Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5 - New Problems

Harry had slept peacefully. Poppy woke him half an hour before breakfast, and he made his way sleepily to the bathroom. He looked carefully around on his way there because he had no intention of running into Professor Snape, especially not in his boxer shorts like Professor Moody had mentioned it last evening. Severus was nowhere to be seen, and Harry made it into the bathroom without meeting anyone. He spent five minutes to try to tame his hair, but eventually gave up. After washing his face and brushing his teeth, he looked around in the hope he would find his clothes here. Like in the bedroom there was no sign of his clothes here as well. Slightly embarrassed, he made his way still in pajamas to the kitchen.

"Morning," he greeted the three adults at the kitchen table. Professor Snape was filling his cup with coffee, and Alastor was placing the newspaper beside his plate.

"How often do I have to tell you that the newspaper has no place at the breakfast table?" Poppy scolded Alastor and grabbed the newspaper to put it on the counter. When Harry announced his arrival, she looked at him smiling. "Ah, Harry. Come on join us for breakfast. What would you like to drink?"

"Ehm...I couldn't find my clothes, Madam Pomfrey." Harry looked shyly from Madam Pomfrey to Professor Snape, who wore black jeans and a black shirt. He almost looked human without his teacher's robes.

"It's Poppy, and you have to go straight back to bed after breakfast, Harry. So, no need for clothes. You can have them back before lunch. Professor Dumbledore will come this morning and add a new room to the quarters for you. Until then you still have to rest in our bedroom," she explained while she ushered him over to the table to sit down opposite to Severus. "Sit down." Looking at his empty cup, she was reminded that Harry hadn't answered her question. "What do you want to drink, Harry? Tea, milk, juice?"

"Milk, please."

"Would you please, Severus?" Poppy asked.

Severus scowled. "Why me?"

"Because you are the nearest to the fridge, Severus. Go and get some milk for Harry," Poppy ordered sternly.

Severus groaned, but stood up. "Severus Snape, Bloody Potter's house-elf," he muttered under his breath.

"Watch your tone, boy," Alastor said warningly. "We all know you are no morning person, but that's no reason to be grumpy to Harry."

"It's holiday. I should be spared from students now, and you have to decide to take one of the worst in," Severus spat.

"I could get the milk myself, Professor," Harry said insecurely.

"Oh, and you say it now when I'm already at the fridge," Severus said sarcastically.

"Severus." Poppy threw a warning glare at him while he came back to the table.

"What? Am I not allowed to tell the truth now were the brat is here?"

"Severus, Harry is not used to your morning grumpiness. Stop it!" Alastor ordered strictly.

Severus glared at Alastor and then turned with a sour smile to Harry. "Here is some milk, our Highness, anything else?"

"That's enough, Severus." Poppy grabbed the milk bottle out of Severus' hand. "Sit down and shut your mouth until you are fully awaken and able to be civil."

‘Hmpf' was all Severus replied. He put a roll on his plate and started to eat; ignoring the others completely.

Harry felt uneasy. Professor Snape seemed not to like that I'm here now. Maybe he wants Alastor and Poppy for himself. Maybe he is jealous. I thought he didn't hate me after giving me the Occlumency lessons. He was very friendly. Harry didn't want the old, hateful Severus back. "I could sleep in my dormitory and eat in the Great Hall," he said, turning to Poppy.

"See what you have done, Severus," Poppy said while glaring at the Potions professor. She turned to Harry, "Of course you will not sleep in your dormitory. You will have your own room here, and you will eat together with us. This is your new home. Don't let Severus annoy you. His mood will become better after a good breakfast, you will see." She smiled at Harry. "And now please eat something."

After a final look at the-Merlin, is he sulking?-Professor, he started to fill his plate. The food was delicious. At the Dursley's, he could never enjoy a breakfast like this. They let him hardly eat with them. They couldn't stand the freak to be at the same table as they were, he was only allowed to serve them. Eating here with his new guardians was much more enjoyable. After two cups of coffee even Professor Snape seemed to relax more and started to talk with Poppy about her Potion stocks. Harry almost jumped when Severus addressed him. "What are your plans for today, Mr. Potter?"

Harry gulped down the bite he had in his mouth. "Eh...plans?"

Severus rolled his eyes. "Yes, plans, Mr. Potter. That's something like a schedule. Something you think you will do to make the day useful, interesting, satisfying." He spat out the last word as if it was something disgusting.

Harry threw a confused glance at Alastor and Poppy. "Am I allowed to leave the quarters?"

"Sure you are. This is not a prison," Alastor said.

Poppy quickly added, "But you may not overdo it the first days, and we always want to know when you leave and when you plan to come back."

"Sure. Maybe I could visit Hagrid," Harry said hopefully.

"Hagrid has already left to visit a friend for a week. I wonder if you would like to help me with some potions?" Severus asked.

Harry stared open-mouthed at Severus. "You want me to help you?"

Severus sighed frustrated. "That's obviously what I said, but be assured I won't say it again." He glared at Harry.

"I would like to help you, Professor," Harry said eagerly. He really would like to help him because he started to like brewing now that Professor Snape wasn't always breathing down his neck. These Occlumency lessons really had helped their relationship. Harry was happy that the Professor didn't sound so grumpy anymore. It seemed he really needed some coffee before he is capable of being social or nice. At least nice in a Snape like way.

"It's Severus in private," Severus said a little unsure.

"Oh, but you called me Mr. Potter last time," Harry said, surprised over the sudden offer. He remembered Alastor saying that Snape had given permission for him to call him by his first name, but he would have never dared before he heard it personally. And even now he hardly dared it. I will just try to avoid any kind of address, Harry thought.

"Did I?" Severus honestly seemed to be trying to remember when he had addressed him like this. Harry could see Alastor grin in his cup. Severus shook his had as if to clear it. "So, will you join me in the dungeons this afternoon or not, Harry?"

"Yes, I would love to." Harry smiled. Next year I will be much better in Potions. This summer will really get interesting. Hermione will die when I tell her. Harry's face fell the moment he thought about his friends. Damn, what shall I tell them? I can't tell them that I jumped from the tower. Hermione will never believe me when I say it was an accident. But, Merlin, I can't tell them that I tried to... Harry didn't even want to think about it. He didn't even realize that his breath was coming in short gasps and that he was staring at one point on the table for some time.

"Harry, what's wrong?" Poppy asked. When she didn't get an answer or any reaction from Harry, she came over to him and touched his shoulder. Harry jumped. The moment he jumped up, he felt he couldn't breath. In a panic, he grabbed at his throat. Out of the corner of his eyes he could see a black flurry figure run out of the kitchen. He heard Madam Pomfrey's voice trying to calm him. He couldn't see her because he was trying to concentrate on one point on the floor while he sank down. I will die. Merlin, I will die, he thought in panic. He tried to pump oxygen into his lungs, but it didn't seem like it was enough.

"Calm down, Harry," Poppy said calmingly to Harry while she steadied his shoulders. "Give me a paper bag from the cupboard, Alastor!" Shortly after the order, Harry felt Madam Pomfrey press said bag against his mouth. If Harry thought he couldn't panic more, he was wrong. No, I need air, he thought frantically and tried to bat the bag out of Madam Pomfrey's hand and away from his mouth. Strong arms encircled him from behind and captured his hand over his chest. "No, lad, don't fight. It will help you." Alastor's baritone was right at Harry's left ear. Now Poppy had free access to his mouth and pressed the bag over it and Harry's nose.

They will kill me, Harry thought scared. Tears were running over his cheeks and if he wouldn't be busied with drawing in deep breaths, he would sob. To Harry's big surprise, he started to calm down, while Madam Pomfrey had a death grip on his head to hold the bag in place.

The black figure, Harry had seen leave the room a few minutes before was now kneeling beside him. A hand was resting on Harry leg, and as Professor Moody was hugging him with both hands from behind and Madam Pomfrey's hands were on his head and mouth, it could only be Professor Snape's hand. Harry tried to look at Severus, but Madam Pomfrey just thought he wanted to pull away and prevented it. "Look at Poppy, Harry. Breathe like she tells you. When you have calmed down enough, I can give you a potion that will help you to relax," Severus said in a voice Harry had never heard of him nor had thought he would be capable of. He sounded worried and understanding. A little bit like yesterday when he had told Harry about the meeting with his relatives.

After Harry had followed Poppy's instructions how to breath for a time, Alastor loosened his grip, and Harry could wriggle a bit to sit more comfortablly. Soon, the bag was removed from his face. Harry still felt very dizzy and exhausted. There was a sharp pain in his chest when he breathed in.

"Fine, now it's safe for you to drink the potion, Harry," Severus said calmly. Poppy gave Severus more space, and he moved directly in front of Harry. When he saw Harry trying to free his hands from Alastor's embrace, he said, "No, Harry, you are not capable to hold the vial right now. Just let me help you." He took Harry's back of his head and instructed, "Just lean back into my hand while I give you the potion. It will not taste good but please relax so that you won't get it in the wrong passage."

Harry complained even when he didn't understand why he couldn't hold the vial alone and why Alastor still was holding him. He felt weak and dizzy and his lung hurt, but that didn't mean he couldn't hold a vial. His breathing was almost normal, it was just his heart that was beating like hell. Severus pressed the vial at Harry's mouth, and Harry leaned back like Severus instructed him. When the sick liquid filled his mouth, he started to panic. He tried to gulp down the honey like liquid and breathe through his nose the same moment. The liquid didn't seem to move down his throat. "Relax Harry and don't breathe," Severus commanded when he saw Harry panic again. He quickly grabbed Harry's nose and pressed it shut. With his other hand he massaged Harry's throat to help the liquid downwards. The whole time Alastor held the squirming boy in a strong grip. When Severus released Harry's nose, Harry tried to gulped in deep breathes beside the coughs that shook his body. "Shh, Harry. Calm down, the potion will kick in soon," Alastor whispered into his ear. And he was right. Harry could feel the potion relaxing his whole body. His heart started to beat slower, and he could

breathe more freely. Alastor loosened his grip and slightly turned Harry sideways to lean against him. Harry was grateful for it and leaned into Alastor's chest. His face deeply hidden in Alastor's robes, Harry led his tears fall freely. "It's okay, Harry. It's over now. Let the potion take over and relax." Alastor spoke in a calm voice, and the vibration of Alastor's chest lulled Harry almost into sleep. His whole body felt warm and relaxed, but his thoughts were still running in his head chaotically.

"Harry, can you look at me again?" Severus asked.

Harry looked up and loosened his grip on Alastor's robes. This made him realize the tremor in his hands. He looked at them, shocked. That's why Snape didn't let me take the vial. Merlin, what's wrong with me. "Potter!" The sharp voice of the Potions professor pulled him out of his thoughts, and he noticed that he was starting to breathe faster again. "Stop thinking and look at me, Harry." Oh, now it was Harry again, Harry thought confused, but did as he was told. Severus had another vial in his hand. "One more to go. This time it won't be so thick." The last part he added when he saw the fear in Harry's eyes.

Harry was tired and just wanted to sleep, but he felt as if he was running the same time. How can someone sleep while running? Harry mused.

Seeing Harry's eyes starting to get unfocused again, he said to Alastor. "Hold him still." Then he grabbed Harry's jaw, forced his mouth open and purred the liquid in. "Swallow!" Commands seem to work much better for the boy at the moment, Severus thought.

Harry swallowed the awful tasting liquid. At least it was running quickly down his throat. Moments later, Harry felt as if his head had blown free. He felt light and relaxed. All the panic and the bad feelings were gone. He couldn't even remember why he was on the kitchen floor in Alastor's arms, but he didn't care.

"You should get him into a bed. He should be asleep soon," Severus said tiredly.

Minutes later Harry lay in the big double bed again. He whimpered slightly when Alastor drew back, and he was alone in the bed, but when Poppy tucked him in, he relaxed. She softly stroked his hair and whispered a sleeping spell. Harry sank into the bed sheets, relaxed.