Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta read by wonderful Wellyuthink aka Jen. Thank you!
Every September a New Defence Teacher

Potter stood in the middle of the room, fists balled at his sides. "But Dumbledore said- "

"We have been through this!" Severus hissed as he tried to invoke the rest of his patience. He'd been the boy's soon-to-be guardian for five hours and the brat was already driving him mad. He continued with forced calm, "Give me one sound reason why I should risk your life by taking you to the Diagon Alley. And, please, do not repeat that Albus said in June that you would be allowed to the Diagon Alley on August 31st. It is not a reason."

The boy watched him warily, not for a second fooled by Severus' false patience. His face blandly showed that he was trying to make up an acceptable reason. Severus noted to himself for later that he would have to remind the boy how much he detested to be lied to.

"I need my books and other school supplies," Potter tried, not very brightly.

"You have all your sixth year books already. Of course, as your guardian I will provide you potions ingredients, not to mention parchment, ink and quills," Severus countered easily.

"I need my school clothes." Slightly better, but still easily dodged.

"You will need those," Severus admitted. "However, your presence at Madam Malkin's is not necessary; the clothes will be self adjustable, just as your casual trousers and shirt."

"I don't have any galleons left, I need to go and take some from my vault." Potter's expression brightened, as he thought he had found an unshakeable reason. "You can't make a withdrawal without me."

"Never heard about Owl Orders, Potter?" Severus said sarcastically. The boy behaved as if he left his Muggle relatives only yesterday. He needed a proper guardian like a dose of salts.

"Of course I did!" the brat snapped, peeved. Severus frowned. Of course it was above Potter to admit his failings.

"Why are you talking nonsense, then?" Severus gave Potter his trademark raised eyebrow.

"What nonsense? How I can get an order by owl when I'm broke? Not to mention, I haven't got my owl and I'm not allowed to correspond by myself." Potter was clearly working himself into a fit.

Severus was just about to give the boy a piece of his mind. In the last second before he started shouting, he remembered the advice given in the book Granger had chosen for Potter - Severus had immediately obtained himself the same book, so that he could follow the boy's progress in coping with Black's death. Instead of arguing, try to reason; within your mind as well with others, the book said. Reasoning with Gryffindors wasn't high on Snape's list of the most trusted matters, but he decided to give it a try. Merlin and all Gods help Potter if the brat decided to argue further.

Severus tried to modulate his voice into calm, "This is not a way to start a guardianship, I would say. We should better talk after we calm ourselves. Go to your room and come back here in a half an hour."

Potter was still for a moment and then he apparently - miracles happen! - decided to follow Severus' order and left the room.

***

Harry sat on a windowsill from where he would see the Thestral-drawn carriages coming. It was still too early, of course, but Harry felt too restless to stay in Gryffindor common room and he didn't feel like being around his teachers on his last free day. Visiting the kitchen had been fun, but there was only that much food one could eat.

There was no fun without Ron and Hermione at Hogwarts, Harry decided. He had been moping around for a few hours now and longed dearly for his friends. And Luna. Harry wondered what they would say about Snape's becoming his guardian. He guessed they would be worried that Snape would abuse his power over his ward or at least would be too strict with Harry. Well, Harry himself was worried about that too - a bit. There was no arguing that Snape was ridiculously strict. Who kept their wards studying like mad whole holiday long? And who kept them from coming to the Diagon Alley for just a short-ish visit? Snape had.

Harry grimaced as he recounted their row. Snape hadn't abused his power so far, though. The day before yesterday, Harry had feared for a second that he would get slapped for arguing with the man. Instead, he was just sent to his room. Afterwards, when he had been called out, all worried about his punishment, Harry had actually felt relieved he had only been informed - in a no-nonsense tone - that there was no going outside the wards and the best Harry could do was to ask Snape for the things he wanted to buy.

Harry reached into his pocket and took out a small deep-blue bell with tiny silver ornaments on in. He would never understand Snape, really. The man kept ridiculing Harry about he most normal things, but when it came to really ridiculous matter, Snape went and with a straight face he brought much better gift for Luna's mother than Harry would ever have picked out himself. The man even hadn't raised an eyebrow over the fact that Luna celebrated birthdays of a long dead mum and loved to be given presents for her. And wonder of wonders, Snape even hadn't asked embarrassing questions about Harry's feelings to Luna. Not as if Harry was ashamed of his falling in love with her. He didn't know why he kept blushing stupidly when Luna was mentioned. Harry scowled and decided to think about something else.

He looked at the small bell in his hand again, pensively. He supposed it couldn't hurt to try, right? Harry really wondered if he would feel something. He moved his hand carefully, and listened to the sweet ringing.

"Harry?" The voice behind him startled him so much that Harry nearly dropped the bell.

"Hello, Headmaster." He got up. Pity, that Snape wasn't there to see how his manners improved. Harry definitely didn't care for getting another boring lecture about the topic.

"Ah, a Passing Bell." Dumbledore reached for it and Harry obediently handed the tiny thing over.

"Do you think they work?" he asked. The thought that it would work was unbelievable, but oddly satisfying - one rang a Passing Bell and the dead who he was thinking about at the moment knew that he was remembering them; the bell passed love between the world or living and the world of dead.

Dumbledore rang the bell, looking at it pensively. "There are magical matters and aspects between the earth and sky that we don't understand yet, my boy. Sometimes, we must have faith and hope." He rang again and Harry wondered who the old wizard was remembering.

The Headmaster shook his head, as if to remember why he had come to see Harry in the first place. "Accompany me to my office, Harry, the guardianship papers are ready to be signed. I don't believe you have changed your mind, have you?"

"No, sir," Harry answered, taking the Passing Bell back and pocketing it. He hadn't changed his decision. Snape was strict but he was decent enough when he tried. And it was obvious that the man did try. It was actually funny how obvious Snape's fights for patience were. He usually pinched bridge of his big nose and closed his eyes for a second. Or he clenched his fists until all his slender fingers were white and then forcibly relaxed them. Then there was the pacing - though it was not so impressive without black cloak flying behind the man. Taking deep breath and slowly releasing it usually worked just fine for Snape. Harry grinned.

Snape tried. It was much more than the Dursleys had ever done.

"Wonderful," Dumbledore enthused. "Severus also wants you to retake the written part of your Potions O.W.L. I will serve as a witness that the test was correctly taken."

"W- what?" Harry was so surprised that he stuttered. "But- "

"Don't worry, my boy, I'm sure Severus wouldn't let you retake the exam if he didn't believe you can pass." The Headmaster's eyes twinkled.

Harry wished he had been as sure as Dumbledore. Snape had forced him to reread the Potions book and all his notes and also his essays - full of red notes and scathing remarks - but it had been in July. Harry wasn't sure he remembered anything at all. He suddenly wondered if Snape had always meant Harry to retake the exam. Harry knew that his O.W.L. score wasn't high enough to be admitted into Snape's advanced classes. And still, Snape had forced him to study Potions - it had been in the time when Snape had been in the walking-bomb state, so Harry hadn't argued and studied like mad. Still, it was a month ago!

Really, Harry was never going to understand the man. Snape had been nice enough to do Harry's shopping yesterday without protests. Why the man didn't warn Harry about the O.W.L. test?

"Clothes, cheapest chocolate for you, the most expensive treats for your owl, and something mystical or weird that Miss Lovegood might like," Snape summed up Harry's order before parting.

Harry was sure there had been a trace of sarcasm in Snape's voice, and he felt the need to stand up for his pet. "Hedwig doesn't like the cheaper things. I tried," he explained. "I had to give them to school owls, but she didn't like that either."

Snape just looked at him oddly, then shook his head as if to say all words would be wasted here, and took his leave. By that time Harry was glad he didn't get another lecture about value of money, and reasonable spending. Now, Harry was wondering why the man hadn't said something about the test! A warning would have been nice.

"Ginger Escargots!" Dumbledore gave the password and they climbed into the Headmaster's office, soon to be joined by Snape.

***

Over the Potions Journal he was reading, Severus watched his ward diligently scribbling answers to the O.W.L. test. From this distance he couldn't see words, of course, but Potter didn't seem to hesitate much, which was a good sign. Severus knew from experience, that Potter tended to leave 'unknown lands' alone rather than try to make something up.

Severus fervently hoped Potter would pass the test. He needed to score really well, nearly flawlessly, to compensate for his Practical. If the boy didn't pass, Severus would have to think up another way how to smuggle Potter to his Advanced Potions class. To have a ward that dropped Potions was simply unthinkable! Letting anyone in with mark under Outstanding was equally unacceptable, of course. Damn, Severus should have got his hands on the brat one year ago!

Severus noticed that Albus was watching him amusedly, and he scowled at his old mentor. Since Severus had mentioned the test, Albus treated it as a hilarious joke. Annoying Gryffindors!

Severus turned his attention back to his Potions Journal, but his thoughts kept running. He had to wonder - for about hundred time - how had Albus managed to press the guardianship request through the Ministry in two days. Two days! And it was a guardianship of the Boy-Who-Lived being taken in by a highly suspicious double agent. Talk about miracles. All Albus had had to do - or so he claimed - was to call for two people to pay back favours and promise to one witch a monthly dose of the Wolfsbane Potion for her cousin. Severus was making the concoction for Lupin anyway, so it wouldn't take any extra time. A perfect bargain.

A knock on the door sounded and Minerva stepped in. She stopped short at seeing Harry and Severus present.

"Ah, hello, Minerva, are those the reports for Department of Development?" Albus greeted her cheerfully. He noticed her curious glance at Potter - who, gods be impressed, stood and greeted the witch politely - and added, "Harry is retaking his Potions O.W.L. at a request of his guardian."

"I see," the witch answered a bit coolly. Severus knew she had promised the boy to help him in reaching the Auror program. What was her problem then? It must be the guardianship, Severus mused; Minerva probably thought she - as the boy's Head of the House - should have been offered the guardianship herself. The funny thing was, she hadn't tried to challenge the summer plans for Potter. Severus gave her a raised eyebrow and the witch pursed her lips and went to discuss her reports with Albus.

Severus noticed Potter was watching the witch intently, his expression showing confusion, worry and also a good piece of hurt. "Potter!" he admonished, "you have only five minutes left, I suggest you read through your answers carefully instead of staring around." Good thing that Minerva hadn't come sooner to distract the boy.

The witch decided to stay and wait for the result of Potter's test. When Severus announced the boy that he managed to pass into his advanced class, Minerva seemed genuinely happy.

"Good work, Mr. Potter. Your parents would be proud," she said. The boy all but beamed at her. Severus gritted his teeth. Gryffindors! A quarter of hour ago she was snubbing him, but now she said one sappy thing, and Potter nearly wet himself with happiness. Unbelievable.

"Yes, good work, Potter," Severus said, "from now on, I expect nothing less from you. You are dismissed."

***

"Snape is your guardian," Ron repeated for about the tenth time, his voice dull and disbelieving. Neville stared at Harry with horrified pity.

"You already said that, Ron," Hermione rolled her eyes and she smacked the boy's forearm. "Snap out of it! Harry's spent all holiday with him, so it's not all that surprising, is it?"

Harry loved this about Hermione. She quite often understood things that happened to Harry quicker than Harry himself. It was a bit annoying on occasion, but now it was rather welcome.

"Do you know who the new Defence teacher is, Harry?" Hermione moved to the one topic she was apparently dying to know about. To Harry's relief, Ron and Neville were distracted by her question.

"His name's Helix Pomatia," Harry informed them, "and Snape said- "

He was cut off by Hermione starting to laugh madly. The three boys stared at her in astonishment. Harry had never seen the girl having a laughing fit. He grinned.

"You know him?" Neville tried. "Is he funny?"

Hermione only clutched her stomach and shook even harder. Harry and the other two boys shrugged at each other.

"I don't think he's funny," Harry told Neville and Ron. "Snape said there was something slimy about him."

Hermione, who was about to recover from the fit, was set into another one. Ron quickly grabbed her arm to prevent her from collapsing. Harry started laughing too - Hermione's mirth was contagious. It felt good. He felt as if he hadn't laughed for ages. The summer with Snape was alright - the best he had ever had - but it was hardly a walk in the park; amusing or otherwise.

Finally, Hermione recovered and she explained, "Helix Pomatia is-" - she paused to giggle - "the Latin name for edible snails, you know, those eaten as Escargot with parsley butter."

Ginger Escargots! Harry recalled Dumbledore's new password and laughed. Neville and Ron were laughing uncontrollably too. Hermione tried to interrupt, lecturing them about the fact that one didn't get to choose their name and people shouldn't be judged for it.

"You laughed first!" Ron burst out, unable to let such a hypocrisy pass.

"Yes, and it was immature," Hermione said with high airs. "I can admit it was wrong," she added with dignity. Ron rolled his eyes. Harry grinned. This year would be anything but boring.

"Snape also said we should be careful around him," Harry informed them quickly, as it was nearly about time to get to the Great Hall. "Snape remembers him from their school days and said Pomatia was always vindictive and dangerous. He never faced his enemies, but got to them from behind - with something vicious in a roundabout manner so that no one could pin it on him."

"Sounds like Snape to me," Ron said and Harry scowled at him.

"You can't say Snape wouldn't let you know that you pissed him off," he argued. "He's quite forward in his hate."

"Snape's officially on our side now," Hermione added before Ron or Neville managed to oppose. "We should support him."

Neville's face turned into a disbelieving grimace. Ron stared mutely and then cheered up, exclaiming, "We don't have to support him, as we're not taking Potions anymore." Neville nodded with evident relief.

"I'm taking Potions, actually," Harry informed them quickly. He could see Luna approaching and he wanted to greet her, preferably before they entered the Great Hall. "Snape made me retake the written test and I passed." He grinned. "I still can become an Auror!"

His friends congratulated him; Hermione enthusiastically, Neville with a hint of pity for Harry and Ron... well, Harry was sure he could hear jealousy in Ron's ‘Good for you!' He had no time to ponder over his best friend's annoying pettiness, so he dismissed it.

"Keep me a place at the table," he asked them and hurried to Luna. She gave him her dreamy smile and Harry's heart stopped beating for a second. She was so... so... There were actually no words for it. She was Luna.

Harry spontaneously gave her a hug and kissed her on the mouth. "I missed you," he murmured. Instantly, he blushed and released her. It was rather presumptuous of him, as they never kissed before. Harry was probably supposed to wait for her to kiss him first, he guessed.  Boys were supposed not to press girls into anything, right? He wondered if there was a book for this.

Luna smiled at him, not annoyed in the slightest, Harry found with relief. "I wish you had been looking for Misty Fairies with us," she said. "I'm sure we would have managed to take more than just one picture of them," she added sadly.

Harry would help her to take pictures of mountain trolls if it meant they could spend the summer together. "Here, look!" He fished the bell from his pocket, hopeful that a present would cheer Luna up. "Present for your mum's birthday."

Harry went into the Great Hall alone, in an odd, melancholic mood. Luna had been so taken up with the gift that she had refused to be convinced otherwise and went to her dormitory to ring for her mum. Harry was glad his gift was so well liked, but felt a strange feeling of guilt. How different this was from Mirror of Erised? An uncertain pang of jealousy was added in the mixture of his feelings; he had found himself wishing he remembered his mum as much as Luna did hers.

***

"Your progress is too slow," Severus grumbled at the end of the first Occlumency lesson of the school year. He led his student out of his study and into the living room. "Sit down in the armchair."

Harry obeyed him and sat down rather heavily. He didn't say anything.

Severus summoned a House-elf and ordered a fruit salad and a cup of hot cocoa for Harry and coffee for himself. "Have you managed to keep out of trouble so far?" he asked his ward. It was only three days into the school year but one never knew with a Potter.

Harry nodded and accepted the steaming hot chocolate from Severus. He seemed to be over-tired, Severus noticed. A talk about bed time was in order, probably. Important matters first, though.

"Have you stayed out of Pomatia's hair?" he probed. Given his ward's history with Defence teachers, Severus had fervently hoped that, for at least once in his life, Potter obeyed his orders.

Harry nodded again, somewhat glumly. "Ron hasn't, though," he admitted. "How dangerous is he exactly?"

"His parents died in a rather suspicious manner," Severus said silkily, voice full of insinuations. Harry choked on his drink.

"You're having me on," the boy half said, his tone halfway between a statement and a question. Severus raised his eyebrow in a meaningful manner.

"Oh, crap," Harry groaned. "Do you think he'll try to kill Ron?"

Severus smirked in amusement. Gryffindors were always so ready to be over-dramatic. "I seriously doubt it. Mr. Weasley should watch his back, though. He shouldn't go anywhere alone." Severus paused to push the bowl full of fruit towards Harry. "It's just as well, as I don't want you to go anywhere alone either."

Harry quickly swallowed a strawberry and objected indignantly, "I left him alone, alright? I even didn't say anything when he prattled about how great a job the Ministry of Magic was doing in fighting Voldemort." The brat actually sounded proud of himself for his restraint.

"Watch your tone," Severus warned. "There are quite a few students possibly walking in their parents' footsteps, who would welcome the opportunity to get into better graces with the Dark Lord by harming you or helping to kidnap you."

"Oh," his ward muttered and Severus didn't even bother to roll his eyes.

"Do I need to add that you will be much safer if you spend more time in the library and the common room, and stop wandering the school at nights?" Severus asked rhetorically. He gritted his teeth when he saw Harry's uninterested shrug. This admonishment obviously was ineffective because it had been used too many times on Potter. Fortunately, Gryffindors were easy to manipulate through their friends.

"There is no need to make Pomatia's work any easier, handing him weapons against Mr. Weasley. So, for your friend's sake, you should keep him in line." There, now he'd set the cat among the pigeons. It should work.

It worked. The boy stopped devouring the fruit salad and glanced at Severus. "Yeah, I guess we should lay low," Harry agreed and then hastily continued, "Not as if we ever wandered at nights that much." Severus' face must have shown his scepticism, as his ward added, "Really."

Severus left it without comment. "When you are finished," he glanced at the nearly empty bowl, "I want you to read the first chapter of the Potion textbook before you go back to your common room." Severus summoned the book in question from the work-table, where he had prepared it, and laid it before Harry.

"Why?" the boy asked, sounding difficult.

"Your performance reflects on me," Severus informed him tersely. The brat rolled his eyes. Severus' temper flared. "You will do your best to keep up with your classmates, who, I might add, made it in for their first try."

Upon seeing the boy's hurt expression, he amended, "You simply need to apply yourself more. I know you have potential to do well in Potions, otherwise I wouldn't have taken you in."

"Into you class or into the guardianship?" Harry asked in icy sarcasm, turning his hurt feelings into anger as quickly as only teenagers could. "I promise to do my best. I wouldn't want you to dump me in a ditch, would I, because I failed a Potions test!"

Severus clenched his fists and then forced himself to relax. He wished he could shake the brat until his bones rattled. "Just read the chapter," he said in a forcedly calm voice and left the room to wash his face with cold water. Why did he agree to this, again? Why hadn't he opted for living in hiding, alone and reclusive, devoting all of his spare time to his potions research?

When Severus got back, Harry was reading his schoolbook diligently. The boy only gave him a short - slightly nervous - glance and continued studying. Severus opened his own book and immersed himself in reading.

Severus looked up, hearing Harry to clear his throat. "Er- I finished the chapter, sir," the boy said nervously.

"Off with you, then," he dismissed the teenager, his voice cold. Severus didn't feel like tolerating any cheek from the boy.

"Good night," Harry said softly. He lingered by the door for a moment. "Thank you for the fruit, sir." And he was gone.

Severus sighed. This was going to be a long year.

***

Harry was walking to yet another Occlumency lesson. He was getting them four times a week - on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays - tonight it was the tenth one. The lessons were no longer the nightmare they used to be last year, but they still were unpleasant and very taxing. With Quidditch practices on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings, Harry was left with little time and energy for doing homework or dating Luna. Well, dating, Harry frowned. He wasn't sure he could call it "dating".

He and Luna talked a bit, but she had never kissed him. Harry was waiting for her to show some signs that she wished to be kissed, but Luna had never given any. Or if she had, Harry hadn't recognised them. Of course, it was hard to meet without other people present - why school seemed to be so over-crowded this year? - and Luna could hardly ask him for a kiss before other students. With one reason or another, he thought bitterly, his relationship with Luna scarcely differed from Harry's relationship with Hermione. That was frustrating.

Harry felt he should do something nice for Luna, something to show her how much he cared about her. But what? Yeah, that, and also when to do it. Between classes, Occlumency - and obligatory meditations - and Quidditch, Harry hardly managed to scribble through his homework. He couldn't slack much, because he was sure his teachers would complain to Snape, and the man was already displeased with Harry for his failure to Occlude.

Harry was getting tired, and it was only third week of classes. Also, Harry already knew all of the stuff they were covering in the classes so far from his summer studying. What would he do after the first or second month, when the topics covered would be new for him? He couldn't imagine going on like this for the rest of the school year.

"Daydreaming, Mr. Potter?" silky voice sounded beside him suddenly and Harry started. "Though judging by your expression, it was rather a nightmarish daydream."

Harry was spared responding, as they reached the door to Snape's quarters. Inside, however, his guardian's tone changed rapidly.

"Are you insane?" Snape hissed at him angrily. "Waltzing though dungeons alone and absent-minded? I warned you that the school may not be safe for you any longer. Do you ever listen?"

Snape's voice gradually rose. Harry frowned. He hated being shouted at and he was getting angry too - though he had to admit that Snape had a point. Harry realised he didn't want to argue. Snape would win anyway; and also, it felt like too much effort to make on Friday evening, especially before an Occlumency séance. 

"I'm sorry," he said to his guardian. "Would you stop shouting at me, please?"

It stopped Snape. The man looked at him, taken aback. After a pause, he said, "Just remember what I've said, if you please." Harry tiredly nodded. Of course, he would remember each and every of the thousands of rules and orders Snape had thrown over him. The man really loved rules.

"On second thought, I should better walk you to these lessons," his guardian continued pensively. "We will start earlier, just after dinner, so we will walk together from the Great Hall. Afterwards, I will accompany you out of the dungeons."

Harry couldn't believe it. The man was actively trying to piss him off; there was no other explanation. Maybe Snape wanted him to be off-balance before their started with Occlumency? Yes, that must be it, Harry decided hopefully. No way he would let himself be accompanied everywhere like a pre-preparatory school kid.

"Sure," Harry agreed amicably, "why not make a complete idiot of me by walking me on a leash?"

Snape's lips thinned. "I'm concerned with your safety, you insufferable brat! To throw it back in my face is the best you can do? Your regular trips here are a perfect occasion for an ambush, so don't you dare to be rude at me for trying to protect your sorry hide."

That made Harry ashamed. His shame mixed with anger made him to turn offensive. "Yeah?  So, what if I'm concerned with your safety too, Snape? People around me keep dying, if you hadn't noticed."

For the second time in this absurd conversation, Snape seemed to be caught speechless. Harry took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Come to the living room," Snape said finally. "I think we will skip the lesson tonight. Don't get used to it!" He immediately added in a harder voice, obviously worried that Harry would consider him getting soft. Harry had to suppress a grin, soft Snape, it was a funny idea. His mood suddenly turned lighter - from the sudden lack of Legilimency tonight, mainly.

Harry sat in his armchair and watched Snape ordering a fruit bowl and chocolate for him. Sometimes he thought Snape should get a fruit bat for a pet - definitely an idea for Christmas, Harry decided - the wizard kept stuffing Harry with fruit obsessively, claiming his growing body needed vitamins and fructose. Who was Harry to object? He had certainly never had enough fruit at the Dursleys, an apple if he was lucky; the House-elves, on the other hand, gave him the most wonderful mixture of the best kinds.

Harry relaxed in the armchair and yawned lazily. No Occlumency! How cool was that?

"You look awfully tired," Snape observed and handed him the treat.

Harry quickly filled his mouth with a big piece of pineapple to buy some time. He didn't want to admit that he struggled to manage everything. No doubt, Snape would suggest Harry dropped Quidditch. Or even more likely Snape wouldn't suggest it, but he would outright order his ward to drop the sport. No way Harry would give up his favourite past time!

Harry needed a diversion. He suddenly remembered the question he had wanted to ask his guardian. "Do you think Pomatia would steal Ron's pet? Pig's missing!"