Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Susan convinces the kids, Severus, and Narcissa to have group therapy in the aftermath of the Wild Hunt.
Group Therapy
 

"How many more cauldrons do we have left?" Harry asked from inside the largest one, scrubbing away with the scrub brush, his hands ached even with the dragon hide gloves upon them.

"Just three," Holly replied, looking up from her own, and managing to sound cheerful about it.

"Just three?" Harry groaned.  "Merlin, I hope none of the rest of them are as bad as this one.  Whatever somebody was trying to brew in here is stuck on like cement."

"Hey, you wanted to do the biggest one instead of three normal ones," Draco reminded him, industriously scrubbing and rinsing out his fourth cauldron.  "Besides, it could be worse, Snape."

"How?"

"We could be beaten and scrubbing cauldrons on top of it," Draco answered.

Harry pulled his head out of the huge cauldron and just stared at the other boy. "Draco, how many times do I have to tell you, my father doesn't beat children? Not even over deliberately disobeying him and almost getting ourselves killed." He groaned and stretched.  "Right now I would rather he walloped me, my back and my hands are killing me!"

The other two nodded in sympathy, for they were stiff and sore as well from scrubbing out fifteen cauldrons, which Severus and Narcissa had declared was their punishment for their disobedience.  They were also grounded for three days.

"Better this than my father's cane though," Draco added, shuddering.  "If the Hunt hadn't taken him, that's probably what I'd be getting right now."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Because I went with Mother instead of refusing her when she came to the manor, and because I talked back to him and told him he shouldn't kill Holly just before he summoned the Hunt.  Makes me a Squib-lover in his book, and that's plenty of reason to whip me, at least by his lights. Or it used to be," he amended.

"Horrible evil old bugger!" Holly declared fiercely.  "He got what he deserved."

"Yes," the two boys agreed, for with Lucius' demise, Draco was now heir to the Malfoy fortune and the manor, it would be held in trust by Narcissa until he was of age, and neither of them ever needed to fear Lucius's wrath ever again.

Holly was now able to be adopted legally by Severus, since Lucius was not there to contest paternity rights, and Severus had filled out the forms and filed them with the Ministry two days ago.  Now they were only waiting for the official documents to come and be witnessed before Holly was made a Snape in truth.

"Less chattering and more scrubbing, you three!" called Snape from his office, where he was grading homework.  "Or shall I add another five cauldrons?"

"No, sir!" They called back, and immediately returned to their disgusting chore.

Back in his office, Severus smirked slyly.  A good two hours of scrubbing cauldrons would make them think twice about endangering their lives and making their parents mad with worry, as well as easing the guilt they felt at disappointing said parents.

That, in addition to the fierce scolding he had also administered to all three of them would create a far more lasting impression than any beating. He had stressed, especially to Holly, that any time she Saw a vision, no matter what it was, she should come directly to him and tell him of it, not try and interpret it or handle it on her own.  "Sometimes, child, there can be more than one way of looking at a vision, and simply because you predicted true a dozen times, doesn't mean all your Seeings will come true.  Sometimes the smallest event can skew a prophecy, like when Silver came to rescue you and Harry. That was the catalyst, I believe, for a different path that your Sight did not show you, as well as your blood relation to Herne.  In any case, you should not be interpreting visions without an older wizard or witch beside you for years yet, understand?"

"Yes, sir.  I'm sorry."

"Good, and well you should be, young lady, for you scared the life out of me, going off to seek your own death! Never ever do that again!" Then he turned to his son, letting her cry a little into a handkerchief, and scolded him as well for being impulsive and risking his neck too.

"You know better than to just run off like that, Harry James Snape, I know you do, since we've had this same discussion many times before.  Yes, I know you were only trying to find and protect Holly, young man, but when you found she was missing, what should you have done?"

"Gotten a teacher or you."

"Exactly.  You should have gone to an adult, any of us would have been able to help you search and perhaps all of this could have been avoided had you remembered to do that.  Instead, you got yourself lost and in danger as well.  If you had died, how would that have made me feel?"

"Horrible," Harry answered, studying the floor.

"Yes.  Very horrible.  Next time think before you act, Mr. Snape!"

"Yes, sir.  I'm sorry too, Dad." He sniffled, trying to also stem the tears in his eyes.

Severus had handed him another handkerchief, then looked at Draco.

"As for you, Mr. Malfoy, I can't fault you all that much, since you were dragged into the forest by Cross, but I know you were probably going to follow these two in there to start with, so I'll give you the same lecture I just gave Harry," he said sternly, then proceeded to do so.

Afterwards, he hugged all three children, told them they were forgiven for driving him insane, and then said they were going to scrub fifteen cauldrons for him and also be grounded for three days as punishment for their disobedience.

"Yes, Draco, your mother has agreed to this," he said before the blond apprentice could open his mouth to protest.  "Now, off to bed with all of you, you have a long day tomorrow."

And once the three days of their grounding was served, they would be forgiven and there would be an end to it.

 

* * * * * *

Severus was right in one respect, yet wrong in another.  After the three days of their grounding was served, the children did indeed put their guilt over misbehaving behind them, but the fear and terror they had endured at the hands of Lucius and Throckmorton was far more lasting and damaging than any of them could have foreseen. 

With Throckmorton's death, the dreadful notes had ceased, and both Holly and Harry could discuss what the notes had said and how they had been compelled not to speak of them and also how the notes had made them feel, which was utterly awful.  Severus had been horrified to discover that his children had been under compulsion for so long and he hadn't suspected anything.  Some master spy I am! My children are suffering compulsion spells and I just ignore all the signs and chalk it up to . . .to typical pre-adolescent behavior.  Brilliant, Snape! I'm the world's biggest idiot, I buried my head in the sand like a bloody ostrich. A small part of his mind whispered that he shouldn't blame himself so harshly, but he had never tolerated failure well, especially not in himself, and so he allowed himself to wallow in guilt and shame and convinced himself that he was an unfit parent.

And if that were not enough, all three children began having nightmares of Lucius and Throckmorton returning from the dead to steal them away, and after five nights straight of being woken up by shrieking hysterically crying children, Severus Flooed Susan and arranged for therapy sessions for Harry, Holly, and Draco.

The Mind Healer was quick to agree, once he had told her specifics, even though she was in the final trimester of pregnancy, almost eight months now.  "I think this will work best as a group therapy session, rather than individual ones, Sev," she told him upon arriving in his living room.

"I agree, since they all seem to be suffering from the same trauma."

"So, I can schedule sessions with them one to two days a week, preferably in the afternoon," Susan said, then she eyed him thoughtfully.  "You know, Sev, with the amount of guilt I'm picking up from you, I'd say you needed a few sessions yourself.  Private ones, of course, since I know you'll clam up in front of anyone else."

"Sue, I'm fine."

"Of course you are, Sev.  So fine you're whipping yourself mentally everyday for not being there for your kids.  You think you're a terrible parent because you didn't recognize the warning signs of compulsory behavior with Harry and Holly. That's perfectly fine, right?" she drawled.

"I . . .I'm not . . .all right, maybe I am, a little . . ." he admitted, flushing.  "But I can handle it."

"You'll handle it better if you would let me help, Sev," she said quietly.  "Give me one session, morning, afternoon, evening, pick a day and a time.  We'll talk over some tea and crumpets."

"Susan, you're already treating my children, I can't ask you to listen to me whine as well. Especially not when you're-"

"Don't go there, Severus!" she snapped.  "Just because I'm pregnant does not mean I'm some helpless little doll who's going to shatter into pieces if I have an extra therapy session.  And you need one, Mr. Snape, don't even bother to deny it.  Scourging yourself mentally over what happened isn't going to help anyone, least of all yourself." Then her tone gentled.  "Severus, please.  If not for your own sanity, do it for mine.  Because if you don't I'm going to stress myself out worrying about you and end up going into early labor and you don't want that, now do you?"

"What? You wouldn't really. . ." He stared at her.  "Merlin help me, you would . . . ah, all right Keegan . . .I'll do it.  But only one session, mind . . .it's not like I need months like the last time. . ."

Susan hid a grin.  "What time?"

"Better make it Tuesday morning, I don't have class to teach till the afternoon, and maybe once you've rid me of these bloody inconvenient emotions I can teach without feeling the urge to strangle my students every other minute."

"Yes, Sev," she said serenely. "When?"

"Not till you've had a few sessions with the children, they need you more than I do right now.  Work with them first, Healer."

"Fine, Mr. Stubborn.  But if you don't come to me willingly in a month's time, I'll drag you out of class by your ear and into my office like a misbehaving four-year-old."

He snorted.  "Coercion of patients is forbidden.  You'd lose your license."

"Only if you report me, and we both know you never would. So save your ears, Snape, and just come to one session."

She knew that once she actually got him to speak about his feelings, he would see what a relief it was to unburden himself and return for another session without her urging.  He was a complex man, her friend, bloody stubborn and very critical of himself, but she had dealt with his perfectionist personality before, and she knew how to get around his protests.  Once he admitted that he needed help, he would be open to letting her give it to him, for he had learned long ago to trust her, and he would not require as much of her healing now as he had last year.  Then he had been a severely damaged individual, his soul torn apart by what he had seen and been forced to do in his course of work as a spy, as well as childhood trauma from an abusive father.  It had taken her a year and a half to put him back together, and still there were scars.  But that was all right, for everyone had them, and there was no such thing as perfect.  Every Empathic Healer Counselor knew that for truth.

He abruptly changed the subject to a safer and more mundane one.  "Have you thought of a name for the baby yet?"

"No, but we're working on it. I suggested William Francis, if it's a boy, for Billy and his dad, or Zachary William, for mine.  He likes Aileen Grace for a girl, and I like Serena Joy, so . . .it's a toss up.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  When the baby's born, then I'll know."

"Procrastinating, Keegan?" he teased, arching an eyebrow.

"Be quiet, Snape! You're one to talk, procrastinating my therapy sessions," she mock-scolded, smacking him playfully on the behind.

"Watch it, Keegan. Before I take drastic measures against you."

"Drastic measures, what's that?"

"Oh, I don't know.  Maybe a little thing involving my fingers tickling your ribs, that sort of thing," he smirked mischievously, for he knew she was very ticklish.  He snaked out a hand, aiming for her vulnerable side.

"No!" she yelped, jerking away.  "Sev, don't you dare! If you tickle me, I'll start laughing, and my bladder can't take it . . ."

"But I thought it didn't matter if you were pregnant," he said outrageously, wriggling his fingers threateningly.

"Snape, get away! Your hand touches me and I'll . . .I'll . . ."

"What?" he demanded, inching closer to her.  "Call the Aurors? Tell Albus on me?"

"I'll pee all over your floor!" she gasped.  "And then I'll die of embarrassment and you'll have to find some other therapist willing to put up with you-you impossible man!"

Severus held up his hands.  "Truce!"

Then they looked at each other and both of them collapsed on the sofa in a fit of laughter. 

Harry and Holly came into the den at that moment and just looked at them. 

"What's up with them?" Holly asked.

"Got me.  She's pregnant and he's Dad," Harry said, as if that explained everything.

"Oh.  That makes sense," his sister said, then she went to get a glass of milk from the spelled cooler in the pantry. 

* * * * * *

The therapy sessions went well, Susan allowed each child to talk about the way they had felt about various things-the notes, the prejudice over Squibs and Muggleborns, Lucius, Throckmorton, being chased by the Wild Hunt, growing up in Malfoy manor, or Valina's flat. 

Harry told her about the detention cards and how he felt ashamed that James had tormented Severus in school.  "I never really understood why Dad could talk about my mum and not my father, but now I do.  Because who wants to remember somebody who beat you up and hexed you every day?"

"Understandable, and how does it make you feel, Harry, knowing that?"

"I feel bad and mad too.  I feel bad for my dad, ‘cause I've been where he was, and mad at James for being such an . . .an arsehole!" he blurted.  Then he put a hand over his mouth.  "Oops! Sorry, Healer Sue."

"That's all right, Harry.  In therapy you're allowed to use swear words if you need to, just don't ever do it outside of here, or else your dad will wash out your mouth."

"I know.  But well, it just makes me mad and sometimes . . .sometimes I wish he were here, so I could ask him why he did that to dad, and Mr. Filch, and all those other kids too."

"Well, Harry, I can't really answer that question, but what I can do is hazard a guess that James was probably a tad bit insecure himself.  He acted all tough and confident to hide the fact that maybe he was afraid of being unpopular or ignored, some people need to be the center of attention or else they feel like they don't matter.  It might have been that which caused him to become a bully, because it feels good to know that there's somebody else out there who's lower than you, and when you pick on that person, it gives you a sense of control and power."

"Like my father," Draco added.

"Yes, I'd imagine Lucius was a bully too.  But probably a nastier one than James, all things considered." Susan agreed.  "Most bullies are afraid of being teased or left out, so they do things to make other kids afraid of them, so they won't have to worry about being on the outside looking in.  That's what I think James and Sirius were doing.  It was wrong, and Sev and the others suffered for it, but that's the best reason why I can think of.  Does that help a little?"

"Yeah.  But I still don't like it."

"Nor should you, Harry.  I'm glad that you have compassion, it'll make sure that you never become a bully.  But Harry, you shouldn't blame yourself for something your father did.  You aren't him, and that burden isn't one you should be carrying. Place the guilt where it belongs, son-on him, not you. Okay?" She gently project comforting feelings at him.

Harry relaxed, and then he gave her a tentative smile.  "Okay.  I'll try."

"You're gonna grow up to be a better man than he was, Harry, like I am and Draco too," Holly stated then.  "Because we know where they went wrong and promise never to make the same mistakes."

"Very good, Holly! You don't need to follow in your father's footsteps, because you are your own person, and can make your own choices and someday you will be considerate and generous adults and you can make your children proud of you." Susan said.

"That's what I want," Draco said quietly.  "I want my kid to look at me and say, I want to be like you when I'm bigger, not there goes another Death Eater who scares the spit out of me."

"And someday you will, Draco." Healer Keegan said earnestly.  "Believe in yourself and you can do anything."

 

* * * * * *

The sessions ranged from an hour to two hours at the most, and often Susan didn't have to encourage them to talk, once they got past their first session and an awkward shyness, they found discussing their inner demons with each other helped a lot.  Sometimes the sessions were painful, especially for Holly and Draco, who had abusive pasts to overcome, but Susan always carried a supply of handkerchiefs and could soothe a sobbing child with a touch or word, though most times she allowed the children to cry themselves out, explaining that repressing emotions wasn't good for you, and sometimes a good cry was necessary. 

Severus and Narcissa joined them for later sessions, in the beginning they thought it best if the children grew comfortable discussing things with each other before they came to the sessions. But when Draco began to bring up some of what Lucius had done to him at Malfoy Manor, Healer Keegan requested both adults be there.

"He's going to need your support, especially yours, Cissa, and that means you need to know what he went through.  There are things he hasn't told you."

So Severus and Narcissa were present for that session, and Susan explained to Draco that it was important he share what had gone on with his mother and Severus, who had a similar background.  Draco agreed, reluctantly.

"Father used to get really mad at me when I said I was afraid of something, like the dark or insects.  He told me that a Malfoy should always be brave and never a coward, and only a coward feared things." Draco explained, feeling a bit awkward admitting to such a thing when his mother and the professor, whom he admired and respected, were there.  Discussing private matters with Holly and Harry no longer bothered him, he was comfortable with his sister and almost brother now.

"What did your father do when you told him you were afraid of something?" Sue prompted.

Draco gulped.  "He . . .he'd yell at me and call me names . . .crybaby, little sodding sissy, gutless coward . . .and then he'd tell me I wasn't allowed to act like that, I had a reputation to uphold and sometimes he'd . . .throw me into a dark closet and tell me I had to stay there until I quit being  a baby and afraid of the dark. I think I was five then." The boy hugged himself.  "Once he left me there so long that I . . .I wet myself, and when he found out, he walloped me with his cane till I couldn't  sit down for a day or so."  He winced and flushed, but when he darted a glance at his mother and Severus they did not look disgusted at all, only saddened and Narcissa looked horrified.

Narcissa gasped.  "I never knew that! Draco, why didn't you ever tell me?"

"You were away then, at a benefit, and he made me swear to never tell or else he'd hex my tongue out." Draco answered, sniffling.  "I believed him." His mother's face was drained of all color save for two pink spots high on her cheekbones.

"What else did he do?"

"Another time he shut me in a room with a bunch of insects and they crawled over me, I was so scared I nearly threw up, but I didn't ‘cause I knew he'd think I was weak and he'd just beat me again." He looked at his mother helplessly.  "I couldn't tell, Mother, I wanted to, but I was scared he'd curse me . . .I'm sorry!"

"Oh, Dragon! You have nothing to be sorry for." She held out her arms and Draco came and curled up in her lap, something he had not done since he was seven. "I'm the one who's sorry, sorry I didn't hex the bastard to the moon the first time he raised a hand to you.  If I had known . . .I'm sorry I should have realized there was something going on, I should have protected you better, son . . ." She began to cry softly.

Draco jerked his head up from Narcissa's shoulder, terribly upset to see the other crying.  "Don't, Mum! Don't cry, please! It's not your fault!" He hugged Narcissa hard and then he began to cry too. 

Susan let them vent for quite a long time before interjecting, "Neither of you are to blame for what happened, Narcissa and Draco.  Can you tell me who is to blame, either of you?"

It was Draco who answered.  "My father."

"Good.  He hurt and abused his son and like most abusers, coerced his victim to keep silent.  That's a common trait among child abusers, as Severus knows very well, right, Sev?"

Severus nodded gravely. Though he rarely discussed his past with anyone, save Susan and Albus, he had agreed to speak of it this time if it would help Draco and the others overcome their fears. He had long ago come to terms with what had happened.  "Yes.  Draco, you aren't a coward at all for not standing up to Lucius.  Lucius was an adult, he was stronger and bigger and he betrayed your trust by hurting you.  You didn't deserve it, whatever he did was cruel and unnecessary, and he was a beast, not a true father.  Like my own."

"Y'mean, your dad beat you and locked you in closets too?" Draco asked, staring at Snape in dazed comprehension.

The professor nodded again.  "Yes.  Though his reasons were a bit different.  He wished me to be a "normal" boy and he used his hand and his belt to try and beat the unnatural magic out of me.  I was forbidden to speak of magic or anything to do with the wizarding world at home, he threatened to break my wand if I defied him.  Or, even worse, hurt my mother, who was also a victim of his rages.  Looking back on it, it was a miracle I lived through those years.  Though there were many times I wished I hadn't."

"Dad!" Harry cried, anger and horror mingled in his tone.  "You shouldn't ever wish that! That miserable bloody bugger! I hope he's dead.  ‘Cause if he's not I'm gonna kill him!" Then he burst into tears.

"Come here, son," Severus reached over to where Harry was sitting on the couch and drew his son into his lap.  "Shhh . . .it was a long time ago, Harry.  I don't feel that way anymore . . .There's no need to worry about me . . .Tobias Snape died years ago, Harry, of an alcoholic overdose . . ."

"Good!" Harry sobbed, and Holly added her own voice to that, coming over to hug Severus as well. 

For a few minutes, Severus was kept busy comforting the two children, but when they had calmed down somewhat, he returned to his original topic.  "It's easy to believe what your father told you, Draco, because a son looks up to a father as a role model, and wants to please him.  Merlin knows that even after he hit me, I still wanted to please my father, I thought it was my fault I couldn't, that I deserved to get whipped for not being what he wanted.  I was afraid and I hated him but at the same time I would have given anything to have him say he was proud of me.  Do you understand where I'm coming from, Draco?"

Draco sat up and nodded.  "Yeah, I do.  I felt like that too."

Severus leaned forward then. "But you need to know this as well . . .Lucius lied to you when he said you were a coward, when he told you he needed to beat you or punish you for your own good.  He lied, Draco.  Just as my father did to me.  You deserved none of what he did to you.  You were a child, and all children are afraid of something and no child deserves to be terrified into obedience, not for any reason.  It wasn't your fault. Repeat that, please."

Draco swallowed.  Then he said, very quietly, "It . . .it wasn't my fault.  It was Father's."

"Good!" Susan praised.  "Now I want you to say that to yourself ten times before bed every day, and write it in your journal too." She had given Harry and Draco journals similar to Holly's so they could record their thoughts in them.  "Thanks, Sev, for prompting."

Severus looked uncomfortable.  "I shouldn't have, that's your job."

"Yeah, well even I need help sometimes, Snape, and you've been through this before, so you know what to expect." She looked at Narcissa.  "It's important that you stop blaming yourself as well, Cissa.  You might be his mother, but you're not a goddess.  You should repeat that sentence also, keep saying it until you realize it for the truth."

"I will, Healer," the witch promised. She wiped her face with a handkerchief Draco handed her. She hugged her son again.  "Together we'll get through this, Draco."

"I know, Mother."

* * * * * *

 

Thereafter, Narcissa also attended most sessions, though she didn't often volunteer information in front of the children, since some of what Lucius had done to her was not fit for their ears, she provided moral support for Draco and Harry and Holly if they needed it.  Severus tried to be there as well, but his current course load often kept him too busy to attend sessions, though when he was there he often ended up with a child hugging him and weeping into his robes.

Most times, Harry ended up hugging Holly, or Holly hugging Draco, though once all three ended up hugging each other and crying over the incident with the Wild Hunt, for they all blamed themselves for risking their parents' lives, for they knew that Severus and Narcissa would have sacrificed themselves for their children. 

It was very upsetting on one level, and yet on another, as Holly admitted, it also made them feel good.  "It's great to be wanted and to know that you're loved that much.  I knew that kind of love with my mum, but never my father.  And after what he did to me, I felt like I never would again, until Severus came and said he would sacrifice himself for me. And as much as I hated him for saying it, I loved him too.  Because then I knew I was worth something again."

It was a long slow process, but gradually they all began to heal, as Healer Keegan helped them confront their fears and guilt and find their way back from the Forest of Desolation, as she called the place inside themselves that was filled with despair and dread and self-loathing.  She also used her empathic gift to heal them through meditation and trancing. 

But all in all, the therapy was a success, and after a month, the children were much more confident and stable in their new homes and slept without nightmares.  They also had bonded due to the intimate nature of the sessions, until they all considered each other family. 

Severus too had agreed to more sessions in private after his initial "only" one with Susan, finding the guilt much easier to vanquish after he had admitted it to her.

"Did you have any reason to suspect Harry and Holly were the victims of a compulsion?" she began.

"No.  I thought they were safe here at school, it was why I took them with me in the first place."

"Then it would have never occurred to you to check for a compulsion, right? Especially after you had just kicked the crap out of Throckie and thought he was a hawk's dinner, right?"

"Yes.  Had I known he was alive-"

Susan held up a hand.  "But you didn't.  Now stop playing what-if and realize that you are not omnipotent, Severus.  You cannot possibly know or see everything that goes on, master spy and wizard or not.  You're only human, Sev, and sometimes you fail."

"But I don't want to fail them, Susan!" he cried angrily.  "They need me too much."

"Sev, it's not failing to admit you made a mistake."

"A mistake that could have damaged them permanently.  They were falling apart from that bastard's spells and I didn't even know it. I sat back and watched it happen like . . ." he trailed off and clamped his mouth shut.

But Susan sensed he was repressing a memory and said sternly, "Like what? Don't block it out, Severus.  Talk to me.  Who or what sat back and watched something happen to you?"

He remained stubbornly silent for a long moment despite her gentle mental urging.

Susan waited, folding her hands over her huge stomach patiently, reminding him of a female Buddha. 

At last he sighed, knowing she would wait until doomsday if necessary.  "My mother.  She . . .she sat and watched while my father . . .hit me and verbally abused me for half my childhood."

"And why did she do that?"

"Because . . .she was afraid of him, like I was . . .he hurt her too . . .and I knew but I still wanted her to help me . . .but she couldn't or didn't . . .she just watched while he hurt me, damn her! I understand now . . .he had broken her and she had nothing left for me . . .but I still . . ."

"You're still angry with her for not protecting you the way a mother should." Susan finished. 

"Yes.  Yes, I am."

"Then say it for me."

He did.  "And that's why I'm so angry at myself," he said slowly only realizing it now. "Because I don't want to be her, Sue.  I want to protect my children, I want to keep them safe, and to be there for them the way my parents never were."

"And you are, Severus.  I see it every time I come here.  Your kids love you, Sev.  They come to you for advice, and if they need a hug, or if they're having trouble with a subject.  They know that you're the one who can help them if something goes wrong."

"Ha! Something did go wrong, and I was a blind fool!"

"Yes, you missed the notes that vanished after they were read and the fact that your children were held prisoner by a compulsion spell set in the parchment created by a dead man."

"He wasn't dead."

"Did you know that?"

"No."

"Then how were you to know about the notes? You are not culpable for things you did not know, Severus.  Remember my rule?"

"Yes."

"Tell me."

"You can only blame yourself if you knew beforehand that what you did or said was wrong."

"Ah.  Then . . .are you to blame for this, Severus Snape?"

"No . . .I suppose not."

"Good! Now, I want you to take four deep breaths, close your eyes, and meditate for a bit."

Once he was breathing and relaxed, she began to hum quietly, projecting feelings of peace and reassurance at him, soothing away the raw patches in his spirit.  He sighed and slumped on the sofa, they were in his apartment, he had requested they hold the sessions there, he was more comfortable there and he had wards to prevent anyone from overhearing or interrupting them.

She brought him out of his meditative trance some fifteen minutes later.

"How do you feel now, Sev?"

"Better.  You . . .were right, Keegan.  I did need this."

"I know.  Next time, don't argue, just do what I say, Sev," she said.  "Now, would you like to schedule another session?"

"For what? I don't feel guilty any more over the notes."

"How about nearly losing your children?"

"Well, of course I'm upset over that! I'd be a lousy father if I wasn't!"

"Good. Then that can be the next topic we discuss.  Same time next Tuesday?"

"I . . .uh . . .yes.  Otherwise you'll hound me to death."

She laughed and hugged him.  "You're getting better, Snape.  Time was you used to fight me tooth and nail every session."

"Until I learned I would have better results fighting the tide," he remarked with a crooked smile.

"See, you can be taught, professor," she said impudently.  "See you next week, Sev.  Gotta run, before Billy tries to cook supper again and we end up eating charcoal."

"He still can't cook?"

"Nope.  But I love him anyway." She kissed his cheek and then Flooed back to her home in Yorkshire. 

* * * * * *

The next session went even better than the first one, as she coaxed him to admit how afraid he had been when he had learned that the Wild Hunt was pursuing his daughter. 

"Susan I was . . .I felt as if I had a mountain on my chest when I heard those damn hounds baying, I was riding a unicorn and praying I could get there in time, that I wouldn't be too late . . .I felt as if ice were trickling through me and at the same time my stomach was about to come up out of my throat . . .you can't imagine it until you have one of your own . . ."

"And when you saw that she was still alive, and preparing to die, what did you feel then?"

"Even more petrified.  But I had to save her, and so I offered myself.  And then I saw that Harry was there too, and I nearly fell off the unicorn.  Because now I had two to save and I couldn't bear to choose between them."

"It was good that you didn't have to, Sev."

"Yes, thank Merlin.  If I had . . .No, there would have been no way I could have done so.  I love them both too much." He shivered involuntarily, recalling the dreadful fear that had possessed him.  "I have never felt such fear in my life, Sue.  Not even facing Riddle himself.  He could only torture and kill me.  But the Hunt . . .the Hunt nearly cost me my children.  That would have broken me, if I had survived." He swallowed hard and shut his eyes, tears trickling unnoticed down his face. 

Susan handed him a handkerchief, and he took it and blotted his eyes, muttering something under his breath. 

"Sev, it's okay to cry.  This isn't the first time you've done that with me."

"I know, but I'm . . .being ridiculous, crying over something that never happened."

"So? You're stressed and upset and frightened.  It's a normal reaction." She moved over to sit next to him and slipped an arm about him.  "There, now you have my shoulder to cry on."

"For what? If you think I'm about to turn into a waterfall because you're hugging me, Keegan . . ." he half-growled.

The Mind Healer shrugged.  "It's there if you need it, Snape. Tell me about Holly.  Would you say that you love her as much as Harry?"

"Yes.  She is very special, though she thinks she's not . . .silly child, she doesn't know how much it meant to me when she called me "Dad" . . ." he coughed and to his horror realized that memory had conjured more tears.  Ah, damn it! He sniffed and tried to draw away, but Sue held him and he breathed in the soothing smell of lavender and chamomile that clung to her shirt and he allowed himself the release of tears, tears born of stress and guilt and empathy for what his poor daughter had gone through in her short life.

Susan merely held him, occasionally patting his back, until the tears had run their course, then she handed him yet another handkerchief and said, "Good job, Sev. You've been needing that."

"That's the first time anyone's ever complimented me for crying on them," he remarked, half-amused, and half-scornful, though the scorn was for himself, not her.

"Hey, any time I can bring down those walls of yours long enough to get you to release some of that tension you've built up, Snape, is a good days work.  You're a damn tough nut to crack."

"Oh? Then it's lucky you're a damn good therapist."

"Thanks, Sev.  Well, I'd better head home, I think I need a nap.  Billy's away on a business trip so it's just me, myself, and I at home tonight." She began to rise from the couch.

"He left you alone when you're this close to your due date?" Severus frowned.

"Oh, I'll be fine. It's two days, Sev, and I'm over a week away from the due date, so I'm not going to worry . . .oh my!" She gasped as a sharp cramp rippled through her. She put a hand to her back.

"Oh my? What's that supposed to mean?" Severus demanded, staring at her with dawning comprehension.  "Holy Merlin! You're having contractions."

"No . . .well yes, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.  It's probably false labor . . .happens all the time to first time mothers . . .oh damn, that one hurt!"

"How long have you been having them?" Severus demanded.

"I've been feeling twinges for almost an hour, but nothing like this."

"And you didn't tell me?" he growled.  "Bloody hell!"

"We were in the middle of a session and I've been having twinges all week, Snape!" she growled back, then gasped as another pain hit.  "Maybe I'm wrong . . .and it's the real thing! Oh God! My water just broke," she cried in dismay.  "I'm so sorry, look at the carpet!"

"Forget about my damn carpet, Keegan! I'll have it cleaned.  You can't have the baby here, Sue! I mean, I'm a Potions Master, not a Healer.  Can you walk? Is it safe to Floo to the infirmary?"

"Yes, I think so." The Mind Healer panted.  "Has Poppy delivered any babies?"

"I think so.  Either way, we're about to find out." He helped her to stand, then threw down a handful of Floo powder and shouted, "Hogwarts infirmary!"

He stuck his head through and yelled, "Poppy! You need to get a bed ready, because Sue just went into labor and you're going to have to deliver a baby!"

"Are you sure, Severus?" Poppy called.

"Quite sure, I'm bringing her through now."

Chapter End Notes:
So what do you think Sue will have?

And how did you like all the sessions?