Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6: Hogwarts Infirmary

 

"Yes, I noticed it right after I finished shrinking the robes," said Madam Pomfrey, frowning as she and Severus searched the storeroom for various potions and salves. "I had to shrink them quite a bit to make them fit the boy. He is very small for his age."

"What do you think?" Severus asked while lending a hand.

"You know as well as I do what those signs point to," Pomfrey replied somberly. "His weight, the malnutrition and the bruises."

The potions master nodded. Great, now he couldn't even deny that his instincts were wrong, now that the diagnostic was finished.

Neither witch nor wizarda spoke for awhile as the gravity of the revelation grew on them. The only sound came from the soft clattering of glass vials as they were shifted and collected from the shelves. Then Madam Pomfrey spoke.

"We will have to speak to the child and get some answers."

Severus nodded. "Indeed."

"And if the child is indeed being mistreated…"

"Then he cannot be returned to those Muggles," Severus finished.

Madam Pomfrey nodded sadly. "Ai. And charges need to be pressed. The Muggles cannot get away with what they've done. Child abuse is a hideous thing."

"I agree," Severus nodded. He frowned as a thought came to him. The main reason Harry had been left with the Muggles was because the headmaster believed he was safe there. Petunia had Lily's blood, being her sister and all. And blood magic kept Harry safe from those wizards with malicious intent. If removed from his aunt's home, Harry would be vulnerable to attack. Dumbledore does care for Potter, a lot, but if it came down to the boy's life versus his happiness…well, there was no competition. The stubborn old headmaster may or may not consent to Harry's removal from his Muggle home, abuse or no.

"What about the blood protection?"

"Damn the blood protection. I will not allow Harry grow up abused and neglected," said the healer with conviction. "Blood protection indeed! The poor boy is not even safe from his blood relatives."

"If Albus agrees to all this, that is. You know how stubborn he can be," said Severus.

"After he sees my report he will," said Pomfrey, knowing immediately what Severus was talking about. "I know that Albus wants what is the best for Harry. The blood wards may protect his life, but there are other ways to ensure his safety…and happiness at the same time. And if he doesn't agree he'll have me to answer to."

Severus chuckled once, it was one of those half snort half chuckles (Severus really didn't know any other kind of chuckles). Madam Pomfrey was the kind of woman that spoke her mind and was not afraid to tell Albus off.

"Then another guardian must be found?" the potions master questioned. "Not that that'll be hard. The entire world will be clamoring after Potter once they find out. I'm sure we'll find somebody to take the brat."

"More than safe, Severus, happy."

Safe and happy, Severus though, easier said than done.

Then there was the second problem; where would they find an individual or family to take Potter in? The whole thing was more complicated than you'd think. They had to Ward the new home, swear in a Secret Keeper and not to mention they had to locate that trustworthy, willing and capable guardian(s) first. But of course, that was the least of their problems; all of this would be difficult enough without the Ministry, media and public getting involved.

"If word of this gets out the Ministry would want custody," Severus noted.

"They won't have him," Madam Pomfrey cried. "Can you imagine what that Millicent Bagnold would do with Harry Potter? The Boy Who Lived? Harry will become propaganda! She'll never escape the publicity. One of the reasons Albus put Harry with the Muggles was to avoid this kind of thing."

"Is there any way of keeping this from the press?"

"I don't know. If we can get the Ministry on our side, the child will never see his name in the paper," said Madam Pomfrey. "But this could be a major opportunity for the Minister to gain public favour. Think, the Boy Who Lived as her own ward…"

"So there is no chance of cooperation from Bagnold?"

"I don't think so."

"You are correct, Poppy. However…"

"However?"

"Albus can be quite persuasive. He's known her for quite a few years and they have worked together in the past."

"Yes, that's true."

"Of course, that depends on whether Bagnold knows in the first place."

"Are you saying that we keep this from entirely under wrap?"

"Depends if Albus thinks Bagnold can be trusted to do what is best for Harry," said Severus skeptically. "Call me pessimistic, but I highly doubt Bagnold would give up such an opportunity for herself and her office."

"Right," Pomfrey said as the two made their way out of the storage room. "Speaking of Albus, where is he anyway? Shouldn't he be here also? This is quite the situation we have."

"Albus and Minerva are seeing to Pottery's relatives. They shouldn't be long."

Madam Pomfrey nodded and turned her attention to Harry.

"Harry?"

Harry looked up slightly at his name being called.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Good boy. Now I need you to take these two potions and then I'll put some salve on those bruises of yours."

As the healer tended to Harry, the hospital doors opened and in walked Dumbledore and McGonagall.

Madam Pomfrey looked up. "Albus, Minerva, I'm glad you're back. I'm afraid I have some distressing news."

o0ooOoo0o

"Abuse? You are certain?"

"Of course I am certain," Madam Pomfrey insisted. "The child is malnourished and looking at his injuries, it's obvious that he's been struck several times recently."

"I see," Dumbledore said solemnly.

"Is Harry okay? He's not hurt bad, is he?" McGonagall asked with concern.

"Well, no, they are not too severe. The child has some bruises on his arms and neck—most definitely from a clenching hand, some bruising on his upper thigh and buttocks, a bump on side of his head and some scraps across his knee," the healer recounted. "The malnutrition is what I'm really worried about. Harry is very thin and weighs little more than half of what the smallest child his age should weigh. If I saw the boy on the street, I'd think he was no more than four years old. He'll need daily doses of vitamins and potions for the better half of a year to recover fully and as to stop his growth stunt."

"Oh my." The headmistress covered her mouth.

"That's the least of our worries," Severus stated and they all turned to him. "What do we do with the boy now?"

"Yes, Severus and I have been talking about what best to do with Harry. It's obvious that he cannot return to the abusive home. And charges will certainly need to be pressed against the Muggles for child abuse. But we have a few problems on our hands."

"The Minister," Severus finished.

"Bagnold," McGonagall repeated sourly, understanding immediately.

"Yes. Bagnold. She will definitely file for custody and will get it, do doubt," said Madam Pomfrey.

"Understandable, just think of the publicity she'll get for this," said McGonagall.

"Not to mention she'll take all the credit," Madam Pomfrey added

"The Minister would take credit for bringing the Muggles to justice, you mean?" Severus asked and Pomfrey nodded in confirmation.

"Not that it matters who gets the credit as long as Harry is safe. But the point is that she'll use Harry for his own endeavors—such as taking the credit for saving Harry from further abuse. But she won't end there."

"That woman has an eye for the future, she'll see all possibilities that comes with having Harry Potter under her thumb," Severus added.

"Albus? Don't you think you can convince Bagman to keep this from the press, not to mention try and adopt Harry herself?"

Dumbledore shook his head, also frowning. "I'm not quite sure. You have to remember that both the Minister and her Ministry are looking out for themselves. Even the Wizengamot would see the great benefits Harry would bring them. They too would seek to profit from this."

"So what are we suggesting?" Madam Pomfrey spoke. "That Harry be returned to the Muggles because we can't get Bagnold to comply? That between one abuse and another, that he would be better off with the Muggles?"

"Actually, it's exactly that," Dumbledore said as if it's the simplest thing in the world. "If the abuse is not severe as you say, then it might be best for Harry to remain with his relatives."

"What!" Madam Pomfrey cried out.

"Albus Dumbledore, you can't seriously mean that?" McGonagall said, not quite believing what Dumbledore was suggesting.

"Well…"

Madam Pomfrey stood up. "No, headmaster. I am a healer and I have a responsibility to the welfare my patients. I absolutely forbid it. Harry cannot return to a home where he is abused. Even if I have to adopt him myself."

Severus was angry despite himself. How could Albus even think of sending the boy back? It was true that the abuse as bad as others Severus had witnessed, but abuse was abuse no matter what. And sending a child back to live under such conditions was just plain wrong. It was not like the old wizard not seek out ever option and consider every alternative before coming to a conclusion.

Severus himself won't let that happen. Not that he cared or anything, it was just morals. Yes, contrary to popular belief, he did have morals. Furthermore, Lily's child deserved better. "I must agree with Minerva and Poppy," he told Dumbledore. "Potter will not return to the hands of his abusive family."

Dumbledore looked straight at Severus, delving deep into the potions master's eyes, but it only lasted a moment. But a moment was all it took for Severus to swear on his entire (well, maybe 10%) of his potions store that Albus had…smirked. It was that mischievous smirk the old man had when he had something up his sleeve. Severus did not like that smirk at all, nor that twinkle that glimmered behind his aged eyes.

"There are not many magical families that would over look Harry's last name or use the child to their advantage," Dumbledore continued, seemingly trying to justify his decision. "Harry should be given as normal a childhood as he deserves. Perhaps…"

"A normal childhood, Albus?" McGonagall intercepted. "And is neglect and abuse part of 'normal' childhood?"

"Of course not. I was saying that if I can have another talk with Petunia, alone, perhaps I can get her to…"

"Get her to what Albus? Love the child? Care for him as if he was hers?" the headmistress said forcefully. "You know as well as I how likely that is to happen. That woman hates Harry. She won't change her mind just because you tell her to."

"Harry may not be severely physically abused, but you know that emotional abuse can have bigger ramifications," Madam Pomfrey pointed out. "Harry deserves more than that. That boy…" she said, pointing to Harry, "deserves a caring family and people who loves him!"

Dumbledore put up his hands. "There are questions to be answered yet. We have gone to Petunia and her husband's home and got their side of the story. Now we will need Harry's."

Madam Pomfrey and McGonagall both gave the old wizard their own version of the evil eye.

"Please, nothing has been decided yet, sit down."

The two witches huffed, looked at each other and sat down reluctantly. But their expressions remained firm and said that this conversation was not over by a long shot.

"Incidentally, how were you received?" Severus asked, curious as to how Petunia took to wizards at her door.

"Terribly. That Muggle woman called us 'freaks'."

Severus smirked; he found it amusing to imagine the look on McGonagall's face when they called her that. Minerva may look cool stoic and tough on the inside, but she has the sensitivity of a cat...pun intended. It was really rather easy to offend her.

"Ah, yes, Petunia," Severus recalled. "I remember her, unfortunately, very vividly. Not a very pleasant woman." No, she's nothing like Lily.

"Harry's relatives claimed that the child ran away," said the headmaster.

McGonagall grew suddenly angry as she remembered the Muggles' words. "They also made it very clear that they dislike the boy and do not wish to have him back, even if he was found."

"You do not believe Potter ran? Severus inquired.

"Nothing is positive yet, Severus," said Dumbledore. "We will need Harry to tell us what happened."

All the adults turned to Harry.

o0ooOoo0o

All this time Harry had remained silent; he knew he wasn't supposed to talk when adults were talking. He had a hard time trying to follow what the adults were saying. Harry heard his name brought up several times and thought that they were talking about him. But then everyone kept mentioning this person named Bagnold…and something about adoption. So they weren't talking about him after all? For who would want to adopt him; a horrible, ungrateful liar and a freak to boot?

Harry ducked his head when all of a sudden all eyes were one him. Had he mentioned before how he hated attention? Dudley loved attention because Dudley always had the good kind of attention. But for Harry, attention meant trouble. With so many people looking at him like that, the poor boy believed the worst.

Dumbledore looked at Harry through his half moon glasses and spoke kindly. "Harry, my boy, how are you feeling?"

"Fine, sir," Harry muttered tentatively, his head bowed.

"Don't be frightened, it's alright."

Harry remained silent and nibbled the insides of his lip.

"Can you tell me why you were where Severus found you?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know," he mumbled so quietly that no one understood.

"Come Harry, it's alright. Just tell us what happened. Can you do that?"

"Um…"

"Potter." Severus snapped.

Harry cringed a little.

"Yes, sir?"

"Answer the headmaster this instant."

Harry bit his lip. Just tell them what happened and get it over with. Hurry up or they'll get mad. He didn't want to talk about it—how he got lost and all—fearing that they'd yell at him and call him stupid. But it was an order and he couldn't disobey. "Yes, sir.," Harry muttered. "I…I kind of got lost."

"How, boy?"

"Um…Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon took me and Dudley to the park yesterday. And I was really surprised 'cause they never ever took me to the park with them…" The little boy continued with his tale and by the time he got to the being lost part, he was trying hard not to cry. "…then I noticed that Uncle Vernon wasn't on there anymore. And Aunt Petunia wasn't sitting at the bench either. So I started to panic. I looked everywhere. But I couldn't find them..."

I'm not going to cry, I'm not going to cry. Big boys didn't cry, besides, that's a big rule at home and it could be a rule here as well. You're already in more trouble than you've ever been! Don't get yourself in deeper by crying! Sniffling a bit and blinking back his tears, Harry went on. "…and then it was dark, and all the other kids went home and I was all alone. Then I got really, really scared and I tried to find the house. But then I got lost and tried to get back to the playground…but I couldn't find that either…then I…"

"Enough," Severus intercepted. Harry immediately went silent. "Let me guess, you brilliance somehow carried you to a dark, hidden alley and you so cleverly decided to stay behind a dumpster all night?"

"Um…I guess."

"Idiot."

Harry flushed red, embarrassed. It had seemed like an okay idea at the time; he'd been scared…he was still scared…but only a little bit because boys don't get scared.

"Severus!" McGonagall and Pomfrey admonished at the same time.

Severus rolled his eyes.

"Is that how you became lost child?" Dumbledore asked.

Harry nodded wordlessly.

"Harry, can you tell Poppy where you got those bruises?" Pomfrey asked softly.

The boy bit his lip, knowing he wasn't to tell anyone how his aunt and uncle hit him.

"Potter," Severus began unyieldingly. "I believe Madam Pomfrey asked you a question. I expect you to answer her."

Harry continued to stare at his feet,

Madam Pomfrey took pity on Harry and said. "It's okay, Harry, you don't have to right now…"

But Severus wasn't having it. "No, the sooner we get this over with the better. Answer the question."

"I…I fell," Harry lied, "…by accident."

Severus narrowed his eyes. "The truth, Potter. Where did you get the bruises on your arm and neck, on your legs?"

Harry mumbled something illegible.

"Speak up, boy and stop staring at your feet!" The potions master reached out and hooked a finger under Harry's chin, forcing the boy to look up. "Look at me when I am speaking to you."

"I'm not supposed to tell."

"Did someone hit you?"

Harry bit his lip and shrugged. Severus took that as a yes.

"Who? Your uncle? Your aunt?"

Harry once again just shrugged.

Severus did not relent. "Was it your aunt?"

Harry shook his head.

"Your uncle then?"

Harry nodded in confirmation. "I deserve it though. I was bad," he added quickly.

"What did he hit you with?"

"Just his hand."

"You said you were bad? What did you do to deserve the punishment?"

Harry shrugged.

"Stop shrugging and answer my questions," Severus snapped; Potter was corroding his patience to a dangerous level.

"I took an apple from the kitchen okay! I didn't mean to, I was just hungry," Harry cried, desperately blinking back his tears.

"Why would…" Severus trailed off. He glowered in anger that was not directed at Harry. "Your uncle beat you because you stole an apple from the kitchen?"

"He didn't beat me! He just hit me a few times…" Harry corrected hurriedly. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia had warned him not to tell a soul. It was so embarrassing too; he didn't want anyone to know how bad he was. "And I didn't steal it…exactly. I was just…hungry, that's all."

The atmosphere was heavy and somber when Harry said that. The three adults looked at each other as the significance of what Harry said were realized. If Harry's relatives punished him for eating an apple…what other horrible things did they do?

"Harry, how often does your uncle hit you?" McGonagall asked.

"Only when I'm bad." Harry answered evadingly, bowing his head again.

"And how often are you 'bad'?"

Harry sucked his lips inside his mouth. He was bad a lot, though his relatives didn't hit him every time he was bad. They only did it when he'd done something really awful—like take food, or upset Dudley, or did something weird. Harry felt ashamed to answer the question. He really did try to be good, though he had little success. According to his aunt and uncle he was born rotten and that it was something called 'genetics'; that means his mom and dad were bad too.

"I try to be good honest! Don't be mad, please."

Severus rolled his eyes; children were such idiots. "Potter, we did not say you were bad. We asked you how often you are bad enough to render such punishment."

"Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia only hits me when they get really, really angry. Like once every couple of weeks or so. Most of the time, I just get my cupboard and no meals."

"Your cupboard, Harry?" McGonagall asked, frowning.

"Yea, the cupboard under the stairs," Harry told them. "When I'm bad I have to go to my cupboard, and I can't come out until I'm told. They even put a lock on to make sure I don't sneak out at night. It's only for a few days though." The little boy liked his cupboard sometimes and hated it other times. He hated it when had to stay in it for days at a time; it was dark and cramped and boring. Other times, he felt safe in there; nobody bothered him when he was in his cupboard. The cupboard was one of the few things that was his, it was his own little room and Harry created his own little world inside.