Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Dear readers,

thank you all who reviewed. You will never know how important that is for me.

Only 3 chapters left.

Sunny

Chapter 25 – The Inevitable

~*~

"And again, we are at our sensitive issue." Severus sighed. "But we were talking about Alastor. I have only seen him like this once. He blamed himself for not stopping it sooner, and if you had lost your mind, he would have never forgiven himself. When I held him back, he fought me only half-heartily. I think he knew that you wanted to continue, and so he failed to put up much of a fight." Severus paused shortly. "It was what you wanted, right? It was right that we did not stop?"

Looking at Severus' very worried face, Harry said reassuring, "It was exactly what I wanted, Severus. Don't rack your brain about it. It was bearable, and I would have been very disappointed if you had stopped."

Severus leaned back in his chair and relaxed. Maybe this was the reason he looked so tired. He could not sleep because he was worried that they had overtaxed Harry. Now that he knew they had made everything all right, a huge burden was lifted from his chest.

"Maybe you should go to sleep in your own bed, Severus. You look very tired. I'll try to sleep until Poppy comes."

"I will sleep here until Poppy takes over," Severus said, determined. He moved the back of his armchair further down and lay back. "However, sleep sounds very good." Severus closed his eyes, and Harry did the same.

~*~

The next time Harry woke up, Poppy was sitting beside him.

"Where is Severus?" Harry asked while struggling wake completely.

"Sleeping in his bed. He watched over you the whole night. I couldn't convince him to leave your side. I only let him stay because he promised to sleep during the day."

"And Alastor?" Harry asked worriedly. He did not know how the wizard would react when they would met next time. What should he do? Ask him about his strong reaction? Severus had already explained to him why Alastor had cried, and Harry did not feel the need to hear it from Alastor. Maybe he was embarrassed about it or maybe he would even try to avoid him. Harry hoped that would not be the case. He needed Alastor as much as he needed Poppy and Severus. They were his family now.

"Back to his old self, Harry. I hope you don't think badly of him. Showing tears because of worry or luck isn't weakness. You know that you belong to our little family now," Poppy explained calmly.

"I know, Poppy. I don't think he is weak. Severus already told me what happened while I was in my Animagus form. I'm glad to belong to your family, and you are all so important to me. That's why I'm so worried that Severus will die."

"I know, Harry," Poppy said and gently stroked Harry's cheek. "We all are worried about him, but we are also very worried about you. Severus is an adult and I know he can take care of himself in a battle, but I'm worried about you. Alastor told me how good you are in your spell training." Poppy chuckled, remembering Alastor's praise. "He is very proud of you. You should hear him talk. Harry this, Harry that; even Severus joins in. That gives me hope even though I hate that you are training. I wished you could have the normal life of a boy your age." Poppy eyes filled with tears, and Harry reached for her cheek.

"Maybe one day I can, Poppy. I just want Severus to be there as well, and then I can finally learn everything I want from him," Harry said sadly.

"Yes, I want him here as well. There is still hope, Harry," Poppy said, determined. "Oh, what kind of Mediwitch I am? You've been awake for over ten minutes now, and I haven't cast a diagnostic spell." She chuckled insecurely to hide her concern over this sensitive topic.

It was not discussed again for the next few days. Harry recovered quickly and he began training again after three days. His next meeting with Alastor was shortly after Poppy had cast her diagnostic spell and it had not been awkward at all.

Flashback

"I'm not ashamed of my tears, Harry," Alastor said the moment Poppy had left the room to arrange breakfast. "I was very worried that you had lost your mind and would be stuck in your Animagus form. I felt guilty for not stopping Albus. I know Severus told you that he was holding me back, but if I really wanted to, I would have stopped Albus." Alastor looked guiltily down.

"I know, Alastor. In a fight between you and Albus, I would bet on you," Harry said, and grinned to cheer Alastor up.

Alastor chuckled. "Yes, the old codger would never stand a chance against me."

"I'm glad you didn't stop him. The fragment of Voldemort's soul is gone now, and we only have to worry about Nagini and Voldemort himself now," Harry said cheerfully. He could not describe the relief he felt.

"Didn't Severus tell you?" Alastor asked, puzzled.

"What?" Harry asked curiously and sat up.

"He poisoned Nagini. She is dying slowly; it cannot be undone."

"But won't Voldmort find out that Severus did it?"

Alastor remained quiet and watched Harry closely.

Eventually Harry added two and two together. "That's why he'll be revealed as a spy?"

"Maybe you should talk with him about this and not me, Harry." It was clear that Alastor felt uncomfortable about it.

"I don't think I have to talk with him at all. What good would it do? It doesn't matter what causes Severus' revelation; it will always be about me," Harry said miserably.

"Harry, stop! Severus wouldn't want to hear you say that. He has his own battle with Voldemort. It's not all because of you, even though it seems that Severus has adopted you as his little brother as much as we have adopted you as our son in our hearts. He would do anything to protect you."

"Even die," Harry said sullenly.

"Yes, even die, Harry. We all would, and you would do so for us. That's what families feel towards each other, Harry."

"Oh, Alastor," Harry said while tears ran down his cheeks. He threw himself at the old man and sobbed. "I wish it would all be over and we could live without this stupid battle and without worrying about who will survive and who won't."

"I know, my boy, and if all goes well, we will live to see that one day," Alastor said and pulled Harry on his lap, gently rocking him. Sometimes even little heroes need support like this, and Harry did not protest.

End of Flashback

His spell training went well as always, and Harry felt more confident then ever. He even managed to cast a Disarming Charm on both his mentors and caught Severus in a Binding Hex as well. If looks could kill, Harry and Alastor, who could not suppress their laugher, would be dead.

The Twilight training was going so well that after two weeks, they did not have to train it anymore. Harry had more time for his Potions lessons with Severus. As much as he hated the reason for Severus' motivation to teach him Healing Potions, Harry loved to learn them and spend time with Severus in the potions lab. Severus was teaching him all this so that Harry could take his place and help Poppy when Severus was no longer capable or dead.

Harry learned a lot from Severus. He was speechless when Severus gave him a Potions book as a present and showed him how to add personal information to it. "No potion is perfect, Harry. There is always something you can do better. This book is not holy, so you should write down every single idea or successful change you make. Those ideas that are revealed to be useless can be easily erased," Severus had explained while showing Harry the spell to erase notes out of the book.

So Harry had his own book about medical potions and had noted many pieces of advice Severus had given him in it. Even the Wolfsbane Potion was in it, and Harry could brew it flawlessly.

At home, as Harry called Alastor's and Poppy's quarters now, Harry felt safe and happy. Sometimes he even forgot the danger of the upcoming war and just enjoyed the family time. The usual bickering between him and Severus at breakfast, Alastor's scolding, Poppy's affection towards Harry and Severus, playing cards or board games together in the evening, and reading together in the living room where only a few of Harry's favorite family activities. It was just perfect, and Harry was happy, but Harry was never very lucky. After three peaceful weeks, the inevitable happened.

It was breakfast and they were planning the day when Severus doubled over in pain. He clutched his forearm and hissed, "Call Albus!"

Poppy was at his side immediately. Her eyes filled with tears, and this time she did not try to hide them. They ran down her cheeks as she held Severus tightly.

Harry was stuck in his seat in shock, and Alastor went to the fireplace to call for Albus who was standing in the room minutes later. There was no twinkle in his eyes, and Harry felt as if they were already at Severus' funeral.

Severus gained control of his body and stood up. Poppy was breaking down, and Alastor was having trouble supporting her. His own face was as white as a sheet.

Severus went over to Albus and steadied himself heavily on the old man. His long hair was hiding his face, and he pressed his left arm tightly to his body. "It's time to go," he said heavily.

"You don't have to, Severus," Albus said with pain in his voice.

"Yes, I do. Please, take care of him, Albus. Promise that he will survive," Severus croaked as if every word hurt him.

Albus glanced over at Harry, who still looked shocked at the scene in front of him. "I will, Severus. I will do all I can to help him. If you want, I'll make a Vow."

"No, that is not necessary. I trust you. I always have." Severus paused shortly as if it cost him a lot of energy to breathe. "Just keep him safe for me," Severus said. He looked over to Harry; his eyes were already lifeless. He won't come back, Harry thought desperately. His eyes filled with tears, and the lump in his throat hurt badly.

"I think I should go," Severus said and tried to stumble over to the door, but Albus gently held him back.

"You should say good-bye, Severus. I hope we will see each other again and that you will be able to use the Portkey. I'm sorry I didn't found a solution to make it work in Voldemort's presence. Remember that there are people who want you back no matter what. We will take care of you. Say good-bye to your family. I will inform the Order." With a last reassuring squeeze of Severus' shoulder, Albus left through the fireplace.

Poppy was sobbing helplessly, and Alastor was at a loss of words.

Severus did not know what to say. His forearm hurt and the pain was blinding him. He had to go. Sadly, he looked at the two adults that meant the world to him. "We will see each other again someday, right, Alastor?" He tried to grin, but it was a grimace of pain.

"I would prefer to see you again back here in this life, my boy. Come back to us when you can." Tears were running down Alastor's cheeks like little rivers. Poppy's face was hidden in Alastor's chest, and when Severus laid his right hand on her shoulder, the sobbing came even harder. Severus looked down sadly, but before he could draw his hand back, a heavy one was laid over it. "Come back to us, son," Alastor said and looked deep into Severus' eyes.

Severus averted his gaze and his glance fell on Harry. "Remember what you promised, Harry. I am very proud of how well you did so far." Then he left faster than Harry could blink.