Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: hazpotsfan was kind enough to point out a short summary might be a good idea seeing as it's been so long, so...

Summary: This story is set during the winter term. On his birthday earlier in the year, Harry started seeing a boy - Shadow - in his mirror. Escaping the Malfoys, who had come to kidnap him, he ended up in the care of Snape (who he later discovered was his father!) However, due to an unfortunate turn of events, Dumbledore and Snape banish Shadow, trapping him on the other side of the mirror.

During this story, Harry is trying to come to terms with losing his 'brother' as well as adjusting to having a new father. Things do not go smoothly between them and then, due to Voldemort's attempts to come back into power, Snape is called away to do reconnaissance in London with Sirius Black. Harry is later kidnapped by Draco and they both come face-to-face (or face-to-glass) with Voldemort before running for their lives through the bowels of London. Harry wrangles an escape and accidently meets up with Sirius and his father, who take them back to Hogwarts. The next night, Harry thinks he hears Shadow's voice calling him, so he makes his way to the Lake (where he can hear the voice) and falls through, giving Snape the shock of his life who only just arrives in time to save him. This lands them both in the Hospital Wing, having the heart-to-heart in the previous chapter...
(Short? What happened?)

Warning for mentioned blood and torture of animals.
Shadow and Susan and Ron, oh my!

Shadow held his breath and pressed his skinny frame closer to the ground. He hadn’t really paid attention to the Mage’s earlier warnings about his surroundings, assuming that as he had spent all of his conscious life here, that he already knew all its quirks and ticks.

Turns out he was wrong.

Maybe deep-down he’d refused to entirely trust the strange creature who looked and sounded so much like his – Harry’s – father, and that refusal to trust resulted in his refusal to believe its warnings.

There were other people here, and not the kind he would want to approach. Mages, all of them, who were not even attempting to hide their true nature, making Shadow’s entire skin prickle with pain. Shadow had thought Kai had been an aberration, and maybe he had, but not in the way Shadow had expected. He hadn’t expected Kai to be the only kind one.

He’d been hiding for hours already and these people – he was being generous with the word – were making no signs of being ready to move on.

The creature in their midst whined and whimpered again as another of the group did something to it. These people, these monsters, were playing with their food before they ate it. Their prey’s blood was already streaking the ground, but the group showed no mercy in their torture. Maybe they would eventually tire and consume the poor creature’s soul, but at the moment they showed no sign of ending their game.

Shadow’s stomach roiled at the metallic smell, even as he shuddered at the thought of Aki being reduced to such a state rather than one of his compatriots. These monsters had made it seem so easy.

Shadow swiped a dragging cuff across his eyes. He just wanted to go home. Just wanted to speak to Harry, to say… He had no idea, but he was Harry would ground him somehow. First Voldemort, now these Mages, and the fact he was still trapped, still far from home. He was scared, homesick and lonely. When would it be enough? Would he ever find his way back?

His lips moved, mouthing the words ‘Help me, please’ over and over again.

Something grew hot in his pocket, searing into his thigh. Shadow bit down sharply on his lower lip and surreptitiously reached down to fish out… Kai’s note?

A small symbol he hadn’t noticed before was glowing a fierce orange-gold and Shadow only had a brief moment to blink in confusion before the parchment dissolved out of Shadow’s hand to bury itself in the ground.

For a moment everything was still. Then the ground began to shake.

The Mages screamed, and ran for it – thankfully away from where Shadow was huddled – and Shadow himself just curled up with his hands over his head and shook with the ground.

A horrible roaring filled his ears, and the earth beneath him seemed to be trying to buck him off. Already way past the end of his tether, Shadow sobbed, tears trying to squeeze their way out of tightly shut eyes. Please, that was enough, he’d had enough, he’d had enough, he’dhadenoughhe’dhadenough…

And the dreadful tremors just… stopped.

Shadow remained where he was for the longest time, struggling for the slightest bit of composure. Eventually, he found the courage to raise his head.

The landscape had changed dramatically. Giant white boulders were strewn around, where before there’d been none. And in front of him, half-sitting, half-leaning against one, was a woman dressed in white with a circlet of moonstones. She and Shadow regarded each other silently, almost daring the other to break the sudden quiet.

Eventually the woman sighed and looked away, beckoning to something behind Shadow to come closer. To Shadow’s amazement, the same cat the Mages had been tormenting slunk over and pressed itself to her side.

Shadow quickly glanced over to his left where the cat had been… and grimaced at the bloody mess still spread over the floor. He turned back, eyes wide, and finally noticed that the blue Serratius was actually mostly transparent.

The woman’s sigh snapped his attention back to her face. “It’s a terrible shame,” she addressed the air above his head, her voice whisping around them like the mist. “But I have to let them in sometimes. They’re not wanted anywhere else. Understandably. They’re lost children trying to make everything just stop. But still, they cause such a mess that I have to let them know they’re not welcome for long.” She flicked her hand at the cat’s remains and Shadow turned in time to see them dissolve into the ground exactly like Kai’s note had. The woman looked down and patted the large cat’s head with a sad smile. The cat looked back. “Time to go now. You know where.”

And the creature padded off and away back along the way Shadow had just come from. Back to the shores of death.

For the first time since her arrival, the woman turned her gaze back to look at Shadow directly. “But you’re a different kind of lost child, aren’t you?”

She seemed to be waiting for an answer, so Shadow croaked out, “Yes, but…”

She seemed to lose interest in him again and stared away into the far-distance. When she next spoke, her voice was slow and considering. “Terra-forming. Always so messy. I wish he would have given me some more warning. Still, he’s better behaved than most, though I always need to send him away like the others. Can’t let them think I have a favourite. Now, that wouldn’t be fair.”

Feeling like he wasn’t far from bursting into tears again, Shadow spoke up. “Please, who are you? Can you help me?”

She lowered her head to him again. “I am Senin,” she whispered and was silent.

“I don’t understand. Please, please – will you tell me if you can get me out of this place?”

She tilted her head as if she didn’t understand. “I am Senin,” she repeated.

“Please, I just want to go home!” Shadow only realised he’d shouted when the echo bounced back off the rocks at him. Homehomehomehome.

She moved for the first time then, crouching down and pressing a gentle kiss to his forehead. Shadow was too shaken to duck. “Poor lost one. You’ve lost your eyes, haven’t you? Don’t worry, they’ll come back. They’re coming back already, but…” She smiled; a quirk of the lips. “I suppose it won’t hurt anyone if I help them along.” She brushed a thumb over where she’d kissed and Shadow felt a sharp spike of pain drive through his skull.

“Wha…?”

“Your eyes will lead you home.” She fixed him with an earnest gaze. “And your heart will tell you when you have arrived. But, you are always welcome. Remember that, Shadow.”

From the corner of his eye, he saw what must be the most beautiful thing in the world. A mirror. Leading to the other world. They were back! He could see!

“Who– who are you?” he whispered again, not expecting an answer.

She raised an eyebrow at him, and seemed to truly focus on him for the first time. “Can’t you guess?” Her eyes sparked with intelligence and endless, endless knowledge. “I’ve been here with you the whole time.”

And then she just… faded. Not so much into the landscape, as becoming the landscape. Shadow froze, his brain stuck upon an idea too big to comprehend. After all, it’s not every day a universe gives you her blessing.

He stumbled to his feet and looked about him. He could see! The mirrors no longer replicated furniture and objects on Shadow’s side of the glass, but he could clearly see through to the other side… see that there was another side.

Wiping his eyes of tears he hadn’t known he was shedding, he set off. He didn’t recognise the landscapes shown to him through the glass, but there was a deep, gut feeling that he knew where Harry would be and that every footstep was bringing him closer.

He glanced around himself and noticed the sheen of moonstone glinting off the nearest rock as the last of the mist pulled back and away. Shadow gulped around the lump in his throat and whispered, “Thank you, Senin.”

After all, it never hurt to be polite.

oooOOOooo

That night, Harry had a strange dream.

He dreamt that a woman with white hair and timeless eyes was standing over him. If Harry squinted, he could almost see a faint nimbus standing out around her.

The woman leaned over him and whispered softly in his ear, “The time has come to remember your brother. The time has come to call him back.”

Then the world shattered into a hundred different colours and Harry was left staring at the ceiling, the memory of the dream firmly imprinted within his mind, and his father’s words ringing in his ears. Could he trust this? Or was someone trying to fool him?

oooOOOooo

The next weeks days were… less than pleasant. Harry had had the delight of trying to explain everything that had happened to him over the past couple of days to Ron and Hermione and had had his ears screeched off as a result. And that was just Ron’s reaction.

In hindsight, walking onto the Lake past midnight in his pyjamas in November did seem a tad stupid.

Harry was thoroughly sick of saying that out loud. To his father. To his friends. To Professor McGonagall, to Professor Dumbledore, to Hagrid and even to passing ghosts. Would his life ever be his own in this Castle? Or was he simply the most exciting thing since sliced bread? Harry had got that quote off a laughing Dean Thomas. It was a relief that there were people out there who didn’t want to lecture him. Not many, but a few.

His father had decided that Harry was to spend all foreseeable nights down in his chambers. And that, no this was not negotiable. In fact, Harry felt he’d got off very lightly with this, as most of his father’s anger seemed to have been directed at Professor Dumbledore for not keeping Harry safe, at Voldemort for obvious reasons, and at the Third Year Potions class for giving the Potions classroom an unwanted revamp respectively. Harry was slowly picking up on the fact that if he could distract the feared Potions Master with something which made him angrier, then he could escape the worst of his wrath.

This insight might have had something to do with Professor Dumbledore pulling him aside and informing him of this fact while twinkling.

Not to say that he didn’t get a severe talking to from Snape. Apparently Harry’s safety was non-negotiable. And his Dad was nearing the point where he was ready to put a monitoring charm on him normally used for toddlers. As if Harry didn’t feel stupid enough.

“But you went for a stroll on the Lake, mate. Even I agree with him that’s pretty stupid, and think about it. That’s me agreeing with Snape.”

Harry sighed heavily through his nose and leaned back further into the Common Room chair, from which he’d been moaning about every adult’s sudden desire to watch him like a hawk for the past half-hour. “Yeah, I know, Ron. But don’t you think they should cut me some slack? Dumbledore’s taken to appearing out of corners whenever I might be the slightest bit late for class, and he’s the one who’s had the most laid back reaction to all of this.”

Ron watched as his bishop swiped Harry’s knight off the board and settled into his new position smugly. “S’not just about that though, is it? You put a crack in You-Know-Who with nothing more than your bare hands – which is pretty impressive despite the fact that he is now a glow-y ball of light – and which means he’ll want to kill you more than ever now. They’re just worried. Hell, I’m worried and I’m not even the one he’s after. Aren’t you just the slightest bit concerned?”

Harry opened his mouth, then shut it again, struck by the sudden truth. “Not… not really. I just know Dad’ll do everything to keep Vol- him away from me. Does that seem stupid?”

Ron frowned, causing his freckles to bunch up above his nose. “Not really. I’ve seen Snape full-on spitting mad. Don’t reckon You-Know-Who will stand a chance against that. Think we ought to place bets?”

Harry snorted. “Please – like you’d want me to place a bet on your Dad winning a duel against Voldemort.” Harry pointed at a pawn and it obediently marched forward a pace to block Ron’s queen.

Predictably, Ron was distracted from their previous conversation. “Wicked! You are teaching me to do that!”

Harry grinned. “Wandless magic? Why not? Though we may have find somewhere in the castle we can’t be disturbed. Don’t think our teachers would like it much us practising something that could blow up a whole wing. D’you think Hermione would like to come too?”

Ron nodded enthusiastically even as he ordered his own castle to trap Harry’s king. “Checkmate. Oh yeah, you know she’s been green with envy ever since you told us you could do wandless stuff. In fact, I bet the twins and Ginny would come too. Maybe even Neville.”

“OK.” It seemed reasonable enough to Harry. “Let’s ask everyone this weekend. See what they think. Actually, it’s probably a really good idea to start now – Voldemort’s got too much of a head-start on us.”

Ron winced, but laughed through it. “Aw, don’t be like that! I just wanted to learn to blow stuff up with my mind.”

Harry laughed too, a weight lifting from his shoulders. “You don’t need me for that, Ron. Just ask Seamus!”

The sound of a clock striking the hour broke through their merriment. “I have to go.” Harry pulled himself out of the comfy armchair. “Otherwise Dad’ll have my head. Again. You have no idea how long he ranted at me after we got out of the Hospital Wing.”

Ron grinned wickedly. “Aw, but you had the memories of your cuddles to make it aaall better!”

Harry punched him in the arm and headed for the portrait hole. “I am killing Colin Creevey as soon as I can figure out how he took those pictures. Tell Hermione I said goodnight. I’m sure she’ll start speaking to me again soon.”

Ron snorted. “If only so she can tell you again how ‘utterly reckless you were, Harry!’” he mimicked in a high-pitched voice.

Harry squirmed out of the portrait hole, still laughing to himself. The corridors were mostly deserted this time of night; he hadn’t meant to cut it this close to curfew. Harry hurried along and tried to ignore the way the portraits and ghosts seemed to pay extra-special attention to his progress. He’d be cross with the Headmaster for prying, if he hadn’t already found out the castle’s non-living residents were just that nosey.

Crossing the Entrance Hall at a fast pace, Harry almost bumped into a rushed-looking Susan Bones. “Oh, sorry, Harry. I didn’t see you there.” She blushed and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “I’ve actually been wanting to talk to you for a while. Is now alright?” “Umm…” Harry made a hasty decision. “If you’re quick. I’ve got to be within ‘my Dad’s sight’ by curfew.”

Susan made a sympathetic face at him. “That’s OK. I’m late from the Library myself, and I don’t want to run into Filch. Besides it’s only a little thing…” She glanced at her feet and fidgeted. “I just wanted to thank you for being so kind to me the other week. It meant a lot to me.”

It was Harry who broke eye-contact this time. “Uh. Um. No problem.” Awkward…

Susan stopped chewing her lip and smiled. It was very kind. “No, I mean it. And sorry for crying all over you, Harry. I didn’t mean to get you soggy.”

Harry’s anxiety left him as he laughed. “No problem. It’s fine. I know a bit about losing people, so…” He shrugged.

Susan smiled again and squeezed his arm gently, causing his stomach to flip unexpectedly. “See you around, Harry.” She pulled away and hurried off, a blush still lighting her cheeks.

Harry’s own cheeks were warm in the cool Entrance Hall. He forced himself to look away from where Susan had disappeared and jogged the rest of the way to his father’s office.

His Dad was waiting for him at the door to his office. “You are almost late, Mr Potter.” Harry rolled his eyes at the nickname.

“Yeah, but I’m not, am I?” The man shut and locked the door behind them.

“Such cheek, young man. If that comment had been during school hours, I may well have docked you points. Your cheeks are pink, by the way.”

Harry slapped a hand to his face, as if he could hide its colour. “I’ve been running.”

“Hmm…” A twinkle appeared in Snape’s eye which was uncannily like the Headmaster’s. “So you say.”

The only response Harry could think of to that was to grumble and mutter, “Shut up,” under his breath. He could stick his tongue out, but that would be just childish.

They moved inside after that and set up camp on the sofa – Snape with tea and a potions manual, Harry with hot chocolate and his homework. A comfortable silence surrounded them, which both of them would have once claimed was impossible. Most nights had ended up like this, much to Harry’s surprise, who never would have expected that Professor Snape – for all his temper and dramatics – preferred the quiet. But that was OK. Harry liked quiet too. It made a marked difference from Uncle Vernon’s shouting, Aunt Petunia’s shrill voice and Dudley’s whinging.

It was Snape’s voice which broke the silence first. “Silininus Spindley has once again tried and failed to accurately describe the correct application of Mandrake Root in healing potions. The dunderhead.”

Harry snorted. “D’you call everyone you don’t like a dunderhead?”

His Dad shot him a look over the top of his paper. “Of course. It is very therapeutic.”

“What about people who are actually stupid?”

Snape pretended to think for a minute. “Imbecile seems to fit the bill quite nicely. I believe I will stick with that.”

Harry snickered and turned back to his work, suddenly struck by the fact that his father’s snarky tone was very similar to Shadow’s when he was teasing. Harry thought back to the dream he’d had a couple of weeks ago and the strange woman in it. Did it mean something? His Dad didn’t think so, but Harry couldn’t help but be struck by how vivid it had been, and how much it had felt real once he’d woken up.

He shut the book in front of him. “I’m going to bed.”

His father made a face at him. “Have you finished your homework?”

Harry made a face back. “Almost. But I’m tired and it’ll be a lot better if I finish it in the morning.”

Snape let it go but Harry could tell it was grudgingly. “Very well. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.” Harry shut the door to his room and wondered if they’d ever be one of those families who’d hug and kiss when they said goodnight. Probably not. Harry wondered if it was Mums who taught everyone how to show affection and if he and his father had been doomed from the start in that regard. Then again, they were so much more comfortable with each other now, especially when you compared their behaviour around each other now than to how they’d been at the start of term…

Harry took a deep breath and opened the door again.

Snape looked up and frowned, concern crossing his features before being carefully hidden. “Did you forget something?”

Harry nodded sharply. “Yes.” Before he could lose his nerve, he marched over and threw an arm across his father’s chest, catching his shoulder and briefly burying his face in the other shoulder. “G’night.”

A gentle hand touched the back of his head and Harry relaxed. “You are a very strange boy. Goodnight, Harry.”

Harry stayed where he was for another moment before breaking away and leaving for his room without making eye contact. Hugging was one thing, but talking about it? Harry shuddered.

He settled on the bed and looked at the long mirror at the end of it. Ever since the dream, Harry had been doing this every night; just a quick message to a lost brother. “We’re getting better at this, Shadow. Me and Dad. Still wish you were here, but even if I’m imagining things. Even if… you never find your way back, I think we’ll be OK. It’ll be Christmas soon – just under a month. I hope you don’t mind if I get you a present. Stupid, I know, but…” Harry trailed off and sighed, glancing back to where Salem was coiled sinuously across Harry’s headboard, “it seems really mean not to include you, when you’re the reason I’m even looking forward to Christmas with a family I… love. So, tough, you’re getting a present.”

Salem regarded him lazily for a moment. “Sshadow will be pleasssed. I am sssure.

Harry snorted. “I doubt it. If he’s anything like me, he’ll be embarrassed.

Salem’s eyes gleamed. “I would not be embarassssed at pressentsss.

Harry’s snort turned into a full laugh. “You already know I’m getting you white mice for Christmas, so stop fishing. It’s not like I’ll forget with all your prodding.” He rose from the bed and padded into the bathroom. The Christmas holiday was when his punishment would finish, which seemed like a nice enough present to him. He wondered what present his Dad would like. What Shadow would like. What Ron and Hermione and Hagrid would like. Harry splashed water on his face and groaned. Maybe he could convince Professor Dumbledore to do his Christmas shopping for him… and bribe him with socks.

oooOOOooo

Severus tilted his head and listened. Harry was talking to the mirror again. Quite frankly, that kind of behaviour worried Severus, but if it brought comfort to his boy, he was willing to turn a blind eye. Harry had been through the mill enough this term without Severus adding to it. Again.

Truthfully, in the aftermath of everything, Severus was angrier with his own inability to keep Harry safe than Harry himself. The boy was always going to do reckless things; coming from the background he did, and considering the things that were after him, it was unreasonable to expect Harry to always stay out of mischief. Severus understood that now. Didn’t mean he had to like it.

Albus had sorted out young Malfoy discreetly – packing him off for the remainder of the term to a smaller boarding school in southern France, away from his father’s reach with Black acting as his chaperone. Maybe it would actually teach the brat something along with giving some distance from the war the boy desperately needed. Severus was grateful for the distance. After having heard the full account of the ‘incident’ from Harry, Severus had almost gone straight to wring Draco’s neck.

His temper had been a difficult thing to control these last few weeks. He’d found himself lashing out at his colleagues, his students and even occasionally passing shrubbery if it got in his way. He’d almost lashed out at Harry a couple of times, but…

But then, Harry kept doing unexpected things; like smiling at him, even after he’d been telling him off. Or like what he’d done tonight.

The hug had felt strange, but hadn’t been any less welcome. Severus hadn’t been able to concentrate on his journal since. Lily had always had the same effect; Severus had simply had so little physical kindness in his life, he wasn’t able to resist it. He’d never been able to remain angry at Lily for long and now… now he’d come to know him… it seemed like the same was true for her son.

He sighed. It seemed like he would just have to bottle his anger until someone came in range who actually threatened Harry. Now that Severus was good at. The next person to hurt his son wouldn’t know what had hit them.

Chapter End Notes:
Long chapter is long. In case anyone was wondering, Salem is Harry's pet snake Snape bought him for his birthday.