Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The Snapes come to Hogwarts, but all does not go smoothly.
A Bit of Tension

The days following Severus's birthday passed in a kind of whirlwind for both Harry and Holly.  Before they knew it, it was Saturday night, and Severus had made a final inspection of all their bags and their trunk and so on.  That night, Holly was so excited she couldn't fall asleep.  She kept thinking about all the things Harry had ever told her about Hogwarts, like the potions classroom was in the dungeon, under the Black Lake, which had a giant squid in it. She wondered if the squid were dangerous?

Harry had also told her that the staircases moved and there was a giant gamekeeper named Hagrid who had all kinds of interesting wild animals that he raised and he occasionally wandered the forest out back and he had taken Harry with him once or twice, to see baby unicorns and griffin chicks. Holly sighed and wished morning would hurry up and get here, she would love to see a baby unicorn or a griffin or even a puppy.  Valina had not been allowed to have any animals in her flat, but Holly loved them, and couldn't wait to see magical ones.

She yawned, then found her eyes shutting in spite of herself.  In moments, she was asleep, dreaming of unicorns. 

Severus came into the den to check upon her soon after, and was pleased to note that the child had fallen asleep with a smile on her face.  He gently tucked the blankets about her and whispered, "Pleasant dreams, little one," before departing.

He headed into Harry's room next, and found his son sprawled half off the bed, his covers tangled about his wiry frame.  The Potions Master shook his head and slipped an arm underneath Harry and moved him back to the center of the bed, and straightened the covers.  "Who are you fighting in your sleep, Harry mine? More bullies?" Severus whispered, smoothing his son's hair from his forehead and kissing his brow lightly.  "Sleep well, my brave one."

Only after performing this nightly ritual did Severus return to his own room to sleep until dawn touched the tops of the lamp posts.

* * * * * *

Holly was awed at her first glimpse of Hogwarts.  She had thought Malfoy Manor was big, but it could fit in one corner of the castle.  Knowing full well that it was easy to get lost in the castle the first time one entered it, Severus insisted the children carry maps that would point out the way back to his quarters, which were located next to the Slytherin dormitory and also his classroom.  "Keep the map upon you at all times," he had reminded them at least twenty times when they first arrived.  Harry had rolled his eyes, plainly he was familiar with this injunction, but Holly quickly promised she would obey her guardian, eager as she was to explore the castle with Harry.

Severus had insisted they unpack before wandering about anywhere, and he told the children he had a brief staff meeting with the other House Heads and the Headmaster, he would return in an hour to have lunch in their quarters.  "Afterwards, you may go and see Hagrid, I believe he said he has a new crop of unicorn foals to show you, Harry.  And you can introduce him to Silver."

"Dad, are we still pretending Silver's only part wolf?" Harry asked.

Severus nodded.  "We must.  It would not be safe for him if anyone suspected otherwise.  He is too intelligent for a mere animal, and people must never suspect he is anything like a werewolf.  And true wolves are extinct here, you both know that, so you must pretend he is nothing more than a very intelligent wolf-dog."

Harry bit his lip, he hated lying about the true nature of Silver.  "But Dad, it's so degrading.  For Silver, I mean."

Severus sighed.  "Harry, Silver understands.  It is unfortunate, but  Remus does not want the truth to be known.  He would be an object of curiosity and viewed with distrust and he especially does not want the Headmaster knowing what he is."

"Why?" Holly asked then.  "Will the Headmaster think he's evil or something?"

"No, but he often meddles in things best left alone.  Silver fears he may try and undo Silverstrike's magic, and make things worse.  The Headmaster believes he knows best for everyone, and he will not like that Remus chose to remain a wolf over being a man.  He has never fully understood the agony the werewolf curse was for Remus, not just physically, but emotionally." Severus cleared his throat and gave both the children a warning look.  "So, for the sake of Silver's sanity, you will both remain quiet on this subject.  And in public, Silver will act like an ordinary animal."

Both children agreed, then they went to finish unpacking.

Though Severus's quarters were not huge, he did manage to get the house elves to add on a small room for his ward, and so Holly had her own room in the castle.  He told her she could decorate it however she wished, she simply had to tell the elves what she wanted and they would provide it for her.  The little girl was delighted and gave him  a hug before departing to ask the elves to make the walls of her bedroom a pretty cream color with small rosebuds climbing it, like she had back at her flat with Valina. 

Severus turned to Harry and said, "Remind me to do that at our house as well."

"Is she gonna stay with us forever then?"

"If I can get Lucius to relinquish paternity rights, then yes." Severus said.

"Did he already do that when he dumped her into the snow?"

"Yes and no.  I know he  does not claim her as his child, but his name is on her birth certificate, even though she doesn't bear his last name. In order for me to adopt her, he has to sign a waver that he denies any rights as her blood father."

"Will he?"

"If he's smart, he will," Severus growled.  Though knowing Lucius, he might deny Severus because he knew that was what Severus and Holly both wanted.  And Dumbledore probably would caution Severus to wait as well.  Severus intended to do as he damn well pleased.  "I have to be going to my meeting.  Stay here and tell Holly about living here, and don't get into trouble.  I should be back in an hour."

"Okay, Dad," said Harry, and then Severus left, his long black cloak rustling about him as he slipped out the door and down the hallway.

 * * * * * *

The staff meeting dragged on interminably from Severus's viewpoint, and he had to fight to keep from yawning or drumming his fingers upon the table.  But at last Albus wound down his "Welcome Back" pep talk and handed out the class rosters for the term and the schedules for the Houses.  Then the Headmaster announced that they would have two new additional little guests this term. 

"Of course, you all know Harry, Severus's son from past years he has spent here, but he has recently become the guardian of a little girl, Holly Sinclair, as well."

"Is that the girl you rescued from freezing to death in Diagon Alley?" queried Professor Flitwick.

"The Squib child?" asked Trelawney dreamily.  "I foresee great danger in her future."

Severus ignored her, Trelawney never predicted true as far as he was concerned, and she was overfond of prophecies of doom and gloom.  "Yes, she is that same child, Filius.  Her mother was a student here, perhaps you remember Valina Sinclair?" He had no intention of revealing who her father was to the staff, so far only Minerva and Albus knew the full story of Holly's parentage.  They could be trusted to keep silent, the others had a tendency to gossip, and the last thing Severus wanted was more publicity. 

 

"Yes, of course!" exclaimed Flitwick, beaming.  "She was one of my best charms students.  A good lass, and she was good in potions too, if I recall correctly."

"You do."

"A pity that she died from a potions accident though," remarked Minerva sadly.

The rest of them nodded solemnly.  Then Professor Sprout said, "But what will the children be doing since they cannot attend classes?"

"I have arranged my schedule so that I may tutor them in the afternoons, Pomona. Harry is old enough to begin some form of magical education and Holly I shall teach Muggle subjects.  As you know, I am well-versed in both areas." The Potions Master replied.  "Fear not, I have told them they are to stay away from your greenhouse."

Professor Sprout heaved a sigh.  "Thank you, Severus.  It's not that I mind them coming in to look around, but I don't want them getting hurt.  Some of my plant species are carnivorous and dangerous."

"I will stress they stay away from your greenhouse, Pomona," said the professor. "They will have plenty to occupy them with their schoolwork and Hagrid has volunteered to watch them in the mornings when I have classes."

"Perhaps you ought to introduce the girl to Filch," suggested the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, a tall sallow blond fellow called Victor Throckmorton. "I'm sure they'd have a lot in common, since he can barely cast spells either.  Perhaps he could show her how to clean the trophies and wax the floor."  That last was said with a sly snigger and a smirk.

Severus shot the teacher a glare that should have fried Throckmorton where he sat. "What are you implying, Throckmorton? That she is no better than a servant because she is a Squib?"

Throckmorton shrugged insolently.  "Aren't they all? Don't get all steamed, Snape.  It was a joke," he added quickly, seeing Severus's eyes start to glitter with barely restrained temper. 

"In poor taste!" snapped the Potions Master.  "You will refrain from making such degrading comments in my presence, Throckmorton, or else you will learn why I was awarded a Master of Combat plaque last year." Snape's jaw was clenched so hard he could have broken a molar.  "I did not bring her here to allow anyone to sneer at her or turn her into a glorified servant, the way you have done to Argus. She is my ward, and as such she will be treated respectfully, or else you will answer to me."

 

"Now, Severus-" began Dumbledore, trying to head off any nasty confrontation.

"Am I clear?" demanded the black-robed wizard implacably.

Throckmorton swallowed, for Severus's stare made him feel like a mouse standing before a hungry falcon, it stripped and shredded him to the bone. And, though he was a Defense teacher, he knew he was not in Severus's class, and he was suddenly afraid.  "Yes.  Point taken."

Satisfied that he had quelled any start of bigotry among the staff at least, Severus settled back in his chair and waited for the meeting to end.  He would keep an eye on Throckmorton though, and tell Harry and Holly to avoid him, and warn Silver to be aware as well of the other's prejudice.  Throckmorton's smug attitude grated on Severus's nerves and made him long to slug the man.

But after that bit of tension, the meeting went smoothly, and Severus hoped he would actually get back in time for lunch when he caught Dumbledore giving him a secret sign as the old wizard lifted his cup of tea.  It was the old signal he used to use back when Severus was still a spy, to indicate he wished to speak with the Potions Master privately.

Severus bit back a sigh.  It was clear that Albus wished to discuss Severus's little matter of Holly further.  I may as well summon an elf and tell him to give Harry and Holly lunch, since I will no doubt be delayed. He made the countersign, and Albus coughed in response. 

Then the old wizard dismissed the meeting and the teachers all rose and filed out of the room. 

* * * * * *

"Was it truly necessary, my boy, to threaten Victor that way? The poor fellow nearly wet his robes, I think," Dumbeldore reprimanded softly, though Severus noted a twinkle hiding behind the half-moon spectacles.  "Your reputation precedes you, Severus."

"Good, and don't expect me to apologize to the oaf either, Albus.  I will not have him looking down his nose at Holly, she got enough of that from Lucius, and that is the last thing she needs.  Do you know that her self-esteem was so damaged by Lucius's rejection and neglect that I have had to employ a Mind Healer for therapy sessions? Yes, Albus, a Mind Healer!"

"She is that badly off?"

Severus nodded grimly.  "She believes she is worthless, Lucius made that quite clear to her when he shoved her into the street and turned his back on her.  She is just beginning to trust me and consider the fact that she is worthy of being loved and I will not have smug asses like Throckmorton undoing her progress by passing nasty remarks about her."

"Poor child! I had not realized . . ." said Dumbledore sadly.

"Now you do, Albus.  And mark me, if you do not keep him in check, I will."

"Severus, don't be hasty.  I shall speak to Victor and make certain he keeps his opinions to himself."

"Humph! Perhaps you should never have hired him."

"There weren't too many candidates to choose from, and if I start discriminating over prejudiced beliefs I would barely have a staff left.  Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, Severus, you know that.  Though I don't agree with it, the prejudice against Squibs has been around for centuries."

"I know, Albus." Severus said coldly.  "Regardless, I will not tolerate it among my colleagues.  It is one thing to endure it among students, for I cannot discipline them all, but Throckmorton is an adult and should be able to exercise restraint in this matter."

"Quite true.  Settle down, Severus.  My carpet is quite worn as it is," Albus joked, and the Potions Master quit pacing and seated himself.  "You are certain Lucius does not know where she is?"

"He may.  Or not.  But here is safer for her than my home.  Here I can keep an eye on her and Harry."

"And does the child know that she is not the only Malfoy offspring?"

"No.  Lucius was careful to keep his two lives separate.  I'm sure Valina knew of Narcissa and Draco, but Holly does not."

"Will you tell her then?"

"Why, Albus? What possible good can come of it? For her to know that she has a half-brother who matters more in her father's eyes than she ever will? And don't tell me it might be good for her to know she has a family besides Lucius either.  Draco has been raised in his father's shadow, he would be horrified to learn he has a half-sister who is a Squib.  There would not be any kind of joyous reunion or whatever you were thinking, Albus.  Lucius made it unconditionally clear to her that she was less than nothing to him, that he never loved her mother, and he valued her only for the magic she might have inherited.  Meeting Draco or learning that he had another family that he lavished his time and money and affection on would only hurt her more.  And she has been hurt enough." Severus steepled his fingers and said firmly, "I intend to demand that Lucius release all claims to her and thus allow me to adopt her eventually.  I am her family now.  And Harry. And no one insults my child and gets away with it."

"Peace, Severus!" Dumbledore held up his hands in surrender.  "Your little one is safe. I doubt if Victor will come within ten meters of her now." He chuckled.  "I never realized you could be so fierce, like a falcon defending her chicks.  And they aren't even your natural children."

Severus coughed uncomfortably. But he recovered swiftly, and said pointedly, "As if that matters! You of all people should know better, Albus Dumbledore! Did you weep any less when the plague took your adopted son Julian along with your wife and your daughter Felicia all those years ago? Did you say to yourself, it hurts less because my son was not of my blood?  Minerva told me you were in mourning for over five years for all of them."

"That is so," the old wizard admitted, and in his eyes was an endless sorrow, though he had lost his family over thirty years ago, when a virulent magical plague had swept through Britain's wizarding community, before a cure was discovered.  "To this day I regret not listening to Leanna and sending Julian away when she first showed signs of the plague.  He might have survived, he was far stronger than she or Felicia was. . . but I was proud and he paid for my folly.  When he died, I mourned him as if he were my own, you are right.  Forgive me, I did not mean to imply that you did not bear a father's love for his children, Severus. I was simply . . . surprised that you could defend a child you hardly know so fiercely."

"I may not have known her long, Albus, but there is an . . .innocence and a . . . sweetness about her that I have not seen since . . .Lily and I were children. And no, I am not becoming a sentimental idiot.  You will understand when you meet her. What surprises me the most is that she came from someone as jaded and perverted as Lucius.  She is her mother's daughter. The only thing she inherited from Lucius is her looks."

"Is there a strong resemblance?"

"I would say yes.  But I can put a working on her to disguise her somewhat, she dislikes resembling Lucius as much as he dislikes admitting she is his daughter."

"Good.  That would be best, I think."

"If that is all you wished to discuss, I should be getting back to them." Severus said, somewhat impatiently.

"Of course, my boy.  Would you mind if I visited later on?"

"No, come by around seven, by then they should have calmed down sufficiently to remember their manners." Severus said.  Then he added, "And no bringing them any sweets, old fox!"

"But Severus, they're children . . ."

"Yes, and they don't need you feeding them sugar, they already eat too many sweets as it is. And I am too tired tonight to be dealing with hyper children, Albus."

"Not even a single bag of Fizzing Whizzbees?"

"Albus, if you value your Potion Master's sanity and the lives of your students . . ."

"Very well.  No Fizzing Whizzbees."

"Or anything else," Severus countered, knowing how clever the other wizard was.

Dumbledore sighed, looking very much like a petulant eight-year-old.  "All right.  But if I happen to encounter them elsewhere . . ."

Severus bit back a groan.  He had no doubt that by tomorrow night his two imps would be bouncing off the walls, courtesy of a sneaky old man who loved sweets as much as any child.   

* * * * * *

After lunch with Severus, Harry and Holly visited Hagrid down by his cottage.  Harry, familiar with the grounds from many weekends and nights spent at the castle, led Holly down the path with confidence.  They passed several students coming to and fro from classes.  Some waved hello to Harry and nodded at Holly too, others ignored them, and a few gave Holly odd looks, but no one said anything unkind. 

Holly was quite relieved, given her past experience with other children, and thought that she would perhaps enjoy herself here after all. The giant man greeted Harry with a hug that lifted him off his feet.

"Hiya, Harry! Been a long time, eh?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess so, Hagrid.  I haven't seen you since . . .before the holidays." Harry grinned, and the big man carefully set him down.  "Hagrid, this is my foster sister, Holly.  She'll be staying at Hogwarts with me and Dad for this term."

"'ello, Holly.  I'm Hagrid, the gamekeeper round here.  Pleased to meet you." He held out a large meaty paw to her.

"Hello.  Pleased to meet you too, sir," the little girl said respectfully, shaking the huge hand lightly. Oddly enough, though he was five times her height, Holly did not feel intimidated at all by the big man.  He reminded her of an eager overgrown sheepdog pup. 

"Ah, no need t'call me sir, Holly.  Just plain Hagrid will do.  Sir's for the professors."

"Or Dad, when you're in trouble," added Harry.

"Aye, that too," chuckled the gamekeeper.  "Though I'll bet Holly ain't in half the trouble you are, Harry." He winked at the boy to show he was only teasing, but Harry just laughed.  He knew he was a scamp, and didn't mind when people pointed it out to him. "Anyways, let's go down to the little corral here.  I've got two unicorn mums an' their foals t'show you."

"Awesome!" exclaimed Harry.

"Neat! Can we pet them?" asked Holly.

"Yuh can, but first let ‘em get usta you," cautioned Hagrid.  "The unicorn mares can get kinda touchy if they don't know you an' you try an' touch their baby."

The big man led the way in back of his cottage to a large wooden corral.  Inside were two gorgeous unicorn mares.  Their coats sparkled in the sun, a white so pure that rainbows danced across the satin hide and their manes and tails were long and flowing like gossamer silk.  They had large violet eyes and their horns were pearlescent spirals.  Beside them trotted beautiful golden foals, their coats were the color of honey and they had lighter colored manes and tails and their horns were small nubs. But their eyes were large and liquid, filled with the innocence only a newborn could know.

"Oh!" was all Holly could manage, and for some reason she felt tears prick her eyes.

Harry too was affected that way, blinking rapidly.  "Wow! They really are something."

"Pretty, aren't they?" Hagrid smiled.  "They were born jus' last month an' still nursing, though they do like sugar and their mums like a bit of apple.  Here," he handed both children a few lumps of sugar and an apple cut into pieces.  "Go stand jus' inside the gate an' wait t'see what happens."  He carefully unlatched the corral.

Harry and Holly went inside, but then Holly looked back at Hagrid and asked, "Hagrid, why are the babies golden and not white? Aren't all unicorns white?"

"They are when they're grown.  But these are little yet an they're born gold.  Their coats will lighten to pure white when they're six and mature.  Kind of like spots on a fawn."

Holly nodded, that made sense.  Then she stood with her hand outstretched, waiting for a unicorn to approach.  She had a bit of apple on her palm.

Harry glanced over at her and whispered, "Wonder how long it'll be before one comes over to see what we've got?"

The girl shrugged.  "I don't know.  And don't really care.  I could stand here all day." She gazed out at the living breathing magical creatures and felt herself falling in love. 

"I know what you mean," Harry said, and held out sugar on his palm.

Ten minutes passed. Hagrid leaned on the gate, watching the two children with a broad smile on his face. He was impressed that the two youngster displayed such patience.  Some of the older students would not have been able to do so.  Severus had taught them well, the gamekeeper thought.

From further away, just beyond the lawn, a great silver wolf watched as well, panting slightly.  Silver knew he could not get too close to the corral, or else he might spook the unicorns, who were wary of any large predator, but he was pleased as well to see the two having a nice visit on their first day in the castle.

Suddenly, one of the mares quit grazing on the tender spring grass and approached Holly, her hooves making no sound over the grass.  She glided, rather like a dancer, and one moment she was across the corral and the next standing in front of the little girl.

Holly did not move at all, remaining frozen as the mare lowered her head and breathed softly on her palm, her horn nearly touching the top of the girl's head. Come on, beautiful one! Take the apple! Take it! She urged silently, and then the mare did.

Her muzzle brushed Holly's palm, like the fluttering of butterfly wings, and the apple vanished down the mare's throat.  Then the unicorn bobbed her head in thanks, and blew upon the girl.

Holly inhaled the sweet breath, it was fragrant with apples, and smiled.  "You're welcome, my lady.  May I . . .touch you?"

This time the unicorn laid her nose in Holly's palm and allowed her to stroke the silken white skin.  Holly brushed only the tips of her fingers down the unicorn's face, afraid that somehow her touch might sully the brilliant creature.  "I can't believe it.  I'm really petting a unicorn!" she murmured, awestruck.

Next to her, Harry was petting the mare's little filly, who was slurping the sugar off his palm greedily and then sucking his fingers.  "Hey, that tickles!" he giggled, reaching out to stroke the fuzzy mane which stood straight up like bristles. 

The foal butted him impatiently and squealed, wanting more sugar.  Harry dug into a pocket and held out the other lump.  "Here you go.  Guess you like sweets as much as Professor Dumbledore and I do." He scratched the baby unicorn behind the ears and the little one sighed happily, crunched the sugar cube, and leaned into the boy's chest.

Harry cradled the filly's head to him and grinned, her coat was like velvet and she smelled like primroses.  "You're a beauty, you are.  You smell so good, like a spring breeze." Then he thought of something.  "Hagrid, do the unicorns have names?"

"Ah, the mares do.  The one you're petting, Holly is called Mist Dancer, on account she's so graceful.  The other one is Moonlight Duchess, cause she's a proud one.  But the babies I haven't named yet.  Would ya like to help me out?"

"Yes, please." Holly said softly.

"Sure, Hagrid," agreed Harry. 

"All righ'.  You each name one."

Harry continued petting the filly, chewing his lower lip.  The filly reminded him of a bouquet of fresh flowers, sweet and pretty.  "Uh . . .how about . . .Primrose Bouquet?  She smells like primroses. Or does that sound stupid?"

"That's a good name, Harry." Holly said.   

"Aye, I like it.  She's a sweet little lass," agreed Hagrid.

Dancer lifted her head and neighed in approval. And thus the filly was called Primrose Bouquet, Rose for short.

Holly was still stroking Dancer when Duchess trotted over to inspect the children and her filly followed. 

Duchess nudged the other mare aside and stood looking imperiously down at Holly, then she too blew in the girl's face and allowed her to stroke her mane and along her muzzle. 

"You're a fine lady, aren't you?" Holly observed. She fed Duchess an apple as well.

Then the small filly came and nuzzled her for sugar, and Holly obliged.  The sugar was taken daintily from her hand, but then the foal lingered and Holly scratched behind her ears like Harry had done.  "I think . . .I think . . .I'd name you . . .Moonsilver Magic.  Lady Moonsilver Magic, because your mum's a duchess," Holly corrected, and the proud mare nodded her head and whickered in agreement.

"That's a terrific name, Holl." Harry said, and gave her a thumbs up sign.  Then he went back to petting Rose.

There came a loud cough from behind them, and Hagrid turned to see who it was.  "Ah, good afternoon, Professor Throckmorton.  What can I do for ya?"

The Defense teacher pursed his lips and glared over the fence at the two children.  "Is it school policy now to allow . . .a child like that to touch unicorns?" he pointed at Holly, his mouth curling in distaste.

"Aw, they ain't doin' no ‘arm, sir.  The mares like youngsters, y'know.  Specially the girls." Hagrid said, a bit puzzled.  "Why? What's wrong with Holly?"

Throckmorton arched an eyebrow in disbelief.  Then he leaned in and whispered, "You mean you don't know? She's a Squib.  A magicless freak who should not even be allowed here, in my opinion."

Hagrid stiffened, he did not particularly like the Defense professor.  "That's not for you t'say, Professor.  Now, was there something I can help ya with?"

"Yes, I need several doxies, I am doing a unit with them for my third-years," Throckmorton said haughtily.

"Not a problem, sir.  How many do you need?"

"About two dozen, I think."

"An' make sure you've got plenty of Doxycide and antivenom too," Hagrid offered helpfully.  "Them doxies pack a nasty bite an' you wouldn't want  a student to get badly hurt."

"I'll thank you not to tell me how to conduct my lessons, Hagrid," said the other wizard stiffly.  Then he asked through gritted teeth,"Where might I obtain some anti-venom and such?"

"Oh, just ask Professor Snape.  He keeps a store of potions and stuff in his lab."

Throckmorton looked less than pleased, but said nothing, instead scowling at Holly.  "Allowing a Squib to take such liberties with a unicorn! Outrageous!"

He had meant to say that under his breath, but it came out louder than he intended and Holly and Harry could not help overhearing it.

Holly hung her head, all of the old inadequate feelings welling up within her.  Even here, she did not fit in, and all of her joy in the unicorns evaporated like frost in the sunshine.    She immediately quit petting Magic.

Harry eyed Holly in concern, seeing how her face had turned red in embarrassment and she was looking down at the ground and he spun around and glared daggers at the teacher.  Severus had taught him to be polite and mannerly to adults, but this one had just insulted his sister for no reason and Harry was furious.  "Don't you talk that way about my sister!" he cried.  "She's got as much right to be here as you do, mister!"

Throckmorton looked down his nose and drawled icily, "You have some nerve, addressing me thus, boy.  Do you know who I am?"

"No, and I don't care," Harry replied insolently.

"I am Professor Throckmorton and you are dangerously close to getting a detention Mr.-?"

"Snape," Harry supplied.  "You can't give me detention, I'm not a student here yet."

"I should have known.  Only a relation of the Potions professor would have such ill manners and insolence.  Like father, like son," sneered Throckmorton, and he reached over the fence to grab Harry's ear.  "Well, I don't put up with that impudent behavior from any child, professor's son or no.  You need a good lesson in manners, boy, and I'm going to give you one you'll not soon forget." His hand almost closed upon Harry's ear.

A terrible growl came from behind him.

Throckmorton froze, the blood surging in his veins, at the menacing sound, hardly daring to turn around.

He came face to face with a gigantic silver wolf, who was snarling angrily.

"Name of Merlin! Where did that creature come from?" he cried, reaching for his wand.

"That's Harry's wolf-dog, Silver," Hagrid answered.  "Best watch yerself, sir, he don' take kindly to anyone layin' a hand on his family."

Silver continued to growl, all his fur standing up. 

Throckmorton backed up, he was secretly terrified of dogs, having been bitten badly by a husky when he was a small child.  "Call it off, damn you! Before I hex it."

"You hurt Silver and my dad will use you for potion ingredients," yelled Harry.

"Mind your own business, you infernal whelp!" snapped the Defense teacher, and he started to climb into the corral.

Only to find that the two mares were not willing to allow him entry.

They had nudged their foals and the two children behind them and stood with heads lowered and horns out, in front of them, and they snorted warningly.

Throckmorton, no fool, recognized an attack stance and looked up at Hagrid, shocked.  "What's wrong with them?  Unicorns never attack wizards."

"Unless they feel threatened, Professor. An' you threatened to hurt a child.  They don' take kindly to that at all, sir."

Throckmorton carefully put a foot on the ground, and Duchess half-reared and shrilled angrily, stamping a hoof and tossing her horn in warning.  The wizard backed up, for Dancer was also neighing angrily and advancing on him, horn lowered, and pointed right at his midsection.

Throckmorton gulped, there was nothing docile or gentle about the unicorns now.

"I'd get outta there if I were you, sir.  They don't seem t'like you for some reason," remarked Hagrid, trying not to laugh.

"B-but what about that dog?" sputtered Throckmorton, panicking. 

Silver growled again, looking as if he would like to make mincemeat out of the teacher. 

"Call it off, I tell you! Right now!" ordered the wizard.

"Can't do that, sir.  He only listens to Professor Snape an' Harry."

"You-boy! Call this beast off this instant.  Before I report it to the Society for Dangerous Creatures."

"Silver's not a dangerous creature, just mad at you," Harry said from behind the shield of unicorns.  "He won't bite unless you hurt one of us."

"Call it off, I say!"

"Will you apologize to my sister?" bargained Harry, greatly daring.

Throckmorton nearly had a seizure.  The sheer cheek of the boy! Oh, how he wished he had five minutes alone with the rotten little brat and a switch, so he could teach the boy the error of his ways.  But Hogwarts did not allow corporal punishment like Durmstrang, he thought balefully.  He shuddered as the beast bared his teeth at him.  Feeling himself start to shake, he cried, "Fine! I apologize.  Now tell this . . .wolf or whatever to leave me be!"

Harry smirked.  "Okay.  Silver! Stand down, boy."

Silver whuffed, then obediently backed off and sat down in the grass a few feet away, still eyeing Throckmorton like a juicy piece of meat. 

The Defense teacher quickly climbed back over the fence and swiftly departed, muttering balefully under his breath, his red robes swishing about his ankles. 

"Huh! Good riddance!" muttered Hagrid.  "He's got some attitude problems, he does."

"Who is he, Hagrid?" Harry asked, coming out from behind the wall of unicorns.

"Professor Victor Throckmorton, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.  He's originally from Durmstrang, an' I guess they do things different over there.  He ain't one to cross, Harry, so best you an' Holly stay away from him, y'hear?"

"Yes, I hear you," Harry said, and beckoned Holly to him. 

She came and leaned against his shoulder.  "I'm sorry, Harry."

"For what?"

"Ruining your good time."

"You didn't ruin anything, that idiot Pockmuckle did," Harry said, putting an arm around her. 

"But you might get in trouble for defending me."

"I didn't hit him and he started it.  Hagrid was a witness."

"That's right.  Listen to me, lass.  You ain't to blame fer the attitudes o' some people.  Some people are jus' plain stupid an' cruel, even if they have a fancy degree an' all.  Take that there Throckmorton.  He's from the old school, thinking that Squibs an' Muggleborns are beneath ‘im.  But he sure learned different when Dancer and Duchess threatened him, eh? A unicorn's one of the best judges o' character I know, they can tell who's good an' who's not, lass.  An as you saw for yerself, they think you're worthy of bein' a friend of theirs, Holly, an' not many people can say that, wizard or otherwise."

 "Really, Hagrid?" Holly stared at him. 

"Unicorns don't lie, lass." Hagrid said, and beckoned them out of the corral.  He patted Holly clumsily on the shoulder.  "You're always welcome here, lass.  You and your brother. Right, ladies?"

All the unicorns neighed, then they tossed their heads and returned to grazing and playing. 

"Thank you," Holly called, and a warm glow spread through her.  Guess it's like Healer Sue says, you got to take the good with the bad.

Harry knelt and hugged Silver.  "Thanks for sticking up for us, boy.  You're a good wolf-dog."

Silver gave a soft bark and licked Harry's face.

* * * * * *

When they told Severus later on that night of their afternoon adventure, he was furious-with Throckmorton.  "I wish I had known of this before he came to me and asked me for some of my potions supplies," the Potions Master grumbled.  "I'd have told him to go brew his own, the insufferable ass!"

Harry snickered.

"Don't provoke him, but if he approaches you again, Harry or Holly, walk away and come find me.  I'm usually in my classroom all day, or here in my lab, so don't hesitate to come in.  He won't follow you down here.  I will definitely have another talk with him," he said grimly.  "Stay together, you two, and keep Silver near you as well, if possible." He turned to Holly.  "Holly, if anyone starts harassing you among the students, I want you to find a teacher immediately.  They will help you, all except Throckmorton, that is.  If you can't find a teacher, call Silver.  He should be enough to intimidate any student. I don't want you to be afraid here, I want you to think of this as your home for the term, and I will do my best to make you feel safe here.  The students all know that you are my ward, I told them this afternoon, and they shouldn't bully you, and I will deal with Throckmorton."

"Yeah, kick his backside, Dad," Harry said.

"You leave Throckmorton to me, son.  Promise me you will not antagonize him, Harry."

"I promise," Harry said quickly, for Throckmorton gave him the creeps, and he knew he was no match for the older man. 

Just then there was a knock on the door.  "That will be the Headmaster, come to visit," Severus announced, and waved a hand at the door.

It opened to reveal Albus in his favorite purple moon and stars robe, his beard neatly bound by a silver cord, his blue eyes twinkling merrily.  "Good evening, Severus.  I trust your first classes of the term went well."

"As well as could be expected.  No one exploded any cauldrons," replied the Potions Master.  "Of course, that's because I didn't have first years today.  Tomorrow might be a different story."

"Never a dull moment in potions," Albus remarked, stepping into the room.  "Welcome back, Harry, my boy." He greeted Harry, beaming down on him.  "Looks like you get to start school a bit early."

"Hello, Professor Dumbledore.  Dad says it's good to get a head start."

"Yes, he's quite right, my boy.  I'm sure you will be at the top of your classes, like your father was when he attended here." Then he turned to Holly, who had been standing off to one side, uncertain of what to expect from this new adult wizard.  "And you must be Severus' daughter, Holly, is that right?"

"I . . ." Holly looked up at Severus, uncertain.

"It's all right, little one.  Albus knows who you are and how someday I intend to adopt you."

"Oh.  Then yes, sir, my name is Holly and I'm Severus' foster daughter." She gave the old wizard a tentative smile.

Albus reached out a hand and smiled at her.  "Welcome, little one, to Hogwarts.  I hope that you find your stay here a pleasant one."  Severus was right.  There is very little of her father in her, save in her physical aspect.  The rest . . .she truly is an innocent, I can see it in her eyes.  She reminds me of Felicia. He had tried to avoid comparing any young student of his to his deceased daughter over the years, for such would only bring him pain.  She had died too soon, she had only been nine.  He felt the same feelings of protectiveness for this child as he had for his own.  "Have you seen the unicorn foals yet?"

"Yes, sir.  Hagrid showed them to us first thing," Holly said.

"We were having  a great time, we even got to name them," Harry related, following Dumbledore to the sofa in the living area.  "Until that mean Professor Throckmorton showed up and said Holly ought to keep away from the unicorns."

Dumbledore frowned.  "Why?"

"Because I'm a Squib and shouldn't be allowed here," Holly answered. "He said Squibs shouldn't be allowed to touch a unicorn, that it was outrageous."

For the first time in a long time, Severus saw his old mentor become angry.  The old man drew himself up and his blue eyes flashed chained lightning and he said in a soft cold voice, "He said that, did he? After my discussion with him? It would seem he needs a more pointed reminder of who is in charge in this school."

Severus concealed a smirk.  Throckmorton, you fool.  You have cooked your own goose.  It is never wise to anger one such as Albus Dumbledore.  He may have a slow fuse, but once it is lit, it can cause destruction in an eyeblink.  But you shall learn that to your sorrow. Severus settled down in his recliner, and summoned a house elf to bring them some tea, hot cocoa, and shortbread from the kitchens.

"But Dad's gonna kick his backside," Harry put in, and Severus sighed.

"Harry-"

"What? It's true, and he deserves it," his son said bluntly.

"You may have to stand in line, Severus." The Headmaster remarked, and his eyes glittered.  Albus turned to the children and said, "Pay no attention to him, he is full of hot air and babbles nonsense.  You are my guest and a family member of one of my staff, Holly, and as such Hogwarts is always open to you.  You are not the first Squib to walk these halls."

 "I'm not?"

"No, there have been others.  One is still among us, his name is Argus Filch and he has been steward of this castle for some fifty-odd years, I believe." Dumbledore said.  "The most he can do with his magic is light a candle.  Well, that and bond with his familiar, a striped cat named Mrs. Norris."

"All I can do is see in fire," Holly admitted.

"A Seer? That is a rare gift.  How many times have you predicted true, child?"

"Only once so far, sir.  I Saw Severus and Harry rescue me from the snow."

"A very useful gift. And now, let us have some shortbread and tea," said the old wizard, as a house elf appeared with a pop with a silver serving tray.

They spent the rest of the evening companionably, discussing new class schedules, the latest Quidditch final, since Harry was a Quidditch fanatic, various magical creatures, and experimental potions until Albus declared he must be going.  "These old bones aren't what they used to be, and I'm afraid I need my rest."

"it was good of you to visit, Albus." Severus said cordially.  "Bid the Headmaster good evening, children."

The two obeyed, and Dumbledore held out his arms for a hug.  Harry went to him immediately, and the Headmaster whispered, "If you need anything or want to find some sweets, the password to my office is Strawberry Shortcake."

"Okay, sir.  Thanks."

Then the old man tucked a handkerchief into Harry's pocket.  "For later. Don't tell your father."

Harry hid a grin.  Dumbledore was forever sneaking him forbidden sweets. 

Then he stepped back and Holly found herself being enfolded in the old wizard's robe gently.  "Good night, Holly." He also told her the password, and slipped her a handkerchief as well. 

"Thank you, sir."

Then he bid the Potions Master good evening and departed, smirking like a naughty schoolboy.  You made me promise no Fizzing Whizzbees Severus, but you never said I couldn't give them handkerchiefs.  And if I happened to forget that they had Chocolate Frogs inside them, ah well, when you're three-hundred and fifty-two, you tend to overlook things.  Except there was one thing he would not overlook, and that was Throckmorton.  His smirk vanished abruptly and he strode down the corridor with a stern look on his face that would have sent a Death Eater fleeing for cover.  When he had become Headmaster he had vowed that the school would be a haven for those who had no other home, like Squibs and blood traitors and he would not be foresworn.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you all enjoyed this one.

I decided to do a different take on Dumbledore here. How did you like the unicorns?

Next: Holly meets Mrs. Norris and Filch while looking for Harry.