Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The New Bond

Severus lazily read through a page of his book, though he really wasn’t taking the words in. His mind was on someone else, someone who had been dead for almost three years. Every time he thought about her, he felt remorse. He felt angry with Dumbledore as well. Why hadn’t he protected her better? He closed his eyes and pictured Lily the last time he had seen her.

CRACK!

He jumped up from the chair he had been sitting in; he dropped his book to the floor. On his floor was a very small child who was crying. He walked over to him and kneeled in front of him, the child started to gasp for breath as if he were hyperventilating. Severus was shocked, but intrigued at the same time. He picked the little boy up and sat down in his chair, holding him on his lap. Where had he come from? Obviously the child was magical, and had somehow apparated to his place. He expected that the boy hadn’t liked the effects of apparition.

“Hey, calm down,” he said. “Can you tell me who you are?”

He didn’t have to. When Severus looked into his face, he knew who it was. The legendary scar was on his forehead. He knew the face, it was the face of James Potter, though very young and without glasses. The boy looked up into his face and stopped crying, but Severus felt the sadness again, he had Lily’s eyes.

“Where am I?” he asked as he wiped his face.

“At my house. Somehow you appeared here. Can you tell me what you were doing before you appeared here?” Severus asked.

Harry nodded. “I was playin with my cousin Dudley. Then damn teenagers were being noisy. Uncle Vernon got angry and slapped my face. He threw me hard on floor… then I was here!”

Severus had to try and contain his laughter at hearing such a young child swear. When Harry got to the part about the slapped face, he frowned. As he looked over him closely, he saw that the child was covered in a lot of bruises. There was also a faint mark of a hand print on his cheek, and he had a fat lip.

“Did you get hit often at home?” Severus asked.

Harry shook his head. “When I am bad. I wasn’t bad today. Uncle Vernon wanted the damn teenagers to stop. So he slap me. Then he yell at them and said they make me cry. He say they woke me from nap. I didn’t sleep yet. I was going to hear story first. Uncle Vernon say I was going to get a treat and I never had treat for long time. I was happy and then- and then he slap me!”

“He told you that he was going to give you a treat, and then when you went over to him he slapped you? Just to get the da- the teenagers to stop being noisy?” Severus asked, he wasn’t sure if he heard right.

Severus would have believed that James Potter’s son would be spoiled and arrogant. However, the child couldn’t have been more than four-years-old. He knew that children that young were always very honest; the bruises also told a story of an abused boy. He looked into Harry’s eyes.

He brought up the memory Harry had just described.

Harry was putting blocks away but then a loud booming voice called him over. He got up, and made his way through a sitting-room very nervously, almost afraid. Was he going to be punished? The tall fat man stared down at him, but he was smiling, this was rare when it came to Uncle Vernon.

Come here, Harry. You want a treat?” asked the man in a very gentle and kind voice.

Excitement ran through him. A treat! He rarely ever got treats; he ran over to his uncle and grinned up at him. The next moment, he lay on the floor after a painful smack against his cheek. He knew he wasn’t supposed to cry, but he couldn’t help it. He started to cry hard. His uncle took him outside and yelled at the damn teenagers. He realized why his uncle had hit him and knew now he’d get a treat.

Treat?” he asked hopefully.

His body hit the floor hard and he couldn’t breathe! He tried so hard and his aunt and uncle couldn’t help. Everything went black but the voices were still around him, one was trying to revive him, there was no need, the magic was keeping him alive. He’d be fine once the fat man was gone. Then he could see again, he was laying in a comfortable bed, which was rare for him. He closed his eyes again, and fell asleep.

He opened his eyes later; he lay outside it was a pleasantly warm evening. His aunt and uncle were walking away, why had they left him out here? He felt sudden sadness and bitterness he’d never felt before. There was a longing for someone close to him… suddenly everything went black again. It was an uncomfortable kind of black, everything was tight. Suddenly he was on solid ground again. He started to cry, it had been really scary in the blackness, and he thought he’d stop breathing again…

Severus looked away. The boy was staring up at him with a curious look on his face. Severus knew he had seen the memory as well, so he was surprised that he hadn’t started to cry again. He cocked his head to the side as he stared up at him.

“You see my uncle hurt me?” Harry asked which surprised Severus.

“Yes I did. I’m just confused, I guess it was me that brought you here,” he answered though he wasn’t really speaking to Harry.

“You don’t like how I’m hurt? I stay here now?”

“What?” Severus asked, “No, I don’t think so.”

“Oh,” he said and looked down sadly.

There was a loud noise that came from his stomach. Severus asked him when he’d eaten last that day, but Harry shook his head. Confused he asked again, but Harry just shrugged and looked away.

“Not since spanking,” he finally said. “Still hurts a lot.”

“When did your uncle spank you?” Severus asked as Harry’s stomach growled again.

He stood up with Harry in his arms; he carried him into his kitchen and set him into a chair. He had some leftovers that he could feed the boy. While he ate, Severus planned to summon Dumbledore who could probably answer all his questions. Though, if he had a say in the matter, the boy would not be returning to his aunt and uncles. He should have known that Petunia would be that way with a young wizard.

“What are you doing sir?” Harry asked.

“I’m just heating some food up for you. You didn’t answer my question. When did you get spanked? Was it today?”

Harry shook his head. “I got spanked and then… er, I slept and then it was morning and then I came out cause I need bathroom but I went back. I stayed in cupboard all day long until I go to bathroom and have water. It was night then I slept. I played with Dudley outside. Then I slept. Today is Saturday and Uncle Vernon was home, I didn’t eat today.”

“So the last time you ate was Wednesday? What meal did you eat?” Severus asked as he placed a plate of warm small portions of potatoes, broccoli and chicken in front of him.

“Breakfast and lunch. Uncle Vernon came home and spanked me. Still hurts a lot.”

Severus looked into Harry’s mind again to see what kind of spanking it was. He flinched as he watched it, but again, it didn’t seem affect the boy at all. Instead, he was staring at the plate of food in front of him; he appeared to be very confused.

“Do you like that kind of food?” Severus asked.

“Yes… I allowed to eat?” he asked.

“That’s why it’s there. I want you to eat something please. You’ll be okay if I leave you alone?”

Harry nodded. Enthusiastically, he began to eat quickly. Severus left and hurried to the fireplace in the sitting room. He lit a fire, grabbed a handful of floo powder and through it into the fire. When the flames were green, he got onto his hands and knees and stuck his head into the warm but not burning flames.

“Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Headmasters office!” he yelled.

Professor Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, writing something, but he looked up when Severus appeared.

“Ah, Severus and what do I owe this pleasure of a visit?” he asked.

“There’s a problem, you need to come now,” Severus told him.

He briefly explained how Harry had appeared at his house, and was currently eating after being starved for three days. Dumbledore went to say something, but Severus felt something grabbing at his shoulders. He swore and pulled his head out of the fireplace. He sat on the floor of his sitting-room, rather dizzy. He looked up to see a pair of green eyes staring into his face.

“What you doing?” Harry asked. “I wanna try!”

Harry ran at the flames which were no longer green. Severus grabbed him by the waist and pulled him down into his lap. Harry reached up and patted his cheek; he had a look of confusion on his face. He looked into the flames and reached a hand out to touch. Quickly Severus was on his feet.

“No, Harry. You’ll get burnt! There is a special way I do it so I don’t get hurt,” he said.

“How?” Harry asked.

“I have magical powder that I throw in there. The fire turns green and then it’s safe. You see how it’s not green?” Harry nodded. “Well right now it isn’t safe. Oh look!”

The flames turned green, Harry struggled in his arms, wanting to touch the flames now, but Severus held tight. Albus Dumbledore climbed out of the fireplace. Harry’s mouth fell open as he looked at the Headmaster from head to toe.

“Hello Harry,” Albus said.

“How do you know my name?” Harry asked. “He knows too. He ask but I didn’t tell! He knows though. How do you?”

“We knew you when you were a baby,” Albus answered. “Now, Harry I want you to tell me about your life with your aunt and uncle. Don’t be afraid, if they hurt you, you need to tell us.”

Severus sat back down in the chair, he felt very protective of him now. He noticed that Harry was still eying the fire. He would have to put a barrior in front of it. No doubt the boy would try to touch it when he wasn’t looking. Wait, why am I thinking this? The child isn’t staying.

“I got slap across the face cause of damn teenagers,” Harry answered and he touched his cheek. “I thought I had treat.”

Severus explained what Harry meant by that when Dumbledore looked shocked. It could have been because the boy had sworn. He told him everything about the memory he had seen to how Harry seemed to have felt Severus’ grief over Lily Potter’s death and had suddenly appeared.

“This certainly complicates things,” Dumbledore said.

“What do you mean? You can’t send him back there,” Severus said. “There has to be another alternative.”

“There is. You summoned him when you were grieving over his mother. At the same time, Harry was in danger, which means a bond was created between the two of you. When I placed Harry at his aunts house, I sealed the blood bond that would keep him safe from Voldemort… it was the only place he’d be safe. Now there are two places he can be safe,” Dumbledore answered.

“What are you talking about?” Severus demanded.

“I stay here?” Harry asked in a hopeful voice. “Please. No more aunt and uncle! No more spankings! Please no more slaps or no hard to-” and Harry started to imitate breathing.

“Lily’s blood can protect Harry here as well as his aunts because you created a bond between the two of you because you were grieving her at the very moment that Harry was in danger,” Dumbledore said. “That is the only reason why he appeared here at that very moment.”

“That doesn’t make sense. He wasn’t in danger in the yard,” Severus answered.

“Harry, do you mind if I look into your memory? You are going to see what happened at your aunt and uncles, but you will be safe here,” Dumbledore said.

Harry nodded. “He saw my uncle spank me and slap my face.”

Severus explained that it didn’t seem to bother Harry for some reason. Dumbledore muttered something about it being easier when people were really young. If Harry was older, it would be exhausting and likely painful as well. Dumbledore pointed his wand at the boy’s face and his eyes rolled up.

“Ah…” Dumbledore said when he had finished. “They thought they had killed him, so they were going to bury him the backyard. If you hadn’t summoned him when you did, I imagine at this moment he’d be dead. He didn’t have the energy to show his aunt and uncle that he was alive. They were both too upset to notice that he wasn’t dead.”

“I stay here?” Harry repeated. “No more hurting?”

“There is a problem with this. I live at Hogwarts for ten months at a time. Besides, you don’t know if Voldemort will be back,” Severus said.

“There have been parent teachers at Hogwarts before. The house-elves can watch him for you during the day. Although, soon we’ll have to tell him about his parents, I don’t imagine he knows the truth at this young age. They were probably waiting until he was older to tell him. He’ll need to know the truth, otherwise the students may tell him,” Dumbledore said. “As for Voldemort, he can find a way to come back to power two, five, ten years from now… it’s better to keep him somewhere safe. Obviously he isn’t safe with his aunt and uncle.”

“I stay here?” Harry asked again.

“Yes, Harry you can stay here,” Severus answered.

He didn’t want to admit it, but he’d already agreed to it before the Headmaster had explained the bond between them. There was something about the boy that he liked. Perhaps it was his intuitiveness; he seemed rather smart for his age. When he had seen Harry try to stick his head in the flames, he’d been terrified for the boy’s life.

“You’re going to take him in?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry had his leaning against Severus’ chest, his eyes were closed, he was whispering something, but neither could hear what it was. He hugged him closer to him, he couldn’t have Lily, but he could have her son. It didn’t matter that he looked a lot like James, he would teach him to be a polite child. The boy wouldn’t be anything like his father; he was still very young and innocent.

“You two should get settled in then. I am going to the boy’s aunt and uncle to talk to them,” Dumbledore said.

“NO!” Harry shouted and started to cry. “Don’t wanna go back! No more spankings, no more hurting, no more! Please, no more.”

Over and over again, Harry repeated those words. Severus rubbed his back and explained that Harry would never have to see them again. He told him that they would be punished for hurting him all the time. Harry nodded and looked up at Dumbledore.

“No more spankings,” he told him.

“You’ll never be spanked again,” Severus said. “I will never hit you, I promise.”

“No saying I get treat but slap me in the face because of damn teenagers,” Harry told him.

Severus heard Dumbledore chuckle and then there was a loud crack as he disappeared. Harry stared at the place he had been, and then a small smile appeared on his face. Severus decided it was time to talk to the boy about right and wrong. He obviously didn’t realize that he was swearing.

“Harry, damn is a bad word. I don’t want to hear you say it, okay?” Severus said. “Did your uncle say that word a lot?”

“Didn’t know it was swear word some words bad to say. Didn’t know that one was,” Harry said.

“Well it is, but it’s okay. You’re just a little boy. You didn’t know but don’t say it anymore,” Severus said.

“No more saying damn,” Harry nodded.

Severus decided to let that one go. He glanced up at the clock and saw that it was nearly ten at night. He stood up and went to a bookcase that was concealing a staircase. He moved it with a swish of his wand, and then went up the stairs. He wasn’t sure which room would be best for Harry. He glanced in each one and finally decided on the second largest bedroom… his old bedroom.

“This will be your new room,” Severus told Harry as he turned on the light.

“I get to sleep in here?” Harry asked.

“Where else would you sleep?”

“In the cupboard under the stairs,” he said casually.

Severus shook his head; he wanted to see the boy’s aunt and uncle. Perhaps if he got Harry to fall asleep quickly, he could go over for a quick visit. He hadn’t seen Petunia in years. He wanted to know how they could treat an innocent child the way they had. He placed him into the large bed, in the middle in case he fell off, and tucked him in.

“You’ll have to sleep in your clothes tonight, but tomorrow we’ll get you pajamas and some new clothes! Ones that actually fit,” Severus told him.

“Okay,” Harry said. “What’s your name, sir?”

“You can call me Severus, that’s my name.”

Harry nodded. “I like you Severus. Thank you for letting me stay.”

“You’re welcome. I’m sorry you had to be hurt all the time. Harry, I want you to know right now that you didn’t deserve any of it, okay? You are a very well behaved child. Your aunt and uncle were bad, not you!”

“Okay… can you read me a story?” Harry asked.

He didn’t have any children’s books in the house, it would have to be something else to get. In fact, Harry needed toys along with clothes. He sighed, it was a good thing he had a lot of money saved up.

“Let me tell you a story about a little girl named Lily Evans,” Severus said.

He began to tell Harry all about his mother, and a day shortly after they had met. Severus wanted to wait until he was a little older before he revealed the truth about Lily and Petunia. Harry lay staring up at him with a small smile on his face. Soon he drifted off to sleep. Severus stayed where he was, just to be sure. After waiting a few minutes, he got up and shut off the lights, but left the hall light on.

He wasn’t sure about leaving Harry home alone, but he had to see what was going on at the Dursley place. He hurried down the steps and over to the fireplace again. He went down onto his hands and knees before he called out the location. A man with blond hair and a pointed face looked up from where he had been pacing.

“Lucius, I need a favor,” he said.