Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 26 – Coming Back

~*~

"I think I should go," Severus said and tried to stumble over to the door, but Albus gently held him back.

"You should say good-bye, Severus. I hope we will see each other again and that you will be able to use the Portkey. I'm sorry I didn't found a solution to make it work in Voldemort's presence. Remember that there are people who want you back no matter what. We will take care of you. Say good-bye to your family. I will inform the Order." With a last reassuring squeeze of Severus' shoulder, Albus left through the fireplace.

Poppy was sobbing helplessly, and Alastor was at a loss of words.

Severus did not know what to say. His forearm hurt and the pain was blinding him. He had to go. Sadly, he looked at the two adults that meant the world to him. "We will see each other again someday, right, Alastor?" He tried to grin, but it was a grimace of pain.

"I would prefer to see you again back here in this life, my boy. Come back to us when you can." Tears were running down Alastor's cheeks like little rivers. Poppy's face was hidden in Alastor's chest, and when Severus laid his right hand on her shoulder, the sobbing came even harder. Severus looked down sadly, but before he could draw his hand back, a heavy one was laid over it. "Come back to us, son," Alastor said and looked deep into Severus' eyes.

Severus averted his gaze and his glance fell on Harry. "Remember what you promised, Harry. I am very proud of how well you did so far." Then he left faster than Harry could blink.

~*~

Harry was in shock. Albus had come back with Remus, Tonks, and Kingsley, and Remus had taken Harry to his bedroom. "You should sleep, Harry. There is nothing you can do now, and you should get as much rest as possible before we have to prepare for the battle. We will have about four or five days if Severus does not come back-"

"How can you say that as if you hope that he won't come back?!" Harry shouted and sat up in the bed, glaring at Remus.

"That was not what I meant, Harry. You have to believe me. I would prefer that he uses the Portkey as much as you. Nobody wants him dead or to suffer more than necessary. At least, nobody on our side. What I wanted to say was that at the most you have four days to prepare, but maybe the battle will even start tomorrow. You must be as rested as possible. You understand?"

Harry calmed down and lay back. "Yes."

"Good, then try to rest as much as possible. I cannot give you a Sleeping Potion because we don't know when we will have to fight. Try to sleep, Harry, as difficult as it is," Remus said gently.

"Okay," Harry said and turned to the wall.

"We will be in the living room if you need anything," Remus said and left the room.

Sleep, as if I could sleep now, Harry thought bitterly. All his thoughts were with Severus. What would await him, and how much would he have to suffer?

Harry turned into his Animagus form in the hopes that it would soothe him a bit and that he could hear what the adults were talking about. They're leaving me out again, even though I have to fight with them side by side, Harry thought bitterly. It felt better to be the hellhound, and Harry curled himself up on the bed. Unfortunately, the adults had placed a Silencing Charm on the room, so Harry could not hear a word of their conversation. At one point, Harry actually fell asleep.

The next morning was horrible. Harry had the feeling that Severus' empty chair was screaming because of his absence. Alastor and Poppy tried to act as if nothing was wrong. Poppy had dried her tears, and Alastor had his normal color back. Or perhaps both could cast excellent Glamour Charms. Harry felt sick. He did not want to eat anything, but again he was reminded that he would need energy for the upcoming battle.

Albus showed up in the afternoon. "A word please, Harry." They both went to Harry's room. "I wanted to speak with you about what could happen," Albus said seriously.

Harry had sat down on the bed and drew his legs to his body, hugging them tightly. He nodded, and so Albus went on. "If Severus comes back, we may be able to learn about Voldemort's plans, but Severus might not be able to give us any information." Harry shuddered, but listened attentively. "And there is still the possibility that he will not return," Albus said grievingly.

Harry hid his face in his knees.

"Whatever happens, you have to be ready to fight at any moment. You still remember how we planned to go through the battle?" Albus asked.

"Of course," Harry said without looking up.

"Good. I fear all we can do at the moment is wait and you should use all the time to train."

"Yes, sir," Harry said sadly.

______________

Two days had passed with no word from Severus. Harry still had hope, but it lessened with each passing hour. Poppy tried to hide her worry-or was it grief? Alastor was restless and hardly spoke. From time to time, he laid a hand on Harry's shoulder or ruffled his hair.

It was late afternoon when a sudden pop and screams filled the living room. Poppy and Harry had sat on the couch and were reading, and Alastor had carved another of the little figures that stood above the fireplace.

On his way to Severus, who was wriggling in pain on the floor, Alastor unceremoniously shoved Harry in the direction of the fireplace with the instruction to call Albus.

Harry did as he was told automatically. He heard Severus' screams of agony behind him and did not dare to glance backwards. "I'm a bloody Squib," "useless scum," and "Why did you make me come back?" where boring deep holes in his chest.

When Harry had finished Alastor's request, he slowly turned, afraid of what he would see. Albus passed him before he even glanced at Severus, but eventually he did catch sight of the bloody, screaming mess on the floor. Alastor was holding the struggling Potions Master, and Poppy tried her best to wave her wand over Severus. "Severus, please calm down so that I can cast a Diagnostic Spell," Poppy pleaded with him in a stern voice. No tears were running down her cheeks. She was in full Healer mode. Alastor was again white like a sheet as he pressed Severus to his chest.

Severus' clothes were in shreds and everything was covered in blood. Harry gagged when his gaze fell on Severus' hands. His formerly long, elegant fingers that were perfect for brewing potions were now sticking out at awkward angles. Each finger was broken in several places.

"Severus, calm down," Albus said and knelt down beside Severus.

It was as if a switch was flipped. Severus went rigged. "I have to report," he mumbled and turned to Albus.

"No, my boy, first we need to get you healed," Albus said and resisted to urge to cup Severus' cheek. He did not want to hurt him more.

"Healed?" Severus spat bitterly and started to laugh hysterically. "I cannot be healed any more. Look at my hands. I cannot even feel them. The Dark Lord has taken everything from me. My magic, my hands, everything...."

"No, my boy, you still have your family and your friends," Albus said sadly.

"I will be a burden for them," Severus said desperately.

"Don't say that, Severus! Poppy will get you back to your normal self, you will see," Alastor said, not very convincing.

When Severus started to thrash again, Poppy said, "You wanted to report to Albus, Severus?"

This brought the result she had hoped for, and he stopped struggling and concentrated on Albus again. "She is dead. Nagini is dead. He is mortal now. He doesn't know that we extracted the soul fragment out of Harry. I did not reveal this information even though it was very...difficult." Severus closed his eyes in agony while remembering it. Nausea overcame him, and he tried to turn away.

Poppy noticed his discomfort and paused in her healing to cast a spell that stopped the nausea. "Harry, could you please fetch a few potions for me from the cupboard in our bedroom?" She told him which potions she needed, and Harry left immediately.

When he returned, Severus had stopped reporting and Albus was on his way back to his office. After Severus had taken several potions, Poppy cast a Sleeping Spell on him.

Eventually, they levitated him into their bedroom to watch him closely. Harry went into his own room. Voldemort will pay. I will kill that bastard, Harry thought angrily. He gathered his wand and his Invisibility Cloak and went for the door. Using the fireplace would alert Alastor, so Harry wanted to leave through Hogwarts' front door on foot. Furthermore, he had not planned anything, so the walk would give him time to think. How can I find Voldemort? Who cares, I will find a way. He reached for the door handle, but it did not turn. Flabbergasted, he looked down at it. He tried again and felt a strange tingle run through his hand.

"Care to tell me where you are going?" Alastor asked when he appeared behind Harry.

With a quick jerk, Harry turned around. Caught like a deer in the headlights. What could he say?

"I'm listening," Alastor said, scanning Harry with his magical eye.

"I'm going to kill him," Harry blurted out and turned again. The handle still would not turn.

"I put the wards up. You cannot leave until I lower them, and I can assure you that I won't do so anytime soon," Alastor said dangerously.

"Didn't you see what he did to Severus?" Harry screamed at Alastor.

"Yes, I did. And I will make sure that he does not do the same or even worse to my other son," Alastor said seriously.

"I won't wait here and do nothing," Harry said angrily and tried against better judgment to pull forcefully at the handle. Suddenly, a sharp pain went through his hand, and Harry let go.

"Ready to talk now?" Alastor asked.

"Let me out," Harry screamed desperately.

"I thought we talked about how this was going to go? We will let Voldemort come here into our territory, and you won't be the one to kill him," Alastor said sternly.

"I can't wait," Harry said, but already calmer.

"Then I will make you wait," Alastor said, determined.

"That's not fair," Harry said desperately and sank down, his back against the door.

Alastor knelt as much as he was able to with his wooden leg and cupped Harry's tear-stained cheeks. "Harry, Severus has come back to us. That's something he wouldn't have done before you came into our family. Do you really want to pay him back like this? He made the greatest sacrifice for you, and you want to head recklessly into a battle with Voldemort without help?"

Hearing it like that made Harry feel bad. "I promised him," Harry whispered.

"Yes, I know. Let's go to your room, Harry." Gently, Alastor pulled Harry up and guided him to his room. After tucking Harry into bed, he sat down beside him. "Voldemort will attack tomorrow. He is still waiting for some of his allies to gather. Nagini is dead, so we can follow our current plan. Poppy is taking care of Severus, and we both know how good she is. Even if he won't ever be able to do magic or brew, we will still love him, and he will be an important part of out family, won't he?" Alastor asked.

"Of course," Harry sobbed.

"See, everything will turn out. Now you will rest so that you are ready for tomorrow." Alastor gently tucked the bed covers closer around Harry and kissed his forehead. "Sleep, Harry."