Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
HI! Sorry its been so long. Hopefully this chap was worth the wait.
Tales of the Past

Snape gently gathered Alexia into his arms and left the house. He didn’t even bother to close the front door. Severus Snape had only one thing on his mind; Get Alexia out of there!

Alexia whimpered in fear and pain as the dark man walked briskly down the road toward the park. “W-where a-are we g-going?” Al then began to cough violently. It hurt to breathe and to talk.

Snape slowed his pace and looked down at the frightened child in his arms. “You need a healer. I know someone who can assist you but I need you to hold onto me tightly and to not let me go.” he emphasized the words ‘not let go’. Staring intently into the girl’s eyes he said. “Do you understand?”

“Y-yes sir.” Al began to cough again.

Snape gripped the girl tightly and spun on the spot. One moment they were standing in front of the Park Gates the next they were standing outside a farmhouse. Alexia gasped and passed out from exhaustion. Quickly Severus approached the house and knocked on the door. Praying the woman was home.

For a few moments the house remained dark, but just when Snape was ready to break down the door a woman opened the door and turned the porch light on.

“Severus? My lord what’s happened? And who is that?” The woman was tall and had long ebony colored hair and dark blue eyes. Eileen Snape opened the door wider and motioned for them to enter quickly.

“Mother I will explain everything when I can but for the moment I have need of your healer abilities.” Snape followed his mother up the stairs and to his former bedroom.

“Set her down.” Eileen pointed her wand at Alexia and began working her magic.

“What’s going on here?” Tobias Snape entered the room. He took in the scene before him and turned to his youngest son. “Well?”

“She has need of immediate assistance.” Severus watched his mother work.

“And?”

“And that’s all you need to know for the time being.”

Tobias’s eyes narrowed. “Mind your tone; don’t forget whom you’re talking to.”

Severus paled slightly. “Yes sir.”

Eileen looked up at her husband and son. “You two will go downstairs and wait for me. There’s nothing you can do right now.” She eyed her son for a brief moment. “You will explain everything when I come downstairs.”

Severus swallowed his sarcastic retort and nodded to his mother. Now was not the time to irritate her or to loose his composure.

Eileen turned back to her patient murmuring spells and waving her wand.

Tobias left the room muttering about bossy wives, insolent sons, and a strong need for coffee.

Severus went to follow but turned to look at the small six year old one last time. Again the sight of the bruised and frail child made Severus feel something he never thought possible. ‘Please let her be alright. No one deserves what this child has gone through, especially a child this young.’ Severus Snape then silently slipped out of the room leaving Alexia Potter to the healing powers of Eileen Snape nee Prince.

*********

Severus and Tobias Snape sat silently in the kitchen waiting for Eileen. Neither male wanted to speak to the other. And neither wanted to anger the already emotional Eileen.

It wasn’t until after midnight the Eileen Snape entered the room, clearly emotional and enraged. “Who the bloody hell hurt that child! And who is she?” Eileen hissed angrily with unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

Tobias turned to his son and raised an eyebrow. “Severus, I believe now would be a good time to explain what’s going on.”

Severus stood and paced the room. How does one explain something like this to ones parents? Closing his eyes he ceased his meaningless pacing. “I don’t know where to begin.”

“Try the beginning.” Tobias said sarcastically.

“Tobias Hector Snape shut your howling screamer!” Eileen smacked her husband hard on the arm. Turning to her son her eyes softened. “Sev, why don’t you start by telling us the child’s name? We’ll move on from there.”

Severus appreciated his mother’s attempt at trying to make this easier. But the fact remained that nothing could make this easy. Nothing.

“Her name is Alexia. And for the last 6 years she has lived with her muggle aunt and uncle.” Sighing he added sadly. “I believe it was her uncle that beat her.”

“Why? Why was she living with them? Where were her parents?” Tobias asked while ignoring the looks his son and wife were giving him.

“They’re dead.” At least her mother is. Severus found himself thinking.

In his frustration Severus threw himself into his chair and spoke down to the floor. “What I’m about to tell you will most likely forever change your opinion of me. But I want you both to know that I’m not proud of my past. You both know what I am and what I did. If I could I would change it. However the fact remains that I can not.” he looked up finally and gazed into the eyes of his mother and father. “If you never wish to lay your eyes upon me again I would not blame you.”

Eileen reached out to her son and placed her hand on his knee. “I’ll never turn you away, my son. You have made mistakes, but you have also made up for your past sins. You must forgive yourself my child, for I have.”

Severus shook his head. “Let me tell you, then decide.” Closing his eyes he began. “As you both know I was a spy for the Order during the later years of the war. What you possibly do not know or realize is that I had to…participate, in certain activities with my fellow Death Eaters.” Severus chuckled without humor. “We Death Eaters were cruel and merciless. I did what I could for some lives. But for others there was no hope.” Severus closed his eyes and pinched his nose. “A woman I knew during my school years, Lily Evans, was one such soul I was able to save, “he spat the word out bitterly. The memory of the poor broken woman he’d been forced to torture before being able to help her escape was one of his most painful ones. “In the end I was able to help her escape. But not before we had had our fun with her and the others.

“Several months went by and then I received a letter from Ms Evans. By now she had married James Potter. The letter stated that she wished to see me. I went. Upon meeting her she informed me of certain news.” Sighing he continued in a low voice. “She informed me that she was pregnant. And that there was a possibility that I was the father. I admit that I didn’t take the news well. I brusquely informed her it was extremely unlikely. And never saw her again.”

Sighing Severus rubbed his eyes as though he were in pain.” Here comes the hard part, he thought. “About a year later, on the night Lily and James Potter died, I received another letter from Mrs. Potter. This one informing me that…Alexia Lily Potter…was indeed,” he swallowed hard, “my child. My daughter.” Severus finally looked his parents dead in the eye. “That girl upstairs is your granddaughter.”

For a long moment the room was completely silent.

Eileen spoke softly. “Alexia Potter, the Girl Who Lived, is my granddaughter?”

“Yes.”

You’ve known for how long?” Tobias’s eyes narrowed.

“6 years.”

Tobias stood and approached his son.

Crack!

The sound of Tobias slapping Severus echoed through the house. “You knew you had fathered a child and you didn’t claim it?!”

Ashamed, but determined to except the consequences of his actions Severus said calmly. “Yes.”

Crack! Tobias struck him again.

“Tobias!” Eileen rose from her chair.

Sit Down Eileen!” Tobias never looked away from his son. “I raised you to have honor, pride, and humility. But I also raised you to know right from wrong! That child upstairs is now paying for your mistakes and choices! What have you to say for yourself?”

“Nothing, father. I have no excuse.”

Tobias glared. “At least I taught you something.”

“Toby.” Eileen’s voice was weak with emotion.

Tobias shot his wife a glance then continued with his son. “Why, Severus? Why did you abandon that child?”

Severus bowed his head. “I was bitter, cold, and angry. I didn’t want a child. And I certainly wasn’t in any state to raise one. I thought she’d be better off with her aunt and uncle.”

“And look where that thinking got her.” Tobias muttered. Sighing he turned to his wife. “Go check on the lassie. Severus and I have some more things to discuss.”

Eileen rose and eyed the two men before her. Without another word she exited the kitchen and didn’t look back.

“I should tell you to never darken my doorstep again.”

“I know father.” Severus stood before his father. To an outsider he appeared cold and indifferent. But Tobias Snape saw right through that and knew his son was panicked, ashamed, and very, very much anxious for his father’s verdict.

“What do you plan to do?”

“I am unsure father.”

“Well you had better get sure.” Tobias growled. “Because there is no way that child is going back to that…that hell hole!”

Severus flinched. “Do you truly believe me to be heartless, father?”

Tobias eyed his son. “No. But I also never thought you’d abandon a child.” Tobias sighed and sat down in front of his youngest and most foolish son. “You may not see it, but children are blessings and gifts. That little girl is a blessing that you have been given. Despite you past and everything else. I may be a muggle, but I know the story of Alexia Potter the Girl Who Lived. Somehow, Severus, that girl survived the impossible. Someone’s trying to tell you something. And if I were you I’d listen.” With one final glance at his son Tobias rose form his seat and headed toward the staircase. “You may sleep in your brother’s room. Nevertheless, I want you to think long and hard about what you are going to do. And think about what’s best for the child and not you.” Tobias then left Severus to his thoughts.

Severus sat back down and placed his face into his hands. What am I going to do? Severus thought.

**********

Tobias looked in on his wife and saw her sitting beside their granddaughter

“She’s so fragile, Toby.” Eileen said without looking up.

Tobias sighed and quietly entered the bedroom. “But she’ll be alright?”

“Physically yes. But emotionally…I haven’t a clue.” Eileen looked up as tears began to fill her eyes. “How can anyone hurt a child? Especially your own flesh blood.”

“I don’t know Eileen. But she’s here now, and we can help her.” Tobias gently clasped the witches shoulder in silent support.

“So, did you kill him?”

“No. Not yet anyway.” Tobias shook his head. “Where did I go wrong with our sons?”

“It’s not just you Toby. I raised them too.” Eileen kissed her husbands knuckles. “But Sev came back to us, Toby. Please don’t tell me you plan to cast him out.”

Tobias shook his head. “No, sweet. I won’t abandon him. Between you, me and his brothers and sisters I’d say Sev will be fine. With time.”

Eileen smiled and kissed her husband again. They both wondered what their son would do next.

Chapter End Notes:
Please R&R.