Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus and Harry reconcile their differences and Remus learns something about his ancestry that he never knew.
Silverstrike's Legacy

Harry sat up as the bedroom door opened, fighting the urge to jump up and hide under the bed.  He knew better than to run away from a punishment, and he was not a crybaby coward either.  So he waited, dread making him feel slightly sick, for his father to appear.  Only instead of a stern Potions Master, a gigantic silver wolf walked into the room.

"Silver?" Harry rubbed his eyes.  "I'm dreaming, right? How'd you get in here? You'd better leave, before my dad finds out."

"In a minute.  We need to have a little talk first, Harry."

Harry nearly fell off the bed.  "You can TALK!"

"Of course.  It's Christmas Eve," Silver answered solemnly, but with a glint of merriment in his eyes. 

"Then that story is true? Not . . .not make-believe?"

"You can hear me, right?"

"Yeah.  Wow! That's so wicked!" Harry gasped, smiling.  "I wish you could stay and talk with me, but you gotta get out of here, Silver.  My dad's really mad at me, and if he comes in here and finds you . . .he'll hex you good."

Silver seemed unconcerned, walking over to the bed and sitting down, his tail wrapped neatly about his paws, putting his head upon the bed and gazing into Harry's eyes.  "Your father is the reason I'm here, Harry."

"I'm sorry he hurt you before.  He thought you were  gonna hurt me, I guess.  He doesn't understand about how you and I are friends."

"And that makes you sad and angry, right?"

"yeah, how do you know that?"

"I can smell those emotions on you.  As well as guilt and shame.  Why do you feel this way, Harry?"

The child squirmed, avoiding the big wolf's gaze.  "Dad and I . . .we had a big fight over you.  He said I couldn't see you anymore and . . .I got mad and said he was a stupid idiot and I . . .hated him."

"Ah.  I see."

"But I didn't mean to! I just . . .I don't know . . .it came out before I could stop it, he made me so mad and upset. . . .I was telling the truth and he didn't believe me and then . . ." The little boy hung his head. "This is like the worst Christmas ever.  I'm not gonna get any presents from Father Christmas ‘cause I said that to my dad and my dad's probably gonna blister my bum . . .he hates kids that talk back to him and I told him I hated him." Tears began to trickle from his green eyes once again.  "He'll probably never forgive me and he wishes my mum never gave me to him to be his special son . . . "

Silver nuzzled the child's hand comfortingly.  "Oh, I think your father will forgive you, Harry.  Although he is quite upset with you at the moment, he still loves you, even when you're very naughty."

"He does? How do you know?"

"Because I have spoken to your father, Harry Snape, and have seen that he . . ." here the wolf paused, thinking, I can't believe I'm saying this about Snape, of all people, but it's the truth. " . . .is a decent man and a good father.  And if you're truly sorry for speaking to him like that, then he will forgive you, Little Mischief."

"I am.  He always says think before you open your mouth, only I forgot and I'm real sorry, Silver.  It's all my fault Christmas is ruined."  Harry sniffled sharply, and a lone tear splashed onto the coverlet.

Silver winced, for Harry's misery was overwhelming, he could smell and feel it, and he gently licked the boy's face in an attempt to provide comfort.  Harry buried his face in the silver fur and wept.  Remus whined, a wordless crooning sound, trying to get the boy to stop crying.  Harry clung to the big animal, his small shoulders heaving.  Remus whimpered, acutely uncomfortable, he had no experience dealing with sobbing kids.  Snape, where are you? I don't know what the heck to say to him when he's bawling his eyes out all over my fur.  Not to mention getting snot on it too, ugh!

"There now, child.  It's not the end of the world.  You haven't ruined Christmas."

"Have too," Harry mumbled into Silver's shoulder.  "I've been so bad that Father Christmas pro'bly put me on the Naughty List an' now I'm gettin' nuthin' for Christmas."

Silver fought to keep from smiling at Harry's definitive tone.  "Are you sure, little one? This can be fixed."

"How?"

"By apologizing to your father and promising to behave from now on."

Harry sat up, wiping his face with his sleeve.  "But Silver, how can I do that if Dad won't talk to me? I haven't seen him all night since I came in here. "

There's your cue, Severus.  Remus thought, hoping the other man really had been listening to their conversation.

To the wolf's relief, Severus did not miss his opportunity.  He tapped on the door and called, "Harry, enough of this sulky attitude, young man.  I'm coming in and we're going to have a long talk about your smart mouth."

Harry sat up straight, then hissed, "Quick, Silver, hide under the bed!"

"Why?" the wolf queried, his eyes twinkling.

"'Cause Dad thinks you're a bad wolf that wants to eat me and he said if he caught you around here, he'd hex you to the moon." Harry threw himself face down on the bed, and reached over to yank aside the bedhangings.  "There! Hurry!"

Silver didn't move.  "Harry, weren't you paying attention? Your father and I have come to an understanding of sorts.  He won't hex me."

The door opened and Severus strode in, playing his role of stern parent to the hilt.  He fixed his wayward son with a sharp frown.  "Well, Mr. Snape? I believe you owe me an apology."

Harry gulped, then started to sit up, though not fast enough to avoid Severus's hand, which delivered a sharp swat to his vulnerable backside. "Oww! I'm sorry, Dad! I really am!" He burst into tears, wailing loudly, "I didn't mean it! I'm so-o-o-rry!"

"You ought to be." Severus lectured over the boy's repentant howls.  "You should be ashamed, talking that way to me, Harry James Snape, after everything I've done for you."

Severus moved over to sit next to the youngster, who was sobbing as if he'd been beaten half to death.  All this fuss over one smack? Oh, Harry, you are so overdramatic! He reached out and drew his son onto his lap.

Harry froze, sure he was going to end up over Snape's knee.  But all the older man did was hold him.  "Enough, anyone would think I'd whipped you raw, you little dramatist.  Stop crying and look at me."

Harry obeyed, taking the handkerchief he was given and wiping his face.  He was puzzled as to why his father hadn't spanked him, but he didn't want to ask for fear of reminding his father that he hadn't been punished yet.  "What are you sorry for?" was Sev's next question.

"For saying I hated you and . . .and calling you a stupid idiot  . . .and disobeying you and playing with Silver when I wasn't s'posed to . . ." Harry recited the list of his transgressions, ending with, " . . .and I'm really sorry I ruined your Christmas."

"You've been very naughty, son, and acting like a rotten little brat, and I am very disappointed in you," lectured the Potions Master.  "Just because you were angry with me for not allowing you to see Silver doesn't mean you have the right to back talk me the way you did.  It was rude and disrespectful and that is something I will never tolerate.  Am I understood?" He tilted his son's chin up, making Harry look into his eyes.

"Yes, sir."

"Nose to the wall, mister." Severus set Harry down and pointed to a corner of the bedroom.  "Ten minutes.  And after that we'll discuss the rest of your punishment, which will be delivered after Christmas."

"After Christmas?" Harry repeated, marching to the corner. 

"Yes.  Because I'm not going to let your awful behavior ruin my holiday." Severus snapped his fingers and an hourglass floated into view.  He turned it over and the sand began to trickle into the bottom.

Harry remained still, not even twitching the way he usually did.  He was quite clearly ashamed of his behavior and doing his best to accept the consequences without whining, a fact that both pleased and astonished Severus.  Normally, punishments elicited whining and grumbling, and at least one "It's no fair, Dad!" from the seven-year-old.  Not this time.

The ten minutes seemed to creep by for an eternity, but Harry forced himself to remain still as a stone, even though it was terribly hard to stand there looking at the wall and counting the lines in the wood paneling. 

But at last the eternity was over and Severus called, "Harry, come here."

Harry turned around and walked back, dragging his feet slightly.  Now his father was going to wallop him good.

But Severus did not turn him over his knee.  Instead he frowned severely and said, "Your punishment is as follows, Mr. Snape: first, I'm going to wash that disrespectful tone out of your mouth with a bar of soap, and then you're grounded until New Year's, plus a week afterwards, since you were already grounded for the skating incident.  That will begin right after Christmas."

"Yes, sir.  I didn't mean to say I hated you, Dad."

"Promise me you'll never speak like that to me again."

"I promise." Harry whispered, his lower lip trembling pathetically.

"Come here, you impudent incorrigible child." Severus held out his arms.

His son threw himself into them and hung on for dear life.  "M'sorry! I love you, Dad.  Are you still mad at me?"

"No.  I forgive you, and once you've served your punishment, it'll be done and over with, and we won't ever need to have this discussion again.  Unless you break your promise, young wizard." Here Severus leveled a Snape glare that made Harry tremble.  "And if that happens, you will be the sorriest little boy in Britain.  I'll ship you off to live with your Muggle aunt and uncle if you don't learn to behave."

"It won't.  I'll be good. Promise on my honor." He never wanted to go and live with Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon again, they were worse than Werewolf Hunters.

Severus hugged him back so hard Harry squeaked.  "Love you too, brat."

Harry felt a warm glow spread through him.  He hopped up on his father's knee then and said, "But I love Silver too, Dad.  And see, I was right, he is a good wolf and he really did save me."

"I know.  He explained everything to me while you were locked in the bedroom."

"Then shouldn't you say you're sorry to him for saying he was bad and stuff?" Harry inquired innocently.

Severus went still and did not answer.

Silver, who had been watching the interaction between father and son with interest, wanted to roll over and laugh at Snape's expression of sour chagrin.  Ha! He's got you there, old snake! You do owe me an apology.  Question is, will you swallow that pride and admit you were wrong?

There was a long moment of silence. 

At last Severus said, "You're right.  I was mistaken." He turned to look at the silver wolf sprawled on the rug, who was staring at him with knowing amber eyes.  "I misjudged you, Lupin. I . . .saw what I wanted to see, a dangerous predator, not what you truly were, my son's protector.  I forgot my own legends and reacted hastily . . .like an ignorant fool. You saved Harry and I am grateful.  I . . .apologize for any misunderstanding." There was no reluctance in Snape's voice, and Remus could smell the sincerity upon him.

"No, Severus.  You acted like a frantic parent . . .one who loves his child more than anything.   I think that is the first time anyone has ever apologized for misjudging me ever, and I thank you for that.  No one has ever cared about a werewolf's feelings before."

"You're a werewolf, Silver?" Harry exclaimed, his eyes wide.

"I was once, Harry," answered the wolf.  "And my real name is Remus Lupin.  I used to be a wizard and went to school with your father."

"Cool! But how come you're a wolf now?"

"That's a long story, Harry." Remus began.

"So what? I like long stories."

The wolf parted his jaws in a lupine grin.  "Very well.  I was bitten by a werewolf when I was a little boy, around five, and I lived with the curse for years, forced to transform into a . . .ravening beast every month during the full moon. . . ." Remus did not go into great detail, just enough so Harry would understand what an awful burden the werewolf curse was and how people reacted to the young wizard, shunning and fearing him.  Harry listened, still and silent upon Severus's lap, as Remus explained how, despairing and lonely, he had walked out into the Forbidden Forest and met the spirit of the wolf Prince Silverstrike, who had agreed to help free him from the werewolf curse by transforming him into a true wolf, though one who still retained his human memories, thoughts, and feelings.  "And that's how I became the silver wolf you see here," finished the former wizard.  "Although I'm still puzzled as to why Silverstrike said he owed me a debt when I had never seen him before then."

Harry was thinking hard.  Then he spoke up.  "Maybe it's because you're one of Will's great-great-great grandsons or something."

Remus wrinkled his nose.  "I don't . . .what do you mean?"

"You know, Will Ashkevron, the Potion Master's son who was Silverstrike's friend.  The legend says Silverstrike watches over Will's family.  Maybe you're related to him."

Remus pricked up his ears.  "Merlin's beard! I never thought of that."

"But it makes sense.  The friendship between the wolf lord and Will was passed down through generations, if the legend is to be taken as historical fact," said Severus.  "Do you have a family tree recorded somewhere, Remus?"

"I . . .yes, I believe so.  My family is a pureblooded one and my father did keep a great book with all the names of my ancestors and their deeds since the time of Merlin and Arthur Pendragon.  If I were able to use magic I could Summon it . . ."

"Dad, you could Summon it!" said Harry excitedly, bouncing on Sev's knee. 

"All right, you pest, now quit jumping all over me, I'm not a rocking horse," he ordered, concealing a wince, for Harry had a bony backside that did not conform well to Severus's knees.

"Hurry, Dad! I wanna know if I'm right!" He half-stood on his toes, then dropped back down to land heavily on the wizard's already aching legs.

"Be still! Now!"

"Sorry." Harry froze.

Severus drew his wand and chanted, "Accio the genealogy records of Remus Lupin!"

A large musty leather-bound tome appeared with a pop in the room next to Severus. 

The Potions Master carefully picked it up, handling it gently, for the parchment pages crackled and were brown with age.  "Is this it, Remus?"

The wolf came over and peered at the book.  "Yes, I think so.  It's kind of hard for me to read, without hands and a wolf's eyes weren't meant for reading print.  If you wouldn't mind, Severus, could you look at the appropriate entry? It ought to be near the beginning, since the Wolf in Winter tale takes place somewhere around the time of Merlin. I'd reckon."

Severus paged through the tome reverently, with Harry peering at the odd writing, which was embellished with plenty of flourishes and some of the spelling was archaic.  "They spelled wolf wrong, Dad.  It hasn't got an e on the end."

"That's an old form of the word, son. Now hush, I need to concentrate.  Why don't you go and sit by your friend Silver while I read?"

"Okay." Harry obliged, slipping off Severus's knee and going over to sit on the floor, leaning against the big wolf's side, one arm thrown casually across the furry gray back.  "Uh, d'you mind if I call you Silver, sir?"

Remus gave an amused yip.  "No, Harry.  It is rather fitting, and during school, some of my friends used to call me Moony.  But I think I like Silver better."

"So do I.  Not all wolves howl at the moon," Harry said.

"Quiet, you two! I can barely read some of this, the writing is so cramped and faded and the language is difficult to interpret," Severus ordered irritably, squinting hard at a page.  The other two mumbled apologies and fell silent, allowing the scholar wizard to decipher the tome in peace.

After an interminable, to Harry at least, twenty-five minutes, Severus straightened and said, "My son was right, Lupin.  You are a direct descendant of Will Ashkevron, who was named Wolf Friend to Silverstrike, prince of the Wolf Wood.  Will himself writes here that "at the end of his very long life-over a hundred years old-Silverstrike could not relinquish his guardianship over myself and my family, and so he used the last of his magic to bind himself in spirit form to Wolf Wood, and also to my descendents.  He pledged that whenever their need was greatest, he would come, and give what aid he could, for as long as he could.  And though it saddens me beyond measure to never see my beloved friend again, it is a great comfort that he shall be watching over me and mine, for we tend to get into more than our share of trouble.  Silverstrike's wise counsel should prove to be a Godsend, literally.  . ."

"Well, I'll be a crumple horned snorkack!" Remus barked. 

"A what?" Severus repeated, throwing the wolf a blank look.

"Never mind.  It's an expression a Ravenclaw in our year, Lovegood, used to say." He nuzzled Harry affectionately.  "You are too smart, Little Mischief."

Harry grinned proudly.  "I remember everything I read, Silver.  Just like Dad."

Severus raised an eyebrow at Remus's pet name for Harry, but refrained from making a comment, since the wolf's choice fit Harry to a T. 

"And now you know why Silverstrike helped you," said the Potions Master.  "As a direct descendent, he was duty bound to do so."

Remus sat up straighter, clearly proud of his newfound ancestry.  "Or maybe he just liked me."

Severus rolled his eyes.  "Don't flatter yourself, Lupin." He waved his wand and the book was transported to an empty space upon his library shelf.  "I'm assuming you wish me to look after that for you?"

"If you wouldn't mind.  Thank you."

Severus waved off the other's thanks.  He glanced at his watch.  "Harry, it's time for you to be in bed.  Otherwise Father Christmas won't visit here."

But Harry made no move to get to his feet and return to his room.  "He won't come anyway, Dad."

"Why do you say that?"

"'Cause I was too bad.  He prob'ly crossed my name off the Nice Kids list already after what I did."

"You don't know that, Harry." Severus said gently.  "I think it would take more than being a disrespectful little boy to make Father Christmas cross off your name.  Besides which, you apologized and will be punished for it, and Father Christmas knows that and will forgive you, I think.  Wouldn't you agree, Silver?"

The big wolf nodded. "Yes.  St. Nicholas knows a repentant child when he sees one.  Go on to bed, Harry.  Come morning, you'll see that Father Christmas has forgiven you for your naughtiness."

"Okay, Silver!" Then Harry looked at Severus and said, "Hey, Dad, can Silver stay for Christmas?  And . . . maybe even longer, like forever?"

Severus hesitated.  "That would be up to him, son.  But he's not a pet, Harry."

"I know, Dad! I'm not dumb!"

"Watch your tone, little boy," warned his father.

"Yes, sir.  Will you stay, Silver? Please?" Harry begged.

"I . . .well . . .I suppose I can stay for the holiday . . .but I don't know about after . . ." the wolf said awkwardly.  "I wouldn't want to impose upon you or your dad . . .though I wouldn't mind being your  guardian."

Harry turned his pleading gaze upon Severus.  "Please, Dad? Please?  He's my friend . . .he saved my life . . .please?"

Severus thought for a long moment.  It was true that Harry seemed to behave a little better when the wolf was around, and at least Remus kept him out of trouble for the most part if he were around. You wanted to find a friend for him, Severus.  And now you have, though a transformed wizard was not quite what you had in mind.  But then again, when has Harry ever done anything like other children? Almost never. 

"Where would you live, Remus?"

"In the forest, of course, though I will never be far from you when you need me, Harry.  Severus? Would that be acceptable to you?  I promise to never enter your home without an invitation or  countermand any of your orders concerning your son, even if I don't agree with them. You're his father, not me. I further swear that I shall keep Harry safe from anyone who tries to hurt him, including You-Know-Who himself."

Now Severus was faced with two sets of begging eyes.

The Potions Master groaned.  He did owe Remus a debt for saving Harry and the longer he thought about it, the more an extra set of eyes and ears appealed to him.  Harry was like a whirlwind and there were days Severus often wished he could duplicate himself just so he could keep up.  With Remus there, however, he wouldn't need to worry so much.

Are you bloody crazy? You're actually considering inviting a werewolf into your home?  shrieked one part of his mind. 

Former werewolf and it'd be useful sometimes to have someone watching Harry that I can trust, someone dependable, so I don't have to worry about where he is or what he's doing.  And at least Remus won't let Harry wrap him around his little finger. I think. Plus, Harry really does love him, and I guess I can tolerate the wolf for Harry's sake . . .

Severus cleared his throat.  "All right, Harry.  Silver can stay."

Harry let out a yell that could probably be heard in China.  "YES! Thanks, Dad!  You're the best!"

He ran up to both his father and his lupine friend and kissed and hugged them.  It was like his very own Christmas miracle.  And what had started out as a terrible awful day had now become one of the best Christmas Eve's ever.  Then he scampered off to bed, for he didn't want to be awake when Father Christmas came down the chimney.  Not even his impending punishment could dampen his spirits.

Severus followed to tuck him in, and Silver stretched out on guard beside the door, and outside the wind sprites danced and twirled inside ever changing snowflakes, laughing and whispering among themselves about the miracle that had occurred, which had nothing to do with animals talking, and everything to do with a certain Potions Master learning the lesson of tolerance and a small wizard learning the value of keeping one's promise and a silver wolf learning how to trust and love again. 

And deep in the woods, a wolf howled, low and long, in triumph, for his wayward son had found at last a place to call his own, and a family to belong to.  Fare you well, Remus, my son.  May you always remember the legend of the wolf in winter, for you have found what you truly seek at last, and your curse is broken forevermore. Go in peace, my son, prince of Wolf Wood.

Then the spirit wolf turned and vanished into the snowy night, and the forest was still under a canopy of stars and a cloak of virgin snow.  Until the sound of bells was heard as another magical being made his entrance upon the roof of a certain cottage to fulfill the rest of little wizard's Christmas list.

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Well, what did you think of the ending?

All's well that ends well, to quote Shakespeare from Twelfth Night, one of my favorite plays.

A very big thank you to everyone who has read and reviewed this little fic. Would you like me to write more in this series?

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and happy holidays to all! My you have a safe and happy holiday and a great New Year!

Homemade Italian cookies and coffee or eggnog to everyone! Cheers! :)