Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The first meeting between the Malfoys and Holly and Harry occurs, as well a visit to Filch from the Snape children, plus a mother son talk between Narcissa and Draco.

Hope you all enjoy this!
Meetings

Narcissa examined the guest quarters Severus had shown them to with a rather critical eye, but she could find no fault with them.  The furniture was well polished and free of dust and of good quality, such as she had had in her own home.  The rooms were a suite containing a sitting area with a huge fireplace, plush couch done in a soft cream and powder blue stripe with plenty of plump throw pillows, the walls decorated with lively tapestries of a spring revel, an English garden, and children playing with a dog and riding horses.  The mantle sported a fine mahogany clock and a framed needlepoint of all four house crests as well as a pretty crystal unicorn.

There was also a divan upholstered in the same pattern as the couch and fine endtables and  one long one set with a vase of fresh flowers and a lace table runner. There was a thick area rug in cream and  blue over the floor and the room was lit with several hanging spelled globes.  They went on automatically when a person entered a room and would dim on command so someone could sleep if they wished. 

A quick inspection of the two bedrooms and the bath revealed the same tasteful décor.  There was even a small pantry stocked with snack foods, tea, and coffee as well as mugs, plates, and utensils.  Just in case the guests wished to make themselves something to eat before the main meals in the hall, and did not wish to summon a house elf, the witch mused. 

She found she was rather hungry after infiltrating her former home, and she helped herself to a tin of water crackers and some cheese spread that was in a separate cold-spelled portion of the pantry. 

Taking the snack into the sitting room along with a bottle of Selina's Springwater, Narcissa settled down on the couch to relax.  She could hear Draco putting his things away in the room just down the hall and smiled.  At least her son would be safe for a time, and more importantly, away from his father's influence.   Lucius had been a decent father to Draco, most days.  He had been quite pleased that she had borne him a son, someone to carry the Malfoy name.  But he had wanted more children to shore up his legacy and Narcissa had failed, through no fault of her own, in that department.    Perhaps that was what had compelled her husband to seek another woman.  Or perhaps he had just gotten bored, like so many of his class did, and sought out variety.  Narcissa frowned, and resolved not to dwell on whatever reasons Lucius might have had for breaking his marriage vows.

At least now she need not fear Draco being influenced by Lucius's selfish ways any longer, nor tempting her son to walk the path of darkness.  He had already started his son down the dark road by encouraging intolerance towards those Lucius felt were beneath him, such as Muggleborns and blood traitors and Squibs.  He used to make Draco recite the ranks of wizarding society, and of course those three were at the bottom, half-bloods ranked in the middle and the purebloods, like the Blacks and Malfoys were the pinnacle. 

That innate prejudice had been in her own family too, but only Bellatrix had ever really bought into her grandmother Irma's policy that purebloods were royalty.  Cygnus Black had been a quiet man, content to live the life of a wizarding gentlemen and he had never encouraged the rabid prejudice the elder generation had.  Of course, he was terrified of Grandmother Irma, after she disowned his brother, he wouldn't have dared to say boo to her.  And Aunt Walburga was just as bad, always on us to behave like proper ladies of rank and not disgrace the family by making an improper match. Well, Aunt, I made your so-called proper match and put myself in a gilded cage in hell for ten years.  Perhaps I should have followed Dromeda's example and run away with a Muggle too.

She bit her lip, recalling her fun-loving wild older sister, always in one scrape or another, yet unafraid to stand up for what she thought was right.  Nothing had ever scared Andromeda.  Narcissa, the baby of her family, had always adored and admired sassy Dromeda, and wished she were more like her.  But she had been the quiet one, a survival tactic when you lived with the overbearing temperamental Bellatrix, and after Dromeda had left she had been careful to keep her head down and not draw attention to herself. 

Until Lucius started courting me, and I thought he was a fairy tale prince.  Silly lonely girl that I was, if I had known then what I do now . . .perhaps I'd have found the courage to ask someone else out.  Ah, well, what's done is done, and I can only look forward now.

"Mother, I'm finished unpacking," Draco's voice interrupted her reverie, and she blinked and looked at her son. 

"Would you like something to eat? There's food in the small pantry." She waved her hand at the remains of cheese and crackers on the plate before her.

Draco considered.  "Yes, I could eat a bit." He looked uneasily at his mother.  "Am I allowed to use magic here, Mother?"

"You are.  But a practice wand only."

"Right." He pulled out the spare one he had always used at home and chanted a Summoning Charm.  Soon a plate of port wine cheese and crackers floated over to him as did a glass of butterbeer.  "This place isn't half bad," he said sitting next to his mother.  He ate a few crackers before he asked softly, "Do you think Father will look for us.  Me, rather?"

"Yes.  Whether or not he will find us is another story. Severus has assured me that Hogwarts is a sanctuary for us, as it is for everyone who comes here, including your half-sister."

"That's good, I guess." He still had mixed feelings about his sister and his father, everything had happened so quickly, he hadn't really had time to think about it.  Now that he did, however, he realized he felt odd having a younger sibling, much less one who was . . .a Squib.  "I wonder what she's like? My sister.  It must horrible, to not have magic."

"She has magic, Draco," Narcissa corrected.  "Just a small amount of it.  From what Severus told me, your sister has a powerful gift of Sight.  She can see in fire, I think.  But otherwise, she can't cast spells.  Ironic, isn't it? One single gift.  Must have given your father fits."

"Definitely.  You know what a perfectionist he is."

"Not quite as perfect as he seemed," Narcissa remarked tartly.  "I do hope you remember that, son, and try to behave cordially towards your little sister.  I know it may be a bit confusing, but she is your blood, and you should be happy you have a sibling, Draco."

"Even if she's a Squib?"

"Yes.  I loved my sisters, especially your Aunt Andromeda."

"That's the one Father said was disowned and we shouldn't speak about."

"Humph! Now I'm a grown woman, I shall speak of her if I please.  Your aunt was a wonderful person, her only crime, if you can call it that, was to marry for love and an unsuitable man besides.  But though it cost her, I think she is happier now than either of the rest of us, who married as we were bid.  Sometimes, Draco, you have to ignore tradition and follow your heart.  Dromeda always used to tell me that." Narcissa smiled reminiscently.  "Oh, the talks we used to have! I missed her something awful when she left."

"Yeah, and you were stuck with crabby nasty Aunt Bella," her son remarked. He had never cared much for Bellatrix, he had seen her once, when he was three, and she had terrified him.  "She slapped me a good one for playing in dirt like a common Muggle."

Narcissa's eyes flashed.  "I remember.  That's why I forbid her to ever come to the house again.  Bella was my grandmother Irma in miniature, sour and arrogant and filled with anger, never satisfied.  It's not surprising she became a follower of You-Know-Who."

"So you had Aunt Bella the tyrant, Aunt Dromeda the rebel, and you, Mother.  What were you like as a child?"

"I was quiet, mostly.  And usually obedient.  I had to be, or else Bella would tell on me.  Either that or punish me herself.  My sister always thought she was right and her way was the only way."

"Sounds like Father."

Narcissa nodded.  ‘Tis a pity they didn't marry each other. Then they could have been perfect purebloods together.  "I know it can be hard, trying to meet your family's expectations.  And perhaps I'm a poor example of this son, since I followed the path mapped out for me by mine, but I want you to think about what the Malfoy name stands for.  It's a proud name and once it was an honorable one as well, until several members, your father included, decided to follow the dark path.  Pride and prejudice, that describes the Malfoys exactly. And some of the Blacks as well."

"Is that why you're divorcing Father?"

"Partly.  I have no desire to follow him down that road again, as I did during the early years of our marriage." She looked at her son earnestly.  "Draco, our marriage hasn't been . . .good for a number of years.  Only I tried to ignore it until I discovered your father's . . .indiscretion and the product of it.  Then I finally acted, and I don't regret it.  What I do regret is making you unhappy, and taking you away from everything you once knew.  But . . .this was the only way. Lucius will never change, at least not in the way that I wish, and I didn't want you to become what he was."

"I know." Draco covered his mother's hand with his own.  "I'm sorry you were unhappy, Mother.  I don't . . .don't want to be like him either, anymore.  Once I did, but . . .not now. He showed me some curses and I . . .didn't like the way they made me feel when I cast one.  I felt dirty, like something rancid had crawled inside me and infected me.  I don't want to follow the Dark Lord.  But I was afraid to tell Father."

Narcissa put her arm about her son and hugged him.  "Oh, Draco.  You don't ever have to be afraid again.  You're safe here.  And maybe this time, we can have a different life.  At least, I hope so."

"Me too." Draco said honestly, but he was still unsure about his new sibling.  He could not help feeling superior to her and even a little resentful, for his father must have cared somewhat for her before he realized what she was.  And in a way, she was to blame for upsetting his world.  If not for her, his parents would still be together and it would be life as usual.  But then he would still be afraid of Lucius discovering his only son was not a follower of darkness.  Perhaps this way was better.  He ate another cheese-spread cracker, trying to come to terms with his confusion.

 

* * * * * *


After the staff meeting had finished, Severus went down to his lab to finish tending the nasty bite he had gotten from the skeletal wyvern.  Once he had cleaned the gash out properly and spread murtlap essence salve on it and re-bandaged it, he went to see where his children were. 

But upon checking the corral with the unicorns, he found that Harry and Holly were absent, and so was Silver.  "Hagrid, a moment, if you would," he called out to the gamekeeper, who was returning from the forest with some meadowsweet and a brace of rabbits.  "Do you know where my children are? Minerva said they were here, but I don't see any sign of them."

"Hello, Professor! Yeah, they were here, helpin' me brush down the foals, but then Holly said she wanted to see how Argus was doin' and they went over t'the Hospital Wing. You just missed ‘em."

"Oh.  Thank you, Hagrid." Relieved that they weren't roaming about getting into mischief, Severus turned and headed back to the castle.

He lingered just inside the door of the infirmary, watching his two children speak to Filch, who looked dreadfully pale and ill, even though he had potions from Poppy to help his breathing and strained muscles in his shoulders, upper back and arms. Next to the two Snapes was Silver, sitting alertly.

Though Snape made no sound, Silver turned his head slightly and flicked an ear back towards the silent Potions Master.  Amber eyes met dark, and Severus shook his head slightly. He wished to observe the children unnoticed for a moment more. Silver twitched an ear lazily in reply, then turned back around to face Filch.

"Here, Mr. Filch.  These are for you," Holly held out a small bouquet of wildflowers.

"Flowers?" the old steward seemed astonished.  "Fer me? Been years since a pretty girl's given me flowers."

Holly giggled at Filch's speech and looked at Harry.  "Harry, we need a vase to put the flowers in, only I haven't got one."

"Uhh . . .maybe we can ask Madam Pomfrey?"

Severus pointed his wand and silently intoned a Summoning charm.

An instant later a small glass vase half-filled with water soared over to the table.

Holly's eyes grew round.  "Hey, did you do that, Harry?"

"No.  I don't know how.  Neat!"

"How'd it get here, then?"

"Maybe the castle supplied it." Filch offered. "Its magic reacts like that sometimes."

 "Okay." Holly carefully placed the flowers inside the vase.  "There! My mum always said that flowers made her feel better.  We used to pick lots of them and put them all over our flat."

"And this is for you too, Mr. Filch," Harry said, and handed Filch three boxes of chocolate frogs.  "Candy always makes me feel better."

Filch hesitated before taking the sweets, surprised that any child would ever give him a get well present. 

Harry, misunderstanding him, said quickly, "They're not magicked or nothin', they're just chocolate.  I'd never pull pranks on you like the students do, Mr. Filch. Dad would strip the hide off me."

"Aye, he would that.  Thank you, Harry." Filch said gruffly, taking the chocolate frogs and putting them next to the flowers.  One hand caressed the sleeping Mrs. Norris, who was curled up in his lap.  "They'll be a nice treat after all those terrible potions I have to take."

The kids made a face at that in sympathy and the steward chuckled softly.

"I hope you get better soon," Holly said softly.  "Professor Dumbledore caught the bad kid that did that to you."

"He did?"

"Yup and he looked mad enough to kick his arse all the way to China," Harry informed him. 

"Good.  ‘Bout time Albus got riled up about this," Filch said grimly.  "This kind of thing's been goin' on too long."

"Y'mean, they've done things like this to you before?" Holly gasped.

"No, lass.  Not this bad, but they've played stupid pranks on me with dungbombs and hexed sweets and other rotten jokes.  But nobody ever thought to do anything about it, figgered they'd grow out of it, I guess." Filch coughed into a handkerchief for a minute, then wiped his mouth and continued.  "But see, they forget, that prejudice ain't something that you grow out of.  It just gets worse as you get older. You just find different ways t' express it instead of pranks.  Like the Anti-Squib bill."

"Why do they hate us so much?" Holly asked then, her sapphire eyes glinting with puzzled anger.  "What did we ever do to them?"

"Nothing.  ‘Cept not be born like they are," Filch said heavily.  "Lass, I've been bearing the curse of being different for over forty years, and I never figgered out an answer to that question.  I guess they fear the different or are afraid that it could have been them, but for a twist of fate.  Or maybe because it reminds them that wizards and Muggles aren't all that different after all, and that's not something they want to think about.  Whatever the reason is, lass, y'keep your family and friends close.  They'll help you when nobody else will.  That was always my problem, see? I never had family to help me, I was alone, all except for Norrie here.  Albus tried, but he couldn't be everywhere, an' he had more to worry about than me. An' he always had a soft spot for troublemaking kids. Humph! They all need a good walloping. That's the problem with kids these days.  No discipline." He coughed again, then added, "You an' your brother are two of the few kids I've ever known that have manners and respect.  You ought to thank your dad for that. He raised you right." He pointed to Silver.  "Keep that great dog of yours by you, an' if anybody threatens you, let him go for ‘em."

"But Mr. Filch, if Silver bit anyone, he'd be in terrible trouble!" Holly objected.  "They could destroy him for hurting a person."

"Not if he was protecting you," Filch disagreed.  "Y'do as I say, missy.  These be dangerous times and you could get hurt bad by people like whoever did this to me. It's nearly as bad as when You-Know-Who was around.  If this could happen to me . . .Holly, you watch your back. Be smart and don't go anywhere without your dad or your brother or your dog. Alone, you're an easy mark. Understand?"

There was desperation mingled with concern in his tone, and the agitation brought on a vicious spate of coughing.  He coughed so loudly that it brought Poppy from the dispensary .

"Argus? Calm now.  Breathe." She ordered, waving her wand at him. "I warned you not to get overexcited."

Filch gasped, his eyes streaming, but he finally ceased coughing and sat up, wiping his face with a clean handkerchief Poppy handed him.  "I'm fine.  No need to fuss."

Poppy snorted.  "Fine is it? Not by my lights.  You need rest, not gabbing with these two young ones here." She turned to Harry and Holly.  "You mustn't get him excited, children.  It's not good for him."

"I'm not on my deathbed, Poppy," grumbled Filch.  "So don't go puttin' me there ‘afore time, woman."

"We're sorry," Harry apologized. 

"Yes, well, no harm done.  But best you be going, he needs his rest," Poppy said, then looked up and saw Severus standing there.  "Look, here's your father, come to fetch you for supper, I'd wager."

The two children turned and ran to Snape with smiles on their faces. They both hugged him, then Harry blurted, "Dad, you'll never guess what happened while you were gone.  Some mean kid pranked Mr. Filch and hung him upside down in the Great Hall, but we found him and got Professor Dumbledore to let him down and he was so mad, Dad, it was like . . .like the wrath of Merlin!"

"I can imagine," Severus said, a smirk stealing over his face at Harry's description.

"But he caught who did it and I hope they expel him!" Holly said, her eyes flashing. "They hurt Mr. Filch awful bad, Severus."

Severus touched her cheek lightly.  "I know, little one.  And he will be expelled.  I have Professor Dumbledore's word on it."

"They voted in favor of expulsion, Severus?" Poppy asked, a pleased light in her eyes.

"Yes."

"Good.  Past time the young troublemakers around here were called to account for their misdeeds.  Should have done something about them long ago, would have saved me a good deal of patching up on you especially, Severus.  For once Albus made the punishment fit the crime."

She gave a self-satisfied sniff, then turned back to her patient.  "Now, what would you like for supper, Argus?"

"Come, children.  As Madam Pomfrey said, it is time for supper," Severus gently shooed them out the door and Silver rose and followed. 

"Dad, what did Madam Pomfrey mean back there?" Harry queried a moment later.  "About patching you up too? Were you . . .did kids pick on you too when you were in school?"

Blast, I was hoping he wouldn't have caught that, Severus thought.  He really disliked discussing his past schooldays with people, but he knew Harry would just keep asking until he gave him an answer, the boy was as persistent as a tick on a dog. He cleared his throat and said, "Yes, for awhile, I was a victim of bullies like Mr. Filch was." One of the worst being your father, and his best friend Black. Severus thought darkly, but he wasn't up to discussing that with Harry at the moment.  "Until I learned to fight back, that is.  But that's long ago.  Right now, I have some guests that I'd like you to meet."

"Who?" asked Holly.

Severus halted and laid a hand on her shoulder.  "Your half-brother, Draco, and his mother, Narcissa.  I have brought them here and they would like to speak with you. However, I would like to remove the glamour over you for awhile, so they could see your true appearance.  I can recast it afterwards.  Would you be willing to do that, Holly?"

Holly hesitated.  Then, slowly, she nodded. Severus waved a hand over her and her face and hair once more resembled her father's.

"All right.  Follow me."

Then he led them down the corridor to the guest room where the Malfoys were staying.

 

* * * * *

 

When the knock came upon the door of their suite, Narcissa turned to Draco and said, "That will be Severus and his family. Draco, remember, be polite and do not disgrace me."

The blond rolled his eyes.  "Merlin, Mother, I'm not five, remember? I know how to be polite.  It's not like I'm going to hex the girl or anything."

"Nevertheless . . .Come in!" she called, and the door swung open to admit Severus, the children, and Silver.

Narcissa's first thought when she caught sight of Holly huddling next to Severus and slightly behind Harry was that she was a miniature Lucius in female form. Until she took another look and saw that the child's eyes were a brilliant sapphire, a deep blue totally unlike her husband's, and filled with anxiety.  Why, the girl's nervous! About meeting us. Narcissa thought in astonishment.

"Hello, Severus.  I'm glad you could join us for supper," Narcissa said cordially, her schooling in being a perfect hostess coming to the fore. "Please, come in."

"Hello, Narcissa and Draco." Severus said, walking into the guest quarters.  "I would be pleased to accept your invitation.  I fear the Great hall will be in an uproar after today's events.  But more about that later.  Narcissa, may I introduce my children? This is Harry." He gave Harry a slight nudge in the back, to remind of him of his manners.

Harry stepped forward then, and held out his hand.  "How do you do, Mrs. Malfoy?"

Narcissa took his hand and shook it firmly.  "Very well, thank you.  Harry, this is my son, Draco.  I believe you are the same age?"

"Yes, ma'am." Harry said, then eyed the other boy warily.  "Hello, I'm Harry."

Draco took Harry's hand and shook it quickly.  "I'm Draco. Welcome to my . . .uh . . . home." He said awkwardly, because he didn't know just what to call the guest quarters.  Then he looked at Holly, waiting for her to be introduced to him.

"And this is my daughter, Holly," Severus said then, and put a hand on the girl's shoulder in silent encouragement.

Holly took a deep breath and stepped forward and said in a quiet yet firm tone, "Hello, Mrs. Malfoy.  I'm Holly Sinclair, pleased to meet you."  She shook Narcissa's hand automatically, but her eyes were glued to Draco.  Merlin, but he looks like my fa-Lucius.  So very like him, it's positively eerie.  But then . . .so do I.

"Welcome, Holly," said Narcissa, and she gave the girl a smile.  "Draco, say hello to your . . .sister."

Frost blue eyes met sapphire.  For one moment neither one said anything.  But both were thinking similar thoughts.  She looks almost like me.  Merlin, but this is weird. Narcissa cleared her throat sharply, and then Draco stepped forward and held out his hand.  "Hello, Holly.  No mistaking you for anybody but a Malfoy, I guess. Pleased to meet you."

"No, Draco." She took her brother's hand tentatively.  "Pleased to meet you too."

There was a rather awkward silence, which was broken by Harry, who felt suddenly possessive and protective of Holly, saying, "She's a Malfoy by blood, but she's also a Snape." And he gave Draco a warning look.

Draco met his eyes and nodded.  "Nothing wrong with that."

"Why don't we all come in and have a seat in the sitting room.  I'll have the house elves bring up some refreshments before dinner," Narcissa suggested, trying to ease the tension.

"Sounds like a wonderful idea, Narcissa," Severus agreed.  The Malfoys turned to lead the way into the sitting room and Severus leaned over and hissed angrily, "Harry, what happened to behaving?"

"I am, Dad! But I wanted to make sure Draco knew that Holly wasn't just his sister." Harry whispered back.

Severus nearly groaned aloud.  "Harry, for Merlin's sake, please try and control your mouth. Holly can have two brothers, it's not the first time in the history of the world that's happened. Now, remember your manners, I don't want to have this conversation again, clear?"

"Yes, sir," muttered his son.  Then he followed the others into the sitting room.

"That boy is going to drive me to drink on a daily basis!" Severus said out of the corner of his mouth to Silver, who grinned at him.  "I'm so glad you find this funny."

Silver merely looked at him, his amber eyes alight with amusement.

When Severus walked over to the couch, he found the house elves had brought a tray with various finger foods on it, like cheese and crackers, small meat and fruit pasties, pretzels, cucumber sandwiches, and mini fried chicken wings. 

"Dinner should be along shortly.  Would you care for a glass of wine, Severus?"

Severus hesitated, he normally did not indulge in alcohol, but after the day he had . . .one drink wouldn't do him any harm.  "Yes, please."

"White or red?"

"White, chardonnay if you have it."

"Of course." Narcissa rose and went over to a small sideboard and poured them both a glass of chardonnay.

The children were nibbling at the appetizers, and Draco eyed Silver curiously.  "Your dog looks like he's part wolf, Holly.  Does he bite?"

"He is part wolf.  And Malamute.  His name is Silver, and no, he won't ever bite unless someone tries to hurt me or Harry. He's a guard dog."

Silver came over when he heard his name and sat down next to Harry, who stroked his fur.  He sniffed at Draco curiously, and the blond boy stiffened a bit.

"May I pet him?"

"Sure.  He likes his ears scratched." Harry said.

Draco reached out a hand and started to stroke Silver's head, marveling at how thick and soft the gray fur, tipped with black about his ears, was.  He gradually worked his way up and around the big wolf's ears, rubbing them gently. Silver sighed in pleasure.  "Merlin, but he's some animal.  I never had a pet, except for my owl.  Father didn't much care for dogs, said they were stupid smelly creatures."

Silver whuffed in annoyance.

"No offence, Silver!" Draco said hastily, afraid the wolf-dog might bite him.

Harry and Holly snickered.  "He won't hurt you," Holly reassured her half-brother.  "He just doesn't like comments like that."

"Can he understand everything we say?" Draco asked, flushing slightly.

"Uh, we're not sure just how much he can understand, but he's much brighter than your average dog or wolf," Harry said.  "Sometimes, it's like he can read your mind.  He saved my life once. When I was seven, I was skating on a pond in Yorkshire and I fell through the ice and almost drowned, but Silver pulled me out . . ."

While Harry related the events of that long ago winter when he had first encountered Silver, Severus and Narcissa sipped their wine and Narcissa inquired after his wounded arm.

"It's fine.  It should be mended by tonight," Severus told her.  "Have you spoken to your solicitor again?"

"Yes. He's drawing up the papers and should be owling them any day now.  If Lucius cooperates, the divorce should go through within a month.  Of course, that would take a miracle, and I'm sure he's foaming at the mouth wondering where I've taken Draco." She bit her lip nervously and drank some more wine.  "How safe is the school?"

"Very safe, else I would not have taken my children here, Cissa.  Albus has strengthened the wards and he will not be able to enter the castle. Or the grounds nearest it either."

Narcissa sagged in relief.  "That's very good news.  Would you care to share with me the emergency that required Minerva to drag you away without even giving you time to tend to your injury?"

"It involved the expulsion of a student.  A young man by the name of Shelby Cross, formerly of Gryffindor," Severus replied, knowing he could not keep Narcissa from finding out, it would be all over the school by tomorrow, as well as in the Prophet, if it wasn't already. 

Both of the witch's eyebrows went up.  "An expulsion? On what grounds?"

Severus told her.  He knew Narcissa would not feel obligated to defend Cross's misdeed the way some purebloods would, for she was not that prejudiced against Squibs.  "It had to be done.  An example had to be made, or else any Squib at Hogwarts, including Holly, would be fair game. It is time, and past time, for certain old hatreds to die, Narcissa.  Or else we shall be easy prey for You-Know-Who's propaganda again.  As we were when he first came to power.  And the pureblood shall inherit the earth, by virtue that their blood is unstained by Muggles and power belongs to those who are born to it." The Potions Master quoted softly, the words leaving a bitter taste in his mouth.

"But that is a lie.  For every family, even the Malfoys, have some Muggle ancestry," murmured Narcissa. 

"Yes, but it is a lie that is easily overlooked.  As is another lie." Here he lowered his voice even further.  "Hardly any now remember this little fact, but You-Know-Who is not a pureblood.  He is a half-blood, like I am.  Born of a witch mother-Merope Gaunt and a Muggle father, Tom Riddle.  He is a distaff descendent of Salazar Slytherin, but he is not a pureblood."

Narcissa went pale. "You know this for a fact?"

Severus nodded.  "It is down in the school records, should anyone care to look. When I first became a spy, I researched everything I could about my enemy, and that is one thing I discovered. Tom Riddle, the ultimate pureblood dictator, is not even of the class he values so highly.  He lies even to himself, and believes his own lies, which is why he is so dangerous."

Narcissa's mouth turned down in distaste.  "And Lucius wonders why I cannot stomach him being a follower any longer.  I have lived a lie for over half of my adult life, Severus, and now I am done with it. Now I shall, at long last, lead my own life."

"Good for you, Cissa! But be careful.  Lucius will not forgive you for taking Draco away from him."

"Too bad.  Centuries ago, a child belonged to his mother alone, and it was she who raised him as she saw fit.  The man had no say in it."

"You speak of the worship of the Goddess, Gaia."

"Yes.  For thousands of years She held sway, until men destroyed Her with their lies.  Perhaps it is time for me to take back the old ways, Severus, and raise my son in the ancient traditions."

"If you think that is best," Severus shrugged.  He personally had no quarrel with the worshippers of Gaia, though he knew Lucius would be furious.  Lucius believed quite firmly that a woman should be subservient to a man.  "But before you plan too far ahead, Cissa, Lucius must be dealt with.  And the children are no doubt starving, so let us have supper."

Narcissa chuckled.  "Of course, Severus." She clapped her hands to summon a house elf.

* * * * * *

 

Dinner consisted of tender cuts of lamb with a succulent brown gravy or mint jelly, new roasted potatoes, and tender creamed spinach, as well as rosemary bread with butter.  For a sweet there was a delicious strawberry and chocolate trifle along with hazelnut coffee for the adults and creamy hot cocoa for the children.  All of them ate until they were stuffed, and Silver eagerly devoured the leftovers.

Then Severus turned the discussion to the lessons he was teaching Harry and he offered to tutor Draco as well, if Narcissa wished.  "I'm teaching Harry basic charms and potions, nothing too advanced, but things that every well-rounded student ought to know," Severus explained. 

"Yes, I think that would be a wonderful idea.  I didn't want Draco to fall behind in his studies.  Thank you, Severus."

Harry frowned, he wasn't all too sure he liked the idea of sharing his lessons with Draco.  The boy had been polite, but sometimes he thought he caught the other wizard looking at Holly strangely, with a slightly superior air.  Remember where he came from, Harry.  His dad hated Squibs, so maybe he feels the same way.  If he starts anything with Holly . . .He quickly shelved that line of thought.  Don't go borrowing trouble was a favorite maxim of Severus's, and it meant Harry shouldn't worry about something until it happened.

"I have Harry's lessons on Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as part of Saturday, as those are the times I have a free period.  I try and schedule them during the afternoon and early evening if possible, around three or four o'clock.  Right after I finish tutoring Holly."

Draco stared at him.  "You teach her too? But I thought she was . . .er . . .a Squib."

"She is, but I don't teach her magic, but Muggle subjects, like math, history, and natural science and language arts.  Although, she has helped Harry and I prepare potion ingredients before, since that doesn't require any spellcasting."

"I wasn't aware you could teach all those subjects, Severus." Narcissa sounded impressed.

"I was brought up as a Muggle until I was eleven years old. I still recall the curriculum and have gotten several teaching texts for children who are homeschooled.  It really isn't that difficult," Severus said modestly. "I was always good at maths and science, and I enjoy history and literature as well.  Holly is a very good student, she retains everything she reads."

Holly beamed at the unexpected praise, she always felt wonderful when Severus gave her a compliment, it was not something she had ever received much of with Lucius, and after what had occurred that fateful winter's night, she found it difficult to regain her lost self-esteem.  But slowly but surely, with the help of Healer Keegan and her new family, she was beginning to heal, and to return to the happy confident girl she had once been.

Draco whistled.  "Lucky you.  I wish I could do that."

Holly blushed, looking down at her empty dessert cup.  "I've always been able to do that. My mum used to call me her little Remembrall, because I never forgot anything.  She used to recite potion ingredients to me before we went to the apothecary and if she forgot something, I could remember it for her.  But she was smart too, she hardly ever did."

"I remember Valina.  She was very bright, became Head Girl of her year," Narcissa said quietly.  "A brilliant Potions Mistress and  very kind too."

"That's so.  She was my tutor for Advanced Potions," Severus recalled.  "I learned a great deal about solutions and inventing new elixirs and such.  Valina was always good at coming up with new variations of old potions, and they usually worked better than the original ones.  Her loss was a great blow for the Society of Potions Masters."

Holly bit her lip, for speaking about her mother made her miss her terribly, even though she knew Severus and Narcissa didn't mean to make her upset.  She quickly grabbed a napkin and used it to wipe her face, dabbing at her eyes when she thought no one was looking.  She would not disgrace herself by crying in front of her half-brother, then he would surely think her nothing but a blubbering baby.

Silver nudged her gently under the table, and she buried her fingers in his ruff and held on tight.  The great wolf always seemed to know when she was upset and would always come and let her pet him or hug him. She loved stroking his thick fur, it always made her feel better. 

Perhaps sensing the topic of conversation was making Holly unsettled, Harry changed the subject, telling Draco that he had better watch out for Throckmorton.  "He's a nasty git, he doesn't like me or Holly and he probably won't like you either, since your Holly's brother too," Harry predicted.

"Who's he?" Draco asked.

"The Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.  He's a bloody bugger that hates Squibs." Harry replied, forgetting to watch his mouth.

"Harry James Snape!" Severus rebuked an instant later.  "Watch your mouth, young man! You know better than to use such language!"

"Sorry," Harry apologized, wondering if he was going to end up eating soap tonight.  "But he is, Dad.  You know he is."

"Whether or not Professor Throckmorotn is what you said, you don't use such words around ladies or polite company, Mr. Snape." Severus scolded.  "Forgive him, Narcissa.  He's at that age."

"Yes, I know.  Draco had the same problem a few months ago," she said, giving the professor a sympathetic look.

Draco blushed, embarrassed.  "Real nice, Mother!" he murmured.

"Although, Harry is correct, you should beware of Throckmorton, he is a shady character and I do not trust him at all.  So stay clear of him, he has already been given strict orders to leave my children alone, as he has harassed and insulted Holly twice since we arrived here," Severus related. 

"Draco, you heard Professor Snape.  Stay away from the man." Narcissa ordered. The man sounds like another Lucius.

"Yes, Mother."

Severus looked at his watch, it was already eight-thirty.  "Narcissa, it was pleasure having dinner with you and Draco, but it's getting late.  We have a busy morning tomorrow, although we were planning an outing by the lake tomorrow afternoon, if you would care to join us?"

"Yeah. We were going to go skating," Holly said.  "And after have pumpkin pasties and hot cider and cinnamon buns and cocoa.  It's fun."

"D'you know how to skate, Draco?" Harry asked.

"Yes.  Mother taught me.  But you still skate even after that accident, Harry?"

"Sometimes.  I don't like it as much as I used to, but Dad always checks the ice before he lets me skate and Silver watches too." Harry said, but he would never admit that skating sometimes made him get nervous and his stomach turn over. "It's not so bad.  But the treats are the best part."

"I haven't skated for years, but I think I still remember," Narcissa said with a soft laugh.  "Draco? Would you like to go?"

The blond boy considered.  "All right."

"Good.  Meet us by the lake around two o'clock.  By then everything should have settled down from the morning," Snape said.

"Settled down?" Narcissa repeated, puzzled.  "What's going on?"

"They're going to expel Cross, the bloody bounder," Holly spoke up before Severus could answer.  "He's the one who hung Mr. Filch upside down and nearly made him have a heart attack."

"Holly Amanda Sinclair! Not you too!" Severus scolded.  "Must I fetch a bar of soap when we get home? Because it would seem the two of you need one."

Holly froze.  "No, sir.  I'm really sorry! I didn't mean to, it just slipped out!" she cried, biting her lip hard to stop the automatic flow of tears. 

Severus winced, but did not relent.  Swearing was one thing he did not tolerate.  "Since this is a first offence, I will let you off with a lecture, young lady.  But if you repeat it, you shall be eating soap for breakfast, as will Harry. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir.  I'm sorry." She sniffled, looking utterly miserable.

Severus had to fight not to apologize for his harsh tone, her woeful eyes would have melted the heart of a dementor.  "Yes well, watch your mouth and we won't need to have this discussion again," he said gruffly.  "There will be a public ceremony in the hall, the Headmaster wants all the students and staff to witness the snapping of Cross's wand, as an object lesson and a warning.  This is the first expulsion in fifty years, or so the Headmaster has told me, and he wishes to emphasize that crimes against minorities will not be tolerated."

"Do you think he would mind if we came to witness it?" Narcissa asked.

"No.  I think the whole school plus some of Hogsmeade will be there." Severus answered.  "The boy's father is a Ministry official, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to plead clemency for his son.  But Albus will not bend on this."

"He has changed then."

Severus nodded. "As must we all.  Good night, Narcissa, Draco. Come, children.  Say good night, you need to go to sleep, it's been a long day for us all."

After the two Snape children had said goodnight, Severus led them out of the guest quarters and back to their own apartment, Silver padding along inbetween both children, so each could rest a hand on his broad back. 

"Go and get ready for bed," the Potions Master ordered softly once they were back in their own apartments. 

Harry and Holly silently obeyed, getting into their pajamas and brushing their teeth and then bidding each other good night before getting into their bed.  Severus gave them a half-an-hour to read or write in her journal, in Holly's case, before he came to tuck them in and turn off the lights. 

Severus went first to Harry, who had fallen asleep with his glasses and a book of wizard adventure tales over his face again.  Shaking his head in fond exasperation, his father gently removed both book and spectacles and placed them on the nightstand before gently tucking his son's blankets snuggly about him. 

Harry never stirred, he was fast asleep, his mind wandering the realm of dreams.

Severus brushed his hand lightly over his son's head, gently rubbing the famous scar.  "Sleep well, Little Mischief." He gave his sleeping son a gentle kiss on the scar before departing to Holly's room.

He found his daughter still awake, scribbling in her pink journal.  "Holly, time for bed," he said quietly.

The girl started, she had not heard him come in.  She immediately set the journal aside and scrambled under the covers.  "Severus, are you still mad at me?" she inquired softly.  "I promise to never swear again.  But that Cross, he made me so mad, what he did to Mr. Filch, I mean . . ."

"I understand, little one," Severus said, sitting on the edge of her bed.  "It's all right if you're angry at what he did, but you shouldn't use those words to express your feelings.  I don't want my daughter, or my son either, to sound like a Knockturn Alley thug."

Holly looked down at her coverlet.  "You're disappointed in me, aren't you?"

"Only for tonight.  Not forever," he reassured, gently brushing away the tears in her eyes with one callused thumb.  "Holly, every child makes mistakes, but I will always forgive you for them.  I am not Lucius. I'm not angry with you any more. Now, close your eyes, little one, and sleep.  Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."

He began to gently card his hand through her hair, and hum a soft lullaby.  Soon Holly found her eyes shutting and her last thought before she succumbed to sleep's gentle embrace was that tomorrow she would make sure she made Severus proud of her.

Chapter End Notes:
What did you think of all those conversations? And the ending scene?

Next: the expulsion of Cross and the outing at the lake, where something unexpected happens.