Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Don't Believe In What Happiness Says

Severus Snape was livid. In all his years of knowing Dumbledore, he had never heard a request that was so preposterous, so nonsensical. What could the fool be thinking? Obviously, about the greater good. Severus knew this ludicrous scheme could only mean one thing; that he was supposed to get to know the boy and then, by a slim chance, become one of his many captivated admirers.

Damn, James Potter.

Even in death the man seemed to still torment him. His feelings towards Harry Potter would not change. He hated the boy. No matter how much Albus Dumbledore planned and schemed to change his mind, he would never swerve his opinion.

The boy would never make a follower out of Severus Snape.

XXXX

Every cell in Harry Potter's body ached.

His mind contemplated the possibility of having to spend almost every night with his father. He couldn't do it and no matter what Professor Dumbledore said, or did, or even forced, he was not going to be taught Occlumency by Professor Snape. To make matters worse, he didn't even know what Occlumency was. So how was he supposed to prepare because he knew that his father was going to ask questions that he didn't know the answer to. His first potions lesson with the man was a testament to that.

Counting the cracks on ceiling, he became nauseous once more and wanted to cry out in fear and frustration. This was supposed to be easy! he thought with spite. However, another voice joined the first and whispered, James Potter never said that it would be.

Damn, James Potter.

His thoughts were interrupted by Madam Pomfrey walking towards him. She had insisted, under much protest from Harry, that he was to stay another night. "For observation," she had said.

As she reached his bedside, she tutted.

"There is no need to glare that way, Mr. Potter. It's only for the best."

"I'm not an animal."

"Then stop acting like one and sit up. There is no use in arguing with me. I am only thinking about your well-being. You gave us quite a scare when you arrived and I do not wish for you to be in that condition again. So if that means that you must stay another night then so be it."

Harry sighed and pulled his legs up to his chest. From the look he was receiving from Madam Pomfrey, he abandoned all hope of remaining small and insignificant. When he had arrived in the magical world, he thought that this was a new chance to start over and not be singled out as the freak everyone felt it was their right to snicker and stare at. Plucking at the covers, he watched as the mediwitch ran her rountine diagnostic spells.

Fixing him with an unreadable expression, Madam Pomfrey gently broached the subject that had been exhausting her conscience for the past couple nights.

"Harry, when you came in a couple of nights ago, I noticed some things that have disturbed me."

Harry froze in terror. He couldn't move or breathe or think. He longed for her to stop but he knew that willing the subject away would only make the future outcome worse.

"Harry, I know this question is going to be hard for you to answer but please do so…How did you get those scars? Specifically, the one on your back…"

"I did it to myself."

XXXX

"Get out of my sight."

The two Hufflepuff third years scrambled out of his office and raced up to the Great Hall. Severus leaned up against the desk and crossed his arms. Sneering with displeasure, he thought back to his previous conversation with the headmaster.

** "Severus, my boy, can I offer you a gummy-bear?"

"A what?"

"A gummy-bear. It's a Muggle delicacy that I developed quite a taste for. They are quite good."

"No, thank you."

Severus stared with a calculating look at the smiling headmaster, who had popped a couple gummy-whatevers into his mouth. He was clearly enjoying watching Severus squirm. He wondered if he planned these meetings out like some hormone-raged school-girl who was planning on breaking up with her latest flame. He knew this could be the only logical explanation for his calm demeanor and all-knowing smile.

"What do you want from me?"

"There is nothing I want from you. However, there is something that I am hoping you will do for me. A favor, as it were."

Ah, Severus thought. I knew this was not an ordinary visit.

"May I hear what this favor is before I agree to it?"

"Ah yes. Now, I am going to be direct in asking you this. How would you say your skills are with Occlumency?"

"The same."

"Would you be willing to pass on your skills to another, shall we say…a Mr. Potter, for example?"**

Dragging a hand down his ragged face, he thought about his impending doom. After leaving that office, he swore and he outright refused to teach that brat about Occlumency. There was no doubt in his mind that the boy would understand it but he knew that understanding it and practicing it were to completely opposite principles. The boy was not an imbecile , he could not deny this fact, but he was not adept to learn anything that wasn't in the books. Occlumency took a certain patience and ability that he knew the boy did not possess.

The boy was too involved in his emotions. As Severus had observed, the boy was too sensitive to negativity and was very passive and insecure. There wasn't any hope for the boy to learn this subject even though, as the scene in the hospital wing suggested, he clearly needed too.

XXXX

" Mr. Potter there is no way that you did those to yourself!"

"I did."

Harry barely restrained himself from running out the door and as far away as he could from the mediwitch.

Madam Pomfrey sighed and said in a weary voice, "Alright. I will drop this for now. However, when you would like to speak to me, you know where to find me." With a sad smile, she left the helpless boy.

Harry laid back on the soft pillows with a small sigh. He thanked Merlin that she had left. He hoped that that subject was closed.

For good.

Smiling at his small victory, Harry looked over at his nightstand and saw all of his books and a sheet of parchment with his assignments written on it. He wondered who would do this. Certainly not Ron because Ron couldn't even remember to tie his shoes in the morning much less what was assigned during class. He always came to Harry for that. It couldn't have been Trinti. One: the handwriting was too small and too neat for it to be hers and Two: she never wrote notes. He shrugged his shoulders. It didn't matter to him at all really, as long as he got his assignments.

He had started to tackle his assignments when the doors opened to reveal a bushy haired girl. She was walking timidly over to his bedside. She looked like she came straight from the library, with her schoolbag slung over her shoulder and her arms full of books. Harry raised his eyebrow. 'What was she doing here?' He wondered when she came up to his side and gave him a small smile.

"Hi. I don't know if you remember me but we met on the train. My names Hermione Granger."

Harry stared. Of course he remembered her. However, he couldn't understand why she was here now….

"Um, hi. Sure I remember you. I was just wondering why you are here?"

"Oh! I was…um…coming to ask how you were doing…." she trailed off shyly. It was obvious that she wasn't as bold as she acted that day on the train.

"I told your friend Ron you were here. He and that other girl were going mad, wondering where you were. They came to visit you by the way."

"Thanks."

Looking down at Harry's books, Hermione blushed and looked at her feet. Harry also looked down at his books wondering why she was acting so shy. Oh! She must have been the one to give me my assignments. She was a book worm after all. She was in the library as much as he was.

"Were you the one to bring me my assignments?"

Blushing even more, she quietly replied, "Yes. I got Ronald to bring your books but I wrote down the assignments for you. I thought that you would like that. I noticed that you are really focused on your grades and I didn't want you to fall behind."

Harry smiled. He liked that she has done that. He was already upset that he missed the class, he didn't want to fall behind more by not getting what he needed done.

"Thanks." Feeling like he should say more he added, "Um…its alright if you don't want to…but I was wondering if maybe you could help me with some of this… since I missed class and all. I really really don't want to fall behind, like you said…But its okay if you don't want to…"

She seemed to brighten. "Oh! That would be fine. I don't mind. I would love to help. What are friends for?" Realizing what she had said she blushed and looked chagrined.

"Thanks. I could use a FRIEND'S help. Especially one that knows what they are talking about…"

Laughing, they set to work on both of their assignments.

XXXX

Hours passed and Harry and Hermione were just finishing up a good majority of their homework. Harry liked to work with her. She was really smart but the only drawback was that she was so excited about learning that she seemed arrogant about it. Harry got to know her some because while they were working, he asked her questions and she did the same for him. He was looking forward to working with her more often. Maybe they could hang out as well. But he didn't want to push it.

"I should go. I don't want to be out after curfew." Hermione gathered her books and waved good-bye, wishing him to get well soon. Harry didn't know this but Hermione was ecstatic that she had made her first friend. She was always ridiculed because people assumed that she was arrogant and a know-it-all but she wasn't. She was just really shy and didn't know how to go about making new friends. She was very far from home.

Harry smiled. Maybe having a know-it-all for a friend wasn't so bad…

XXXX

The next morning Harry ran to the washroom and jumped into the shower. As he climbed out, he heard a knock on the door.

With a mouth full of toothpaste, he slurred, "Ya?"

"Mr. Potter you have a few visitors. Hurry up, boy."

" 'Kay."

Spitting the toothpaste out and wiping his face clean. He took one last look at himself and sighed at his hopeless reflection. He should really eat something. Ugh, maybe not yet, he thought as his stomach protested to the thought of food. He cautiously opened the door to see Ron and Trinti sitting in chairs next to his bed, whispering to each other. He smiled and opened the door fully and slammed it shut. He walked over, snickering at Ron and Trinti, who practically wet their pants at the sound of the slamming door.

"Oi! What was that for?"

Trinti elbowed Ron in the ribs and shush him. "Hey Harry! How are you feeling?"

"Amused."

Harry smiled at Ron, who was glaring at him for scaring him. "Whatever, Harry. That wasn't funny."

"Your right Ron."

Ron threw a satisfied look at Trinti. "Next time, don't shush me."

"ANYWAYS, moving on to more important subjects besides Ron's ego," Trinti said as Ron rolled his eyes at her, "when do you get released?"

"Now, in fact." The trio jumped at the sound of Madam Pomfrey's voice, she seemed to appear out of nowhere. "Let me check you over once more, Mr. Potter, and then I will let you go have breakfast with your friends."

Harry groaned as Madam Pomfrey did her final checkup. When she finished, she warned him that if anything happened to him again to come to her immediately. Harry thanked her and was about to reach the door when she added, "Remember what I said last night, Mr. Potter."

His eyes widened and rushed out the doors. He hoped that he never had to face her again.

"What did she say last night, Harry?"

"Nothing important. Come on. I'm starving."

"That's a first."

This time it was Ron's turn to elbow Trinti in the ribs and shush her.

XXXX

Severus Snape was so absurdly tired. He couldn't think straight. It was only the first week of November and he already felt like he needed a vacation. He knew that he felt so tired because of his lack of sleep. Before, his dreams had been the only place of escape for him. In dreams, he could choose what he wanted to be and not think about the consequences of that choice. However, his dreams were now constantly being plagued by haunting images from the past. Images and visions that were like a horror film. No matter how scary the dream became, he couldn't seem to look away, or in his case, wake up.

He toyed with the idea of going to Albus for guidance but shrugged off the idea. Severus knew from experience that asking Albus Dumbledore for guidance would only complicate the situation, even if the situation wasn't that complicated to begin with. It didn't matter how much Albus Dumbledore frustrated him, Severus couldn't bring himself to hate him. Dumbledore had shown him kindness and mercy even when he knew that he absolutely didn't deserve it.

I'm just glad that it is the weekend, Severus mused. He wasn't looking forward to Monday.

Severus snarled at the potions ingredients on the wall beside him. He outright told Albus that he was not going to teach the Potter boy. So, naturally, lessons with the boy would begin on Monday. There was simply not a way to make the man see reason. Without saying a word, Albus Dumbledore had managed to convince him into these hopeless lessons.

He couldn't bring himself to hate Dumbledore. However, he could hate everything that the man made him do.