Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7 - Lunchtime

"Harry, you have to eat more than this," Poppy instructed when she saw Harry playing around with the food on his plate. Before Harry could say anything Poppy had whirled around and was facing Severus now. "If you think I haven't noticed that you made the rest of your meat and half of the vegetables vanish, Severus, you are mistaken. Fill it up again!"

Severus looked dumbfounded at Poppy. "I'm not a child, Poppy." He almost growled. How dare she to speak with him like this in front of Harry.

"Believe me, you don't want to argue with me about this! You all teamed up against me in the training of Harry, but none of you will meddle in my responsibilities as a Mediwitch. You both have to eat three proper meals a day, and both of you are far away from what I call a proper lunch. You even only had a small serving, Severus." She glared daggers at Severus. She will not let him fall back in his old eating habits just because he wanted to play strong in front of Harry. There is a reason why he decided to live with them, and he still had to follow the agreements they had worked out back then.

Seeing that Severus was torn between fighting with Poppy about it or filling his plate again, Harry tried to intervene. "Come on, Pro...Severus. Remember what you told me. It counts for you too, right?" When Severus looked confused at him, Harry added. "You know, the part about how I have to behave to enjoy the summer the most."

Now Severus knew what Harry meant. The problem was that Severus wasn't torn between fighting and obeying but between fighting or leaving. Back when he had agreed to move in with Alastor and Poppy, he had agreed that they will have a close eye on his eating habits. He had gained at least ten kilos since he lived with them. Severus hated eating, and so he knew that he needed them to remind him to eat and even scold him. While they lived alone, he didn't care and was even grateful for it. That didn't mean he didn't fight them from time to time, but it was only half-hearted, and he would always lose. Sometimes he even provoked a fight about it because it felt good to have people looking out for him and caring for him. With Harry living here things changed. He didn't want him to see him weak. Harry's reaction showed him that Harry doesn't seem to see it like this. It seems he doesn't care. He had expected Harry to grin or even laugh at him, but Harry just looked worried. Running away would look cowardly, and when I start a fight, I will loose it. Damn, what shall I do?

"Come on, Severus, you have heard Harry. I'm sure you two have good plans for the summer already, and you don't want them to be spoiled because you start to fall back in your old eating habits. You know that you can't trick us. So, it was a nice try but useless. Just do what Poppy says, and then you two can leave to enjoy your afternoon." With that Alastor shoved the bowl with the vegetables in Severus direction.

"So what are you plans, Harry?" Albus asked to distract Harry from the scene between Alastor, Poppy and Severus. He knew how hard it was for Severus to let them handle him like this in front of Harry. Albus was very glad that Severus accepted the help of Poppy and Alastor. Severus still wasn't in good condition, but at least his chances to survive the Death Eater meetings were bigger than before. They all had tried to convince him to stop being a spy. Yes, he was of great value, but the worry about him when he leaves for a meeting was breaking their hearts. It became more dangerous with each meeting. Voldemort is suspicious and tortures Severus more and more to find out the truth. Every time he went for a meeting they all feared he won't come back. Nothing they said to him made him agree to stop spying. So all they could do was ensure that Severus at least was in a good condition for the meetings with Voldemort. That's the reason why Poppy was so harsh even in front of Harry.

"We wanted to go brewing," Harry answered without looking at Albus. His gaze was fixed on Severus, who was sulkily filling his plate again. Alastor leaned over to Severus and whispered something in his ear that Harry couldn't understand. Severus sighed after hearing it and relaxed visibly.

"Don't forget to eat," Alastor said to Harry when he saw that he was watching Severus and forgot his own food.

"So, what exactly do you want to brew, Severus?" Albus asked.

"We have to fill up the hospital wing stores. So some healing potions and salves," Severus answered, while trying at least to eat his vegetables. He hated to eat. There was nothing enjoyable about it, and Severus never understood how people could like it.

Harry was quicker with his meal and now again was watching Severus. It didn't seem that the Potions master would finish his meal to the satisfaction of the people around him. Harry noticed that the adult were exchanging glances to deliver secret messages.

"Why don't you freshen up, Harry? We will just finish here and then we will show you your room," Poppy said.

Harry knew that they wanted him out of the room and looked worriedly at Severus. "I will wait in your bedroom then."

"No need for this, Harry, I will just accompany you and show you your room," Albus said and stood up.

With a final worried look at Severus, Harry left the room together with Albus.

"Don't worry, Harry, Severus will be okay," Albus assured Harry.

"Maybe it wasn't a good idea to live here." Harry let his shoulders sink.

Albus stopped, grabbed Harry's shoulders and turned him to face him. "Harry, stop thinking like this. Poppy, Alastor and Severus want you here. It's your home now. I think that you get along quite well already, I would have expected more problems. Severus already plans to spend his afternoon with you. Nobody asked him to do this."

"What happens now in there?" Harry asked.

"That's between Severus, Poppy and Alastor, Harry. If Severus wants to tell you something, he will say it," Albus said strictly.

"Yes, sir," Harry said and vanished in the bathroom.

When he came out Albus was still waiting for him. "Ready to have a look at your new room?"

"Sure," Harry said. The curiosity won about the worry about what was happening in the kitchen.

"Wait for me," Alastor called while approaching the two. "So, maybe we can make a tour around the quarters."

"How is Severus?" Harry asked immediately.

"Okay, Harry. You don't have to worry. He will wait for you in the Potions lab," Alastor said calmly. "So, do we want to start our tour?"

If Severus is willing to wait in the Potions lab, what happened couldn't be that bad, and he must be alright. So there was nothing he had to worry about and could enjoy the tour around the quarters. Harry just nodded and then followed Alastor. Albus followed them shortly after.

"This room, which you already know, is our bedroom," Alastor said while passing the door. The quarters were small. There was one long hall from which you could reach each room. When you enter the quarters you are in a small square lounge. The kitchen was right from the entrance door and exactly opposite from the entrance door was the living room. The long hall was started right from the entrance. On its right side first came the bathroom door. A little down the hall on the left side came Alastor and Poppy's bedroom, where the little group was standing right now. They went down the hall until they stood in front of a door on the right side. "This is your room Harry and over there is Severus' room." Alastor pointed slightly right at the opposite side. "Now let's have a look at your room."

When Harry entered his room, he was stunned. The walls were painted in Gryffindor colors and on the walls were pinned Quidditch posters. There was even one with Harry and his Gryffindor team. Harry didn't even know that there were posters like this. He stood open-mouthed in front of it.

"That was Alastor's idea," Albus whispered in Harry's eyes.

"It's fantastic, Alastor, thank you," Harry said, still in awe.

"I thought we couldn't do something wrong with Quidditch posters. You can of course redecorate the whole room. We just wanted to make it cozy for you. The color of the walls can be changed as well," Alastor explained.

"No, it is perfect!" Harry said while looking around in the room. "It's absolutely perfect."

The bed looked very cool. The side bars were looking like Racing brooms and the bedclothes were red with little snitches on it.

"Maybe we have overdone it a little, but Poppy wanted to make up for the lost years. You should have the possibility to be a child or teenager, Harry. We only knew about your passion for Quidditch, and so we decorated it like this."

"It's really fantastic! Dudley had a bed that looked like a plane, but this is much better." He let his finger stroke over the side of the bed. He also had a desk and a small sideboard and a big cupboard in his room. His schoolbooks were arranged in the sideboard and on the desk stood an ink pot and a quill.

"So how do you like your room, Harry?" Poppy, who just had come in, asked.

"I love it. Thank you so very much," Harry said while looking from Poppy to Alastor and back.

"I'm very glad that you like it, Harry." Poppy came over to him and gently stroked his hair. "And now go and run to meet Severus. Make sure that you two are here for the afternoon tea at half past three. Severus often forgets the time over brewing. So it would be nice if you could take care of this."

"Sure," Harry said. With that he made his way down to the dungeons.