Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A big thank you to all of you who gave me possible chapter names in your reviews - I loved them all and it was so difficult to chose. Don't worry if your idea wasn't chosen - I'll probably bear them all in mind for use in other fics :) Thank you all, and I hope you're enjoying!
Disheartened

Harry slid into the Potions classroom, almost cringing as he caught sight of his father standing near the front.

I don’t want to see him. Not yet.

Harry grimaced at his thoughts and automatically took a seat right at the back of the classroom. Ron and Hermione slid protectively into the places either side of him, eyeing Snape with mistrust. After opening all of his wonderful new presents, Harry had finally screwed up enough courage to tell them of his punishment and the reason for it. Ron especially, had thought it far too harsh.

“No way! No way should that greasy bastard be allowed to take Quidditch from you!” Ron raged, his fists balled up by his sides. “Just who does he think he is?

Harry gave him a wry look. “My father, maybe, Ron?” He almost winced as he remembered that he’d said the exact same thing to Snape the night before. The man was going to be so angry!

Ron looked stumped for a minute before he rallied. “Yeah, but, yeah... No father should do that to his own son! It’s just cruel!

Harry sighed unhappily. “Tell me about it.” He idly picked up the little, silver bell Hermione had got him and shook it. A soft tinkling sound filled the room and Harry’s heart lifted with it. “Forget it, though, Ron. It’s not like I can do anything about it or get him to change his mind. It is Snape after all!” Harry shook the bell again and found himself smiling. “Hey, Hermione, what did you say this was for again?

“Oh, it’s something I picked up in the Wizarding part of Greece – that’s where my parents and I were before this whole Ministry business happened – and I thought it might interest you.” Hermione held her hand out for the object and Harry obligingly put it into her upraised palm. “This is one of the few items used to train a Vivimancer.

Harry and Ron looked blank.

“Oh, honestly!” Hermione rolled her eyes. “Vivimancy? The opposite of Necromancy? The people that lay the spirits to rest that the Necromancers called up? No? Oh well, it’s a more well-known art outside of Britain, anyway. The Bell, one the Vivimancer’s tools of trade, is the one object capable of calming a spirit enough to make it want to cross back over to the other side.

Hermione held the bell up to the light and Harry looked on with more interest than before.

“However, it only has the strength to calm an undead spirit when rung in a certain way. Just waving the bell around at random will have no effect.” Hermione demonstrated and the soft tinkling rang throughout the room again. “It’s calming to us, but the undead would be unable to hear it. Now, this is a training bell, so it won’t do anything except teach the owner of it how to use it properly, and if you ring it right, you’ll get a reward. Hang on...

Hermione thought for a minute and then swung the bell with six complicated wrist movements, making the bell peel out several different notes, ending on a high note that made Harry’s ears ring and his head feel fuzzy. There was a soft thump on the bed and Harry looked down, starting to laugh as he realised the bell had released a chocolate frog in response to Hermione’s efforts.

Hermione beamed and handed the frog to Harry. “There you go. Actually,” she looked a little sheepish, “I only bought it because I heard that it had a calming effect on humans. I thought that you might need something like this after the past three years you’ve had, but as soon as I heard there was a back-story, I knew I had to learn all about it!

Ron laughed and clapped her on the back. “There’s our Hermione! And to think,” he glanced at Harry, who was currently munching on the chocolate frog, “I only got you a box of Filibusters and some Chocolate Cauldrons. Leave it to a girl to make a guy feel insignificant!

Harry laughed and punched Ron on the shoulder. “I love both of your presents just as much and you both know it! Thanks a lot, guys.

Hermione beamed. “You’re welcome, Harry. Now, it’s time to get up and get ready for classes! You don’t want to be late on the first day, you know.” She got up and disappeared out the door.

Ron rolled his eyes and helped Harry put away his presents. “Girls! Who’d have ‘em?

Harry smiled back and rang the bell on last time before slipping it into his trunk, enjoying the feeling of peace and well-being while it lasted.

Now however, Harry felt anything but relaxed as he clenched his hands on top of his desk and waited for the lesson to begin. He flinched almost violently when he accidently caught his father’s eye.

What the hell is he going to do to me now? In the past he’s been a whole lot nastier to me for a whole lot less... Oh, God, the names I called him!

Harry glared at the grain of the desk and shuddered as Snape began to speak, waiting for the axe to fall any second from now. Deciding that it was probably best that he listened to the lecture, Harry slowly lifted his head and stared at a point over Snape’s head, pulling out quill and parchment to begin writing like the rest of the class.

From time to time he felt his neck prickle as Snape moved about the classroom, his quiet voice echoing loudly in the near silence of the dungeons. Harry had felt a slight leap of joy his father had said that this was a recap lesson and that there would be no brewing that day. He was pretty sure his shaking hands would have botched any potion of his to a standard worse than Neville’s.

And still Snape hadn’t said anything to Harry.

This worried Harry more than he cared to admit. Surely the longer Snape held off, the nastier he was going to be? He clenched his sweaty palms to try and stop the shaking, but there was nothing he could do to stop the twisting in his stomach.

I wish I had that bell right now... But that’s one thing that would be sure to attract Snape’s attention.

“Mr Malfoy.”

Harry twitched, and then berated himself for being so jumpy.

“What are the three most essential components found in all antidotes?”

Malfoy sat up straight and preened a little. Harry rolled his eyes at the behaviour. You aren’t that special to him, you stupid twat. He’s MY father. Harry turned his head and glared at the smug Slytherin.

“There is no such thing as a universal component for all antidotes, sir. However, fresh Mandrake root is often used in restoring the body, asphodel is used for protection of the mind and armadillo bile is used to improve mental ability. Because all three of these are often found in many antidotes, most people wrongly assume that they are required in all ‘fixing’ potions.”

Snape nodded approvingly. “Excellent evaluation, Mr Malfoy. Five points to Slytherin.”

Harry felt a hot spike of anger settling in his gut, but before he could realise his unexplainable jealously, Snape had turned his gaze to him. Harry froze where he sat.

“Mr Snape.”

Whatever else Snape was going to say was cut off by a series of loud gasps and low murmuring travelling around the room. Harry cringed at the sound. So far, his teachers had avoided calling his name out in class, acting as though Harry weren’t quite there, and so now, everywhere he looked, Harry met gazes that were either stunned, horrified or a mixture of both. Harry briefly wondered which ones hadn’t yet worked out that the strange newcomer was none other than Harry Potter.

Silence!

The entire class flinched and turned their eyes to Snape, all suddenly very nervous about what he was going to do now, Harry most of all.

Snape glared around at each of them, his lips twisted in disdain. “You are not permitted to speak unless I give my express permission. Is that understood?” he hissed, and the class flinched at the venom in his tone. “I have half a mind to give you all detention for your insolence...”

Harry was gratified to see that Snape gave the Slytherins the evil eye as well.

“Now, Mr Snape.”

Harry’s heart sank.

oooOOOooo

Severus watched his tense son with interest.

Calm down, Harry. I haven’t even asked the question yet. Not that it’s a particularly difficult one at any rate...

“The body parts of which creature render the application of a Bezoar useless?”

Severus almost frowned as Harry tensed up even further, but was careful to keep the consternation from his face. The boy’s eyes were going glassy, as though he were remembering something he’d rather not.

Come along, Harry. I’m well aware you know this. I made you read the chapter with this in at least three times, for Merlin’s sake! What on Earth’s the matter?

Harry’s hands fisted in his robes and he began to look extremely miserable.

“Well?”

Harry glanced up at Severus once before turning his pale face to the desk. Severus sighed inaudibly, only to feel acute worry for his son settle in his stomach a moment later.

Did he not have any breakfast after all? Is he feeling unwell? Should I keep him behind and send him up to Madame Pomfrey? Help him myself?

Severus forced himself to turn away and continue lecturing to the rest of the class. The lesson was almost over anyway...

“The correct answer is the crocodile, namely the throat and stomach. This non-magical creature’s natural bodily enzymes counteract the Bezoar, meaning that its application would be useless. Of course, if the potion had been boiled during the brewing process, the heat would have de-natured the enzymes, thus destroying its use as a poison.”

The bell rang, but none of the class dared move from their seats, despite the fact that it was now lunchtime. Severus felt his lips curl into a small smirk. He had taught them well.

“The concept that I wish for you to take away with you is twofold; one, never rely solely on a Bezoar to save someone from poison, and two, never, ever boil a potion with crocodile parts in it unless you want an instant fail in my class. I want two rolls on parchment on this, due next Monday. Now, get out.”

There was a general scramble and rush for the door, but none of the students moved as fast as Harry, who was out of the room before Severus could even think to call his name. His friends followed close behind.

“Miss Granger!” Severus snapped quickly and the girl froze, one foot already out in the corridor. “Stay behind.”

Looking incredibly nervous, Granger turned around and walked to stand in front of his desk. Severus waited until the room was empty before gesturing the door closed with his wand. It responded with a bang.

Granger jumped and let out a small squeak, turning to face him with wide eyes. Severus leaned back on his desk and gave her a cool stare.

“Miss Granger, was the food you removed from the Great Hall this morning consumed by my son?” he asked without further preamble.

“Ex-excuse me, sir?” she stammered, staring at him incredulously.

Severus snorted softly. “And here I was under the impression that you were intelligent. My son,” he said emphatically. “Did he eat anything this morning?”

“Oh! I- Yes, yes, he did. Ron and I made sure of it.”

Severus let his eyes slip closed in vague relief. So at least he hasn’t made himself sick. But this means that something else is wrong... He sighed and opened his eyes again to find the girl staring at him with open curiosity.

“Thank you, Miss Granger.” He made his way around his desk and pulled a potion out of one of the warded draws. “Deliver this to him and inform him that I expect him to drink it.”

Granger delicately took the light green potion out of his outstretched hand and even had the audacity to smile a little as she identified it. “Of course, sir. Harry will appreciate this, I’m sure!”

Severus ignored her. “You are dismissed.” He didn’t bother watching as she made her way out of the door, but he did let his head fall into his hands once he heard it click shut behind her.

What in Merlin’s name gave me the impression that I could do this? Worrisome, stubborn child. Why do I have to care?

Chapter End Notes:
Only a short one this time, but hopefully it won't be too long until the next one's up!