Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 23 – The Horcrux

~*~

"But you are a hellhound now, Harry. Would a hellhound be interested in a Snitch?"

"Ehm...damn, Severus, now I notice when I say it," Harry said, annoyed.

"That is the reason I told you. Maybe you will learn proper English now," Severus teased Harry again.

"But what would a hellhound be interested in?" Harry asked.

"Am I the hellhound or you?" Severus said and rolled his eyes. "Let's go back. Alastor is probably checking to see how long we have been away."

"Okay," Harry said and followed Severus. He had to run to keep up with Severus' long strides. On his way back to his quarters, he thought about a good thing to concentrate on while in his Animagus form.

~*~

Alastor had calmed down when they had returned, and so Harry could practice Occlumency in his Animagus form in peace.

What would be interesting for a hellhound? Harry wondered. He tried several things, but finally, he decided to stay with a piece of meat. Harry had hoped he would find another thing to concentrate on because he was sick of the Drying Spell he always had to use on his bed after he had drooled all over it. Nevertheless, it was a good thing to concentrate on, and Harry hoped Alastor would not see drooling as a sign of him being in danger when Albus tried to extract the fragment of Voldemort's soul from his body. Tomorrow I will tell Severus that he can ask Alastor about the extraction. I hope Alastor will agree, and I can get rid of it for good, Harry thought. It was bothering him a lot that he had a part of Voldemort's soul inside him. It was as if Voldemort was with him in his room or wherever he was. I'm starting to become paranoid, Harry thought, annoyed.

________________

After their typical morning bickering and Alastor's scolding the next day, Harry told Severus that he had succeeded in his training. Severus promised to speak with Alastor and Poppy immediately. After a long thirty minutes, Severus knocked at Harry's door.

"Come in," Harry said and looked hopefully at Severus when he entered.

"It was a bit of a fight, but they agreed. I will go and speak with Albus now. We should probably do it after lunch and your nap when you are most rested and content. That will help you through the procedure," Severus explained.

"Okay, I will just read a bit of the spell book then," Harry said and grabbed for his book.

"Do that, but also rest as much as possible, Harry," Severus said seriously.

"I will," Harry said and lay back to read his book.

________________

At three o'clock, Poppy, Alastor, Severus, Albus, and Harry were standing in the training room. This time it looked different. In the middle of the room were five massive metal boards. Four were building a quad and one was inside the quad, but close to the imaginary out line of it. The four corners of the quad each had a medium-sized shackle attached and one board had an additional big shackle. Harry knew that the bigger one was for his head and the smaller ones for his feet. He could not stop himself from gulping. Severus stood close to him, and Harry snuggled even closer the moment he caught eye of the shackles.

"You will make it, Harry," Severus said gently and placed his arm around Harry's shoulders.

"Harry, I would like to explain the circumstances to you," Albus said.

"No, wait please, Albus," Alastor said and then turned to his wife. "You should go now, Poppy. We will call you the moment Harry needs your help."

"No, I will stay," Poppy said determinedly.

Alastor cupped Poppy's face in his big hands. "You don't want to see this, my dear. I promise to call you the moment it is over. You can't help Harry during this procedure, and it would only hurt you to watch. You know you can trust me. I will take care of him."

Poppy started to cry, and Alastor kissed one of her tears away. "Go now, my love."

On her way out of the room, she stopped in front of Severus and Harry. She hugged Harry. "Please don't do anything foolish."

"I promise," Harry croaked.

"Take care of him, Severus," Poppy said and brushed his arm.

"I will," Severus said seriously.

"Okay, Harry, I will explain to you how we will proceed," Albus said when Poppy had left the room. "First, we will make a dry run of where we will shackle your feet. If you can accept this, we will shackle your head as well. We will start the procedure only when you are able to remain calm in this position. You cannot give us any signs if you want to stop, so we have to go based on our own judgment. Under no circumstances must you try to change into your human form. You would hurt yourself physically and mentally. Do you have any questions?"

Harry could hardly breathe and would prefer to never leave Severus' side. "It looks quite scary," Harry whispered.

"You don't have to do it, Harry," Alastor said and came over to him.

"I want to, Alastor. Please don't stop if I fight or whine. I trust Albus to know when to stop."

"As you wish, my boy," Alastor said seriously, and Harry thought he could hear a bit of pride in his voice.

"Why do you have to shackle my head?" Harry asked.

"You could try to bite yourself," Albus explained.

"Oh," Harry said, scared, but nevertheless went into the quad. "I want no dry run. If I don't fight it, just go on."

"We will see, Harry. If you have no more questions, please transform," Albus instructed.

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry could see Severus stepping backwards and Alastor stepping protectively in front of him. At first, Harry was hurt because he thought that they thought he would harm them, but then he remembered Severus' experience with Remus in his wolf form. Harry turned to look at Severus. "You can leave if you want."

"Not necessary," Severus answered and tried to look confident.

Harry turned away and transformed. The smells were immediately overpowering him. Fear was everywhere in the room. Not fear of him but fear of this whole situation. It made the hellhound even more nervous, and Harry tried to calm the hellhound within him. Never had he felt separated from his Animagus form. Merlin, I hope this will work. He thought about changing back, but the old man had already started to shackle his front legs.

It was hard to fight against the feeling of being trapped. It was awful and it cost Harry all his will power to not thrash in the shackles. He wanted this to be over, but successfully over. His tongue was lolling out, and he hackled uncontrollably. A crazy sound filled the room, and Harry needed a few seconds to realize that the very high whimpering was his own.

Albus was now at his back legs. The hellhound's limbs were shaking badly. Merlin, I don't know how to do this. It's horrible. Suddenly, someone took his head in his hands, and Harry almost panicked because he was not ready to have his head shackled, but it was Alastor's face that was in front of his at the moment.

"You will be okay, Harry. I'm here, and I will protect you. Do you hear me? I will protect you. You are not alone," Alastor said, determined, and looked deep into the hellhound's red eyes.

Harry calmed down a bit and the whimpering stopped. His legs did not shake as much as before, but they did not stop completely.

"Okay, Harry. Albus will place the shackle around your neck now, and when you are calm, we will go on. Nod when you are comfortable with that," Alastor ordered.

Harry nodded. Please, let me have the power for this all, Harry pleaded.

The shackle around his neck was very tight and it drew his head downwards. Harry had the feeling his legs would not hold him up any longer. The shaking was uncontrollable and claustrophobia overcame him. Harry could hear Severus' voice very close to him. He must have leaned over because Harry could feel Severus' forehead against his. "You have to concentrate Harry. Remember what we spoke about. You have to focus now. Do not let the fear overcome you. Focus, Harry!"

Harry focused. The big piece of meat was lying directly in front of him. He could feel the drool form in his mouth. He had forgotten everything around him and the pain he felt now stuck him by surprise.

He had not heard Albus' warning that he was starting, but it would not have mattered. The pain was excruciating. It was as if his internal organs were burning and his bones were splitting. The shock caused his Occlumency shield to waver. Immediately, a feeling of unbearable sadness overcame him. It was more awful than the physical pain. Harry's brain was still functional, and so he knew that this was the Horcrux trying to anchor itself to a strong feeling. Harry tried to put his Occlumency shield up again. After a few very energy-costing attempts, he succeeded. The physical pain was still there. The hellhound snapped around wildly. He did not know who was causing him this pain, but he wanted it to stop, and he would bite anyone who came close enough. Harry had no time to worry about his lack of union with his Animagus. He was busy holding his shield up and not passing out from the pain. Only the hope that it would end soon allowed him to stay conscious.

Eventually, his legs gave out, and he had stopped snapping wildly in the air. He only whimpered in pain and fought to remain conscious.

A hand released his head shackle, and he wondered why they let him loose while still applying the pain. When his legs were free as well, he curled into a tight ball. Merlin, let the pain stop. Why won't it stop?

He was pulled on someone's lap and howled in pain. "It's okay, Harry. It's over. Please change back. Oh, please change back, my boy." Liquid dropped down on Harry's face, and he blinked tiredly, still in his Animagus form. Everything was blurred, and he could not see the figure that was gently rocking him, but he did not need to see him to know that it was Alastor. He also did not have to see to know that the liquid that was dropping on his face was Alastor's tears. Never had he seen this strong and powerful man cry; it could only mean that they were unsuccessful. Sadly, Harry closed his hellhound eyes.

He vaguely noticed the monotone repetition of Alastor's "Please" or "Please change back, my boy!", but he was too tired and sad that they had failed.

A second voice joined the noises around him. It was Poppy's voice full of panic. "Why isn't he changing back? I can't help him like this."

"Calm down, Poppy," Severus' soft voice said. Shortly after, Harry could feel his hands on him. "Let me see him, Alastor. Please, you must let go of him." The arms around him tightened even more and the rocking increased. "Damn, do something with Alastor, Poppy. I have to check Harry," Severus said worriedly.

Moments later, Harry felt the embrace relax, and Severus took his head in his hands. "Harry, open you eyes!" Severus ordered strictly. He knew that this voice always worked with Harry.

Harry reluctantly opened his eyes. "You have to change back so that Poppy can give you something for the pain. I know you are still feeling it. The moment you change back, we can do something about it."

Sadly, Harry tried to close his eyes again. What was it worth if Voldemort's soul was still inside him? "Potter, you will stay conscious, or I will shake you until you use your brain again. We were successful, and I will not let it be for nothing because you finally gave up," Severus said angrily, but Harry's hellhound senses could hear the panic and worry.

We were successful? Did he say we were successful? Now Harry was wide awake. The hope came back, and he tried to stand up. Immediately, he was overwhelmed by a new wave of pain.

"Change back, Harry," Severus ordered again.

When the pain had ebbed a bit, Harry transformed.

"Oh, thanks Merlin, I have you back," Alastor whispered and hugged him tightly again.

Harry winced in pain, and Poppy immediately cast another Calming Charm on Alastor. "Remember that he is in pain, Alastor!"

"It is out?" Harry croaked. He wondered if anyone understood him because his voice was so broken.

"Yes, it is out and destroyed, Harry," Albus said and looked worriedly down on him.

Harry sighed, relieved. After drinking the many potions Poppy gave him, Harry drifted off to sleep as the pain lessened.

Chapter End Notes:
Please leave me a review!