Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7: A new Home

McGonagall gasped, Madam Pomfrey put her hands over her mouth and Dumbledore looked both enraged and saddened at the same time.

Severus’ face darkened. They had locked the child in a cupboard! For days! What kind of people locked children in cupboards? His own father used to lock him in his room for sunrise to sundown, but that was one thing…this, this was monstrous.

“They lock you in the cupboard?” The deputy headmistress exclaimed in disbelief.

“For days on end?” Madam Pomfrey finished.

“Aunt Petunia lets me out twice a day to go to the bathroom,” Harry explained. “and I have to drink so much water from the tap so that I don’t feel thirsty or hungry. The only bad thing is that drinking so much makes me want to go again and I have to beg Aunt Petunia to let me out again, or else…you know.” Harry flushed furiously. He couldn’t believe what he just said…it was so embarrassing. It was true though, when you had to go, you had to go; both he and his Aunt Petunia learned that the hard way.

Harry remembered a few months ago when he had to stay in the cupboard for three days for breaking the expensive china. Aunt Petunia had refused to let him out of the cupboard no matter how he begged her. She gave him soup the previous night and well…he really had to go but she just yelled at him to hold it in. Then he did the unthinkable…he peed in his pants. Aunt Petunia was furious, more so than she’d gotten in a long time. She had hit him that time and when she told Uncle Vernon what the freak did, he had hit him too.

“What do you mean by ‘no meals’ child?” Dumbledore finally broke his silence and spoke, quoting Harry from before.

“Oh, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon say that bad boys don’t get to eat. So when I’m bad, I get no meals for a day or two.”

“A day or two!” Madam Pomfrey looked scandalized, she couldn’t imagine a growing boy like Harry not eating for two days. Denying a child food was outrageous, cruel, an entirely barbaric thing to do!

“Harry, much do you get to eat when you’re not being punished?”

“I eat once a day and get whatever’s left over when Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon and Dudley finish eating.”

“They only fed you once a day, Potter?” Severus asked frowning. No wonder the brat is so scrawny. Severus knew what kind of person Petunia was, but he’d never think they’d starve a child as punishment. Heck, you couldn’t starve an animal for a day or two without being inhuman, let alone a human boy.

“Yes, sir,” Harry nodded but added quickly. “But if I’m lucky, they’ll let me have some old food.”

“They give you spoiled food?”

“They haven’t really gone bad, they’re just old that’s all. When I get really hungry, I sometimes have to sneak some unwanted food and hide it in my cupboard. But I got caught last time and Uncle Vernon hit me,” said Harry, sounding dejected as he fumbled the front of his robes.

“One time I didn’t get caught and I found a piece of pie in the garbage,” the boy perked out of the blue. “And it hadn’t spoiled at all because Aunt Petunia just made it the day before. But she said pies are too good for a freak like me and threw it away. I had to be really sneaky and quiet, and I almost got caught too--but I got it and it was the best thing I ever had!” Harry finished, sounding sufficiently proud of himself. The six year old did feel bad nicking, but a part of him felt good that he’d managed to outsmart his aunt and uncle.

“Really?” Severus drawled sarcastically, using it to hide his emotions. Petunia had her own nephew eating out of the garbage? Lily’s child had taken garbage from the garbage like some homeless street-rat? It was too much to take in. Severus clenched his hands, feeling more furious by every fact Harry revealed.

“Uh huh. It’s not really stealing when it’s unwanted and thrown away, sir.” Harry affirmed, smiling and oblivious to the sarcasm.

In the mean time, Madam Pomfrey looked like she was about to cry. “Oh Harry.” She reached out, feeling the need to comfort him. But Harry flinched and shied away from her, his face nervous again. The healer sighed sadly and withdrew her hand.

No one noticed McGonagall until suddenly stood in her chair and burst out in fury. “WHAT? THAT IS IT!” she shouted, pulling out her wand. “Let me at them, Albus, let me at them! I swear, by the time I’m finished with those people, they won’t have a taste bud left, much less a stomach!”

Harry cowered away from the furious witch. He hated when people shouted. Uncle Vernon boomed while Aunt Petunia shrieked, but neither sound brought good news.

“Calm down, you crazy cat!” Severus berated.

McGonagall didn’t hear him as she continued in a loud, fiercely manner, “They won’t get away with this!”

And she says I need anger management. Bloody woman! “Who said anything about that? Now will you lower your voice, you’re scaring Potter.”

“I’m not scared.” Harry said bravely, even though he was shaken by McGonagall’s outburst.

“Minerva, do not be rash,” said the headmaster. “I can assure you that Mr. and Mrs. Dursley will get the justice they deserve.”

McGonagall took a deep breath and pursed her lips before sitting down. She turned to Harry. “I’m not going to hurt you child. Nobody will hurt you again. You’re okay.”

Harry just nodded untrustingly.

The headmaster suddenly shifted from his seat and went down to Harry’s level. “I am very sorry Harry,” he began to say. “I believed you would be happy there, growing up in a normal life, until you were ready.”

Harry looked at the old headmaster. The six year old had no idea what Dumbledore was talking about. He looks sad. Harry thought. I wonder why he looks so sad. And why is he apologizing to me?

“And there is the blood protection of course, but had I known what was happening…I never believed Petunia would stoop to that level.”

“Sir?”

The old wizard let out a tired breathe. “You deserve so much more, Harry.”

Harry looked at man in front of him perplexed and confused. He deserved? But he didn’t deserve anything; he was ungrateful, and bad, and not normal. And he was an orphan and a burden and…and, well nothing good. He did not deserve anything.

“Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon say that I’m a burden, and that I should be grateful I get anything at all.”

“That is not true, Harry. Do not believe a word of it.”

“But I’m an orphan, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon say…”

Severus scoffed, crossing his arms. “You aunt and uncle are idiots, Potter.”

Harry gasped and nearly giggled. He’d never heard anyone called his aunt and uncle idiots.

“But...”

“No buts, Potter.”

“Every child deserves a full belly, everyday,” said the headmistress.

Harry frowned. “But I am not a normal child, I’m a freak. Freaks mustn’t get normal food.”

“Harry, you are not a freak.”

“Am,” the boy insisted. “Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon say so.”

“They are wrong,” said Dumbledore. “You, Harry, are a very special child.”

“I make weird things happen. And I always do and say the wrong things. And I can never do my chores right or get them done on time. And I always make Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon shout. Dudley is a good boy, everybody likes Dudley. He’s not a freak,” Harry finished dejectedly, looking to the side and pouting.

“Potter! Eyes on me,” Severus said very sternly. Who could blame the child for having such low self-confidence and opinion of himself? Why with the kind of upbringing Potter had, it’s a wonder the child was as emotionally stable as he is. Severus couldn’t imagine Lily’s reaction to her child referring to himself as a freak.

Harry gulped, afraid of what would happen if he disobeyed the temperamental man.

Severus leaned over, looking extremely menacing to the small boy. “Do not let me hear you say that word again. Is that clear?” He said in a low voice and very firmly.

Harry flinched looking at the potions master with wide eyes. “Yes sir.”

“You are not a freak. The strange things you refer to are called ‘accidental magic’.”

Harry cocked his head. “What?”

“Accidental magic, Potter.” Severs repeated.

“But…ma…that’s not real,” Harry stuttered. He had almost said the m word, the really bad word. “Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon say that there is no such thing.”

“No such thing as Magic? Why, Harry, of course there is magic,” said McGonagall.

Harry gasped when McGonagall said the word again. He shook his head frantically back and forth. It couldn’t be! Magic was not real, not real, not real! Magic was bad; bad bad bad.

“I assure you, child, that magic is as real as you and I,” said Dumbledore.

“But…” Harry began. Magic couldn’t be real; he’d known that since forever. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon were avid about that fact and kindly reminded of him of it ever so often. They instilled in him that magic was evil and bad, and that he was a freak for liking it, just like his mom and dad. But Harry didn’t like magic; at least he didn’t think so.

“You’re parents were magical, Harry.”

“Huh?”

“And that makes you a wizard.”

“A wizard? But…I’m not a wizard. I…”

“You are a wizard, Potter,” Severus interrupted. “and he sooner you accept the fact the better.”

“Me? But I’m just Harry. I can’t be a…a wizard!” Harry exclaimed. “Wizards are bad! I don’t want to be a wizard.”

“Wizards are not ‘bad’,” the potions master sneered, “and you are one whether you like it or not.”

“But…but…” Harry’s lips trembled.

Dumbledore smiled patiently. “You know when you make strange things happen?”

Harry ducked his head again, feeling ashamed for it.

“That is called accidental magic. It is quite normal, happens to every young witch and wizard.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t understand.”Harry muttered.

“Don’t worry, Harry,” said McGonagall. “You’ll learn all about magic once we get you settled down.”

Harry frowned as he looked down into his lap. Magic was bad and these strangers were talking about it. Even the nice man in black was talking about it. Did that make them bad people? Were they abnormal just like him? Did he want to stay here with people like him? Or did he want to be normal like his relatives?

One the one hand, he hate this unfamiliar place and these unfamiliar people. One the other hand, the longer he stayed here, the longer he put off seeing them. Because if they sent him home, he’d have face Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia and boy, were they going to give it to him. Still, if he were home, at least he knows what to expect from his aunt and uncle. Aunt Petunia would scream and pinch his ear and Uncle Vernon would hit him. Then he would be shoved into his cupboard, and he’d be lucky if he didn’t bump his head where it still hurt, which always happened when they shoved too hard.

In the end, familiarity won. There was no way of knowing what these strangers were capable of. The man called Severus looked like he could hit just as hard, if not harder than Uncle Vernon and had a temper to match. Suddenly, he was very scared.

“I want to go home!” Harry cried. “Please?”

“Nonsense, Harry” McGonagall began softly. “You won’t be going back to those Muggles or my name isn’t Minerva McGonagall.”

Harry’s eyes widened “What? But…but…I’m sorry. I’m sorry please, please don’t! I’ll be so good, I promise. I’ll try real hard. Please don’t send me to the orphanage, please!” The boy sobbed.

“Potter! Stop it at once.”

But Harry only latched onto Severus’ arm and pleaded. “Please, sir. Don’t let them take me, please? I’ll be a good boy.”

“Potter. You are not going to the orphanage.”

Harry sniffed. “Really? I’m not going to an orphanage?”

“Of course not.”

“Cross your heart and hope to die?”

“Harry?” McGonagall looked lost, having never heard the Muggle expression before.

“Muggle expression, Minerva,” Albus salvaged, smiling at Harry. “Yes, Harry. We all cross our hearts, and hope to die. Isn’t that right, Severus?”

“Humph,” Severus grunted, obviously not agreeing. All he could think of was how seriously moronic the saying was; why would anyone hope to die?

When Harry calmed down enough to rub his eyes he asked. “But…then, where am I going?”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled as he told Harry the good news. “We, Harry, are going to find you a new home.”

Harry stared at the old wizard dumbfounded. Again he could not believe his own ears; had he heard right? He had always wanted a new home. Harry could have jumped up and down, he could have bounced off the walls with joy, why he could have…he could have laughed.

But then a horrible thought came to the boy; what if nobody wanted him? What if his new family hated him too? What if the Dursleys were right and he was incapable of being loved or like by anyone? And that the only reason these strangers were sort of nice was because they didn’t know how bad he really was. And ones they found out, he would be in so much trouble.

The child turned to Severus with his big green eyes. “A new home?”

Severus met Harry’s gaze. Once again he was surprised the boy had turned to him of all people for reassurance. “Correct.”

“But…why?”

“Because your aunt and uncle are idiots, that’s why and are unfit to look after you. A new family will be found.”

Harry looked at Severus in awe. The man called his relatives idiots again and promised him a whole new family. “Really sir, a new family…for me?”

“Yes, Potter. Is that not what I just said?”

Harry could not help it as a big grin appeared on his face; it was a genuine smile. The six year old has always hoped that somebody would come and take him away. He’d been wishing for forever for someone to love him and want him. When things got bad with his relatives, Harry would lay in his cupboard and dream of his parents being really alive and coming to fetch him. When he was confined to the cupboard under the stairs for days, he’d imagine it being a humble little bedroom with a real bed, and chests and toys.

It would seem that all his hopes, wishes and dreams have come true, or were about to.

Harry bounced restlessly in his seat. “Really sir? Truly? I’m not going back to my relatives? Honest? You’re so nice, thank you so much!”

“Potter, stop hopping and relax!” Severus said sternly. Harry obeyed at once, though it was really hard to sit still when one was so excited. “Now if you are done with the hysterics be silent, the adults need to talk.”

“Yes, sir.”

Severus took in a deep breath and sighed, amazed at how children could change moods so quickly. Not a minute ago the child had been shy and cowering, now he was jumping for joy. Merlin forbid he have any children!

“Where were we?” asked Severus as he threw Harry one last glare.

“Just on the topic of…” Madam Pomfrey began to answer when she was cut off by a strange rumbling sound.

*Grumble. Rumble grumble*

Harry flushed from his neck to the tip of his ears. His hands flew to his stomach and he clenched it, willing it stop rumbling. His stomach, however, had a mind of its own and right now it demanded food.

Harry bowed his head as he felt the adults stare at him.

“Harry, how thoughtless of me, you must be hungry.”

“No ma’am, it’s okay.” Harry muttered. Shut up stupid stomach! You’re going to wreck everything! They’re going to get a new family for me, didn’t cha hear? He had to show these people that he wasn’t a demanding little burden. “I’m not really hungry, honestly.”

“You must be. When was the last time you ate?”

“I…I’m not…you don’t have to. You don’t have to go through all the trouble ma’am, sir. I’m really not hungry at all,” Harry insisted. His words were shot when his wayward stomach rumbled again, even more demanding this second time around.

*GROOWWWLLLL*

Stop stop! You are not hungry! Stop all that fuss right now! Harry told his stomach, beseeching it to stop all its noise.

“Nonsense. You certainly sound hungry to me,” said Pomfrey and instantly ordered a light meal and warm milk for Harry.

“You eat up now,” Madam Pomfrey urged. “You may have more in a few hours.”

Harry looked at the plate of food in front of him. Was he really allowed to eat all this nice stuff? The boy looked nervously around at the adults, who were staring at him expectantly. Would they be like his relatives and slap his hand the minute he touched the fork? How is he suppose to eat with everyone looking?

Severus stood up from his seat. “I think we shall leave Potter alone to finish his meal. After all, how is the boy supposed to eat with all of us staring at him like vultures?”

Harry smiled a little. The tall dark man understood him. He was nice.

So the small group went to Madam Pomfrey’s office and left Harry to finish his wonderful breakfast in peace.

oo0o()o0oo

In Madam Pomfrey’s office, the trio got straight to the point.

“Albus? Do you still intend to send Harry back?” Madam Pomfrey asked at once.

“The beat him, Albus! Starved him and had him believe he is worthless. A freak! Honestly, have they no shame?”

“Of course he is not going back,” Dumbledore said, shaking his head solemnly. “You were right Minerva, it was mistake leaving Harry with Petunia.”

“What is done is done,” said Severus. “We need to focus on what to do.

“Yes. The Dursleys will be dealt with in due time, but first we must find Harry a suitable guardian.”

“And who is the unlucky individual you have in mind?”

“Ah, there are a few…” Dumbledore paused a while and brought his hand to stroke his long grey beard. “The Diggorys are a nice family—good, decent, respected people. They have a young one of their own; Cedric is only a few years older than Harry,” he suggested. “I’m sure Harry would love a big brother who doesn’t push him around.”

“Are you sure, Albus? Harry might feel neglected in their home, though I’m confident they won’t do so intentionally,” said McGonagall and she went on to explain. “But Mr and Mrs. Diggory are as you say, decent people, but they are very fond of their own son and may be biased toward him. I never heard of them even considering a second child.”

“Now that I think about it, you are absolutely right, Minerva.” Dumbledore said a bit too cheerfully. Suspicious if you asked Severus. “Amelia Bones and her husband are good people,” Dumbledore continued. “Amelia is raising her niece.. I do believe that Susan is the same age as Harry. They would get along well.”

“Isn’t she on the Wizengamot?”

“Not to mention a favourite to lead the Department of Magical Law Enforcement once Burken retires,” Severus added with sarcasm and continued. “Can we trust her?”

Dumbledore nodded. “Amelia is one of the few persons I do trust in the Ministry.”

“What about the Weasleys?” Severus asked. Merlin forbid they have any more children. He hate to admit that they were a decent group of people and were trustworthy enough. Severus knew Molly personally and knew that she was a wonderful and capable mother.

“No,” McGonagall rejected the suggestion immediately. “Arthur and Molly Wealsey would be happy to take Harry in of course. But they have their hands busy with seven children. Bill is sixteen and young Ginny is only five.”

On second thought, Severus had to agree with her. The Weasley children were eccentric little hooligans the whole lot of them. Potter was shy and vulnerable. They played rough, those terrors would walk all over the poor boy…no, they would trample the boy and not even notice. What’s more, the seven Weasley kids were constantly clamoring and fighting like lions for attention. For an abused child with low self-esteem and security issues, being in a family with so much competition would not be the best.

Dumbledore smiled. “Would one of you would like the honour?” He looked at his three employees individually, his eyes twinkling again.

“You know I cannot, Albus. What with being the deputy headmistress, head of house and transfiguration teacher, there is no way I can care for an abused six year old boy. Harry deserves more. Besides, I am way too old.”

Madam Pomfrey shook her head. “I would love to but I’m afraid I cannot. I am a nurse, not a mother.”

“Not to worry, I actually had someone else in mind altogether,” said Dumbledore smirking as his gaze fell on Severus. McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey followed suit.

“Why are you all looking at me like that?”

Severus did not like the look Dumbledore was giving him, not one bit.