Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 14 – Ill or Not Ill

"What do you mean I won't kill him? Of course I will. That's what the prophecy says."

"No, that is not what the prophecy says. It was merely referring to your status as a Horcrux. Albus has told you about them, right?" Severus asked.

"Yes, he did. He told me that all the Horcruxes are destroyed except Nagini and me."

"Nagini will die soon. I made sure of that. You will be the last one. That is where this comes into action." Severus pointed to the Animagus book. "If you can manage to transform into an Animagus, Albus can extract the Dark Lord's soul from you and destroy it. The Horcrux cannot combine itself with an Animagus' soul, and it will be separated. Once we destroy this last Horcrux, the Dark Lord will be mortal again."

"And then I will kill him," Harry whispered deep in thought. He cried out when Severus grabbed him forcefully and shook him.

"You will not, do you understand me? You are a child! Such a thing would destroy you or change you into something like the Dark Lord."

Harry was shocked. "But he has to die!"

"Yes, he must die, but you will not be the one to kill him. Let Albus or Alastor do it. They can handle the guilt of killing someone. You will just be there to distract the Dark Lord. Your main task will be to stay alive!"

It was as if a stone was lifted from his chest. "I don't have to kill him?" Harry whispered, unbelievingly.

"No, you do not have to. You will not try to, Harry. Swear to me!" Severus still held Harry by the arms.

Harry stared at him. Severus looks so lost and desperate. Why is it so important to him? "Why?"

"I already told you. Such an act would destroy you."

"No, I mean why do you care?

Severus stared at Harry not knowing what to say. "I need you to take care of Poppy and Alastor."

"You can do that yourself. You have the emergency Portkey. It will get you out."

"It does not work in the presence of the Dark Lord."

"But you said he would ‘play'-Harry made a disgusted face-with you for some. You can use it when he isn't around."

"I will not risk his attack before you are ready."

"I will be ready, Severus. Please, I need you!"

"Harry, I have nothing to live for after this war." He sighed shakily. "I am a bitter old man with no future."

"That's not true. You are warm-hearted and kind. Otherwise you wouldn't try to help me and you wouldn't risk your life for me."

"I risk my life to give those I love a better future, Harry. With you on their side, they will not feel so alone and they will soon stop mourning me."

"No, I won't do it!"

"What?" Severus said, eyes narrowed.

"I said I won't do it. I won't take care of Poppy and Alastor. You have to do it yourself. I will train hard, and I will be ready when he comes. I won't need the time you would give me by letting him torture you."

Severus grabbed Harry's collar. "You do not know the Dark Lord, Harry! You have no idea what he will do to me! It would be an awful life for me afterwards."

"Poppy will make you healthy again and then we can all live a happy life here. I always wanted a family, and you want to take it away from me. You belong to this family."

Severus was too stunned to say anything.

"Give me your promise that you will use the Portkey if it is possible, and I will give you my promise not to kill the Dark Lord by myself and to take care of Poppy and Alastor if you aren't able to do it yourself," Harry said, determined, and held his hand out. It looked odd. Harry hardly had space to stretch his hand in Severus' direction because the man was still holding him by his collar.

"You do not know what you are asking from me, Harry," Severus said sadly.

The room was silent for a while and Harry's hand became heavy. Just when he wanted to let it sink, Severus grabbed it. "Deal," he whispered.

Harry felt guilty. A feeling I have to get used to, he thought. Severus looked so broken and sad. Maybe I really have no idea what I'm asking from him, but I don't want to lose him, Harry thought miserably.

Severus pulled his cold mask up and said, "Learn the spells and try to become an Animagus. Albus will contact you tomorrow and speak with you about the training."

Before Harry could reply, Severus was out the door.

The next morning, Harry felt very exhausted. He had hardly slept. He had seen the sad and lost expression on Severus' face in front of him the whole night, and the guilt was eating a big hole in his stomach.

When Poppy came to check on him, he could not concentrate, and so his pulse was almost normal. Poppy sighed, relieved, but after watching Harry during breakfast, her worry rose again. "Are you sure you are feeling fine?"

"Yes," Harry said absently.

"Albus will come and visit you in an hour, Harry," Alastor tried to cheer the boy up.

"Okay," Harry said in the same tired tone he spoke in the whole morning. Poppy and Alastor exchanged worried glances.

"Did you sleep okay, lad?" Alastor asked.

Harry's head jerked up. "Yes! Why do you ask?"

"You're behaving weirdly. If you had any nightmares, I would like to know, Harry. Talking about it could help," Alastor tried to convince Harry to open up.

"No, I'm fine. I'm just...I think I'm just tired." He pushed his cereals indifferently around the bowl.

"You shouldn't feel tired, Harry. I'm sorry, but I'll have to take some tests," Poppy said.

"No! I'm fine. Really, Poppy," Harry pleaded.

"No arguing, Harry. Please go to the toilet with Alastor. I need a urine sample, and then I will see you in your room."

"Urine sample?" Harry became green. "I've never had to do something like that. Please, I swear I'm fine," Harry said. He was scared. Who knows what kinds of tests there will be?

"It's nothing bad or embarrassing. Alastor will show you what to do. Off you go," Poppy said with her no-nonsense voice and ushered Harry out of the kitchen. Alastor was shortly behind him.

"I already went to the loo, Alastor. I can't...." Harry looked pleadingly at Alastor.

"Poppy doesn't need much. Merlin, lad, you just have to pee in a small cup, nothing more." Alastor took one of the little blue stones that decorated the bathroom and transfigured it in a plastic cup. "Try you best," he said while handing Harry the cup.

Five minutes later, Harry lay in his bed waiting anxiously for Poppy. She came in with a tray of potions and a syringe. Harry's eyes went wide. "No, Poppy, I'm fine."

"You aren't fine, Harry. I need a blood sample to check for any problems. After that, you can rest," Poppy said in a tone that left no argument.

Harry looked fearfully at the needle. He could remember having a blood test in primary school, and it was awful.

"You want to fight Voldemort, but you're afraid of a small needle?" Alastor asked teasingly to lighten the mood.

"I would prefer Voldemort at the moment," Harry mumbled.

Poppy shook her head and sighed. "Really, Harry, it's not that bad." She already prepared his arm by cleaning it with alcohol. "Just a little prick and it will be over." With one hand, she held Harry's arm tight, and with the other she placed the needle near a vein.

Harry tried to pull his arm away when he felt the needle break through his skin, but she had him in a death grip.

"Try to relax, Harry, or it will hurt," Poppy instructed.

How can someone relax while getting a needle in his arm? Harry thought sullenly. He felt like a baby. A war is coming, and he was whining about a needle.

"All done, Harry," Poppy said calmingly. "Drink this. It will help you to sleep."

"But the Headmaster wanted to come. Please, Poppy, I would like to speak with him."

"This has to wait until late afternoon. Drink, Harry."

Oh, fantastic, now I have no time to read and all just because they think I'm ill, Harry thought desperately while taking the potion vial from Poppy. He wanted to open his mouth to argue again when he saw her face. There was no chance of her changing her opinion, so Harry gulped down the contents of the vials.