-smile.  “You’re going to wish you never asked that.  I’d like to get a bit of Christmas shopping done.”

“You and every other witch in Britain,” Severus grumbled.  “Very well.  Where would you like to start?”

Lily thought a moment.  “I heard there is a good toy store here.  I want to find something for Harry and Dudley.”

“Dudley?” Severus asked mildly confused.

“My nephew,” Lily supplied.

“Potter doesn’t…. Tuney reproduced?” Severus asked flabbergasted.

Lily nodded.  “She has a little boy too.  He’s about a month or so older than Harry.”

“I never would have expected that,” Severus said softly.

“Me either.  He’s a wretch of man, Petunia’s husband.  He looks as if he swallowed a vat of Swelling Solution.  He hates everything he considers ‘abnormal’ and doesn’t stop talking about drills.  Honestly, he makes Binns lectures on goblin uprisings seem fascinating,” Lily told him.

“Sounds as if Petunia found her perfect match.” Severus said snidely.

“You’re telling me,” Lily set down her mug.  “We’d better get going.  I told Remus I would  be home to put Harry to bed.  Besides, the toy store I wanted to look for a couple of things for the Marauders.”

Severus’ cringe at the nickname for his childhood tormentors went unnoticed.  “Very well.  Then let us proceed.”

The toy store was back the way they came and across from Zonko’s.  It was packed with mothers with children, mostly too young to attend Hogwarts.

Severus cast a disapproving eye around the shop.  It was packed full of brightly colored, most likely noisy devices.  It held none of his interest.  In fact he wanted to leave as soon as humanly possible.  A desire only doubled as a toddler began to scream less than five feet away when their mother picked up the wrong colored teddy bear.

“What do you think of this, Sev?”  Lily asked holding up some sort of toy.

Severus was at a lost.  All he could tell was there were lots of different knobs, buttons, and such.  “I have no idea.  Lily, I must confess.  I have no idea how to deal with a child Harry’s age.  I have no experience with them.  I can think of little more that puts me at such a level of unease.”

Lily frowned.  “You’re not that bad, Sev.  Honest.  You don’t make Harry cry, and he’s a pretty good judge of character.  We should have taken that as a hint about Pettigrew.  How do you think he would like this?”

“I have no earthly idea.  If it makes a great deal of noise I expect so.  That’s typically what children like is it not?” Severus asked much as answered.

Lily set the toy back down.  “Maybe you should come for Christmas.  You can spend some more time with Harry.  You can see he’s not some dangerous beast to fear.  Come on, let’s go to the bookstore.  At least you might be of some use there.”

Lily was right.  The trip to the bookstore was much more productive.  They purchased books not only for Lupin and Black, but several for themselves and a few for Harry that did not make Severus want to Curcio the author.

Severus said goodbye to Lily at his own fireplace at Hogwarts.  They agreed it made little sense for him to escort her home when he would have to Floo or Apparate back to the school.  It would also mean Lily was spared the cold walk back home.

Thinking about it, Severus considered the day a success, including confessing his unease with Harry to Lily.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the delay. My beta had real life things come up and I didn't want to give you a story that looked like it was written by a drunk monkey.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Next time, Christmas with the whole gang.